Author Topic: Narconon Trout Run in Maryland ( marketed as in DC but no where near DC)  (Read 28969 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Social Betterment's attorney was visibly upset
He sure was!  ;)

You did a great job under difficult circumstances. Thanks for going to the hearing and speaking up.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Besides our forum and the wonderfully informative Narconon Reviews website ( http://narcononreviews.net ) also visit:

Some of the same  info as above and additional information can be found on these 2 forums:
Ex-Scientologist Message Board
New Narconon Site in Maryland. Hearing Tuesday.
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?38967-New-Narconon-Site-in-Maryland-Hearing-Tuesday

Anonymous Forum - Why We Protest
Narconon in Trout Run, Maryland
Discussion in 'Narconon' started by The Wrong Guy, Apr 3, 2015.
https://whyweprotest.net/threads/narconon-in-trout-run-maryland.125200/

Places to visit
Facebook Groups
Narconon Reviews .net  - Public Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/472351746188994/

Casualties of Narconon - Public Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5347605858

SayNoNarcononWarburton  - Closed Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/567258080001131/

Maybe someone can start a Say NO to Narconon Trout Run?

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Social Betterment's attorney was visibly upset
He sure was!  ;)

You did a great job under difficult circumstances. Thanks for going to the hearing and speaking up.

Thank you, mefree  \--O--/
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
Sylvia Carignan from the Frederick News-Post does an excellent follow up:

Local residents dispute historic nature of Trout Run
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/environment/local-residents-dispute-historic-nature-of-trout-run/article_6ad8b763-4376-5247-a648-c766e4b5ad2d.html
Some Frederick County residents believe the Trout Run retreat doesn’t deserve the historic designation it would need to become a proposed Scientology-affiliated drug rehabilitation center.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Thanks, mefree.

Readers,  here is some other news that came out today and a place where people can comment on it, using Disqus commenting system which is a 1, 2, 3, quick registration for those not using it already

Trout Run Property Owners Seek Approval for Scientology-Linked Drug Treatment Center
Mallory Sofastaii Your4state.com  Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc.
04/20/2015 03:36 PM. 04/20/2015 07:32 PM

http://www.your4state.com/story/d/story/trout-run-property-owners-seek-approval-for-scient/41806/O46Kc6UKm06Wl4AMALkcRg

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
'Yes' is currently in the lead with 42.4%, 'No' is at 37.5%, and 'Where's Trout Run?' at 20.1%.

I think the 'Where's Trout Run?' bit is skewing the results. Maybe a quick cross post to WWP, ESMB, and TonyO's pages will help if someone has the time.
BigBeard

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Like your comment on the 'Your4State' page Mary, lays it out plain and simple. New one up laying out the "narCONon is secular" lie too.
BigBeard

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Like your comment on the 'Your4State' page Mary, lays it out plain and simple. New one up laying out the "narCONon is secular" lie too.

Thanks BB. And thanks for your efforts, especially over at WWP on this!

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
'Yes' is currently in the lead with 42.4%, 'No' is at 37.5%, and 'Where's Trout Run?' at 20.1%.

I think the 'Where's Trout Run?' bit is skewing the results. Maybe a quick cross post to WWP, ESMB, and TonyO's pages will help if someone has the time.

Gee, this is bad... more yes'. They must have the troops out hitting up the yes. We need NO's

It's OK on the "Where's Trout Run" because that just goes to show that no one even knows about the place. More evidence that it's not historic.

But can you get the NO vote mentioned. I hope there was not a misunderstanding on this and critics are hitting YES when they should hit NO

Offline DeathHamster

• Actual Trouble Source
A new drill for the TRs: "Do Trout Run?"

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Put a note up on WWP and TonyO's earlier, and it looks like "NO" has pulled slightly ahead on the Fredricksburg News-Post poll. As of a minute a go it's "NO" 44.1%, "YES" 41.2%, and "Where is?" at 14.7%.

Another 3 hours or so and I guess will find out the results from the only vote that really matters.
BigBeard

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
A new drill for the TRs: "Do Trout Run?"

3((:

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Put a note up on WWP and TonyO's earlier, and it looks like "NO" has pulled slightly ahead on the Fredricksburg News-Post poll. As of a minute a go it's "NO" 44.1%, "YES" 41.2%, and "Where is?" at 14.7%.

Another 3 hours or so and I guess will find out the results from the only vote that really matters.

Thanks BigBeard! That's good to know. I'll keep pushing for votes where ever I can. 

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Any word from the hearing yet?
BigBeard

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
Sylvia Carignan from Frederick News-Post live tweeted and it was webcast. Decision postponed for a month. More details here: https://twitter.com/SylviaCarignan

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Bummer.
BigBeard

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Sylvia Carignan from Frederick News-Post live tweeted and it was webcast. Decision postponed for a month. More details here: https://twitter.com/SylviaCarignan

Thanks so much, AL, I have been out all day and have had no access to the internet until now and just missed the decision part on the LIVE link

Her tweets are perfect for updating forum readers. Best read in reverse, lol

Sylvia Carignan
@SylviaCarignan

Tweets Tweets & replies Photos & videos

Sylvia Carignan @SylviaCarignan  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Council moves on to the next item. The debate over a Narconon drug treatment center for Trout Run goes on.
1 retweet 1 favorite

Otis' vote postpones the decision. Shreve says they should change the county slogan to "We will make a decision, eventually."
1 retweet 1 favorite

Council will now vote on whether to postpone the decision more than 30 days from now, to allow review of documents and testimony...
0 retweets 1 favorite

Shreve: "This applicant has vested thousands of dollars in this already."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Shreve on Trout Run: "I don't see any reason why we shouldn't move forward, vote on this tonight." Says postponing costs applicant money.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Chomel: Members of the HPC, which have already signed off on this, are experts.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Chomel: "This is a very limited role."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Sr. assistant Frederick County attorney Michael Chomel: Council must limit its decision to historic nature. Not use, not applicant's beliefs
0 retweets 0 favorites

Council member Billy Shreve wants to vote now on Trout Run designation. "This is one of the easiest decisions we'll ever make."
2 retweets 1 favorite

Donald also says he's not ready to vote on Trout Run historic designation.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Council member Tony Chmelik says the decision should not be postponed. "The HPC has definitely done their due diligence on this one."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Keegan-Ayer moves to close the record and postpone the decision to allow the council to digest information.
0 retweets 0 favorites

County council member M.C. Keegan-Ayer asking about records of Hoover visiting the site. Kuranda: "It's a side note."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kuranda on Trout Run: "It is a very special, well-integrated design that respects the landscape."
0 retweets 0 favorites
Sylvia Carignan @SylviaCarignan  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Donald: Camp David, etc. are built like this. Why is Trout Run special? Kuranda: The unique details + fact that it's private set it apart.
0 retweets 0 favorites

County councilmember Jerry Donald: The evidence for Herbert Hoover and fishing "got dropped pretty quickly."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean on granting historic designation for Trout Run: "It's a win-win for the county."
2 retweets 0 favorites

Dean: No professionals have testified that the Trout Run site does not deserve historic designation.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean: "I think there is a slight misunderstanding of the role of what we're trying to do here."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kuranda: No evidence has been presented to refute the argument for Trout Run's historic designation.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kuranda: Trout Run is an intact example of rustic camp architecture.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kate Kuranda, historical consultant for the project, giving an overview of the approvals they've received for the drug treatment ctr plan.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean asking Proffitt questions he already knows the answers to.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean: Would construction plans harm Trout Run site? Proffitt: No. "We've worked everything to become a positive."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Summary of Proffitt's whirlwind tour of Trout Run: Lots of rot. And a raccoon.
1 retweet 1 favorite

Proffitt: In Trout Run buildings: a rotting deck, water damage, "extensive rot."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Proffitt: The Yugoslav house has tarp over the roof to temporarily patch a hole. Other buildings have mold, standing water in crawlspace.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Proffitt: "Birch" building has termite damage in the floor, subfloor, walls. A major renovation project, he says.
0 retweets 0 favorites

20 minutes on the clock for Bruce Dean's team, starting with architect Michael Proffitt.
1 retweet 0 favorites

Council president Bud Otis says this is taking longer than anticipated. Public hearings will be moved after 7 p.m. tonight.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Sometimes 5 minutes is 10 minutes. Alright, back on track. Bruce Dean and Michael Proffitt are up with historical consultant Kate Kuranda.

You might want to follow these similar accounts
WGL
@WGLanswers Promoted

Leading provider of diverse energy solutions across 30 states. Your source for Energy…
Rachel S. Karas
@rachelkaras

Associate #ACA editor @InHealthPolicy. Recently @FredNewsPost, …
Danielle E. Gaines
@DanielleEGaines

Courts/legal affairs reporter for @frednewspost. Also tweeting about …
Tweets

Tweets Tweets & replies Photos & videos

Council moves on to the next item. The debate over a Narconon drug treatment center for Trout Run goes on.
1 retweet 1 favorite

Otis' vote postpones the decision. Shreve says they should change the county slogan to "We will make a decision, eventually."
1 retweet 1 favorite

Council will now vote on whether to postpone the decision more than 30 days from now, to allow review of documents and testimony...
0 retweets 1 favorite

Shreve: "This applicant has vested thousands of dollars in this already."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Shreve on Trout Run: "I don't see any reason why we shouldn't move forward, vote on this tonight." Says postponing costs applicant money.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Chomel: Members of the HPC, which have already signed off on this, are experts.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Chomel: "This is a very limited role."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Sr. assistant Frederick County attorney Michael Chomel: Council must limit its decision to historic nature. Not use, not applicant's beliefs
0 retweets 0 favorites

Council member Billy Shreve wants to vote now on Trout Run designation. "This is one of the easiest decisions we'll ever make."
2 retweets 1 favorite

Donald also says he's not ready to vote on Trout Run historic designation.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Council member Tony Chmelik says the decision should not be postponed. "The HPC has definitely done their due diligence on this one."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Keegan-Ayer moves to close the record and postpone the decision to allow the council to digest information.
0 retweets 0 favorites

County council member M.C. Keegan-Ayer asking about records of Hoover visiting the site. Kuranda: "It's a side note."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kuranda on Trout Run: "It is a very special, well-integrated design that respects the landscape."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Donald: Camp David, etc. are built like this. Why is Trout Run special? Kuranda: The unique details + fact that it's private set it apart.
0 retweets 0 favorites

County councilmember Jerry Donald: The evidence for Herbert Hoover and fishing "got dropped pretty quickly."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean on granting historic designation for Trout Run: "It's a win-win for the county."
2 retweets 0 favorites

Dean: No professionals have testified that the Trout Run site does not deserve historic designation.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean: "I think there is a slight misunderstanding of the role of what we're trying to do here."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kuranda: No evidence has been presented to refute the argument for Trout Run's historic designation.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kuranda: Trout Run is an intact example of rustic camp architecture.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kate Kuranda, historical consultant for the project, giving an overview of the approvals they've received for the drug treatment ctr plan.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean asking Proffitt questions he already knows the answers to.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean: Would construction plans harm Trout Run site? Proffitt: No. "We've worked everything to become a positive."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Summary of Proffitt's whirlwind tour of Trout Run: Lots of rot. And a raccoon.
1 retweet 1 favorite

Proffitt: In Trout Run buildings: a rotting deck, water damage, "extensive rot."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Proffitt: The Yugoslav house has tarp over the roof to temporarily patch a hole. Other buildings have mold, standing water in crawlspace.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Proffitt: "Birch" building has termite damage in the floor, subfloor, walls. A major renovation project, he says.
0 retweets 0 favorites

20 minutes on the clock for Bruce Dean's team, starting with architect Michael Proffitt.
1 retweet 0 favorites

Council president Bud Otis says this is taking longer than anticipated. Public hearings will be moved after 7 p.m. tonight.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Sometimes 5 minutes is 10 minutes. Alright, back on track. Bruce Dean and Michael Proffitt are up with historical consultant Kate Kuranda.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Are there any restaurants in downtown Frederick that can deliver directly to my seat at Winchester Hall? #dinnertime #recessthoughts
0 retweets 0 favorites

Council is taking a 5 min break to allow him to set up. BTW, you can watch the meeting live here: http://bit.ly/1DbcNPR
1 retweet 0 favorites

Michael Proffitt, architect on the project, will give a presentation on the Trout Run site.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dean: "Your agenda does not make it clear that this is a public hearing." He says he was not prepared with a presentation today.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Bruce Dean, representing #Narconon and the property owner, now up to respond to those comments.
1 retweet 0 favorites

Germantown resident: "If #Scientology or #Narconon takes it over, then it will remain just like it is."
0 retweets 0 favorites

He said he went to the Church of Scientology in DC. "I decided that I needed help, and they were willing to help me."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Another speaker, this time from Germantown. "Almost 40 years ago to the day, I was a drug addict."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Monrovia resident on closing off Trout Run for a #Narconon center: "I don't see how that furthers Frederick County's history."
0 retweets 0 favorites

One last speaker, a Monrovia resident. He asks the council: Is the intended use compatible with the historical designation?
0 retweets 0 favorites

"Great care needs to be taken with this facility," Cascade resident says.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Resident of Cascade, Md. now up to the mic. "I think you owe it to the citizens of the county to request a study" about Trout Run's history.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Frederick resident: "We do not need another program that prescribes exactly how you follow your addiction," needs to be customized.
0 retweets 1 favorite

Frederick resident, former Way Station drug addiction coach: "There is no one way to solve addiction."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Frederick County resident on #Narconon center: "We do not need it. We do not want it."
1 retweet 0 favorites

Next, a Frederick County resident. "I am concerned who my neighbors are, and who my neighbors will be."
0 retweets 0 favorites

#Narconon is different because it doesn't use any drugs, Anne Arundel County resident says. "It's almost like a spa."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Anne Arundel County resident now up, says he had a heroin-addicted relative. "It became a big mess in the family."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Another Myersville resident, the teacher's husband, has been in the county since 1974. "The Trout Run property always caught my eye."
0 retweets 0 favorites

"Trout Run's stories should be preserved and heard" as long as kids will grow up to be presidents and great fishermen, she says.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Myersville resident, a teacher, now up to the mic. Trout Run has "greatness" in its history, she says.
0 retweets 0 favorites
Sylvia Carignan @SylviaCarignan  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Louisiana #Narconon graduate: "It's more than just about a historical designation for this property."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Louisiana #Narconon graduate: "My family found Narconon for me...I'm clean and sober now."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Another #Narconon graduate, this one from Louisiana, at the mic now. "I've seen the downside of addiction, on both sides of the badge."
0 retweets 0 favorites

Exec director of The Jude House: "I am very familiar with #Narconon. I would work with them tomorrow if you opened this program."
0 retweets 0 favorites

The #Narconon graduate says he lives in Battle Creek, Michigan.
1 retweet 0 favorites

A #Narconon graduate at the mic now. Says he was a drug addict, was only given more drugs. "I found Narconon. It literally saved my life."
0 retweets 1 favorite

Spring Ridge resident: "It seems quite likely that #Narconon will continue its pattern of abuses here."
1 retweet 1 favorite

Spring Ridge resident: Narconon's interest in the property has no relation to history of site. "It's a smokescreen."
3 retweets 1 favorite

Superczynski is suggesting members of the public be allowed to speak now, then applicant can reply.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Historic Preservation Commission's  Denis Superczynski says he's received "a substantial amount of material" since the last council meeting.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Back to Trout Run. Ready? Let's go.
0 retweets 2 favorites

Side note: County council approves addition of Dr. J. Craig Reed to the Containment Lab Community Advisory Committee.
0 retweets 0 favorites

There are a few agenda items between here and the council's Trout Run discussion. Will pick back up with that in a little bit.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Only one of 12 speakers during the public comment period weighed in on Trout Run.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Kai Hagen steps up to the microphone to talk about Monrovia Town Center, says he's already sent a letter to the council on Trout Run.
0 retweets 0 favorites
Sylvia Carignan @SylviaCarignan  ·  4h 4 hours ago

5 out of 6 speakers so far are concerned about Monrovia Town Center, which was removed from council agenda earlier.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Long: "If you really do want to preserve it, this isn’t the applicant that should be doing this."
0 retweets 0 favorites

First speaker on Trout Run is Mark Long of Thurmont. "It's really not contributed anything of significance" to the county, he says.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Public comments, limited to 3 min, now starting. 11 people in line to speak.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Getting started in a few minutes here with the county council meeting. All council members are present.
0 retweets 0 favorites
Sylvia Carignan @SylviaCarignan  ·  7h 7 hours ago

Tonight, the Frederick County Council considers a historic designation for Trout Run. Why #Scientology is involved: http://bit.ly/1CkGzBF
3 retweets 0 favorites
Sylvia Carignan retweeted
Matt Pearce @mattdpearce  ·  9h 9 hours ago
https://twitter.com/SylviaCarignan

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Cool! Will check it out in a moment.

Meantime, just going to post my comment emailed. I also have other comments emailed and will post when I have a few minutes tonight

The body of it

Dear Chairman Otis and members of the council

Thank you for taking the time to read my brief but well intended thoughts on the proposed designation of the Trout Run property to the Frederick County Historic Name Registry.

After reviewing further information on the matter and the pertinent regulations and details of the applications made that have brought this to the council for decision, I request that you vote NO and they you and the other members of the council consider that you have to look at what the primary purpose is for the property and if it will take away from the very designation it seeks.

In this case, Social Betterment Properties International aka Narconon - a program based on and run completely from the Church of Scientology practices, cannot get the group home OK unless they get this designation. Since Narconon is an alternative and dangerous program, it does not meet the criteria for a regular substance abuse program licensed by the state Substance Abuse division in Maryland because they do not use any mental health services or trained and licensed counselors in the program.

The Church of Scientology, of which Narconon and Social Betterment Properties International are front group members of , runs another front group called Citizens Commission on Human Rights, a group that attacks all forms of mental health care. They do not meet any of the standards of care requirements required by Maryland and their counselors are graduates of the program in the main.

So they are trying to go around that and the land use issue, to get it designated as historic so they can create a "group home" under the mental health agency instead. Their program does not meet the criteria of what is expected from a 'group home" but they are not adverse to lying to make it fit o they can get their program in.

They have done this before, in GA, lying to people and drug courts that it was a residential program when it was only licensed as outpatient. After a patient dies and the family sued, that facility was closed by authorities for fraud as an organized enterprise. The facts are that Scientology is anti-mental health.

Their program does not provide services for the mentally ill and actually do not believe in mental illness and disregard all definitions of all mental disorders and all traditional treatments of them. How is it possible for them to apply for a Group Home when they are not equipt to deal with the clientele a group Home is supposed to provide for. As defined in COMAR  Title 10 Subtitle 21 MENTAL HYGIENE REGULATIONS 10.21.04.02 ----- .02 Definitions. A. In this chapter, terms have the meanings stated in COMAR 10.21.17.
B. Definition of Group Home.  1)(a) For individuals who have been or are under treatment for a mental disorder;

Alcoholism and Substance abuse are considered distinct disorders and are not regulated under the state mental health laws. Only the ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE ADMINISTRATION regulations and laws  Please see Title 10 Subtitle 47 ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE ADMINISTRATION for reference.

Narconon is not only a dangerous program, it's part of a deceptive organization that will do whatever it takes to get what it wants and skirt the law if they have to. They bought this property without looking at the very good laws we have in place to protect people from dangerous programs. To allow this designation on a property, which is no more historic than Walmart, is to give them a license to get away with pretending to run a group home why they run the large scale substance abuse treatment facility and regional training center. One that all the earlier promotions they have put out to scientologists when they started raising funds for the purchase. The council has the documents.

Please look at what the bigger picture, the facts and vote NO. You have no obligation to rubber stamp this project.

And then please consider reviewing and amending the regulations and laws pertaining to the process and criteria for giving these designations because, as they stand, any property can get a designation and subsequent tax breaks by meeting just 1 of the 10 criteria!