Author Topic: Narconon Deaths  (Read 86583 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Narconon Deaths
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 19:25 »
There is a link to an old article from the LA Times about the Evans case.  I saw it posted over on the Divided by Zero forum: http://projects.latimes.com/homicide/post/robert-gallion/
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 18:20 »
Not sure if this has been posted the right place.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Lawsuits/Evans/Evans%20Vs.%20Narconon.pdf

Thanks so much for finding and posting this!

This is a terrible example of the greed and the scam of taking money and then dumping patients who 'don't meet their qualifications'.

Narconon and Stein have a fraud thing going on with his name. Dr "Steven M Stein" is actually Dr. Stephen M Stein, medical director not only for Narconon Northern California
http://www.vistabay.com/dr_stein.php

Here's one of the NN Vista Bay videos showing they use the name "Steven Stein"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dyPrK8SaHM

but for years, at least until mid 2010, he was, and could still be, the medical director for Camp Recovery in Scotts VAlley in Santa Cruz County.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&pq=the%20camp%20recovery%20center%20medical%20director%20dr.%20stephen%20stein&cp=28&gs_id=j&xhr=t&q=%22The%20Camp%20Recovery%20Center%20%22%20Medical%20Director%20Dr.%20Stephen%20Stein&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=%22The+Camp+Recovery+Center+%22+Medical+Director+Dr.+Stephen+Stein&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=799dc676f220bf41&biw=1009&bih=518

Its my belief that Stein has been involved with Camp Recovery, which is now a member of the  nationally recognized CRC HEALTH GROUP INC

Stephen M Stein MD (C R C Help Inc) - Scotts Valley, California  - no such corp exists today

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline cnhender

• Fly in the Ointment
  • its a wog world
    • FB Narconon Exposed
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 22:27 »
Respectfully,
CH

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 22:40 »

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 00:19 »
Not sure if this has been posted the right place.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Lawsuits/Evans/Evans%20Vs.%20Narconon.pdf

This case is another reason why Narconon should be shut down. Narconon is anti-mental health care and this is the product. What a damn shame.

It reminds me of the death of MARY HEATHER SPENCER. Her boyfriend George Bell III left Narconon Oklahoma after 3 months, having been sent there because while on PCP he beat up his girlfriend.

So after the 3 months, he returns ( supposed to be 6 months) and he kills the girlfriend in a drug rage 3 days after leaving NN. His mother who paid for him to go to Narconon refused to testify, despite the strong evidence that she was in the home when thisn happened and did not alert police right away.
Case # 2008-425 Filed:  06/02/2008 Case Type:  COMPLAINT 
Judge KIDD  Closed:   District : 1
Style:   
 FRANCOMB LINDA INDIV AND FOR   SPENCER MARY HEATHER DECEASED   
     Vs 
 BELL ROBBIE ET AL    BELL GEORGE III  ( Narconon of Oklahoma included)
www.co.hinds.ms.us/pgs/cal/results.asp?Judge=Kidd...Mode... - Cached
http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/index.php/site/comments/did_she_have_to_die_100709/

Friday, March 27, 2009
Just Because A Guy Is Rich Doesnt Mean He Has Class
http://womenincrimeink.blogspot.com/2009/03/just-because-guy-is-rich-doesnt-mean-he.html

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100312/NEWS/303120002/Killer+s+mom+may+talk

The mother of convicted killer George Bell III could give a statement under oath soon for the first time about what she witnessed the night her son beat Heather Spencer to death.

The statement would become part of a wrongful death suit filed in 2008 against the Bells as well as the drug treatment program George Bell III attended before the murder. The suit seeks the maximum amount of compensation and punitive damages allowed under Mississippi law.

George Bell III killed Spencer, his 28-year-old ex-girlfriend, in his mother's home between Sept. 10 and 11, 2007, just days after leaving the Narconon Arrowhead drug rehabilitation center in Canadian, Okla. He then kidnapped Spencer's roommate at gunpoint and took her to a house on Trawick Drive in northeast Jackson.

George Bell pleaded guilty in February 2008 and is serving a life sentence.
[..]

The suit contends Robbie Bell put her son, who "had been abusing cocaine, angel dust, PCP and steroids," in Narconon while wanted by Jackson police on a domestic violence warrant for attacking Spencer with a rubber mallet in June 2007. Spencer, who needed more than 50 stitches to close her wounds, later dropped the charge. [..]

The family also blames Narconon and its parent corporation, Narconon International, of failing to adequately treat George Bell III and to warn Spencer that Bell left the program months shy of completing it.

Narconon International was founded in 1966 by William Benitez, a former Arizona state inmate, and has grown into a network of 120 centers worldwide.

"Our drug rehabilitation program does not use drugs or medications to solve the problems caused by drugs, but does use nutrition and nutritional supplements as an important component of its delivery. Thus the Narconon program is neither a psychiatric nor medical, but a social education model of rehabilitation," the program's Web site states.

Francomb said she questions Narconon's methods because they follow the principles of the Church of Scientology, a religion founded in the 1950s based on the teachings of science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard.

"The reason we filed suit to begin with is the fact that after George's care there, he murdered my daughter," she said. "I just feel like they didn't do the correct job of helping him with his problem. If they are going to continue to be in the business, they either don't need to be dealing with violent offenders or they need to make sure they treat those people for their violent tendencies."
http://www.forum.exscn.net/archive/index.php/t-16851.html
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 21:23 »
Short but good report about Narconon Arrowhead & Scientology in regards to the deaths of Gabriel Graves and Hillary Holten has hit the AP wires via google news at the following sites:

2 dead in last 6 1/2 months at Narconon Arrowhead

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20120504_12_0_OLHMIY33714

http://www.koamtv.com/story/18150156/2-dead-in-last-6-12-months-at-narconon-arrowhead

A story from AP Mobile:
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=0CqLS40j

Should have Narconon Arrowhead freaking out. Good.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 00:57 »
Should have Narconon Arrowhead freaking out. Good.

Very good.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 23:47 »

Holten, Hillary Ann Age 21, passed away Wednesday, April 11, 2012 from complications of pneumonia and Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. Hillary was born December 16, 1990 in Carrollton TX. She was a graduate of Creekview High School. As an advanced placement art student at Newman Smith High School, her work was featured in the 2008 Young Masters Exhibition. Her friends enjoyed her caricature drawings of them. She was a student at Brookhaven Community College in Dallas, and had plans to study biology at The University of North Texas...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dallasmorningnews/obituary.aspx?n=hillary-holten&pid=157485513
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Intelligence

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 00:02 »
This ^^^^^ is so sad :-(

An Ol' Irish Quote:
“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 07:14 »
Yes, it is.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 08:50 »

Holten, Hillary Ann Age 21, passed away Wednesday, April 11, 2012 from complications of pneumonia and Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. Hillary was born December 16, 1990 in Carrollton TX. She was a graduate of Creekview High School. As an advanced placement art student at Newman Smith High School, her work was featured in the 2008 Young Masters Exhibition. Her friends enjoyed her caricature drawings of them. She was a student at Brookhaven Community College in Dallas, and had plans to study biology at The University of North Texas...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dallasmorningnews/obituary.aspx?n=hillary-holten&pid=157485513

What is  Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia   http://www.nadf.us/diseases/cah.htm
It can be deadly for someone with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia to be taken off their medication, especially if their antibiotics for pneumonia are also taken away.

Here are a few symptoms that would indicate that an adrenal crisis is iminent:

*Headache *Profound Weakness *Fatigue *Slow Lethargic Movement *Nausea *Vomiting *Low Blood Pressure *Dehydration *High Fever *Shivering and Chills *Confusion or Coma *Darkening of the skin (see skin, abnormally dark or light) *Rapid Heart Rate *Joint Pain *Abdominal Pain *Unintentional Weight Loss *Tachypnea: Rapid Respiratory Rate *Unusual and Excessive Sweating on Face and/or Palms *Skin Rash or Lesion may be present *Flank Pain *Appetite Loss

When someone with CAH has an adrenal crisis, an intravenous or intramuscular injection of hydrocortisone (an injectable corticosteroid) must be given immediately. The patient will also need the following:

1: Supportive treatment of low blood pressure

2: Hospitalization is required for adequate treatment and monitoring.

3: Low blood pressure may be treated with intravenous fluids.

4: If infection is the cause of the crisis, antibiotic therapy is indicated.

Death may occur due to overwhelming shock if early treatment is not provided. Go to the ER or A & E or call the local emergency services if symptoms of acute adrenal crisis develop.

http://www.nadf.us/diseases/cah.htm

Below is some of the info reported to the coroner. Hillary did have  condition requiring corticosteroid medication, as the father mentioned on her facebook. CAH patients MUST take their medication but was Hillary prevented from taking hers, as has happened to  so many Narconon patients? Did the lack of taking it and the antibiotics she was supposed to be finishing up for the pneumonia that was improving get taken away? Here is what was reported before seeing that she had CAH

[..]Read the father's facebook wall: you need to be signed in I believe. There is much telling information on it. Scroll down to April 1st and then on up. He also comments in reply to replies, so look at those.

After reading what he wrote, it is my belief that Narconon withheld this girl's medication, a corticosteroid called Dexamethasone used for a chronic condition which the father mentions about in an earlier comment about her being ill with it and having pneumonia before her death.

If you read his comment announcing the death, he says she died of  pneumonia and adrenal failure - although her lab work was ok before she left.

The parents may not be aware that Narconon takes medicines away as soon as the student is registered ( the 'student' signs a statement agreeing to no use of 'drugs'including asperine or tylonol.  Most people do not know that this includes prescribed medicines. Sometimes it can take up to 3 days for the Narconon Case Supervisor to approve the use of prescribed medicines before they are given to the 'student'.

A person who must be on corticosteroids like Dexamethasone can go into adrenal failure if taken off their medicine abruptly. These meds are tapered in increments until down to a low amount because of this and other serious side effects.

A former NN student stated that she is friends with the person who worked with the 'girl' in the withdrawal room before she died and found her. This friend was Hillary's 'twin' .

I had the poster edit her post to prevent the friend from being identified and thus targeted by Narconon for talking about what happened. Here is the edited comment, minus that information:

I was there from November to February, and I never heard of anything about them having their residential licensing suspended... If they did they just pretended like it didn't happen and kept right on going.

I still have several friends that work at Narconon Arrowhead...  The body of the young woman who died Tuesday was found when staff was checking vitals in withdrawal.    She complained of a pain in her abdomen while running a light objective... The staff member was trained that the pain was triggered by the objective and it would go away after running through it non-stop until the staff member observed the student showing VGIs. During the excessive running of the objective however, she left the sessions and got in bed. It wasn't until they were checking student's vitals in the early morning that they realized she had passed away.

VGIs= Very good indicators like smiling or calm and ok with what is going on, without resistance. ( these are really training drills to train people to be robotically compliant!)

This below and above is what was r posted to facebook:

Matthew Holten
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000547783933

.Matthew Holten ap 17
Hillary Holten's memorial service will be held on May 11th at 3 PM. Place: St Catherine Of Siena Catholic Church, 1705 Peters Colony, Carrollton Tx,75007Share · Yesterday at 12:26am ·ap 17

.Matthew Holten  April 17
Lord God,source and destiny of our lives,in your loving providence you gave us Hillary,to grow in wisdom,age,and grace.Now you have called her to yourself.As we grieve the loss of one so young,we seek to understand your purpose.Draw her to yourself and give her full stature in Christ.May she stand with all the angles and saints,who know your love and praise your saving will.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.Amen. My daughter Hillary Holten,may she rest in peace with youdear Father.

Matthew Holten   April 15
For all my friends that did not hear about Hillary's passing,I want to let them know.She had a battle with pneumonia and an adrenal failure.We thought she was getting better and the lab tests said that but I guess God wanted her back home.This is the hardest thing that I have had to face and a part of me is missing and I will not be able to get it back ever again.I do not question God's decisions,...I just wish she still was with us.Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.We are going to have a memorial here in Carrollton Tx the first part o May and will let everyone know when.Again,this is something that is going to stay with us from now on.I just can't get use to not seeing her here with me at home and being able to hug her and tell her I love her and talk to her.This is just too hard for me right now,sorry.

Matthew Holten april 15

Donna,Hillary was my daughter and she passed away from being sick with pneumonia.This all started about 12 days ago,when she went into the hospital.April 15 at 10:22pm.

Matthew Holten April 16

I cannot believe what has happened let alone understand why it did.God must of have wanted her with him and she now is in his loving care.I will not even come close to figuring this out and a part of me is gone.The memories will still remain with me and Suzan and we are soo glad that all of you have helped us with your thoughts and prayers and words of comfort.I will never be able to thank all of you.but I know I have some of the best friends in the world and that is why I'm thankful at this time of loss for your support. · Monday at 6:13pm

Matthew Holten Apr 16
Father and protector of all you have created,we raise our hearts to you today for those who have passed from this mortal life.In your loving mercy,Father,be pleased to receive them in your heavenly company and forgive the failings and faults they must have done from human frailty.For all the faithful who have died we pray, but in particular for those dear to us.We ask this in Christ name.Hillary may be gone,but her spirit walks with me forever.My sweet angel always,no goodbyes,only love.

April 1 at 12:33pm ·
I'm asking all my friends to pray for my daughter Hillary Holten. She became deathly ill ,day before yesterday.She has a condition to were. She take Dexamethasone on a daily basis.Thursday she came home from spending the night with a friend.I noticed that she wasn't feeling to good.She became worse and began throwing up and could not hold down water.This went on all night and into the next day.I finally decided to take her to the ER.She has an infection,Phneumonia,please pray for her,please.

Important note: The adrenal glands are near the top of the kidneys. I had a friend ( we were both scientologists) who had an adrenal problem and his stomach would hurt when he was having problems with it. Fortunately he finally got medical attention but he's still a scientologist). My point is that I believe that the pain she felt during this time in withdrawal was referred pain from her adrenal glands. If she was abruptly taken off her medication, as I suspect, she could have experienced adrenal failure like the father mentions happened to her as one reason for her death. The thing is, I don't think they know that Narconon takes medicine away from students and probably never administered both her antibiotics and Dexamethasone. This should be looked into by the parents. The coroner is investigating" [..]

This obituary confirms that the girl needed medications. Whether the lack of them played a part in her death, we don't know. Whether the stress in withdrawal while being made to continue on with objective processes despite complaints of abdominal pain is related to her death, we shall see.

I just pray for this family and hope you will too.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:16 by Mary_McConnell »

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 18:39 »
Can the ME run any kind of blood test to determine if the level of corticosteroid in her blood was consistent with taking it up to the time of death, or if the amount in her blood would indicate she had not been taking it prior to her death??

BigBeard

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 18:59 »
Can the ME run any kind of blood test to determine if the level of corticosteroid in her blood was consistent with taking it up to the time of death, or if the amount in her blood would indicate she had not been taking it prior to her death??

Yes, they can do all that and check the antibiotics she was supposed to be taking while there - they have probably already done that. Some tests take longer than others but they are probably testing everything, including vitamin levels, as they were pumping her up with the drug bomb, too, per the program .

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 00:00 »
You're welcome. :)
FYI, readers, here is the link on the forum to Part I  KOKH FOX 25 News titled
"Narconon Arrowhead rehab deaths"   
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,10513.msg23467.html#msg23467

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2012, 20:41 »
There's been another one.

Just posted over on WWP, there's been another death at NarCONon Arrowhead.

Stacy Dawn Murphy 20, of Owasso was found dead at Narconon Arrowhead, according to a report by the PIttsburg County Sheriff's Department. This is the third death in the last year.

More at https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/another-death-at-nn-arrowhead-july-19th-2012.103943/

BigBeard

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2012, 21:00 »
What a shame! I'm so disgusted with the lack of action by state agencies.  :O^:O#red#
 :.{....
-Dalai Lama

Offline cnhender

• Fly in the Ointment
  • its a wog world
    • FB Narconon Exposed
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2012, 22:19 »
I have heard from a creditable source that the OSBI has knowledge of 5 deaths this YEAR!!!!!

The Pittsburg Co. Sheriffs Department has been dispatched to NN AH for holding students against their will.

There is a Mother and Father there right now trying to get their daughter out, but NN AH is useing that old "theres a paperwork issue".  There are around 15 other students from out of state that are trying to leave, but NN AH is refusing to trasport them to the Tulsa Int. Airport.

THIS IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!
Respectfully,
CH

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 22:11 »

Documentation that another death apparently did in the past occur here in Georgia @ a Narconon facility. More information will be forthcoming. Until today I was only aware of the tragic death of Patrick W Desmond while in the care of Narconon of Georgia.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 22:36 »

Documentation that another death apparently did in the past occur here in Georgia @ a Narconon facility. More information will be forthcoming. Until today I was only aware of the tragic death of Patrick W Desmond while in the care of Narconon of Georgia.

OMG!  :.{....

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 17:40 »
Moderator's note: I have split the discussion concerning Narconon Arrowhead in Canadian, Oklahoma into another thread: Narconon Oklahoma Multiple Deaths (Was Re: Narconon Deaths).

Let's keep this one as a list of Narconon Deaths, please, and have Narconon Oklahoma discussion in the thread linked above.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 00:53 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions