Author Topic: Sandy Springs zoning opposition  (Read 32021 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Sandy Springs zoning opposition
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:55 »
Update: September 16, 2009
Planning Commission Meeting September 17, 2009 7pm
There was an 11th hour deferral, which sent the application back to the Planning Commission for the 3rd time.

An attorney for the neighborhood opposition has submitted a new set of conditions which the neighbors request, which contains a rebuttal to the lightly veiled RLUIPA threats made by the lawyer for the scientologists, Woodson Galloway.

Galloway has submitted his own set of suggested conditions, which concede or compromise very little, if anything.

Docs are on the Sandy Springs website, and as of yet are incomplete.  (Sandy Springs needs a better record-keeper.)

All of the files which begin with the number 4, here:
http://www.sandysprings-ga.org/agendas/PC/2009-0917/

Update: August 16, 2009
Mayor and City Council Meeting Tuesday August 18, 2009, at 6pm
This will be the final meeting...

Or will it...?

Update: July 12, 2009
Planning Commission Meeting this Thursday, July 16, at 7pm
Here is the agenda for the meeting: http://www.sandysprings-ga.org/agendas/PC/2009-0716/01_PCAGENDA_071609.pdf
5395 Roswell Rd. will be up first - be on time.

Update: June 29, 2009

I have been told there is a Planning Commission Meeting scheduled for July 16, at 7pm concerning the 5395 Roswell property.  Letters must be in before Thursday, July 2 to be included in this meeting's packet of information.

Update: June 18, 2009
The rezoning application has been deferred for 60 days.  The next meeting will be in August.

This means we have another two months to educate and involve the citizens who may either not have been aware that the rezoning was being considered, or not have been aware that there is anything wrong with scientology moving into their community.  Let's get our keyboards clattering again!

Update: June 2, 2009
Mayor and City Council Hearing on June 16, 2009 at 6pm!

Question sent to Linda Abaray:
When the Planning Commission voted to approve the 60 day deferral at the May 21 meeting, does that mean the deferral is a done deal, or will the Mayor and City Council rule officially on the deferral on June 16 at the next scheduled meeting?

Her response:
The Planning Commission only make recommendations to the Mayor and City
Council. The Council would have to approve the deferral. Please let me
know if you have any other questions.

Update: May 31, 2009
There is some question about whether the vote by the Planning Commission to approve the deferral means that it is approved, or if the Mayor and City Council will approve it (or not) at the June 16 meeting.  That puts into question whether there will be a June 16 meeting.  I am seeking clarification, and will post an update when I get it.

Update: May 29, 2009
Mayor and City Council Hearing on June 16, 2009 at 6pm!

Any paper letters should be in by June 2 to be considered at the hearing.
Email must be in by June 9 to be considered.
Emails should also be in by June 2.

Please see this post: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,125.msg494.html#msg494 and discuss.  Any ideas that can be included in correspondence is valuable.

Update: May 20, 2009
Planning Commission Meeting tomorrow at 7 pm!

Update: April 23, 2009
Meeting tonight at 6 pm!

Here are links to the scanned documents that CoS submitted to Sandy Springs:
Part 1
Part 2

Update: April 13, 2009

Upcoming meeting: Community/Developer Resolution Meeting on April 23, at 6pm.

Some of us are through with the Government contact phase, and I think we are  past the homeowner's mailouts (Thanks Raven and Stu!).  If you haven't written to the Sandy Springs government yet, take some ideas from this thread and others, and get your letters in.  You can bet Scientology has written plenty of letters to them!  It's what they do.

Next phase is Community Contact - this includes churches and professionals in the area, as well as community groups.  These can include some of the concerns we have with Scientology, but be sure to stress that the primary issue is parking and traffic, and other issues in the zoning application (linked below).

Threads to discuss in:
Churches: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,28.0.html
Psyches! http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,31.0.html
Schools: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,30.0.html
Chamber of Commerce: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,33.0.html

We have also gotten copies of what Scientology submitted to the city for their rezoning; they are linked in this post: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,24.msg154.html#msg154
and SocialTransparency has given us his concerns there as well.  These issues can also be addressed with the SS government people, in letters and at the meeting.

Here is a copy of the Zoning Notice that was received:

Meetings
 Note that there are 4 meetings relating to this potential zoning change which will allow the Church of Scientology to occupy this building.  It is important that we go to these meetings to show our numbers.

Address:
Sandy Springs City Hall
Morgan Falls Office Park
7840 Roswell Road Building 500
Sandy Springs, GA 30350
770-730-5600

March 24, 2008 7pm - Community Zoning Info Meeting - This meeting has already been held.  See the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v3EAT3ynqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAdOt6IVmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNAY-pPil8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjdaoxtqs-Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dm6lVZHx5I

On or before April 23, 2009  6pm - Community/Developer Resolution Meeting
To attend this meeting, you must contact Linda Abaray at 770-206-1577 and tell her you wish to attend.  The lawyer states that the meeting will occur on April 22 or 23, depending on which the applicant (CoS) chooses.

Ultrapoet has told us that the meeting is set for April 23, at 6pm, and that she didn't get the impression that it was an invite only meeting.  It still might be wise to call and verify that you don't need to notify Linda Abaray, particularly if you have something you wish to say at the meeting.

May 21, 2009 7pm - Planning Commission

June 16, 2009 6pm - Mayor and City Council

Map
 Here pictures of the map presented at the meeting.

Mailouts
There are several mailouts addressing the zoning which need to be sent:
  • Individual letters to SS city people in the 5th district (remember these people are up for reelection this year), board members, mayor, city council, head of zoning and planning (Mark something)
  • Collective letter to local citizens (homeowners associations, apartment managements, residents within certain distance)
  • Local churches
  • Other groups (see additional posts on this board)
Raven has collected information for us, which will be in separate threads.

In order of priorities:
1. Individualized letters to Sandy Springs government (The letters to each agency can be the same, but we should all write our own letters.  Post the letter you sent as a reply here, if you wish.)  The issues we need to address with these people are those of parking, traffic, and other issues that will impact the community.  This is not about the "religion" - they must be fair to all religions, even fake ones.  Stay on the target that will affect the community.

2. Letters to Homeowner's Associations - This needs to be one letter and info packet which we come up with, and snail mail to these people.  This can include more information about Scientology, but stick primarily to community issues.  In this letter, we need to urge them to write the people in priority 1 and to attend the zoning meetings.

3. Letters to Churches in the area - This can be a bit more about the "religion" since these people will talk to their members.  Many clergy members are already well informed about scientology, so don't write a 20 page essay.

4. Other letters (to be filled in later)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 19:49 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
Re: Sandy Springs zoning opposition
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:38 »
Greetings concerned citizens.

In this reply ,I will list the Sandy Springs Government entities that we need to contact. Please be aware there are procedural processes that must be met. Meaning decorum.

Athis time, within the context of my reply here, it is only directed @ the government entities. Any drafted letter here would cater to those entities.

A completely different letter/flyer will need to be drafted for churches, condo associations etc.

Let us whom are involved stay focused on just this one topic. Some of you are trying to multi task. That is a great thing, yet focus is needed on this topic. Other current issues should take a back seat IMHO @ this time.

I will now list important contacts and decorum. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.

"Note: Boards, including the Mayor and City Council, DO NOT accept the submittal of material at meetings. Any material and/or emails that an applicant or the public wish any Board to receive and review must be submitted to the Planning and Zoning staff two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled meeting date to be included in the official package forwarded them."

Below is the list of entities that would need our informational letter sent too IMO.

1- The Planning Commission is an advisory board which reports its findings and recommendations to the Mayor and City Council. The board is involved in hearings involving rezonings, use permits, concurrent variances, and changes to zoning maps and ordinances.

Lee Duncan, Chair

Wayne Thatcher, Vice Chair

Donald Boyken

Susan Maziar

Al Pond

David Rubenstein

Roger Rupnow

2-The Board of Appeals is a quasi-legal board charged with hearing requests for variances from regulations of the Zoning Ordinance. The board bases decisions on the merits of applications with strict adherence to specific factors.

Mark King, Chair

Ron Carpinella, Vice Chair

Ruth Coan

Lane Frostbaum

Oswald Hill

Ken Moller

Paul Reale

3- The Sandy Springs Design Review Board is an advisory board that reviews applications for building and development based on their aesthetic, architectural and design merits with respect to the standards of the Sandy Springs Overlay District.

Colin Lichtenstein, Chair

Andy Porter, Vice Chair

Eric Gregory

Marlise Landeck

G. Melton Mobley

Yvonne Rizzo

Van Westmoreland

4-The city clerk is the official record keeper for the City and is appointed by the mayor and City Council. Responsibilities include recording and maintaining the council's official actions in minutes, coordinating and distributing the agenda, maintaining contracts, ordinances, resolutions and agreements and coordinating the records management and retention program for the City.

The city clerk attests signatures of mayor and Council and is official keeper of the City seal and affixes its impression on documents whenever required.

The city clerk oversees the adoption and publishing of the Code of Ordinances.

The city clerk also serves as the official absentee ballot clerk during city elections and helps to ensure that all open record requests are in accordance to the Open Records Act.

Michael D. Casey is the Interim City Clerk and may be reached at 770-730-5600.

5- If you have general comments or questions for the Planning and Zoning staff, or if you would like to send correspondence relating to a specific project or application to the members of the Boards listed below, please send your questions and/or comments to PZ@sandyspringsga.org.

NOW i will list the mayor and city council district members contact information.

MAYOR.mailto:eva.galambos@sandyspringsga.org

Doug MacGinnitie, City Council, District 1
doug.macginnitie@sandyspringsga.org

Dianne Fries, City Council, District 2
dianne.fries@sandyspringsga.org

Rusty Paul City Council, District 3
rusty.paul@sandyspringsga.org

Ashley Jenkins, City Council, District 4
ashley.jenkins@sandyspringsga.org

Tiberio “Tibby” DeJulio , City Council, District 5 ........District 5 is impacted by the variance.
tiberio.dejulio@sandyspringsga.org

Karen Meinzen McEnerny, City Council, District 6.......District 6 is impacted by the variance.
karen.mcenerny@sandyspringsga.org

It is the intention of this poster to stay away from the (RELIGIOUS) aspect of this variance @ this time. When you contact anyone please reference the below.

REZONING PETITION

APPLICATION# RZ09-001/CV09-001         PROPERTY ADDRESS  5395 Roswell Road

PETITIONER: Church of Scientology.

CURRENT Zoning: O-I Conditional

REQUEST: To rezone the subject property from O-I ( Office Industrial) Conditional TO O-I to maintain the existing structure AND TO ALLOW FOR A CHURCH , WITH CONCURRENT VARIANCES.

STAFF CONTACT; L Abaray  770-206-1577  <<<<<<<<< IMPORTANT

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:14 »
Thank you, SocialTransparency, for all the info!

Here is the letter I've written, as it is now, though I may change it after I sleep on it ("Dear Sirs" will be replaced with individual names):

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to voice my opinion of the proposed zoning change, APPLICATION # RZ09-001/CV09-001 at 5395 Roswell Road, the corner of Roswell Rd. and Glenridge.  As you know, this location is a highly trafficked and dangerous intersection.  In my opinion, it would be a mistake to allow the Church of Scientology to open a new location at that intersection.  I have watched a video of the Community Zoning Info Meeting on the internet, and, therefore, am aware of the answers given by the attorney representing the church to questions asked by citizens.  Some of the answers given  contradict other information I have seen elsewhere.

The attorney said that the church would use only 1400 square feet of the 46,000, for the sanctuary, and the rest of the building would be offices, classrooms, and one-on-one counseling rooms.  He said that the 83 parking spaces, of which 32 are on the easement between the post office and the 5395 Roswell building, would be ample for the sanctuary.  The remaining 44,600 square feet is quite a lot of space.  Divided into generous sized 20' x 20' rooms, that would allow for over 100 rooms. 

The attorney stated in the meeting that the church has only about 100 members.  I beg to differ; the enclosed printout from the church's web site shows that at least 265 members have donated toward the building.  The link is: http://www.atlantaidealorg.com/donors.html

In addition, an article written by the Gwinnett Daily Post in March of 2008 quotes Deb Danos, the Public Relations Officer for the church, as follows:

Deb Danos, an Atlanta Scientologist who also serves as the local church's media contact, said the metro area is home to more Scientologists than you might think, and that their ranks are swelling.

"We have about 600 active members, 200 that are regular attendees, and then on our rolls there have been literally thousands," Danos said. "I would say pretty close to 10,000 that have joined since the inception of the organization in Atlanta."

She added that membership is "definitely" on the rise.

The link is: http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/main.asp?SectionID=34&SubSectionID=48&ArticleID=11837&TM=42592.25

If membership is between the 200 and 600 figures stated in the article, and the church expects to grow, where will these people park? 

The attorney says that the members do not attend traditional services at one time on Sunday morning.  The enclosed photo, taken in December 2008, shows the sign hanging under their main sign at the current church, which says “SUNDAY SERVICE 11:00 AM ALL WELCOME.”  To me, that says that they do, in fact, hold services, and that they welcome the public to the services.  Another thing which the sign shows, contrary to the statement by the attorney that the bookstore only serves the membership, is that they do encourage the public to visit their bookstore.

Another concern is that if the church continues to grow, and finds it necessary to add parking spaces, where will they be  added?  There appears to be no area for more parking to be built, whether it would be additional ground level spaces, or a parking deck.  Underground parking would also seem to be problematic.  Given these issues, I urge you to deny the zoning change.

Thank you for your consideration,

Anyone, feel free to use it as a sample, but we should all present different points - after all, we don't want to look like we're running a scientology-style letter writing campaign.   :D
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:52 »
I agree. A very nice detail on membership for a packet of information, though.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:15 »
Here's my letter. I sent it to three of the city council members.

Ms. Fries,
I thought you might be interested in this rezoning application (attached) and some additional information.

I am a former citizen of Sandy Springs who spent my formative years there. I also worked in Sandy Springs as an adult and have friends who live in the community.

I was very concerned when I heard about Scientology's plans to make the building at 5395 Roswell Rd. one of their Ideal Orgs. From what I understand, one of the purposes of an Ideal Org is to expand and recruit for Scientology.

You may want to view these videos of the recent informational meeting on the planned rezoning. Many of the neighbors asked very good questions about parking and traffic in the area which is problematic (linked below).
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/smyrna-ga/TO58QASGEMR3A3ABQ

According to nearby neighbors they recently witnessed a Scientology gathering at the building that nearly filled up the existing parking spots of about 83. I think one of the neighbors said there were about 2 parking spots not filled that night and they are planning to grow. There are many accidents at Glenridge and Roswell and I know this was one of the concerns.

Additionally, Scientology's presence in other cities has made many of its residents and businesses none too happy.

See articles included below on Clearwater's experience.

=======================================

Letters: Scientology's grip hurts downtown Clearwater - St. Petersburg Times
Letters: Scientology's grip hurts downtown Clearwater
May 27, 2008
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/letters/article525625.ece

I think these might be "letters to the editor".

Clearwater merchants upset over anti-Scientology protests - St. Petersburg Times
Clearwater merchants upset over anti-Scientology protests
May 14, 2008
http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article503671.ece

The "petition" mentioned in the article (petition written by downtown business owners) was actually written by Scientologists pretending to be regular Joe American business people. They were exposed by a one-by-one examination of the signatures on the petition by volunteer ex-scientologists.

Scientology in Clearwater - Project to identify all downtown Clearwater businesses
section titled "Petition to Clearwater Mayor by Scientologist-friendly businesses"
http://www.scientologyinclearwater.com/downtownaddresses.html

Tampabay: The unperson
The unperson: Scientologists who cross their religion can be declared suppressive persons, shunned by peers and ostracized by family.
June 25, 2006
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/24/Tampabay/The_unperson.shtml

Scientology's town: As Scientologists launch unprecedented expansion, downtown Clearwater's identity is at stake. A two-part special report
July 18, 2004
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/07/18/Tampabay/Scientology_s_town.shtml

Clearwater Sun alum says City Desk clerk was a spy for Scientology
Clearwater Sun alum says City Desk clerk was a spy for Scientology
August 04, 2008
http://blogs.tampabay.com/media/2008/08/clearwater-sun.html

Tampabay: Is he a slumlord or ethical specialist?
Is he a slumlord or ethical specialist? The man who owns an apartment building evacuated by officials for safety violations also holds Scientology’s highest status.
May 11, 2006
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/05/11/Tampabay/Is_he_a_slumlord_or_e.shtml

Important video interview
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5704547942523554352&q=5704547942523554352&ei=tLgrSMbeJ4SE4gKkw7niCQ
Gabe Cazares Interview - 44:14 - Apr 8, 2006

This interview features Gabe Cazares who was Mayor of Clearwater, Florida when Scientology snuck into the city under an assumed name. Gabe courageously took them on and was savagely attacked by Scientology in numerous covert operations which were later uncovered when the FBI raided Scientology's headquarters. Meet Gabe Cazares - Former Mayor of Clearwater, Florida Also in the video is Wayne Shelor. At the time of the interview, Wayne worked as a journalist. He later would become the PR man for the Clearwater Police Department.

Thanks for your time and consideration of this information,
Me
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 23:01 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 13:29 »
Response:

thank you for contacting me.  I will keep your viewpoints in mind as we deliberate on this application.     Karen

Karen Meinzen McEnerny

District 6, City Council of Sandy Springs

4604 Meadow Valley Drive

Sandy Springs, GA  30342

cell 404-358-0068

Off 404-851-1944

-Dalai Lama

• High Value Target
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 15:48 »
Mefree. You just rocked my world.

• High Value Target
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 16:30 »

Here is the letter I've written, as it is now, though I may change it after I sleep on it ("Dear Sirs" will be replaced with individual names):

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to voice my opinion of the proposed zoning change, APPLICATION # RZ09-001/CV09-001 at 5395 Roswell Road, the corner of Roswell Rd. and Glenridge.  As you know, this location is a highly trafficked and dangerous intersection.  In my opinion, it would be a mistake to allow the Church of Scientology to open a new location at that intersection.  I have watched a video of the Community Zoning Info Meeting on the internet, and, therefore, am aware of the answers given by the attorney representing the church to questions asked by citizens.  Some of the answers given  contradict other information I have seen elsewhere.

The attorney said that the church would use only 1400 square feet of the 46,000, for the sanctuary, and the rest of the building would be offices, classrooms, and one-on-one counseling rooms.  He said that the 83 parking spaces, of which 32 are on the easement between the post office and the 5395 Roswell building, would be ample for the sanctuary.  The remaining 44,600 square feet is quite a lot of space.  Divided into generous sized 20' x 20' rooms, that would allow for over 100 rooms. 

The attorney stated in the meeting that the church has only about 100 members.  I beg to differ; the enclosed printout from the church's web site shows that at least 265 members have donated toward the building.  The link is: http://www.atlantaidealorg.com/donors.html

In addition, an article written by the Gwinnett Daily Post in March of 2008 quotes Deb Danos, the Public Relations Officer for the church, as follows:

Deb Danos, an Atlanta Scientologist who also serves as the local church's media contact, said the metro area is home to more Scientologists than you might think, and that their ranks are swelling.

"We have about 600 active members, 200 that are regular attendees, and then on our rolls there have been literally thousands," Danos said. "I would say pretty close to 10,000 that have joined since the inception of the organization in Atlanta."

She added that membership is "definitely" on the rise.

The link is: http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/main.asp?SectionID=34&SubSectionID=48&ArticleID=11837&TM=42592.25

If membership is between the 200 and 600 figures stated in the article, and the church expects to grow, where will these people park? 

The attorney says that the members do not attend traditional services at one time on Sunday morning.  The enclosed photo, taken in December 2008, shows the sign hanging under their main sign at the current church, which says “SUNDAY SERVICE 11:00 AM ALL WELCOME.”  To me, that says that they do, in fact, hold services, and that they welcome the public to the services.  Another thing which the sign shows, contrary to the statement by the attorney that the bookstore only serves the membership, is that they do encourage the public to visit their bookstore.

Another concern is that if the church continues to grow, and finds it necessary to add parking spaces, where will they be  added?  There appears to be no area for more parking to be built, whether it would be additional ground level spaces, or a parking deck.  Underground parking would also seem to be problematic.  Given these issues, I urge you to deny the zoning change.

Thank you for your consideration,

Anyone, feel free to use it as a sample, but we should all present different points - after all, we don't want to look like we're running a scientology-style letter writing campaign.   :D
Very well written. I would add that there IS NO future plan tabled by C of S to show the council how it will handle future growth. I know you kind of mentioned this ,but it needs to be brought up as much as possible. Also add the links to my" GovTransparency" Youtube site.

I have BLOCKED all anon type comments. Hell i have blocked all comments. This way the page would be gentle for those public officials and citizens who visit it as a source of information.

I am currently doing another video. I ASK everyone to send me ANY links that you think would be of interest to the general public. I will put all those links in a scrolling like video.

• High Value Target
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 16:34 »
Response:

thank you for contacting me.  I will keep your viewpoints in mind as we deliberate on this application.     Karen

Karen Meinzen McEnerny

District 6, City Council of Sandy Springs

4604 Meadow Valley Drive

Sandy Springs, GA  30342

cell 404-358-0068

Off 404-851-1944

MeFree. The other 3 links are showing. It would be of great benefit to send your letter to ALL of the ZONING board members. The more the merrier.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 00:29 »
ST, I Have made the changes you suggested, as shown below.  I also changed the words "the attorney" to Mr. Woodson Galloway the first time used, and Mr. Galloway for the following times.

...would be a mistake to allow the Church of Scientology to open a new location at that intersection.  I have watched a video of the Community Zoning Info Meeting on the internet at http://www.youtube.com/GovTransparency and, therefore, am aware of the answers given by the attorney representing the church, Mr. Woodson Galloway, to questions...

...appears to be no area for more parking to be built, whether it would be additional ground level spaces, or a parking deck.  Underground parking would also seem to be problematic.  Mr. Galloway offers no parking plan for future growth, while also telling us that the church plans to grow.

Given these issues, I urge you to deny the zoning change.

I am currently doing another video. I ASK everyone to send me ANY links that you think would be of interest to the general public. I will put all those links in a scrolling like video.

What types of links are you looking for?  Specifically links on what happens when scientology moves into a neighborhood, or links like this:
http://www.xenu-directory.net/
?

Also, I found these people who ought to receive a letter also; Sandy Springs Public Works: http://www.sandyspringsga.org/tPanelRelatedLinks.aspx?P=800356d24cdf466babf4e6ed02788ed2

One of the city people in the meeting had said that the traffic dept. would be making the recommendation to city hall and the mayor.

It says:
The Public Works Department is responsible for the street transportation system which includes road and right of way maintenance, traffic engineering, transportation planning and capital improvement implementation. Public works also contributes to the Morgan Falls Recycling center and will implement a franchise system for private waste management services in Sandy Springs. To ensure prompt response to reports from residents, the public works department has a Citizen Response Coordinator whose responsibility it is to administer all citizen responders in the area of Public Works.

The names are:
Angelia Parham, P.E., Director
and
Jon Drysdale, Deputy Director

I'll be addressing all of mine tomorrow and sending them on Monday, paper mail and email.

Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 16:31 »
3- The Sandy Springs Design Review Board is an advisory board that reviews applications for building and development based on their aesthetic, architectural and design merits with respect to the standards of the Sandy Springs Overlay District.
... ... ...
G. Melton Mobley
... ... ...

http://mobley-doyle.com/LMD/Mel_Mobley.html
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 16:51 »
I'm posting this in case it helps anyone with addressing envelopes or making labels for envelopes.

Ms. Angelia Parham, P.E.
Director of Public Works
Morgan Falls Office Park
7840 Roswell Road, Building 500
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Jon Drysdale, Deputy Director
Director of Public Works
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Lee Duncan, Chair
Planning Comission
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Wayne Thatcher, Vice Chair
Planning Comission
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Donald Boyken
Planning Comission
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Ms. Susan Maziar
Planning Comission
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Al Pond
Planning Comission
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. David Rubenstein
Planning Comission
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Roger Rupnow
Planning Comission
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Ms. Nancy Leathers, Director
Dept. of Community Development
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Christopher S. Miller, Deputy Director
Dept. of Community Development
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Mark King, Chair
Board of Appeals
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Ron Carpinella, Vice Chair
Board of Appeals
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Ms. Ruth Coan
Board of Appeals
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Lane Frostbaum
Board of Appeals
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Oswald Hill
Board of Appeals
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Ken Moller
Board of Appeals
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Paul Reale
Board of Appeals
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Colin Lichtenstein, Chair
Design Review Board
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Andy Porter, Vice Chair
Design Review Board
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Eric Gregory
Design Review Board
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Ms. Marlise Landeck
Design Review Board
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. G. Melton Mobley
Design Review Board
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Ms. Yvonne Rizzo
Design Review Board
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Van Westmoreland
Design Review Board
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mayor Eva Galambos
City of Sandy Springs
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Doug MacGinnitie
Sandy Springs City Council, District 1
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Ms. Dianne Fries
Sandy Springs City Council, District 2
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Rusty Paul
Sandy Springs City Council, District 3
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Ms. Ashley Jenkins
Sandy Springs City Council, District 4
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. Tiberio “Tibby” DeJulio
Sandy Springs City Council, District 5
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Ms. Karen Meinzen McEnerny
Sandy Springs City Council, District 6
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350

Mr. John F. McDonough
Sandy Springs City Manager
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 17:05 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews

Raven

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 18:36 »
    Dear_____,

I am writing to you over the mater of the zoning of the property located at 5395 Roswell Road, zoning request number RZ09-001/CV09-001. I am very concerned about the burdens this rezoning will inflict upon the citizens of Sandy Springs.  I believe Scientology will become a tax burden to the city for multiple reasons.  I believe we have been misinformed about the size of the congregation, its ability to support itself and its impact upon the community through traffic and parking concerns.

I attended the meeting on March, 24 2009 in which the attorney for Scientology stated only part of the building would be rezoned so they could move in.  This allows a loophole for them to move in while not having adequate resources to handle their congregation.   The weekend, before Scientology held an event at the building and the parking lot was 2 car places short of being full. The lawyer stated Scientology did not have normal services like most Churches.  However, one scientology website: http://www.scientology-atlanta.org/introsrv.htm#sunday lists them off as having an 11:00am Sunday Service. The lawyer also stated he was unsure of the number of current Scientology members and then later said around 100. However, last year Deb Danos the media contact for Scientology said the membership was 200 regular attendees and 600 active members (http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/main.asp?SectionID=34&SubSectionID=48&ArticleID=11837&TM=42592.25 ) Clearly the 83 parking spaces the group said they can get by with is not enough.  How many of the 83 parking spaces are going to be handicap or on the easement they share with the local post office?  Furthermore, it was brought up this group would have a bookstore, sauna, and lots of offices in it.  I believe this would also increase the traffic and parking problem.  The lawyer was unable to confirm if other Scientology groups such as W.I.S.E, Applied Scholastics, or CCHR would move in. The hours they currently operate are also of concern: http://www.scientology-atlanta.org/ shows they are open Monday-Friday 8:30am-10:00pm and 8:30am -6:30pm Saturday-Sunday.  This will lead to increased traffic issues on an extremely busy street. I believe they have purchased a building and are now trying to force it to fit their needs.

Furthermore, I believe Scientology may not be able to support this building project or have a positive impact on the community. According to the Scientology’s local website: http://atlantaidealorg.com/home.html they have yet to raise all the money needed to for their building project.  Of interest is that this a free website paid for by the advertising on the side.  Most organizations, even smaller ones, can pay for their own website without ads on it.  Currently, Scientology has paid for some very lavish expansions, but also ignored large parts of their building projects.  I think you might find the following article interesting: http://tampabay.com/news/religion/article986057.ece In this article it also discuss how the Scientologists changed many things they told the local government in regard to the use of the building.  Also of interest is the way the local Scientologists did not intermix in with the local businesses and employment of outsiders. All money went outside the local area. I’m also including information about the tax liens filed against Narconon of GA http://www.gsccca.org/search/Lien/liennamesselected_full.asp?FSChange=1 and http://www.gsccca.org/search/Lien/liennamesselected.asp This is another Scientology group in financial hardship

I urge you to reconsider allowing the rezoning of this building.
Thank You   

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 18:58 »
I know it's a bit long, but I think it's an idea to shoot this email to the mayor.  I tried to be thorough, and took an angle that Scientology will keep people from moving to that community.

And I did use YouTube links for some citations, but some of this is only things I could find on YouTube, and I think some things are creepier in LRH's voice! :D

===================================================

March 30, 2009

Mayor Eva Galambos
Morgan Falls Office Park
Sandy Springs, GA 30350
770-730-5600

Dear Mayor Galambos:

I am writing this with sincere regret.  Although I am still planning a move to Georgia, my consideration of the lovely city of Sandy Springs as an option is wavering.  This is because of one issue: the possibility that the organization Scientology is attempting to move into your fair city.  Though there has apparently been only one hearing with the zoning board, it means there is one more step towards their active presence staining your home town.

Before I continue, I do recognize how much bias I am leaving in this letter.  However, I believe that once you know the problems caused by Scientology, you may be dissuaded from allowing them into Sandy Springs.

Firstly, a concern every city should have is whether the entities operating there are in good standing.  However, Scientology will not remain this way.  They are well known for neglecting bills, with what is known as their "Dateline Paying" system (1), which will leave them perpetually delinquent in their payments to whomever they owe.  However, their policy on collecting bills for their services is much different (2).  They require full payment immediately for any service which they offer; and their services are far from cheap (3).  This policy to delay payment, and refuse to pay anyone who asks to be paid for labor, will lead to much strife within your city (4).  Surely, that cannot be good for your local economy!

But I digress.  There are other issues which have been brought to my attention about this group which is discouraging me from considering residing in Sandy Springs.  I found out that Scientology is only just now applying for zoning at what it calls its Ideal Org (short for organization).  However, while visiting friends who live in the area, I have found out that they have used the facility before for functions, which have nearly filled the parking lot.  This brings up several concerns.  Firstly, I have read claims online that state that there are over 600 active members in the Atlanta area (5).  But after estimating parking from a satellite image, it seems the lot has fewer than 90 spaces.

This brings yet more questions.  Firstly, how do they get away with having functions which they haven't yet been given permission to have by the zoning board?  Secondly, how can 600 people, 300 cars with the full benefit of the doubt, fit into fewer then 90 parking spaces?  Where else would they park?  the only adjacent parking is the U.S. Post Office next door, which seems an unwise choice.  And what about their special events?  Many more people than usual will be expected to arrive than usual.

Beyond all of this, I need to talk about the state of the building.  Scientology has owned the building for a while now, and millions of dollars have supposedly been fed into it.  Yet the outside of the structure is becoming ever more an eyesore!  There are more shutters in pieces and on the ground than on the windows, it seems.  They're in piles at the door!  This should be unacceptable for a city as otherwise beautiful as yours.  This is not so uncommon to Scientology.  Their local branch of Narconon is in deplorable shape on the outside.  But back to Sandy Springs, just see how often the long grass has been an issue at their Ideal Org location.  We have seen the grass very high there.  You may be thinking that it's because they have not been occupying the building.  But the parties that have been there show otherwise (which takes back to applying for zoning after they've been using the building for their purposes).

While searching for information about the zoning meetings online, I ran across a series of videos on YouTube with the entire section with Scientology (6).  At one point, the lawyer won't allow the Scientologists to answer questions regarding a few of their organization's front groups (7).  I find this very odd, considering it implies that the building will be used to house much more than what Scientology is requesting zoning for.  They seem to be dodging a great amount in this issue.

Now that I have covered much of the recent issues, I can cover more about Scientology, which you may not know.  I do not attack their belief of aliens and all.  I think it's their right.  But I do criticize many of their policies.  One of these is their founder's command, basically, to take over governments (8).  Please, pay close attention to the notes and descriptions of these, as defining every bit of it would take a very long time.

There is much more I could go on about, such as Fair Game, the declaration of Suppressive Persons, their commanded abuse of the legal system as a tool to harass, etc.  But I will leave more questions for you to decide to ask.  Also, all of this is easily found on the Internet.  A few web sites (9) may be a great help for finding more information about them.  I do encourage you to look more into this organization before you grant permission to destroy your town.  They will certainly encourage me to choose another when I move there.

Sincerely,

Stuart Troup

(1) http://www.lisamcpherson.org/cos/construction.htm
  Hubbard wrote that the church was to use a "Dateline Paying" method of paying bills, which means a date in the past is selected according to how much money the department has, and then any bills due past that date are paid. "Tell Accounts, 'Give me every bill we owe prior to August (three months ago).' Add these up. Let's say the amount exceeds our cash. Cut it back one month. Order 'Write cheques for every bill up to July 1.' (That's four months back.) That we can cover fully with cash." (HCOPL of 28 January 1965, "How to Maintain Credit Standing & Solvency") If important bills are overdue and threats are coming in, "Still try to use the above system. But if you can't, pay it and retard other bills accordingly. And thereafter, don't pay that outfit's bill on any other terms than threatened trouble... Be very proud and haughty about bills. NEVER propitiate."

(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_Finance
In contrast to Hubbard's policy on creditors, his policy on payment for services mandates prepayment. From HCOPL 27 November 1971 Issue III, "FREE SERVICES = FREE FALL" (all text in this policy letter is in capital letters): "An Auditor or Course Supervisor delivering a service to an individual without having to hand a fully paid invoice for that service and who does not send the person back to the registrar to be signed up for that service is: A. Covertly robbing his fellow staff members of their pay, and B. In a condition of Treason to his org, and is so assigned."

(3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_as_a_business#Costs
see also http://www.sweenytod.com/cos/pricelist.html

(4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfGoZR-Mzzg

(5) http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/main.asp?SectionID=34&SubSectionID=48&ArticleID=11837&TM=42592.25

(6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAdOt6IVmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNAY-pPil8&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjdaoxtqs-Q&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dm6lVZHx5I&feature=channel

(7) http://www.whyaretheydead.net/krasel/frontgroups.html

(8) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S31usQVOIBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmubzkJjTg

(9) http://www.xenu.net
http://www.lermanet.com/
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/
http://www.exscientologykids.com/
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/
http://www.studytech.org/home.php

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 19:56 »
Very nice, Stu. 
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 22:08 »
My 33 paper letters with printed attachments are in the mail.

Narconon Reviews

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 19:04 »
My 33 paper letters with printed attachments are in the mail.

I didn't REALIZE it was a contest for content :P

(of course I'm kidding!)

I didn't realize quite so much had been gathered!

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 19:12 »
Great work EC!
-Dalai Lama

The Entity

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 19:18 »
Great work one and all.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 19:23 by The Entity »

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 19:29 »
I'm going to send my letter to a few others.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 22:50 by mefree »
-Dalai Lama