Author Topic: Check Out 'Scientology High,' the $42000-a-Year 'Real-World Hogwarts' - Gawker  (Read 2937 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Check Out 'Scientology High,' the $42000-a-Year 'Real-World Hogwarts' - Gawker
29 September 2011, 2:10 am
Here's a promotional video for Delphian School, an expensive ($42,000 a year!) prep school located in rural Oregon. One thing they fail to mention: "A good majority" of its staff consists of Scientologists, and "the structure of the school, its ethical code and its language all reflect the influence and precepts of Scientology."

Delphian, which is K-12 and has about 250 students, was founded by Scientologists in the 70s. It's not actually accredited (it's in the "final stages" of the process), but costs more than $42,000 between tuition, room and board. And what do you get for your money? The Daily's Ben Carlson interviewed several former students and came away with a nice portrait of the school's... intriguing education philosophy:

Study Tech revolves around three basic ideas: All educational problems arise from misunderstood words (including words as basic as "the" or "it"); abstract ideas need to be shown in pictures or clay to be grasped; and students should not progress in a subject until they master every single step.

[...]

[Former student Paul] Csige said that, as a high schooler, he was asked to sculpt the numbers one through 10 in clay. He began smashing the clay into the shape "3", but was told this didn't have enough "mass." To show the number three, he had to roll up three balls of clay.

more at http://gawker.com/5844959/check-out-scientology-high-the-42000+a+year-real+world-hogwarts
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 14:41 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
More coverage on Delphian School:

Scientology's 'real-world Hogwarts' boarding school: 7 talking points
A guide to the key revelations in The Daily's exposé of Delphian School, a "secretive and secluded" campus based on the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard.

http://theweek.com/article/index/219762/scientologys-real-world-hogwarts-boarding-school-7-talking-points
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
The Daily's Ben Carlson wrote the original article referred to by Gawker and others. It's a very good article. 

EXCLUSIVE: SCULPTING YOUNG MINDS
Ex-students at ‘Scientology High’ describe intense, hands-on work and sit-still drills
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/09/27/092711-news-scientology-day-one-1-7/

Carlson had posted around the other forums looking for former students for this article, which was written to be shared from The Daily iPad app

I wrote him and informed him about people who I believe attended Delphian School, including Paul Csige who had recently written a fictionalized novel about a Scientology boarding school in the North West. From having read the book I suspected that Csige had actually attended the Delphian School and so sent his info to Carlson. I am so glad Csige participated. :)

His book is called The Symphony of Leif by Paul Y Csige ( paperback and Kindle ) Excellent read.
http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-Leif-Paul-Y-Csige/dp/1603650040/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317423369&sr=8-1

Here is a movie trailer made about the book http://youtu.be/msXve4_qBT0
Here is my review of the book:

A Fictionalized 'How I Survived a Scientology Boarding School and Lived to Tell About It", July 1, 2011
By Mary McConnell "'Mary McConnell'" (USA) - 

This review is from: The Symphony of Leif (Paperback)
I bought this book for myself because I saw that it was about life for one boy at a Scientology boarding school. As soon as it arrived, I was still reading Janet Reitman's 'Inside Scientology' so I offered it to my teenager in the hopes that the book would take him away from his video games onto the reading list I planned for him for the summer.

My son could not put the book down until he was finished. I have never seen him like this about a book! When I told him I was going to write a review, he said to tell readers "This is an awesome book!" And indeed it is. I wish Janet Reitman had read it before she wrote about the exscientology kids in this new book of hers. She would have had a better perspective of what these kids are made to endure and perhaps ask more involved questions when she interviewed them.

This is an profound, touching and well written fictionalized story from the perspective of bright but dyslexic teenager who makes the choice to attend a boarding school he knows almost nothing about rather than become the failure his father has already decided he will probably be. Little does he know what he has gotten himself into and where it will take his life. We share in the often times harrowing adventure as he matures while learning to survive the Truman Show confines of the opressive and totalitarian Scientology based 'Lamia School', based, I suspect, on the infamous Delphian School of Sheridan, Oregon.

Now, I am a former long time scientologist who has seen first hand the harm that Scientology does to people and families. Especially the harm done to children. One only has to read the stories of other attendees of this school program, as well as the many exscientology kids testimonies on the internet, to understand.

This is, perhaps, the first book ever written about the life of a teenager entering the dark world of Scientology unawares. The fact that it is fictionalized is due to several factors:

1), who wants to be sued by Scientology? lol!

And 2) it gives the author option to allow the teen to take liberties with his experiences and imagination to arrive at his own form of retribution.

You follow the main character, Leif, through his efforts to make sense of and rise above the insanity and indoctrination while others succumb to one degree or another. In reading this, it reminded me of a magnified version of The Stepford Wives for teens. This is a good thing because the importances of a 14 year old are always magnified. It's the nature of the beast of puberty.

This is a must read book for readers of all ages but a word of of caution for parents that there is a small amount of profanity typical of teens and they may want to review it first. I suggest they do this anyway because it is an excellent look into the psyche of a teenager trying to make sense of and take a stand against evil influences. I am sure that this was a cathartic effort for Paul Csige and I am grateful that he has blessed us with this book. I hope many others, especially those concerned about cultic influences, make a point to read it. "

Paul is a talented artist, sound man and pianist. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1896054/

I am surprised we didn't hear more about him or his book in the ex scientology circles.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I am surprised we didn't hear more about him or his book in the ex scientology circles.

I agree, Mary. His book was a true page-turner. I was surprised not to read more about this work in other places.

I wonder if Symphony of Leif is in many libraries? :-Di6 >:D
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Scientology responds...

Make jokes about Thetans and Xenu and John Travolta's film Battlefield Earth if you have to. But don't expect to poke fun at L. Ron Hubbard's legacy without getting an almighty roasting from the Church of Scientology's PR department.

The church has accused an author who tried to lift the lid on a US$42,000-a-year ($55,000) boarding school it runs in rural Oregon of making false claims about the institution and its teaching methods.

Benjamin Carlson's two-part series on the 250-student Delphian School, which was founded in the 1970s, made headlines last week when it described the school's curriculum designed around "Study Technology", a controversial teaching method designed by Hubbard in the 1960s.

The articles in the Daily alleged about half the students were Scientologists, and the school's structure, language and ethics all reflected the science fiction writer's religion....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/religion-and-beliefs/news/article.cfm?c_id=301&objectid=10757286
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Scientology responds...

The church has accused an author who tried to lift the lid on a US$42,000-a-year ($55,000) boarding school it runs in rural Oregon of making false claims about the institution and its teaching methods.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/religion-and-beliefs/news/article.cfm?c_id=301&objectid=10757286

Is not the book billed as "fiction"?  Can you be judged as making false claims when you've written a book that is a fictionalized account?  Does it hit a little too close to home, scientology?

I suppose because the scientologists read Hubbard's fictional scientology writings and believe them, they think all fictionalized accounts are to be believed, completely. 

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
The author of the book is not the author of the article. The church is accusing the author of the article, Ben Carlson.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline DeathHamster

• Actual Trouble Source
Corporate info:
Category:Delphian School
Delphi Schools, Inc
dba "Estates Services"
dba Delphi Curriculum
dba Delphi Educational Services
dba Delphi Funding
dba Delphi Schools Program
dba Heron Books
dba Heron Curriculum
dba International Institute of Education
dba Northwest Research
dba Phocis, Inc.
dba The Delphian School

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
I suspect the real owners of the name might be a tad upset if they knew Delphi was "borrowing" their name as a DBA:

Founded in 1919, the Institute of International Education® (IIE) is a private not-for-profit leader in the international exchange of people and ideas. In collaboration with governments, foundations and other sponsors, IIE creates programs of study and training for students, educators and professionals from all sectors. These programs include the flagship Fulbright Program and Gilman Scholarships administered for the U.S. Department of State. IIE also conducts policy research, provides resources on international exchange opportunities and offers support to scholars in danger.

That ® symbol after 'Education' means it's a registered trademark. Considering how much fuss Cof$ makes about their trademarks, they don't seem to care much about anyone elses.  There's also this:

© 2015 Institute of International Education, Inc. All rights reserved. INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION, IIE and OPENING MINDS TO THE WORLD are trademarks or registered trademarks of Institute of International Education, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
BigBeard

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Hope someone will notify them, BigBeard  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 20:45 by Mary_McConnell »

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
I'm going to try and fit it in. But between grandkid's graduations, and half dozen weddings, it's gonna be a busy week.
BigBeard