Author Topic: Scientific Facts - Citizens Commission on Human Rights of St. Louis  (Read 1516 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Scientific Facts - Citizens Commission on Human Rights of St. Louis
4 July 2011, 9:40 pm
For over four decades, CCHR has worked to expose and eradicate psychiatric violations of human rights and restore human rights and dignity to mental health. CCHR's work will only be complete when psychiatry's fraudulent practices are eliminated and it ...

....Psychiatric “disorders” are not medical diseases. Psychiatrists deal  exclusively with mental “disorders,” not proven diseases. Psychiatry has  never established the cause of any “mental disorders.” The theory that  mental disorders derive from a “chemical imbalance” in the brain is unproven opinion, not fact. The brain is not the real cause of life’s problems.

The psychiatric billing bible, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, has become so widely relied upon within society that it  has taken on the aura of scientific fact. Millions now use and believe in  its diagnostic abilities, never once suspecting that the whole premise and the system itself are fraudulent. These people are at risk of making seriously wrong, even fatal, turns in either their own lives, or the lives of others.

For over four decades, CCHR has worked to expose and eradicate psychiatric violations of human rights and restore human rights and dignity to mental  health. CCHR’s work will only be complete when psychiatry’s fraudulent  practices are eliminated and it is held accountable for its harmful treatments and human rights violations. Help CCHR St. Louis accomplish this goal with your tax-deductible donations and volunteer help.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 16:51 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Dr. Steve Wiseman offers a few words in response to this CCHR article:

Hi ______,

It certainly doesn't appear that CCHR St. Louis' article on science contains much more than hysterical accusations and unsubstantiated opinions; the irony here is sure to bring a smile to the faces of many psychiatrists around the world!

Scientology and the CCHR continue to confuse the accuracy of "facts" with the process of science. When we start to believe in certainty, in any form, we have departed from the scientific method. Scientology accuses psychiatry of not being scientific because psychiatric assumptions and practices have changed over the years; they are entirely blind to the reality that it is because psychiatry has evolved that actually makes it a scientific process.

We have not taught that psychiatric disorders are caused by a "chemical imbalance" since the 1970's. On account of an incredibly robust body of research in neuroscience and other disciplines, we now believe that many conditions arise through complex yet subtle functional changes in the central nervous system arising from genetic and experiential vulnerabilities modified by further stressors and personal context. Precisely because psychiatry is grounded in the scientific method, it is a certainty that in another thirty years, this explanation too will have been left behind, or at least substantially improved upon. Psychiatrists are not defensive about this; we embrace it!

Anyone who has actually read  DSM-IV-TR and used it correctly knows the American Psychiatric Association does not claim it as immutable "scientific fact", but rather makes this statement on page xxxiii:

"It must be noted that DSM-IV reflects a consensus about the classification and diagnosis of mental disorders derived at the time of its initial publication. New knowledge generated by research or clinical experience will undoubtedly lead to an increased understanding of the disorders included in DSM-IV, to the identification of new disorders, and to the removal of some disorders in future classifications. The text and criteria sets included in DSM-IV will require reconsideration in light of evolving new information".

I would challenge CCHR St. Louis, in the spirit of the APA's statement above, to identify three (3) "facts" or opinions written or published in the 1950's by L. Ron Hubbard which have now been disproven, or should be reconsidered in light of the progress of our modern understanding of the world and how it works. What of his work pertaining to the "Modern Science of Mental Health", first published in 1950, has now been pushed aside by scientific progress? I will await a response from CCHR St. Louis, and frankly the entire "Church" of Scientology in this matter--and if one is not forthcoming, their comments about psychiatry and science must continue to be rejected and ridiculed for the most grotesque hypocrisy.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Steve
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Dr. Steve Wiseman offers a few words in response to this CCHR article:

I would challenge CCHR St. Louis, in the spirit of the APA's statement above, to identify three (3) "facts" or opinions written or published in the 1950's by L. Ron Hubbard which have now been disproven, or should be reconsidered in light of the progress of our modern understanding of the world and how it works. What of his work pertaining to the "Modern Science of Mental Health", first published in 1950, has now been pushed aside by scientific progress? I will await a response from CCHR St. Louis, and frankly the entire "Church" of Scientology in this matter--and if one is not forthcoming, their comments about psychiatry and science must continue to be rejected and ridiculed for the most grotesque hypocrisy.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Steve

I hope he doesn't hold his breath while he waits - and I'm quite sure he won't, if past and present statements are anything to judge by. 

Leave it to Steve to spell out the S word in CCHR's  %BS|P .   

Thank you, once again, Dr. Wiseman!

P.S. The subject of this thread has an oxymoron in it.   :D
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline MafiaWog

• On the path to knowledge

Heh, yeah.  It's a technicality, but some things do seem pretty much factual if the element of predicting the future is removed...as in "If I drop a rock while on Earth, it will fall down," assuming the earth isn't destroyed or something...

But yeah, technically they're not facts, just extremely high levels of confidence heh. 
I hate CCHR.  Non-sequitor, I know, but I couldn't help it.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
It's amazing how CCHR sticks to this same line of reasoning (if you could call it that) ad infinitum without staying abreast of their subject matter.

True that.  3((:
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
CCHR is following the "if you tell a lie often enough people will believe it" tactic, hoping that by implanting (hehe) the suggestion that what they espouse are facts, that the less well-educated people will believe it.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions