Author Topic: Watch the Alex Gibney Documentary "Going Clear" in the UK  (Read 2447 times)

Offline scicrit

• Met Xenu
Northern Ireland has not yet adopted the UKs new, more liberal Libel legislation. Since Sky (which owns the rights to "Going Clear") broadcasts by satellite, it cannot be selective, and exclude NI - so it could be sued by the CofS if it presents the film.

Sky is all about making money, so it will likely fold. Copies of the film have also been removed from YouTube.

Until it appears on DVD"Going Clear" can be  downloaded in the UK here https://scicrit.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/going-clear-scientology-and-the-prison-of-belief/ (I'm working on a new streaming link).

Offline scicrit

• Met Xenu
Re: Watch the Alex Gibney Documentary "Going Clear" in the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 15:29 »
I have just added a link to the post above. There is now a streaming video version as well as a HD download at https://scicrit.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/going-clear-scientology-and-the-prison-of-belief/

If this should be taken down, please contact me so that I can post more.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 19:23 »
Northern Ireland has not yet adopted the UKs new, more liberal Libel legislation. Since Sky (which owns the rights to "Going Clear") broadcasts by satellite, it cannot be selective, and exclude NI - so it could be sued by the CofS if it presents the film.

Sky is all about making money, so it will likely fold. Copies of the film have also been removed from YouTube.

Yikes! Thanks for posting both links, scicrit.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline scicrit

• Met Xenu
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 04:59 »
You are most welcome.

It's frustrating that, as a result of this story, people in other counties assume that the UK still suffers from its previous (undoubtedly backward) libel legislation. We don't. The law in England, Scotland and Wales has changed, and now presents no obstacle to the broadcast of ""Going Clear". The problem is technical , not legal.

The 'footprint' of the satellite used by Sky covers the whole of the UK (including Northern Ireland which is the only part of the UK not to adopt the new law... yet). Consequently, unless Sky hire NASA to send an astronaut to float near to the transmitter and 'shade' Northern Ireland for the duration of the broadcast, there is nothing they can do to prevent the film being seen there. It's all or nothing.

It's doubly frustrating that the CofS can effectively suppress this film without lifting a finger - their litigious reputation is enough to deter a huge organisation like Sky. Shame on them.

Offline scicrit

• Met Xenu
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:10 »
Here's an interesting (and worrying) wrinkle...

According  to one report  http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/robinson-unapologetic-on-libel-law-despite-scientology-move-1-6703968   Paul Tweed, a Belfast lawyer who represents  David Miscavige, has been the main voice arguing against the extension of the 2013 Defamation Act to Northern Ireland. Tweed has also represented the First Minister of the Northern Ireland Assembly, Peter Robinson who has been instrumental in blocking the legislation.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 18:13 »
Very interesting. Robinson gives me the creeps:

He claimed there are “publishers and broadcasters who would like to say and do whatever they want and have no consequences for what they say or do” and added: “In some areas, I think there would be a good case for tightening libel laws and defamation laws because there are some people who are totally irresponsible, and I think particularly of social media...”
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline DeathHamster

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 19:02 »
Paul Tweed, a Belfast lawyer who represents  David Miscavige, has been the main voice arguing against the extension of the 2013 Defamation Act to Northern Ireland.
That's his gravy train, so of course the sleezebag doesn't want it to go away.

It is interesting that he's representing David Miscavige personally rather than CSI or COSRECI. Who picks up the tab for Miscavige's personal lawyers? Not him, I'm sure. Smells like inurement.

Offline scicrit

• Met Xenu
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 06:24 »
The English satirical magazine "Private Eye" has weighed in on the suppression of "Going Clear" in the UK.
It's a short piece, which says it all.

It can be read here https://scicrit.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/private-eye-going-clear-and-the-uks-new-libel-tourism-centre/ along with my comments about the state of Scientology in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

It's politics at its worst - with David Miscavige right in the middle of it all.