Author Topic: New Lawsuit against Narconon Fresh Start  (Read 3680 times)

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
New Lawsuit against Narconon Fresh Start
« on: February 26, 2014, 13:14 »
http://tonyortega.org/2014/02/26/ryan-hamilton-files-another-lawsuit-against-scientologys-nevada-drug-rehab-facility/

A mother calls Narconon’s $33,000 rehab treatment for her son a fraudulent and dangerous recruitment tool for Scientology, which, though mentioned throughout the 20-page lawsuit, is not named as a defendant.

From the court papers submitted, apparently Narconon sent this information to the family:

Our program is a long-term, residential, highly supervised, private pay drug and alcohol rehabilitation program. Additionally, it is the only drug rehabilitation program that addresses the issue of removing the deep-rooted drug residuals (including alcohol, aspirin, medications, radiation and illegal substances) in the body cells and tissues through our sauna portion of the program. Proven scientifically and medically, this eliminates
all future drug cravings. …

Proven scientifically and medically, this eliminates all future drug cravings?

Which means that they are claiming that, as a result of their magical program, anyone who participates in the sauna program will NEVER experience cravings again.  So, how exactly does anyone use drugs after Narconon?  And why is there any need to have anything other than this wonder of a sauna?

I would hope that this lawsuit and future ones address the phrase "this eliminates all future drug cravings".  Great choice of words.  Not SOME, but ALL.

Quite a claim for a rehab to make.  I can't wait to see the supporting evidence for this magic.

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
Re: New Lawsuit against Narconon Fresh Start
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:59 »
http://laist.com/2014/02/03/narconon_sued_for_being_scientology.php

In this article, a Scientology leader speaks.

The Star reported there is an ongoing investigation at the Narconon's Oklahoma facility after three families have filed lawsuits over three clients who have died there. Rev. Yvette Shank, a spokeswoman for the Church of Scientology, told the Star that although Narconon “has its origins” in the religious writings of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, is a “secular” program that “teaches no belief system.”

Hmmmm....

Teaches no belief system?  That sounds ironically like something else....the definition of Scientology.

Scientology means 'scio', knowing in the fullest sense of the word and 'logos', study. In itself the word means 'knowing how to know'.Scientology is a 'route', a way, rather than a dissertation or assertive body of knowledge. Through its drills and studies one may find the truth for himself. The technology is therefore NOT expounded as something to believe, but something to 'do'.
— L. Ron Hubbard

I've heard for so long that Narconon isn't scientology, but according to the very definition of Scientology itself....it apparently is.

At least Narconon doesn't teach a belief system, like explaining the 8 dynamics as including the Spirit and Infinite Creator.  Oh wait...it does.

Offline fallenangel

• On the path to knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 21:12 »
If sauna is so helpful with ridding the body of drug and alcohol residuals and future cravings of alcohol/drugs then why have so many of my fellow friends and aquaintences i met at Narconon  passed away from returning back to substance abuse and alcohol after going through a program offering such a high success rate and touting their life changing literature, sauna and vitamin regime?

Because sadly an individual is sent back into the same environment from which they came with no information valueble from the program to cope with cravings other than some bravado that one can 'handle and control' any situation or object around them, a person new to sobriety can not just jump back into life, one must be vigilant, seek support and aftercare. It is FOOLISH to advertise to the public that a program can miraculously rid an addict or alcoholic from his or her compulsion of addiction!!

I began to realize that some trade one drug addiction for another or turn to alcohol. After  being notified each and every time a person i once knew  on a personal basis has died from overdose or turned back substance abuse saddens me.
Many that i graduated with from the program gave grand success stories infront of family and friends, but the 'success' that the Narconon program sells you is nothing more than an emp hope that unfortunatley leaves familys without a loved one and questioning Does Narconon really Work??...

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 22:00 »
Because sadly an individual is sent back into the same environment from which they came with no information valueble from the program to cope with cravings other than some bravado that one can 'handle and control' any situation or object around them, a person new to sobriety can not just jump back into life, one must be vigilant, seek support and aftercare. It is FOOLISH to advertise to the public that a program can miraculously rid an addict or alcoholic from his or her compulsion of addiction!!

Yep. Most people are hoping to leave treatment with a few tools beyond a wing and a prayer. Help is available, but will people seek it after their Narconon experiences? Some will be turned off to treatment, I'm afraid.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline dessolaz

• New Around Here
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28 »
From the court papers submitted, apparently Narconon sent this information to the family:

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:36 »

Welcome!

I am not sure what you are referring to. There was nothing posted in your comment after that second sentence. Care to elaborate?
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.