Author Topic: How do people get involved with scientology without realizing it?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
From: http://alley.ethercat.com/cgi-bin/door/door.cgi?271

Thursday, 11th June, 2009 09:41:08pm

Name or Alias: onewhoneedssomepeace
Training and/or processing level: finished some basic coursework
Org or location: Florida
Time involved in the Church of Scientology: Church itself, one visit
Recommended Website - Scientology Kills

1. How did you first become acquainted with the Church of Scientology?
    I worked for an employer that signed up for some business management training from a front group. I did not know what I was getting into.

2. What initially appealed to you about scientology?
    I did not completely get IT (until the day I visited the church and had my epiphany) that what I was studying was the same exact coursework/training that is available at the church. I was just trying to be a good employee, trying to broaden my education, and increase my career potential. Being paid to take a trip to a sunny place, and being taken out and pampered during the trip was nothing that I could not 'handle'. (lol)

3. Were there problems in your life that you thought scientology would address?
    No. I was told and led to believe that it would prepare me for my new promotion. I believed that if I worked hard at it, I would receive accolades from my boss, which I did. I was surprised that it was study skills, communication exercises, and things of that nature, as they seemed harmless enough. I know more indepth information from my own research, and now my own experiences with Fair Game and disconnect also.

During my visit to the church, I was not alone. I have a son who is clinically depressed, on medication, and had attempted suicide. My boss knew of this, and was told I was part of the family...they just wanted to help. They told the pastor everything about us, and I did not even see the con then. I thought it was so kind and helpful that they would care so much for me and my family.

After I left the church, during my first/last visit, I was asked by my employer to contact them, more than once. I did not listen. I was fired after this refusal.

4. Did you see, experience, or hear about things that didn't seem right while you were in the Church of Scientology? What were they, and what convinced you to set aside your feelings?
    I only went to the Church itself one time. My boss asked me if I would accompany them to the Church, to look at what they offered. They were told that the same exact coursework we had taken at the front group's headquarters was 10 times cheaper. They had prepaid for the power program in the management training, and were in some debt because of it. They came back from classes and the seminars offered, practicing hard sell on unsuspecting, trusting people in their care. They started placing more value on making money than by being reasonable with people with questions that only this 'expert' can answer. It was an abuse of trust and power on their part, and they feel no guilt about it.

5. Why did you choose to stay in the Church of Scientology?
    I chose to leave immediately.

I was intimidated when they swooped in after the first few minutes in the course room, asking me to open up to my schedule. They want to now when I/we will be coming back for more training, AKA to pay them more money. *** Oh, I get it!

6. Were you staff or public? If staff, was it at a mission or an org? Were you ever in the Sea Org or OSA? Which unit? If not on staff, did you ever volunteer to 'help out'?
    Public. They would not want me!

7. Why did you leave the Church of Scientology? Was there a "final straw"?
    ***The epiphany***
    At that moment, I realized that I was being had. I had actually checked up on the web about this before I went there. I was able to talk myself and my son out of the room, while promising to come back on such and such. I did not do so. After a few weeks passed, my boss started asking me to call and talk to ' '. Eventually I was fired. Boss spun a reasonable request I made, then lied to me about it's resolution. This made me look like a terrible employee, who no will hire. If one gets fired for this reason, they are not eligible for any unemployment.

8. Do you think the Church of Scientology needs to change some of its practices? If so, what should be changed? How did those practices affect your life?
    This is not a church. It is a business. We were trained on the business side, but as a recepient of the hard sell during my training, as well as being trained to give it...I was not, in good conscience, able to do so. People are not that gullible, so trying to treat them as such is insulting them right off the bat. I am one of those truth seeking people, and I can tell when I am not getting it. It is a strong sense, one I have learned to absolutely trust since I have come up against such a poisonous adversary.

9. If the items you listed in the previous question were changed, would you consider rejoining or staying in the Church of Scientology? If so, why?
    Why would anyone go there to please their boss, on their OWN unpaid time, and open up their wallets for their own courses? I am a Catholic. Judging people based on this whack analysis, created and administered by madmen, is wild and completely mistaken. Everyone has problems in their lives. We are not the sum of our problems, and this crackpot 'religion' does not cure them, no matter how hard you wish. People are PEOPLE, not machines. Treat them like people, regardless of your creative assumptions about your imagined superiority.

10. Any additional comments you would like to make?
    I am being subject to fair game policy, to a minor degree by my refusal to return to the church as requested by this employer. I am afraid of what will happen after I divulge the whole story in my quest to right the wrong that hath been done to me.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I escaped before getting in very deeply because I read your stories and felt the truth and held onto it when I walked into and out of the fire.

There are a lot of stories like this out on the web.  Scientology presents a danger to people who don't think to research what they are getting involved with in advance.  It's sad to think that you may take courses that your employer requires, then get fired for not wanting to get involved with the "church," and it is illegal.  Unfortunately, due to the practice of "fair game," that is, a prescribed form of harassment, some of these people would rather just get on with their lives than pursue legal action.

Thank you for your story, whoever you are.  May it help someone else, as other people's stories helped you avoid mental capture.

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
This is a dreadful story.

It would be nice if the EEOC, OSHA, Department of Labor or somebody in a place of authority would take an interest in this type of thing. I don't know how many stories we have read now about people getting fired in similar circumstances, particularly employees in dental offices with a dentist in scientology.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

FYIANON

I have to be honest I rarely read your site cause it depressing me so much.

I'm glad they are free and realize its not a church

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I have to be honest I rarely read your site cause it depressing me so much.

I'm glad they are free and realize its not a church

The depressing ones are the few that are written by current members!  But, I figure, at least they are looking around if they happen to find it, and that's a good thing.

The ones that are out often thank me in the "Additional Comments" section for giving them an outlet to speak.  They're more often the average ex-members, rather than the Marc Headleys, the Maureen Bolsteads, Margery Wakefields, etc., but taken all together, they show the pattern that runs throughout scientology.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
Through the door dot net helps people get out of the cult. Could anything be more wonderful? Every time I check it for new responses, I hope to see x-friend's announcement of his escape. I don't really expect it, but I keep hoping - and maybe someday!

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis