Author Topic: Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield v. Avee, et. al. including Does and ABC Corps  (Read 8659 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Yes, often the DOJ settles. These are multi-million dollar settlements, but still, no charges?

However, I'm not surprised that scammers come up with new ways to scam, particularly when the pay-off is so lucrative.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
I agree...
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Something I missed from January about Florida AG Pam Bondi urging Medicare to pay Millennium's claims for drug tests.

AG in Florida pressured feds to pay claims of corrupt urine testing company - Insurance Fraud News

January 09, 2016, Tallahassee, FL — Florida’s top law enforcement officials knew by 2012 that Millennium Laboratories, the nation’s largest drug testing company, was defrauding Florida Medicaid of millions.

But that did not stop Attorney General Pam Bondi from urging Medicare to pay for high-priced and unnecessary drug screening tests at the heart of Millennium’s massive scam, even as her own office and federal prosecutors pursued civil charges against the company.

Hours after The Post reported on the letter Friday afternoon, Bondi, who previously declined to be interviewed for this story, wrote in an email that staffers had written the letter, and that, “Knowing what I know now, The Palm Beach Post is correct that the letter should not have been sent.”

More at http://www.insurancefraud.org/IFNS-detail.htm?key=21675
Link to letter: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2678518-Bondi-Letter-March-2014.html

We have more on Pam Bondi in this thread: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12811.msg3435C8.html#msg34358

and more about Pam Bondi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Bondi
http://tonyortega.org/?s=Pam+Bondi&submit.x=19&submit.y=9&submit=Search

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:14 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
This is very enlightening, mefree. Thanks for posting it. I see that the article at insurancefraud.org is a reprint from My Palm Beach Post, which is member of the a Cox Media Group. I wonder if any followup was done by  Pat Beall - Palm Beach Post Staff Writer.  Seems like there is room for more digging, and noise making about this connection, now that Pam Bondi is being considered for US Attorney General or some other high level enforcement office by Trump.
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/news/attorney-general-pam-bondi-backed-testing-at-cente/npzsw/
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
This is very enlightening, mefree. Thanks for posting it. I see that the article at insurancefraud.org is a reprint from My Palm Beach Post, which is member of the a Cox Media Group. I wonder if any followup was done by  Pat Beall - Palm Beach Post Staff Writer.  Seems like there is room for more digging, and noise making about this connection, now that Pam Bondi is being considered for US Attorney General or some other high level enforcement office by Trump.
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/news/attorney-general-pam-bondi-backed-testing-at-cente/npzsw/

I'll check!
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
A class action lawsuit against Alere from November 2016.

According to the lawsuit, throughout the Class Period Defendants made false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that: (1) Alere’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Arriva Medical, LLC (“Arriva”), was submitting claims to Medicare for deceased patients; (2) the foregoing conduct subjected Arriva to revocation of its Medicare enrollment; and (3) as a result, defendants’ statements about Alere’s business, operations, and prospects, were false and misleading and/or lacked a reasonable basis. On November 4, 2016, Alere revealed that Arriva’s Medicare enrollment will be revoked by Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (“CMS”) based on CMS’ assertion that Arriva had allegedly submitted claims for 211 deceased patients over a five year period. On this news, shares of Alere fell $6.13 per share or over 14.5% from its previous closing price to close at $36.10 per share on November 4, 2016.

More at http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161114006653/en
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Interesting, thanks, mefree.
BTW, Whats happening on the drug testing issue with Alere? Or am I mixing them up with another company in this thread?

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
BTW, Whats happening on the drug testing issue with Alere? Or am I mixing them up with another company in this thread?

Alere owns this company (Arriva). It's not entirely related, but evidence of more insurance fraud, in this case billing for services not rendered to several deceased patients.

I haven't been able to locate an update on the drug testing matter, but will keep an eye on it.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Alere owns this company (Arriva). It's not entirely related, but evidence of more insurance fraud, in this case billing for services not rendered to several deceased patients.

I haven't been able to locate an update on the drug testing matter, but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I've been meaning to post this:

Four Defendants Plead Guilty in Multi-Million Health Care Fraud and Money Laundering Scheme Involving Sober Homes and Alcohol and Drug Addiction Treatment Centers - DOJ, Southern District of Florida

Four defendants including two sober home owners, the clinical director of a substance abuse treatment center, and a sales representative for multiple laboratories pled guilty last week for their participation in a health care fraud and money laundering scheme that involved the filing of fraudulent insurance claim forms and defrauded health care benefit programs.

To obtain residents for the sober homes, members of the conspiracy provided kickbacks and bribes, in the form of free or reduced rent and other benefits, to individuals with insurance who agreed to reside at the sober homes, attend drug treatment, and submit to regular drug testing that members of the conspiracy could bill to the residents’ insurance plans. Although the sober homes were purportedly drug-free residences, Chatman, Davis, and Bonds permitted the residents to continue using drugs as long as they attended treatment and submitted to drug testing.

Defendants Kenneth Chatman and Davis engaged in various tactics to keep patients from being able to leave Reflections and Journey, including threatening violence, and confiscating their belongings, such as car keys, telephones, medications, and food stamps, in order to maintain the ability to continue fraudulently billing their insurance companies.

Defendant Kenneth Chatman also recruited and coerced female patients and residents into prostitution, telling them that they would not have to pay rent or participate in treatment or testing so long as they would allow him to continue to bill their insurance companies for substance abuse treatment and testing that the patients did not receive.

more at https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdfl/pr/four-defendants-plead-guilty-multi-million-health-care-fraud-and-money-laundering
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
I've been meaning to post this:

Four Defendants Plead Guilty in Multi-Million Health Care Fraud and Money Laundering Scheme Involving Sober Homes and Alcohol and Drug Addiction Treatment Centers - DOJ, Southern District of Florida

Four defendants including two sober home owners, the clinical director of a substance abuse treatment center, and a sales representative for multiple laboratories pled guilty last week for their participation in a health care fraud and money laundering scheme that involved the filing of fraudulent insurance claim forms and defrauded health care benefit programs.

To obtain residents for the sober homes, members of the conspiracy provided kickbacks and bribes, in the form of free or reduced rent and other benefits, to individuals with insurance who agreed to reside at the sober homes, attend drug treatment, and submit to regular drug testing that members of the conspiracy could bill to the residents’ insurance plans. Although the sober homes were purportedly drug-free residences, Chatman, Davis, and Bonds permitted the residents to continue using drugs as long as they attended treatment and submitted to drug testing.

Defendants Kenneth Chatman and Davis engaged in various tactics to keep patients from being able to leave Reflections and Journey, including threatening violence, and confiscating their belongings, such as car keys, telephones, medications, and food stamps, in order to maintain the ability to continue fraudulently billing their insurance companies.

Defendant Kenneth Chatman also recruited and coerced female patients and residents into prostitution, telling them that they would not have to pay rent or participate in treatment or testing so long as they would allow him to continue to bill their insurance companies for substance abuse treatment and testing that the patients did not receive.

more at https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdfl/pr/four-defendants-plead-guilty-multi-million-health-care-fraud-and-money-laundering

Oh my!! Good to know someone is paying attention and doing something about these kind of scams.

In reading the Justice Dept's press release , it seems like the title it doesn't give a full picture on what was going on and how many have been charged with crimes!  More than 4 people, including the physician medical director ( who pled guilty )

I am adding this from the release, in case someone visiting RFTTP happens to have been victimized or knows of a victim of these programs or sober living homes and the people who ran them:
:
Potential victims should call (561) 822-5114 or submit complaints through the IC3 Complaint Form - https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx and use the key word “Chatman Reflections” in the “Description of the Incident” field when submitting complaints related to this case.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Good idea, Mary.

That entire business about confiscating belongings to prevent patients from leaving, the drug testing and the health care fraud were oh so familiar.  >:(

I would also like to commend these guys for going after the scamsters.

Mr. Ferrer commended the investigative efforts of the Greater Palm Beach Health Care Fraud Task Force. Agencies of the task force include the FBI, IRS-CI, the Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office Sober Homes Task Force, Florida Division of Investigative and Forensic Services, Martin County Sheriff's Office, Amtrak OIG, DOL-OIG, DOL-EBSA, National Insurance Crime Bureau, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, West Palm Beach Police Department, Delray Beach Police Department, Florida Attorney General Office of Statewide Prosecution, and OPM-OIG. The cases are being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney A. Marie Villafaña.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
More on this story with some good news from DCF, but as usual they're under-resourced.

“DCF has zero tolerance for anyone being taken advantage of and this work will help ensure a more comprehensive review of potential treatment providers,” she said.

The agency said it also will lobby for more authority to begin monitoring sober homes, which currently have no licensing requirements.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime--law/state-vows-step-wake-treatment-center-owner-arrest/3NtSBO0RtQgBMVvE47cVkL/

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3245369/Fed-Complaint-on-Chatman-and-Others.pdf
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:31 by mefree »
-Dalai Lama