Author Topic: Narconon Fresh Start/Sunshine Summit Lodge (was:Re: Nathan Baca Investigates Narconon)  (Read 9447 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I wonder how scripted these success stories are? I noticed several of the students said very similar things.

Maybe Cigul could weigh in on this.

Not Cigul, and I would like to hear what s/he has to say on this too, but in my opinion, when the "students" are being drilled on the same things, in the same way, that is, slowly being turned into a scientology robot, I imagine they would possibly say the similar things without any coaching.  They learn from the others what it takes to finish up and get out of the program - unless, of course, it's such a drug paradise there that they don't want to leave. 

We have heard many times about drug use in the Narconon facilities, seems to be consistent across the board, not limited to one or a few Narconons.  There's even court evidence of that in the Desmond case.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I wonder how scripted these success stories are? I noticed several of the students said very similar things.

Maybe Cigul could weigh in on this.

Not Cigul, and I would like to hear what s/he has to say on this too, but in my opinion, when the "students" are being drilled on the same things, in the same way, that is, slowly being turned into a scientology robot, I imagine they would possibly say the similar things without any coaching.  They learn from the others what it takes to finish up and get out of the program - unless, of course, it's such a drug paradise there that they don't want to leave. 

We have heard many times about drug use in the Narconon facilities, seems to be consistent across the board, not limited to one or a few Narconons.  There's even court evidence of that in the Desmond case.

Good point, ethercat. By the end of the program, they've already been drilled. No coaching is needed.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed

...when the "students" are being drilled on the same things, in the same way, that is, slowly being turned into a scientology robot...

This is very true.  I was struck when I saw Niko Bain's interview for Arrowhead, for example.  He was saying some of the EXACT same things I was saying when I was a young/fresh/eager drug education speaker 12 years ago.  The verbiage is learned, the atmosphere is one of conditioning.  It does become a survival mechanism for students on the program and then for those who become staff it's like a way of getting recognized/rewarded for being "on board".

Offline Cigul

• Met Xenu
Exactly. Further drilling is completely unnecessary. By the time graduation roles around, whether genuine or not, each student has become an expert in writing a success story that reflects exactly what staff are looking for. It is precisely a matter of conditioning. I can also add that, prior to any graduation that was going to be filmed, staff would sit the graduates down and remind them of what would be considered acceptable and what would not. Most students, nervous about graduating and nervous about being filmed, would solicit input and final approval on what they planned to say. So staff did have editorial privileges, let's just say.

I personally knew all four of the gentlemen in that particular grad video. And I believe that they were sincere in what they said. But here's the real tragedy: 75% success rate? Try a 75% relapse rate. At least. Because the reality is that all the sauna pseudoscience and all the TR's and Objectives and all the L. Ron hocus-pocus in the world simply does NOT translate into real drug rehabilitation. As the saying goes...a cat can have kittend in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits. Tragic.
The highest good is like water.
It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Another recent complaint from Ripoff Report about Sunshine Summit Lodge:

Submitted: Saturday, November 03, 2012
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012
Reported By: lucylou — newport Kentucky United States of America

I'm not going to repeat everyone's stories Ive read about narconon. Its horrible! Im a very thorough person but when my son came to me and wanted help, I became emotional and against my better judgement let these people snow me. It started with a "referral" site was suppose to be independent of any rehab programs. Long story short as soon as my son got to the center after his non medical detox he was sent to the center in warner springs california, called sunshine summit lodge, narconon fresh start. Everything these people told me on the phone were complete and utter lies!!! the brochure made it look so nice. They said had the best medical staff at this site with the best doctors and nurses. They have NO medical staff there.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/narconon-fresh-start/consumer-services/warner-springs-california-3c005.htm
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
It appears that ADP has been busy; Narconon Fresh Start Sunshine Summit got busted for running not one, not two but THREE unlicensed facilities in Sunshine Summit (Warner Springs).

I believe the Barn is located on Narconon JLB ranch property, the Big House is west of the general store and the Top House is located on a hill behind the main lodge, maybe Cigul can comment.

The Barn
35955 Highway 79
Warner Springs, CA 92086
License Number: Unlicensed Facility
Cease and Desist Issued: September 6, 2012

The Big House
35422 Highway 79
Warner Springs, CA 92087

The Top House
35025 Highway 79
Warner Springs, CA 92086

http://www.adp.cahwnet.gov/Licensing/pdf/Suspended_and_Revoked_Programs.pdf

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
It appears that ADP has been busy; Narconon Fresh Start Sunshine Summit got busted for running not one, not two but THREE unlicensed facilities in Sunshine Summit (Warner Springs).

I believe the Barn is located on Narconon JLB ranch property, the Big House is west of the general store and the Top House is located on a hill behind the main lodge, maybe Cigul can comment.

The Barn
35955 Highway 79
Warner Springs, CA 92086

The Big House
35422 Highway 79
Warner Springs, CA 92087

The Top House
35025 Highway 79
Warner Springs, CA 92086

http://www.adp.cahwnet.gov/Licensing/pdf/Suspended_and_Revoked_Programs.pdf

Wow! Thanks for the news, Sunshine.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Cigul

• Met Xenu
YES! Oh I have been waiting for them to get busted with those three people mills! You are correct, Sunshine, about the locations. And there are two more in addition. "The Blue House" which is also in the general location of the general store and another directly across the road from the office.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
YES! Oh I have been waiting for them to get busted with those three people mills! You are correct, Sunshine, about the locations. And there are two more in addition. "The Blue House" which is also in the general location of the general store and another directly across the road from the office.

I love your sig, Cigul.
-Dalai Lama

Offline who me?

• Joker and Degrader
If you have not yet done so, it would be great if you could contact the ADP and provide the addresses and other info you have about these locations. I have found them to be helpful on these requests/complaints.
Complaint form: http://www.adp.cahwnet.gov/feedback/Form-ComplaintADP.shtml
Or just scroll down to the "contact us" link at the bottom and email them with an inquiry.

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos

Where there clients living in the Blue House and accross the street?

Offline Cigul

• Met Xenu
For a fact there were and I'm sure still are students living in the blue house. The house across the street was staff/interns only while I was there. However, they abide by no rules regarding that sort of thing; the house up the hill was also designated staff/interns but had staff/interns/students all living together. So who knows? But again, definitely at the blue house.

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
WOW! ||O||

This could get interesting when the IRS gets wind of the fact this 'exempt' organization has been operating unlicensed facilities.  8:O8P|()  I hope.

Wonder what the back-lash, if any, will be on narCONon Int allowing one of their subordinate (per the Closing Agreement/GEN: 2595) organizations to operate illegally this way??

BigBeard

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
For a fact there were and I'm sure still are students living in the blue house. The house across the street was staff/interns only while I was there. However, they abide by no rules regarding that sort of thing; the house up the hill was also designated staff/interns but had staff/interns/students all living together. So who knows? But again, definitely at the blue house.

Thank you, Cigul. Always helpful to have first hand observations like this .
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Update : This information may have been posted in other threads but the link posted earlier above has changed. ADP is no longer the name of the agency in charge of licensing and oversight for programs. CA  Department of Health Care Services is the agency. Here is where one can go to get updated information on licensed and revoked or suspended program. Since this site is so hard to find things on, I suggest anyone wanting to get current information would do well to bookmark the following links

Latest Facility licensing and revocation pdf's Go to link, scroll down and look at Resources. See Residential & Outpatient Licensed and/or Certified Facilities List and the  Suspended/Revoked Residential & Outpatient Facilities List 
http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/provgovpart/Pages/FacilityLicensing.aspx

Suspended/Revoked Residential & Outpatient Facilities List( latest as of 4/14/14)
http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/provgovpart/Documents/Suspended_and_Revoked_Programs.pdf

Residential & Outpatient Licensed and/or Certified Facilities List  Latest as of 02/11/15
http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/Documents/Status_Report_February_2015_ada.pdf

They use the same pdf named links whenever they update if but if you Google search these things you will find earlier versions posted on their site, confusing the matter further. Best to bookmark their page with the Resources listing current pdfs by date
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.