Author Topic: State Senator endorsed CCHR  (Read 1522 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
State Senator endorsed CCHR
« on: August 05, 2009, 19:09 »
There have been many instances of scientology taking a statement made by an influential person, and exaggerating (or inventing) their ties to scientology, to try to gain a more appealing image.  Often, the influential person is surprised and angered to find out they have been used. 

This is just one example of scientology trying to cozy up to legislators, or use them to promote their own agenda.   

http://savannahnow.com/node/127891

State senator rips psychiatry
Brandon Larrabee | Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 12:30 am

ATLANTA - A senator from northeast Georgia joined a group linked to the Church of Scientology in ripping psychiatry as "An Industry of Death," saying that children were being given mind-altering drugs because of the influence of pharmaceutical companies.

ATLANTA - A senator from northeast Georgia joined a group linked to the Church of Scientology in ripping psychiatry as "An Industry of Death," saying that children were being given mind-altering drugs because of the influence of pharmaceutical companies.

Sen. Nancy Schaefer, R-Turnerville, joined the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, a group co-founded by the Church of Scientology, at a ribbon-cutting event for an exhibit denouncing psychiatry at the Omni Hotel in Atlanta.

The graphic displays and accompanying documentaries portray psychiatrists as key participants in the Holocaust, eugenics and the deaths of children.

At the ceremony, Schaefer compared psychiatry's influence on society to an infestation that eats away at a farmer's crops.

"There's a narrow window of opportunity to spray for the infestation, and now is the time," she said. "If we miss this opportunity, we could lose a generation of children."

In the past legislative session, Schaefer sponsored at least two resolutions critical of psychiatrists and their field.

One opposed a federal proposal that would have required children to be screened for mental illnesses, saying the idea was pushed by "the powerful pharmaceutical lobby" and saying "it is vital to the country's freedom and to the strength of the American family to derail this dangerous mandate, either through repeal of enabling legislation or refusing to fund this Orwellian program."

Another set up a study committee to look into the mental health screenings. "In my opinion, no child should have to attend a school that is involved in the mental health screening of children, including preschool children," Schaefer told the crowd of a few dozen.

Dr. Harvey Fish, deputy director of the commission's Georgia branch, said the exhibit was meant to show a side of psychiatry not often shown to the public.

CCHR's Web site lists Schaefer as a member of the commission's large board of advisors, though she denied a formal tie to the group Monday. She said she was simply invited because of her legislation.

"I haven't even seen that," she said. "On their board of advisors? I don't advise them on anything. No. I'm not involved."

Lasa Joiner, executive director of the Georgia Psychiatric Physicians Association, said her group was aware of exhibits like the one in Atlanta.

"Medical science is certainly on the side of using medicine to treat brain disorders," she said. "The unfortunate thing is that it may keep people who really need treatment from getting it."

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: State Senator endorsed CCHR
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:17 »
Sounds like a Republican locally needs a huge information packet.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 17:33 »
I think that particular one did get an information packet, but it's not a bad idea to send a big packet of info to any of them, regardless what political leaning they are. 

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 19:07 »
Since the problems with the cult have nothing to do with any political affiliation (and since the cult targets politicians of all persuasions and political parties), I thoroughly agree. However, a fellow Republican could probably hit the hot button issues and buzz words and conservative political concerns that would get the pol's attention better than a non-GOPer.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"