Author Topic: Tips on editing posts  (Read 1565 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Tips on editing posts
« on: April 22, 2009, 18:42 »
The editor is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) style editor, but I've noticed that what you see in the editing window is not always what you get in your post.  Can be frustrating, if you want to exercise fine control over the look of your post.

I've found that clicking the button above the editing window will give you plain text, and will include the BBCode as plain text, so you can see what makes your post look the way it does.  That makes it easier to see what may be messing up the appearance, if you have a problem with it.  Some people may be more familiar with seeing the BBCode than with the default WYSIWYG.  (me.)

Also, if you copy and paste from a website (or some other documents) the editor will preserve the original formatting, including links to images.  That may be what you want, but if it isn't, and you want to eliminate the original formatting, clicking on the button will do it.  It is considered rude in the webmaster community to "hotlink" to images on other people's servers (and they will sometimes swap the images to something nasty, to retaliate), so it would be nice to take the time to put the image on tinypic.com or some other image posting site if you include an image pasted in from another site. 

Tinypic will let you post images without signing up for an account, and if you're like me and already have 10 zillion logins and passwords to keep up with, that can be a blessing.

A note about using tinypic:
Images and videos is in your account will not be removed. Images and videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

Edit:
I've started two new threads about uploading files and images:
Places to upload images
Places to upload files
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:07 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
Re: Tip on editing posts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 22:01 »
Imageshack, photobucket and so on are alternatives, but be warned that they have been known to flag "offensive" images (that are not, actually, offensive).

If you do choose photobucket, make sure your account name is unique from your protest ID(s) and your real life ID and your non-protest ID(s), and that you don't post personal images in the same album / account. I assume imageshack works in a similar way. Not sure if Flickr allows hotlinks, but have noticed that some Flickr links that pop up in Google Image searches come up 404.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline alias

• Administrator
  • Fly in the Ointment
Re: Tip on editing posts
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:03 »
You can turn the WYSIWYG editor off by default if you prefer.  Go to your profile, select "Look and Layout" then uncheck  "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default?"  Then you can switch back and forth as you want.

Be nice.  Don't hit.  Don't run with scissors.  Try not to make a mess, and if you do, clean it up.

What do you do when 'potential' is your favorite word
and then the bus leaves you at the next move sideways?
--The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy