Author Topic: Applied Scholastics is losing ground  (Read 21646 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: Applied Scholastics is losing ground
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 16:43 »
DeMorning DeBonis: July 8, 2010 - Washington Post (blog)
8 July 2010, 10:56 am

CHURCH AND STATE -- Nice find by WTTG-TV's Melanie Alnwick: A tutoring group approved by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education has ties to the Church of Scientology, and some parents are none too happy. "Applied Scholastics International is one of 29 tutoring services listed in the Title I Supplemental Educational Services Guide. ... The list makes no mention of the group's controversial ties. But Applied Scholastics' website does not try to hide its connections. ASI uses a method called Study Technology, 'an exact system which teaches one how to learn' that was "researched and developed by L. Ron Hubbard." Hubbard is the founder of the Church of Scientology. ... FOX 5 has learned that D.C. Public Schools paid the group a total of $12,000 in federal funds for tutoring services provided for the 2009-2010 school year."

found at http://voices.washingtonpost.com/debonis/2010/07/demorning_debonis_july_8_2010.html
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 19:21 »
Stopping for now on page 20 (so I can keep my place).   ;)

AnonLover, should I continue proofreading?

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 21:28 »
California:
Final List of 2010-2012 SES Providers Approved by the State Board of Education at the May 2010 Meeting. The providers are approved to provide services from July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2012

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/ti/2010prov.asp

Applied Scholastics is not on it.   C{{O}}   :^:^:^:E

Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 22:01 »
 o=R=o :888-O
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 02:02 »
Applied Scholastics is not on it.   C{{O}}   :^:^:^:E

GREAT SUCCESS!
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 20:52 »
belated thks for the info pack corrections ethercat - real life stuff had me delay finishing up my project on this front. but looks like a fine time to finish it up with latest news that more states have kicked ASI SES approvals to the curb!

new polished/updated info pack document coming soon.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 22:12 »
Thanks for the update, AnonLover.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Wow! Must see video..... I wonder which school the author based this book and video clip on:

The Symphony of Leif 
Leif Csuba is sent to a Scientology Boarding School...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msXve4_qBT0

Author Publishes Scientology Novel
The Symphony of Leif by Hawaii author Paul Y. Csige makes its debut at bookstores throughout the U.S.
 Email  PDF  Print .Kailua Kona, HI (PRWEB) January 3, 2011

The Symphony of Leif (CsiMec, Inc. 2010) by Hawaii author Paul Y. Csige made its debut in U.S. bookstores this month. Distributed by Ingram Books and also available for Kindle, the novel is a coming of age story about a boy from the Big Island of Hawaii who is sent away to a Scientology boarding school in the Pacific Northwest. Desperate to escape his current school and his domineering father, Leif says “Aloha” to his island home. At first blush the Lamia School seems to be a dream come true, but soon Leif discovers darker and more sinister intentions than educating young minds.

Paul Csige was dubbed, “a scarily talented young fellow from Kailua-Kona who seems able to do just about anything,” in a review of The Symphony of Leif by Burl Burlingame in the Honolulu Star Advertiser. In addition to his recently released first novel, Csige, age 28, has had a successful career as a composer and film maker. In 2009 he collaborated with renown Polynesian artist and historian, Herb Kawainui Kane, to produce an hour long animated film, Voyagers: The First Hawaiians (Guiding Star Pictures, LLC 2009) an adaptation of Kane’s 1976 book Voyage: The Discovery of Hawaii (Island Heritage). Csige directed, edited and animated over 300 of Kane’s works of art for the film in addition to composing and recording the original musical score. Voyagers: The First Hawaiians aired on PBS in 2010 and is currently available in DVD.

Paul Csige was commissioned by The Kamuela Philharmonic Orchestra to compose an original opus for the symphony’s January 2008 performance in Hawaii. Again collaborating with Herb Kane, a multi-media recording of the concert earned the Aloha Accolade Award for Excellence from the Honolulu International Film Festival.

Paul Csige is currently working on a second novel, a concerto, and a live action feature movie scheduled for filming in Hawaii in the summer of 2011.

Please visit the official site at: http://www.thesymphonyofleif.com

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/01/prweb4925484.htm
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 16:49 »
I apologize if this is linked elsewhere. There are some excellent resources on Applied Scholastics in this WWP thread:
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/applied-scholastics-infodump-summary-thread-background-and-current-events-2011.77633/
-Dalai Lama

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 15:34 »
bumpty... the draft info pack swapped around earlier in this thread that i was working on early-late spring of 2010, never got completely finished before the school year ended & SES approval season rolled 'round.

But it has been recently resurrected, dusted off & finished up for spring 2011 due to some ambitious MO anons appearing on the wwp scene with an interest to knockdown ASI's approval in their home state turf likes been done elsewhere.

so yeah - took me over a year, but my doxmeister researchfag masterpiece is now complete!  ;D

(drumroll)

Applied Scholastics Exposed Info Pack 2011 (ver3)

Related wiki page with the list of SES approval states, recently updated for current 2010-11 school year approvals, contact infos & new school district stats/references: List of States Using Applied Scholastics

^^Once late season approvals/changes factored in, ends up we're NOT gaining as much ground as was thought before the current school year got underway. (we went from 9 states last summer up to 11, Iowa amongst the most recent additions that almost went unnoticed). Thus i figured it was high time we had nice comprehensive set of harpooning tools & ammo readily available before the current school year ends and new approval season gets under way.

Changes done to the main document since the draft version shared include Ethercat's corrections (thanks again!), additional graphics/links on the original content plus a good bit of brand new content that came out in last year incorporated.

Enjoy!

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 23:52 »
Very nice. Thanks!
-Dalai Lama

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 13:48 »
I always love seeing these kinds of progress!

It's yet more chipping at Scientology's recruitment base.  Some states may take a while, for various reasons, but it's worth continuing. 

AnonLover, I appreciate the work you and others have been putting into this, and the good news is always astounding.

What I'll find entertaining is when I start hearing that Scientology is changing the name of Applied Scholastics, trying to get around their lack of approval by many states' school boards.  At that point, it should be much easier to notify school boards that a non-approved entity is circumventing their refusal to "help."

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 15:52 »
A discussion dedicated to the latest list of approved states and related harpooning efforts has been started on WWP here:

Applied Scholastics Tutors Approved in 11 States (2010-11)

Indiana is one of the bigger targets for concentrated attention this year - their rumored to be suspended for 2010-11 due to lack of utilization. IOW, one foot out the door.... just needs a couple little shoves to help it along ;)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2011, 23:28 »
Thank you for your efforts, AnonLover.  You are truly a gem.   \^^/

It's good to keep an eye on what they're doing, because while we all have lives beyond exposing scientology, scientology has people dedicated FULL TIME to promoting it.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 22:27 »
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/03/01/tutors0301.html

^^^ link no longer working. Here is the archived link and story on the now-defunct program

Controversial church linked to tutors on state list
By Cameron McWhirter, Heather Vogell
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Sunday, March 01, 2009
https://web.archive.org/web/20090304141811/http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/03/01/tutors0301.html

A tutoring agency in Cobb County with ties to the Church of Scientology has drawn critics along with federal dollars.

Applied Scholastics pledges to offer only secular lessons. But critics who lodged four complaints last year against the nonprofit —- which uses Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard’s teachings —- wrote they feared it wouldn’t keep ideology out of the classroom.

State education officials began an annual inspection in February and will observe the group’s tutoring this month. The review will include making sure Applied Scholastics’ policies and teachings are geared toward secular instruction, officials said.

Private agencies apply to the state Board of Education for a spot on the list of tutors parents can pick from to get extra help for children at certain schools that failed to meet federal academic standards. Georgia’s Department of Education monitors approved tutors while the federal government foots the bill.

Scientology is a religion that counts among its members such Hollywood celebrities as Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Applied Scholastics has caused controversy in recent years in U.S. cities as well as in other countries. In April, for instance, a Boston pilot program for a charter school had its foundation grant questioned after a newspaper reported the school was adopting Applied Scholastics.

Supporters argue the program is nonreligious and has helped students overcome learning problems. Opponents argue it’s a veiled way for Scientology —- which some opponents charge is a cult —- to bring its ideas to children and their parents.

Applied Scholastics uses Hubbard’s “study technology,” described on the group’s Web site as “a system of learning how to learn.” Hubbard argued that a tutor needs to work closely with students to overcome barriers to learning by breaking down complex ideas.

Critics argue that Hubbard’s framework and terminology used in StudyTech mimic the practices of Scientology. People joining Scientology are assigned an “auditor” who helps them break down barriers.

A spokeswoman for St. Louis-based Applied Scholastics said the tutor does not teach Scientology, but does use Hubbard’s educational practices.

“Our organization is not a religious organization,” said Keri Lee. “There is no connection to any church. We use Mr. Hubbard’s teachings. And we are really grateful for them.”

Four of the 123 other state-approved tutors say they are faith-based. None has received complaints, state officials said.

The Georgia Board of Education approved Applied Scholastics in 2006 for a three-year license —- which is up for renewal in September —- to tutor children in grades one through eight in reading and math. The group currently tutors 17 students in Cobb County, state officials said.

The four e-mailed complaints last year alleged Applied Scholastics is a front for Scientology, though none came from a tutored student’s parent. Two of the writers identified themselves as Georgia residents; a third said she was a former Applied Scholastics student.

Mona Manus, who learned about the group while surfing the Web, filed a complaint in April.

State officials said that as long as Applied Scholastics follows state and federal rules, it can remain on the approved tutor list.

“The law was designed to give parents the option and allow them to do the research,” said Dana Tofig, state education spokesman.

Applied Scholastics received $11,300 in federal money for the past two school years, a Cobb district spokesman said.

In its application, Applied Scholastics cited Hubbard’s work as the basis for its approach. State examiners gave the application acceptable marks overall, but they raised questions about the group’s effort to remain non-ideological.

But in its spring 2007 review, Applied Scholastics met or exceeded all state requirements, documents show, including neutrality. State tutor program monitor Lou Ferretti said that during that site visit he saw students sitting at a table at a Cobb library working.

Cruise was a speaker at the opening of the Applied Scholastics world headquarters in 2003. The Scientology magazine Freedom reported he told the crowd that he was trying to learn how to fly for the 1986 movie “Top Gun,” but he had trouble understanding the manuals. He said he had been “diagnosed with a false label, dyslexia.”

“Shortly after that I discovered ‘the Study Technology,’ ” he said, adding that he later learned to fly.

CHECK OUR SOURCES

Georgia Board of Education

www.doe.k12.ga.us/pea_board.aspx?PageReq=PEABoardMembers

Official Applied Scholastics Web site

www.appliedscholastics.org

Critic of Applied Scholastics

www.studytech.org
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2014, 09:42 »
A favorite article. I think it is linked earlier in the thread, but always good to bump!
-Dalai Lama

Offline DeathHamster

• Actual Trouble Source
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2015, 18:43 »
Applied Scholastics Online Academy has actually managed to get WASC accreditation. (WASC is a real accreditation organization.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Association_of_Schools_and_Colleges

I've started to throw a page together on them.

Category:Applied Scholastics Online Academy

One oddity that I've noticed is that their Form 990s used the Applied Scholastics group exemption number 4171 until 2010, but not after.

They seem to have a lot of revenue, but very little assets. Gee, I wonder where all the money goes?

As they are "online", I wonder if they'll be used as a backdoor accreditation for students at other Applied Scholastics?

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2015, 20:25 »
Thanks for keeping us informed on this, DH

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2015, 03:47 »
That's odd, unless they're omitting it to mask the fact they are part of APPLIED SCHOLASTICS INTERNATIONAL.

The ASI branch operating as "APPLIED SCHOLASTICS ONLINE ACADEMY" is still listed in the IRS database as part of Group Exemption Number 4171. And it's obvious from the ruling date, they only have there 501(c)3 status because of the Group Exemption granted to ASI as part of the 1993 Closing Agreement.

This is current list of ASI facilities the IRS considers part of GEN 4171 as of 06/08/15:

EIN
NAME
ADDRESS
CITY, ST, ZIP
GEN, SC, AC (AC 6 = Controlling organization, 9 = Subordinate organization)
RULING DATE
DBA (If any)

APPLIED SCHOLASTICS INTERNATIONAL
11755 RIVERVIEW DR
SAINT LOUIS MO 63138-3610
4171 03 6

15020 BURWOOD DR
PERRIS CA 92570-9499
4171 03 9
APPLIED SCHOLASTICS ONLINE ACADEMY

12700 35TH AVE NE
SEATTLE WA 98125-4508
4171 03 9
ACADEMY OF SEATTLE LAUREL ACADEMY

1018 E SAHARA AVE STE D
LAS VEGAS NV 89104-3222
4171 03 9
ACADEMY FOR LEARNING

913 E SYRENA CIR
SANDY UT 84094-3032
4171 03 9
APPLIED SCHOLASTICS ACADEMY OF SLC

APPLIED SCHOLOASTICS INTERNATIONAL [Note 'Scholastics' misspelled in IRS database]
536 E MENDOCINO ST
ALTADENA CA 91001-2232
4171 03 9
RENAISSANCE ACADEMY INC

PO BOX 29726
LOS ANGELES CA 90029-0726
4171 03 9
APPLIED SCHOLASTICS OUTREACH

3031 ANGUS ST
LOS ANGELES CA 90039-2557