Author Topic: The harmful effects of CCHR and their sycophants  (Read 2197 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
The harmful effects of CCHR and their sycophants
« on: August 30, 2009, 16:44 »
I posted another thread about the mental health forum I happened upon, but as I kept reading, I found another thread there that tore at me.  This thread was started by a young man (Plex) who realized something wasn't right with his life, his mind.  He posted:

My days are spent inside my head, in my own private world, which I find hard to escape at times.

I need serious help (I'm practically dying) and I've tried many things.

I can't be more honest: I truly have no reason to live.

The forum members try to help him as best they can, which isn't much really, being that they're just on a forum, and urge him to seek professional help.  He is obviously in distress, then he says:

I've tried to convince myself that medication is the right way to go, but the more I read about it, the more I'm turned off by it.

Turns out he has been reading a book by Thomas Szasz called The Myth of Mental Illness.  Thomas Szasz co-founded the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) in 1969, along with scientology.  The admin offered up a PDF in rebuttal to Thomas Szasz, but Plex couldn't, or didn't, get anything useful from it.

He left the forum with this:
You might as well delete the rest of my posts, because they're worthless and I won't be returning.

Farewell.

I wonder what ever happened to him? 

This is but one of the harmful effects of the "work" of CCHR and the likes of Thomas Szasz; they attempt to convince someone who isn't thinking right, who may be mentally ill or psychotic, that the one thing that is most likely to help them, is wrong, harmful, and driven by a malicious agenda.

And who knows where Plex is now?  Is he wandering the streets?  Locked up?  Is he still alive? 

The thread is here: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/schizophrenia-and-related-disorders/11282-taking-chances.html

Edit: changed link to beginning of the thread, instead of page 2.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 22:20 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Raven

Re: The harmful effects of CCHR and their sycophants
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 21:47 »
To use an over used line "this is why".

This is why we must stop sceintology and its front groups.  Rather they destroy lives one individual at a time or several at once is irrelevant.  Szasz and his fruity cult want to take that garbage in that book and expanded it to legislate our ability to choose our medical treatments.

from: http://www.rickross.com/reference/scientology/psychiatry/psychiatry11.html

In the same year that Hubbard's "Today's Terrorism" article was published, Scientologists founded the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, an organization designed to "investigate and expose psychiatric violations of human rights," according to its Web site, which claims: "No mental 'diseases' have ever been proven to medically exist."

and part of the cchr driven legislation

This spring in Florida, where the Clearwater area is a Church of Scientology stronghold, CCHR mounted an aggressive political campaign to keep kids from getting psychiatric care. In the state Legislature, two CCHR-sponsored bills were backed by two Republicans, Rep. Gustavo Barreiro, of Miami Beach, and Sen. Victor Crist, of Tampa. Indeed, as Barreiro told the St. Petersburg Times, Scientologists had even written parts of the legislation. Both Barriero and Crist had been friendly with the church: They were guest speakers at a Scientology celebration where Crist touted the legislation and Barriero gave the church an award for volunteer work following the 2004 hurricanes.
The legislation spurred heated battles in the Florida statehouse and put Scientologists and CCHR up against a host of medical and psychological organizations, including the Florida Medical Association, the Florida School Boards Association, the Florida Psychological Association, the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, the Florida Department of Health, the Florida Department of Children and Families, and the Florida School Psychologists Association. Scientologists Kelly Preston and Kirstie "Fat Actress" Alley testified in Tallahassee on behalf of their church. At one point, Alley wept so hard -- "This isn't an issue about psychiatrist vs. non, but about the children" -- that she could barely get the words out. "It's tough lobbying against movie stars," says Daughton of the Florida Psychiatric Society. "Some of it was just surreal."

Offline 88 Champion Edition Turbo

• Met Xenu
  • Like the old 88, with hardly any difference!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 03:31 »
Quote from: Fat Actress
"This isn't an issue about psychiatrist vs. non, but about the children"

No, I'm pretty sure it's an issue about psychiatrist vs. non when you're speaking on behalf of a cult that bases their Satan figure around psychiatrists. That's like a Catholic trying to protest against a Marilyn Manson concert (which, sorry, no kids allowed) and saying "This has NOTHING to do with Christianity vs. Satanists, IT'S ABOUT OUR CHILDREN!" The only difference is that the Catholic protester is speaking against a message, not a proven science, and speaking about "the children" is even more irrelevant.

There was a time, even after the protests began, when I didn't feel a whole lot of remorse for the psychiatric field, but after talking with a lot of shrinks on the subject, and parents with children that are being LESS medicated (if at all) than they really should be due to fear of the uneducated masses screaming "Overmedication of the young!", they've earned my sympathy.
Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.
-The Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 20:01 »
Well said, 88.  I see now why you're the Champion Edition Turbo now. 
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions