Author Topic: Applied Scholastics is losing ground  (Read 20452 times)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Re: Applied Scholastics is losing ground
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49 »
Hi AnonLover!

I have enough headaches working on Narconon stuff but I wanted to say hello and thank you for joining :)

This is a terrific site to send friends and family who need a good place to get the facts about Scientology et al and not run into a wall of nomenclature.

Mary aka AnonyMary

oh hai!

I thought i should stop by with more details on the latest info gathering & dissemination on this fine effort Atlfags started.  <snip>
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 12:04 »
The Atlanta article is included in the info pack, and i hope we can inspire enough people to harpoon these issues where AS is an approved SES provider that we can stir up some more local media in the states where infiltration has happened.

Because unfortunately, based on the research i did - i dont think AS is "loosing ground" after all. It would appear instead that each yet they loose one or two states, and gain one or two new states in return. Case in point -- once the states who have policies for resubmitting a rejected SES application or process their application twice a year rather once a year all got their list of approved providers finalized in Jan-March of 2010; we ended up with Florida and Georgia dropping AS but DC and Illinois added them.

Thus i thought we needed better informational tools and an easier means to monitor every state (which is why the info pack has a large section at the end with a directory of contacts). And I'm planning on trying to stir up more attention & effort in the states that have been infiltrated when the big push to get Aussie senate inquiries submissions sent in winds down.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 14:27 »
Good grief. Maybe we need to send out a 50-state-wide bulletin every 3 months (quarterly) to the relevant departments, with relevant updates / court cases tied to Scientology / AS.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 18:31 »
Hi AnonLover, and welcome to Reaching For the Tipping Point! 

Thus we have UPDATED INFOS nao available for better poons!

Near Final Info Pack: AppliedScholasticsExposed2.pdf
  • still needs copypasta placeholder text in opening sections revamped into a trageted intro,
  • Feedback, suggestions & grammar nazi edits = DO WANT!

I get an error on this PDF - is it just me? or can you upload another copy somewhere?

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 20:57 »
Hi ethercat, here's an alternate link for the exact same pdf document in a zip file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?umwdzjtmvj0

if you still get same problem, chk and see what version your adobe acrobat reader is.

This file is working for me in v7, but i made it with a brand new pdf writer tool that i'm not yet intimately familiar with. so i'm thinking i might not have the default settings setup such that the generated pdf files are backwardly compatible with older acrobat versions.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 21:41 »
Hi ethercat, here's an alternate link for the exact same pdf document in a zip file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?umwdzjtmvj0

if you still get same problem, chk and see what version your adobe acrobat reader is.

This file is working for me in v7, but i made it with a brand new pdf writer tool that i'm not yet intimately familiar with. so i'm thinking i might not have the default settings setup such that the generated pdf files are backwardly compatible with older acrobat versions.

Thanks, AnonLover.  I still get an error message that the file contains errors, but Acrobat will try to open it anyway.  Then I see blank pages, and a message that says, "An error exists on this page.  Acrobat may not display the page correctly.  Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem."  Then when I click "OK" it says, "Wrong Operand type."

I can see that it contains 43 pages, though.  I have Acrobat 8. 

I tried to open it with the GIMP and it gave this error:
"Opening 'AppliedScholastics/AppliedScholasticsExposed2.pdf' failed:

Could not open 'AppliedScholasticsExposed2.pdf' for reading: PDF document is damaged."

I've had good luck with a freebie PDF creator called "PDF995" and Open Office contains an "Export to PDF" option also.

I've used Foxit for reading (less bloated than Acrobat) but never writing.  (I could see that in the document properties.)
   Narconon Reviews

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 23:44 »
I can see that it contains 43 pages, though.  I have Acrobat 8.

Well darn, that sucks... i was really hoping you would come bak and say you had a really old version of Acrobat  :( sorry for the hassles but thk goodness you told me (I'd of never known in Adobe 7)

I'll have to see about getting someone with a better pdf writer to create the final version for me once its done. Meanwhile, here's the latest greatest draft of the info pack as a native msword doc:  http://www.mediafire.com/?motmff3mwat

^^lots of things trimmed, chopped, replaced, and added since the last draft. And srs bizness research has begun for finishing up the 1st section with a proper intro/synopsis on the following new thread over on WWP: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/69-cos-front-groups/debunking-applied-scholastics-research-results-papers-67176/

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 11:27 »
I had the same problem that ethercat had with the pdf. I will try the word doc.

Update- file corrupt.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 19:11 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 19:05 »
No joy yet, AnonLover.  This time I get this when I open the zip:

error [AppliedScholasticsExposedDox.zip]:  missing 32768 bytes in zipfile
  (attempting to process anyway)
error [AppliedScholasticsExposedDox.zip]:  attempt to seek before beginning of zipfile

Is the zip file 3.56 MB on your system?  That's what it is on the mediafire site, maybe it's a mediafire problem?  The doc file I get is 4325376 bytes. 

Free, are you able to open it? 
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 19:11 »
No see above.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 21:30 »
[shakes head] WTH, i cant win.

Is the zip file 3.56 MB on your system?

arrrgh... no its 3.59MB.   brb - reuploading

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 21:35 »
Third time is a charm, hopefully... mediafire seemed to choke again on the latest zip file on the retry, so i went to megaupload instead:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J78OD6Q4

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 21:49 »
Victory! Third time is the charm.
-Dalai Lama

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 09:03 »
whew! ok now that i got filesharing hassle resolved... anybody got any feedback for me on the parts that are done? (note - i'm still compilng the opening section)

also a bit of trivia: In my research i found that ASI was dropped from the approved SES Providers list in GA, FL, MI and OH. anybody know of any other states that dropped 'em?

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 17:27 »
I've got it too, now.  Thanks, AnonLover.  I've uploaded a PDF for you here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=19QMXOZQ  (Open Office will read Word files, and contains an "export to PDF" option.)

I'll read it this weekend and send my comments, corrections, and/or suggestions to you, unless you'd rather they be posted openly here?

Narconon Reviews

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 18:14 »
yes feel free to post feedback openly, or via PM - either way is fine. i exchanged one PM already with someone else who asked all the basic first impression questions -- whoa, why so big? who be the target audience? ummm, needs shorter version or cover letter?

Here's my responses for benefit of all and to help pave the way for more feedback & input...
Target audience for the full blown extended info pack is fellow activists & other parties in the education field who we try to enlist additional help from with pooning state & national level peeps.

I had advice from a educator on putting this together, someone who formerly worked for my state's board of ed as coordinator of the Fresh Start program but is now asst superintendent at regional level.  So yeah it is big - its meant to be a followup resource for use as backup material after we get a teacher/board-member/politician's interest rather than the first thing we hit 'em with.

The abbreviated version like your suggesting is what i attempted to do on the related wiki page here:  http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/Applied_Scholastics_in_the_USA and i was hoping that maybe once i had all the other parts & pieces finished up and polished, maybe a portion of the bigger dox could be reused here on this site to do an applied scholastics page just like the handy dandy one done for narconon.

And yes - we still need an initial step letter to go with all of the above. The idea being that once SES application is approved @ the state level, lots more voices below the state level need to be raising a stink. So when the initial letter (that links to wiki page, studytech.org and/or other site) gets a a positive response asking for more info, the extended info packet can be forwarded along or presented in person in order to fully inform other allies outside of activist circles and give everyone with concerns plenty of harpoon fodder for writing multiple letters & addressing their concerns on multiple levels.

And since alot of those extended allies will be educators themselves, the advice i had gotten was 50pages or less would be a reasonable size to distribute, which will likely be comparable to the average sized documentation attached to a SES application or distributed with any kind of new educational program, a teacher/educator wont bat an eye at that sort of documention and will likely make a good first impression if their already interested.

Now granted, its too large and broad for targeting politicians... and my thoughts there was its more for use as a reference for the peeps writing to their legislatures and urging better regulations. Plus too - once the big/extended info pack is complete, it should be easy enough to slice & dice down a smaller brochure out of it for situations where a shorter one would make a better fit.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 00:07 »
Ok, little by little, I'll be posting things as I read.  Here's one.

Page 3 of the PDF:
Parents' expenditures for their children's education could be siphoned off to the Church of Scientology, without their knowledge or consent.

It was my understanding that the parents don't pay for SES themselves - the government provides a set amount per student, per hour of tutoring.  I know that's the way it is in Georgia.  Is it that way in all the states, or is Georgia just different?  It has impact on more people if all taxpayers are paying for AS via SES.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 13:09 »
good catch Ethercat - i'll definitely revisit that and make it more appropriate.

FWIW - one of my strategies with this documentation was to try and divide the many problems related to Applied Scholastics, and just tackle the SES Provider angle without going into too much detail on the private school side of things. that proved to be easier said then done when pulling together additional materials... so not surprising i still got refinement to do in that regard.

Thanks for the feedback & keep it coming. I temporarily shifted a gear to write a submission for the aussie senate inquiry, but I'll have my head back into this project in another week or so, once I have my support for Sen. Xenuphone sent off.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 18:31 »
A note for throughout the document: nonprofit or non-profit both appear to be acceptable spellings, but make sure you are consistent throughout.  I have spotted both, and have also seen "non profit" which doesn't appear to be an officially acceptable spelling.

Page 15 of the PDF (14 on the doc) near the bottom:

The quote appears in the International Scientology News #25, which was published circa August 2003.  The briefing letter is sent out to thousands of Scientologist, and includes reports of legal "wins"...

Should be "Scientologists".

Next page, 16 in the PDF:
However, Hollander's frank - and very public - admission that the real purpose of the program is to "inject the tech into society at all levels" were made at an event not only endorsed, but was actually organized by the International Association of Scientologists...

doesn't read well to me.  Suggestion:

"However, Hollander's frank - and very public - admission that the real purpose of the program is to "inject the tech into society at all levels" were made at an event not only endorsed, but was actually also organized, by the International Association of Scientologists..."

17 of the PDF:
The prevailing goal of the Scientology parent organization and all of its front group subsidiaries is spread the religious doctrines of L. Ron Hubbard in effort to achieve "Planetary Clearing".

Should be:
The prevailing goal of the Scientology parent organization and all of its front group subsidiaries is to spread the religious doctrines of L. Ron Hubbard in an effort to achieve "Planetary Clearing".

You may also want to look this up in a style guide, or maybe Lorelei or someone else can chime in with their opinion.  I believe the punctuation ( . ) at the end should be inside the quote marks (...to achieve "Planetary Clearing."), but I'm not positive.

Also, see below.

This is a global initiative for implementing tactical battle plans for "clearing the planet" though expansion of their official churches as well as their social betterment programs carefully hidden within secular franchise business that benefit from religious cloaking frauds to claim non-profit status..

This sentence isn't making enough sense for me to determine exactly what you want to say, or how you might say it better.  Also, it has 2 periods.  Remove one. 

Here's a guess at what you might be trying to say, and a means of combining it with the sentence before it:

"The prevailing goal of the Scientology parent organization and all of its front group subsidiaries is to spread the religious doctrines of L. Ron Hubbard in an effort to achieve "Planetary Clearing," a global initiative for "clearing the planet." This is planned to take place though expansion of their official churches as well as their social betterment programs, which are carefully hidden within secular franchise businesses and benefit from religious cloaking frauds with non-profit status."

What does "clear the planet" mean? It means that Scientologists want to clear the planet of insanity, war, and crime, and in its place create a civilization in which sanity and peace exist.

Suggested rephrasing:

"What does "clear the planet" mean? It means that Scientologists want to rid the planet of insanity, war, and crime, and instead create a new civilization in which sanity and peace exist."

18 of the PDF:
A Clear Expansion Committee (CEC) is an regional scientology board centered...

"An" should be "a."

"The purpose of one of these committee in Florida..."

should be plural, "committees."

L. Ron Hubbard's goal from the beginning was to "clear the planet," in other words, to see that everyone on earth became a clear, including the use of controversial means.

I'd change it to say:
"L. Ron Hubbard's goal from the beginning was to "clear the planet," in other words, to see that everyone on earth became a Scientology clear, including even through the use of controversial means."

The "Education Groups" that fall include Applied Scholastics, World Literacy Crusade, along with 13 schools or tutoring services ...

Clarify:

"The "Education Groups" that fall under the CEC include Applied Scholastics and World Literacy Crusade, along with 13 schools or tutoring services ..."

A view that totally refutes the parent organization's claims of Applied Scholastics being strictly secular in nature.

is not a complete sentence, and I think "claim" should be singular.  Say instead:

"This is a view that totally refutes the parent organization's claim of Applied Scholastics being strictly secular in nature."

Stopping for now on page 20 (so I can keep my place).   ;)
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 21:53 »
Tutoring Service Approved By DC Public Schools Has Ties To Church of Scientology - MyFox Washington DC
7 July 2010, 6:33 pm
By MELANIE ALNWICK/myfoxdc

Federal law says that failing public schools have to provide free tutoring service to students. It is called Supplemental Educational Services (SES).

Concerned parents contacted FOX 5 about one of the groups approved for tutoring by D.C.'s Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) - a group that has connections to the founder of the Church of Scientology.

Applied Scholastics International is one of 29 tutoring services listed in the Title I Supplemental Educational Services Guide. Parents of students in failing D.C. public schools can choose which provider they would prefer for their children.

The list makes no mention of the group's controversial ties. But Applied Scholastics’ website does not try to hide its connections.

ASI uses a method called Study Technology, "an exact system which teaches one how to learn" that was "researched and developed by L. Ron Hubbard.” Hubbard is the founder of the Church of Scientology.

Answering the question "What does Applied Scholastics do?” the site says, "The job of Applied Scholastics is to place the Study Technology developed by … L. Ron Hubbard into the hands of the world's students and educators."

FOX 5 has learned that D.C. Public Schools paid the group a total of $12,000 in federal funds for tutoring services provided for the 2009-2010 school year.

That raised eyebrows of the D.C. Public Schools advocates we reached. Some were concerned that recent budget cuts and layoffs at the Office of the School Superintendent for Education might have affected its screening criteria. Not the case, said Chad Colby, a spokesperson for OSSE.

Colby said there is "a strict and intensive application process for tutoring services.” He noted that OSSE follows federal guidelines in approving tutors for the SES program and that those rules do allow faith-based organizations to participate.

Colby said the bottom line is about student achievement. He says OSSE does monitor programs to make sure they are improving student grades, and following the school system's curriculum.
more at http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dc/tutoring-service-approved-by-dc-public-schools-has-ties-to-church-of-scientology-070710
-Dalai Lama