Author Topic: Business Consumer Alliance Narconon Complaints  (Read 2168 times)

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
Business Consumer Alliance Narconon Complaints
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:12 »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but this is another ripoffreport-style complaint website called Business Consumer Alliance.

In searching for Narconon, there were several filed towards Narconon, especially Narconon Fresh Start.

What is unique about these complaints is that in many of them, Narconon actually wrote rather callous rebuttals to these poor families.

http://www.businessconsumeralliance.org/PublicComplaints.aspx?CompanyID=13106049

Here is an example of one of their rebuttals:

Detail: I sent my son to the Texas Lonestar Ranch for Recovery which is part of Narconon of Southern California. I called on August 13th to get some help and by August 15th he was on his way. Before I could send him they needed $15,500 deposit and $13,500 balance to be paid within two weeks. I spoke to a counselor on the phone and never once did they tell me that they don't give out prescribed medication and that they don't accept medical insurance. They lead me to believe they would use the insurance provided. I assume they are medically detoxing him but I was wrong. By the time he was at the ranch he called and said this is crazy and I believe they are affiliated with Scientology. They keep asking me if I am a reporter or do I work for CNN. He said they won't give me my lithium for bi-polar and it is prior patients doing the work of counselors. I sent a letter requesting my refund and I just received a letter telling me they would refund $8,700 out of the $15,500 I sent. They bills were never submitted to Blue Cross Blue Shield. I spoke to their lawyer Bruce Haddrill (775-726-3158) and he informed me that I had no legal recourse and that I should accept what they offered me. If you look at any websites you will see many other similar complaints. I don't want to send another legal document telling me once I accept their $8,700 I need to go away. They are charging me $6,800 for 8-9 days treatment.

Company's Response Posted: 02/08/2011
Summary: The Narconon Executive Council determined that a fair cost was $6,800. Since the payment for his program was $15,500, the refund amount then would be $8,700. Response: Response to BBB complaint foiled Feb. 2, 2011 from Jeanne Hensler re Matt Hensler at NN SoTX. The Narconon program is a drug free program. We do not give drugs to get people off drugs. It is highly unusual for this not to be conveyed to our prospects. Narconon does accept insurance, however, because Matt was only with us for 5 days there was no time to file an insurance claim. Possibly an insurance claim could be submitted now, after Matt has left the program, and Narconon is willing to do this for Jeanne Hensler. The need or lack of need for a medical detox is determined by Narconon’s medical doctors and the Case Supervisor for the student. In Matt’s case a medical detox was determined to be not needed. Narconon’s relationship to Scientology is one of licensing. Narconon is licensed to use selected discoveries of L. Ron Hubbard because these discoveries have lead people out of drug addiction for over 40 years. Narconon was founded by William Benitez. There is no recruitment for Scientology at Narconon. If one wants Scientology, one must go to a Scientology Church. Narconon deals with getting people off drugs and alcohol. Period. Matt wanted lithium, using his “bi-polar” condition as an excuse. He wanted to be at Narconon because he thought it would be fun. He apparently had no intention of becoming rehabilitated. Prior patients at Narconon often join staff, do stringent training and help others overcome addiction just as they have been helped. Some of our staff are interns. Others are permanent staff. Most are Chemical Dependency certified and all have one goal only, to get their students through the program. The cost for Matt’s stay with us was arrived at by looking at the cost of the time he was with us and the cost of the services he started while with us. The Narconon Executive Council determined that a fair cost was $6,800. Since the payment for his program was $15,500, the refund amount then would be $8,700. In truth, we do not want Matt or his mother to “go away”. Matt can return to Narconon and do his program. We allow absent students to return and remain any length of time. The Narconon program is not based on time. Some students take 3 months to complete the whole program, some take as much as a year. (Please note that the whole program consists of 8 Books and several additional steps, the last of which is for the student himself to make a plan for his life.) The fee is the same. The intention is to get the student through the program so he/she can decide for himself/herself to lead a drug-free life. Obviously, Matt has decided that he wishes to remain on drugs, at least lithium, from the information we have at this time. This attitude could well have changed had he remained at Narconon. Again, Matt is welcome to return and welcome to complete his Narconon program. The refund amount offered to Jeanne Hensler is fair. All she has to do is sign the release and her refund will be paid.

I like how Narconon uses quotes around "bi-polar" implying the usual sarcasm that it isn't a real thing.  In addition, the phrase "he wanted to be at Narconon because he thought it would be fun" is amazing.  In other words, in one moment you describe the patient as defiant, then later you suggest that he wanted to attend a 3-6 month drug rehab program because it would be "fun"?  Must be difficult to try and stop all these darn teenagers from trying to get into Narconon just for the fun of it all.

After reading the rest of them, I am absolutely appalled at the lack of sympathy, empathy, or consideration towards these patients.  Essentially each of these rebuttals essentially says "go f--- yourself".

Here's another:

Complaint Posted: 9/8/2011
Summary: Consumer states; My letter dated 6/6/11, requested a response in writing to me as soon as possible. That has not happened.
Resolution Sought:
Consumer states; Based on one fact alone, and that is the use of Scientology Methods that was kept from us, should be enough to get our refund.
Detail: Consumer states; My letter dated 6/6/11, requested a response in writing to me as soon as possible. That has not happened. I have enclosed an article titled Training Routines (Scientology) which we believe was used on our son Matthew Caldwell while he was in treatment at your Ft Collins Facility. We believe that these Scientology based training routines that was used on him had a strong hypnotic effect and was instrumental of his state of mind when he left your facility 5/7/11, causing him to have no recollection of the following 3 weeks, and caused the post traumatic stress condition that he is presently being treated for. We are disappointed and appalled that our son, who was sent to you in good faith, has suffered deeply and continues to suffer from the treatment he received while attending your facility. We are also disappointed that you have ignored our request for our refund and that we will now have to spend more money in legal fees. Based on one fact alone, and that is the use of Scientology Methods that was kept from us, should be enough to get our refund.

Company's Response Posted: 08/17/2011
Summary: Narconon is a secular, non-religious, non-denominational program which accepts people of all faiths just as a Catholic school or a 12 step program does. Response: (Capital letters summarize the complaint. Small letters are Narconon’s [NN] response.) ARTICLE TRAINING ROUTINES USED ON MATTHEW-HYPNOTIC The truth about Narconon is readily available in Narconon promotional materials and literature. Narconon was founded by William Benitez in 1966 at Arizona State Prison. Mr. Benitez requested, and was granted, use of certain materials, including training routines in communication, developed by Mr. L. Ron Hubbard, who also founded the Church of Scientology. These training routines are part of the Narconon program because they help a student overcome his addiction. Narconon has a documented success rate of 75% or more over 43+ years in helping people overcome addiction. Our record speaks for itself. STATE OF MIND WHEN LEFT NN This student wrote several success stories while on the Narconon program, as documented in his student file and he was drug-free when he left. SUFFERS FROM NN TREATMENT This student made gains as documented in his student file he completed the program and was drug free when he left. IGNORED REQUEST FOR REFUND Narconon processed the refund request and determined that, because the student completed the program and left drug free there was no basis for a refund. Narconon students are given an opportunity to return for a program review at no charge if he reverts within six months of leaving the program. The student and family declined to do so. Further, this parent signed a Consumer Service Policy Agreement which clearly states no refund. NOT BEING TOLD THIS WAS SCIENTOLOGY JUSTIFIES A REFUND Narconon is a secular, non-religious, non-denominational program which accepts people of all faiths just as a Catholic school or a 12 step program does. Narconon is not Scientology. Narconon has many friends of many different faiths who support and promote our program because of its success.

Consumer's Rebuttal Posted: 09/08/2011
Consumer states: I am 100% not satisfied with the company's response. The are affiliated with Scientology when they pay to use them training methods. I would like to know how their success rate is documented. If my son is part of their success rate by completing this program and leaving drug free, then its not true because when he left May 7. His first stop was at a local bar to try and drink. One of his roommates died from an overdose this week. I want a refund of my $30000. This is far from being settled.

Company's Final Response Posted: 09/10/2011
The Narconon program was established in 1966 by William Benitez in Arizona State Prison. Mr. Benitez requested from Mr. L. Ron Hubbard, who is also the founder of the Church of Scientology, the right to use training materials (training routines) developed by Mr. Hubbard to teach communication skills. These are confront and communication drills which have been found to be effective in helping addicts improve their ability to confront life and communicate with others about their problems. An addict turns to drugs and alcohol when there is some life situation they cannot confront and/or communicate about to others. Narconon is a non-religious, non-denominational secular rehabilitation program that accepts addicts of all faiths without prejudice. Our students come to us from all religious backgrounds and are free to practice their own faith while doing the Narconon program. Our success rate was documented by an independent third-party company and is available at: www(dot)narconon(dot)org/about-narconon/program-evaluations.html. This consumer’s son was not and is not part of any documented success rate by this third-party company.

Just absolute jerks...

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Re: Business Consumer Alliance Narconon Complaints
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 23:33 »
Yes, I have been to that site in the past. Good catch on these...

These idiots from Narconon are violating HIPAA laws discussing client privileged medical information.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:44 »

These idiots from Narconon are violating HIPAA laws discussing client privileged medical information.

Have they been reported yet?
BigBeard

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:12 »
This consumer’s son was not and is not part of any documented success rate by this third-party company.

Pretty sure this is how they protect themselves.  Referring to a third party company's success rate study.

Knowing Narconon, I'm wondering why they just didn't do a dozen independent studies of just one student each study.  Then when they find the study where the one student stayed sober for a year, just refer to that study.  They could then advertise a 100% success rate based upon outside independent studies.

I can't imagine this is a legitimate way to advertise and determine success rates.  It's such a shell game.  In other words, families are being led to believe that this is a current success rate, not "there was this one time decades ago where a study was done on a couple dozen students and they stayed sober way back then."

Imagine if Betty Ford clinic said to potential clients "Well, about 20 years ago there were these 10 clients who attended our program and 8 of them stayed sober for a few years." 

Just crazy. 

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 13:40 »

Have they been reported yet?

I have no idea. They are allowed to discuss things when it regards a billing dispute but they should have known that the responses would be made public by the site.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.