Author Topic: The Desmond Family v. Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International, et al  (Read 159760 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Be interesting to see if NN GA/NN INT lawyers screw up and open up the insurance fraud can of worms during their cross examination of Mary Morton.

:-D^\^\
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I've received this Official Statement for posting here at Reaching for the Tipping Point:

The Desmond v. Narconon of Georgia & Narconon International lawsuit has been settled to the satisfaction of the parties.

Thank you.

David S. Bills
Attorney for the Desmond Family
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
I've received this Official Statement for posting here at Reaching for the Tipping Point:

The Desmond v. Narconon of Georgia & Narconon International lawsuit has been settled to the satisfaction of the parties.

Thank you.

David S. Bills

OMG!
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Watcher2

• On the path to knowledge
OMG!

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
 :o
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target

Thank you.

David S. Bills

I personally am happy about this. This was always a civil case. Through that venue,I believe justice was served. Narconon International knew full well that going before a jury would be financial suicide.

Couple this with the RICO allegations,it would have been complete madness to let a jury decide if in fact this was the case.

Better to make a financial offer of just millions of dollars as opposed to being at the mercy of a judgement leveled at them if in fact the jury found them culpable. That jury could have awarded the plaintiffs 30,40,50 million dollars or more.

A settlement in this matter is a victory for the Desmonds and its legal team. Narconon International bowed to the weight of the evidence against them.

This is a win of massive importance and should be taken as such. Hopefully the Desmond family will gain some comfort within all this. They stayed the course. They forced NNInt,s hand. The truth about N of GA and NNInt is now known to all.

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
I am very happy for the Desmonds.  This is big news.
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Scientology’s Atlanta Drug Rehab Buys Its Way Out of Courtroom Nightmare
http://tonyortega.org/2013/02/08/scientology-buys-its-way-out-of-courtroom-nightmare-in-drug-rehab-death/

Tony Ortega asked Lucas Catton and I about our thoughts on the settlement. You can read them in the article.

We asked for some thoughts from Mary McConnell, one of the Tipping Point researchers, who has kept a close on this case for a long time. She sent us this statement:

Despite knowing throughout this case that a settlement was possible at any time, that Narconon of Georgia was asset-poor, and that Narconon International was ill prepared for the trial and in such a damning position, I was still shocked to find out it was settled.

I guess I wanted to see this case go as far as it could without a settlement happening, but I had to consider the Desmond Family and all they have been put through. So it’s a good thing for the Desmonds, who, after all, put themselves on the line here to carry this case to where it ended. The nightmare is over for them.

In retrospect, this case certainly went far and exceeded my original expectations. The damaging documents and deposition testimonies that came out of this case will be referred to in other cases and exist on the Internet for many years to come. The criminal issues are still pending and I do see charges being filed very soon. On top of that, the facility has lost its license and hopefully they will lose their appeal.

Both Narconons are paying for what they did. And will continue to pay in more ways than financial. I can’t imagine the settlement being a small amount of money, either. Narconon International must have felt they were caught between a rock and a hard place as the trial date approached. Narconon International probably feared having to go bankrupt because of this case and rightly so. It was never a matter of them winning in this case. Only how bad the outcome. We got most of the information and more documents are forthcoming from the court. The civil damage is done and settled and now it’s on to the criminal complaints.

I also posted a comment there which I will post here now:

Tony, thank you for all you have done to raise awareness of this case and the efforts of the members of Reaching For The Tipping Point forum in helping to bring justice to the victims of Narconon.

I also wish to thank the excellent legal teams of HARRIS PENN LOWRY DELCAMPO, LLP. and Franklin Law, LLC for working so hard and really understanding the beast they went up against in this case.

In particular, much gratitude and thanks to attorneys JEFFREY R HARRIS, REBECCA C.FRANKLIN, JED D MANTON, DARREN W PENN, DAVID S BILLS, STEVEN G LOWRY, J ANTONIO DELCAMPO, PAUL W PAINTER, STEPHEN HASNER and their support personnel.

Mary McConnell
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Amen.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Robert F. Kennedy:

"Give me a place to stand," said Archimedes, "and I will move the world." These men moved the world, and so can we all. Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation. Thousands of Peace Corps volunteers are making a difference in isolated villages and city slums in dozens of countries. Thousands of unknown men and women in Europe resisted the occupation of the Nazis and many died, but all added to the ultimate strength and freedom of their countries. It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Thank you.

Thank you. Bobby Kennedy was certainly one my heroes; his words stand the test of time.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Thank you.

David S. Bills

I personally am happy about this. This was always a civil case. Through that venue,I believe justice was served. Narconon International knew full well that going before a jury would be financial suicide.

Couple this with the RICO allegations,it would have been complete madness to let a jury decide if in fact this was the case.

Better to make a financial offer of just millions of dollars as opposed to being at the mercy of a judgement leveled at them if in fact the jury found them culpable. That jury could have awarded the plaintiffs 30,40,50 million dollars or more.

A settlement in this matter is a victory for the Desmonds and its legal team. Narconon International bowed to the weight of the evidence against them.

This is a win of massive importance and should be taken as such. Hopefully the Desmond family will gain some comfort within all this. They stayed the course. They forced NNInt,s hand. The truth about N of GA and NNInt is now known to all.

Excellent comment, ST. Could not have said it better. Thank you for all you have done to help make this happen.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Tony O updated his article to explain some things about the case. Good stuff!
So, do keep an eye out for updates on that article, as he may be getting comments from the legal team or parties involved.

http://tonyortega.org/2013/02/08/scientology-buys-its-way-out-of-courtroom-nightmare-in-drug-rehab-death/

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Good for the Desmond's! On to the criminal insurance fraud case and getting NN GA's doors pad-locked by DCH.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:06 by BigBeard »
BigBeard

• High Value Target
I would first off hope that you all have read Tony Ortega,s write up last night. His synopsis on the issue was well laid out in my opinion.

Now I will give all of you my take on the matter.VICTORY, Yes victory of a sort was had by the Desmond family and the citizens of the state of Georgia yesterday. Let me try to explain. All along,this was a CIVIL case. Within the context of this being a civil case and defendants NARCONON of GEORGIA and NARCONON INTERNATIONAL possibly being found culpable in the death of Patrick W. Desmsonds, his life would have to have been monetized as this is the way our system of law operates within a civil case.

How does one monetize the life of a young man? How does one monetize the pain and emotional suffering the Desmond family went through over the last 4 years and 8 months? Yet the Desmond family held fast. They would not yield until justice was served for their son Patrick and I might add for the citizens of georgia and others states dealing with NARCONON legal issues. I applaud this family for going the distance. I applaud this family for pointing out an evil most foul!

Months ago judge Hydrick of the Dekalb County courts placed upon NARCONON of GEORGIA sanctions that impeded their legal team from launching ANY form of legal defense for their client. The discovery and deposition phase of this trial were the catalyst for those sanctions deemed fit by Judge Hydrick.

NARCONON INTERNATIONAL understood what those sanction meant hence its desire to be severed from the NARCONON of GEORGIA case and be granted a trial of its own. The Judge denied that request this week at the pre-trial hearing. It is of my opinion that while watching the lawyers for NARCONON INTERNATIONAL in their presenting motions for a continuance and a separate trial NARCONON INTERNATIONAL placed all their chips on that legal line of argument. Well, it did not go as planned for NARCONON INTERNATIONAL. The judge denied those motions!

Though I have absolutely no legal experience whatsoever it did not take this poster to see what was going on at this pre-trial hearing that transpired earlier the week. NARCONON INTERNATIONAL and NARCONON of GEORGIA are inextricably tied to each other. As NARCONON of GEORGIA could not launch any form of legal defense during the trial, the plaintiffs legal team could present its witnesses and evidence basically unchallenged. The cornerstone of some of the plaintiffs legal case being the damning depositions given under OATH during the discovery process. During this pre-trial hearing I could not believe how unprepared NARCONON INTERNATIONAL was as the case was going to trial on monday the 11th of February!

A high ranking scientology OT lying under oath,narconon employee,s apparently lied under oath. Documents were hidden from the plaintiffs legal team. Wire fraud,mail fraud,ETC. State Department of Georgia Community Health found multiple and illegal NARCONON of GEORGIA operational violations.

Now NARCONON INTERNATIONAL in my opinion since they were going to trial monday had very few options available to them from a legal standing. Would they take the chance and have this case go before a 12 person jury and run the risk of being found culpable here and have that jury hand down a monetary judgement that would harm its operations or would they make an attempt to settle? Either way NARCONON INTERNATIONAL was going to pay and pay dearly.

Now it appears NARCONON INTERNATIONAL took the easy way out, that being settling with the Desmond family. NARCONON INTERNATIONAL lost on a massive scale. Now any legal entity whom may possibly be exploring litigation against NARCONON INTERNATIONAL has a road map to follow if they so choose. An inside look at a less than ethical business .

Now I have noticed many a poster being in shock over the settling of this case. I do not see it that way. We were dealing with a "Civil case" here. Had this been a "Criminal case" I could understand the shock and angst. I would tell those that lean it that direction to take comfort that justice was done here. The Desmond family in some fashion has been made whole though nothing can replace the loss of a son. Without this families efforts we would never have had access to the inside operations on NARCONON and the horrors wrought by those in its employ. This family has my deepest respect.

The legal team helmed by Mr. Harris and company took this case all the way. Their professionalism in presenting the facts and evidence were what one would except from a team of this caliber. So in summation I feel with this 11th hour settlement NARCONON INTERNATIONAL proved to this poster their guilt .

This is a wonderful win my friends. A wonderful win indeed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 14:24 by SocialTransparency »

Offline who me?

• Joker and Degrader
I would first off hope that you all have read Tony Ortega,s write up last night. His synapses on the issue was well laid out in my opinion.

Typo or clever? ;D

The Desmond family has been through so much, and have turned their pain into positive action that should protect others from what Narconon did to their son. They and their attorneys did not allow Narconon to evade justice and have provided help (court documents) to other efforts to expose the wrong doing by Narconon. Wishing them all the best.

• High Value Target
I would first off hope that you all have read Tony Ortega,s write up last night. His synapses on the issue was well laid out in my opinion.

Typo or clever? ;D

The Desmond family has been through so much, and have turned their pain into positive action that should protect others from what Narconon did to their son. They and their attorneys did not allow Narconon to evade justice and have provided help (court documents) to other efforts to expose the wrong doing by Narconon. Wishing them all the best.

(:E) Thank you for pointing that out. Writing is no one of my stronger points. 3((:

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
My most sincere condolences go out to the Desmond family for the loss of their son.  This day must be very bittersweet for them. 

My congratulations go out to the attorneys representing the Desmonds.  Your hard work and dedication in uncovering this injustice has paved the way for many more injustices to be resolved.

To the members of TP that have given so selflessly to exposing this situation, my admiration and respect for you gets bigger every day.  Thank you for all that you do.

To the families and victims who need still need help, we are here for you.  The truth is just a mouse click away.

"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
It might also be worth noting that being part of the NN GA settlement NN Int has forever linked themselves to all NN's that fall under the 1993 Closing Agreement Group Exemption Letter that were assigned a Group Exemption Number (GEN) of 2595.

I believe this will have repercussions in other lawsuits involving other NN's that fall under GEN 2959.

BigBeard

Offline DisconnectedTwin

• On the path to knowledge
After the shock has worn off, I realize this was the best I could hope for! I was really excited the trial was about to begin but this family has been through enough.

I wish the Desmond family peace!

I will not forget Patrick.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Thank you, DisconnectedTwin!