Author Topic: The Desmond Family v. Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International, et al  (Read 188386 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
After the shock has worn off, I realize this was the best I could hope for! I was really excited the trial was about to begin but this family has been through enough.

I wish the Desmond family peace!

I will not forget Patrick.

I think most of us feel this way. Thanks!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
UPDATE

Today, the ever persistent Pete Combs, of WSB-Radio in Atlanta, provides a very good article that includes a statement from Desmond attorney, Jeff Harris: 

[..] Terms of the settlement between Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International and the family of Patrick Desmond were not disclosed in a statement from the Desmonds' attorney, Jeff Harris:

"On Friday, February 8, 2013, Desmond v. Narconon of Georgia / Narconon International was settled to the mutual satisfaction of both parties.  However, our investigation into claims of insurance fraud, illegal housing  operations and other potentially illegal activities committed by Narconon of Georgia is ongoing. Our firm represents a number of potential claimants who want to see the state revoke Narconon of Georgia's license and shut them down permanently. As long as Narconon of Georgia continues to operate, we will continue to vigorously investigate and bring additional claims." [..]
Read on for more:
http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/local/narconon-family-reach-settlement/nWLZb/
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
To the Desmond Family and their Legal Team:

Congratulations to you all on a case well-played!  Narconon didn't even have a chance with all of you on the opposing team. 

I am happy that the Desmonds can now put this nightmare behind them.  I appreciate the persistence it took on everyone's part, including that of the Desmonds while in a great deal of pain, in bringing this to a close, and leaving a record that can be referred to for years to come, until Narconon is finally completely defeated.  I know it was extremely frustrating at times, for all involved, but well worth it in the end.

I'm excited to hear that there are still more investigations in the pipeline, and that Narconon isn't able to slither away completely. It's been a wild ride so far, and I look forward to the ride into the future.

Thank you all!
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
 ||||||||\\\\\\\:D

"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
And maybe, just maybe, the IRS might start looking at the claim by NN Int's attorney in the AJC story that there's absolutely no connection between NN Int and NN GA. Seems like a strange thing to be claiming since NN GA uses Group Exemption Number (GEN) 2595 on all their IRS Form 990's. GEN 2595 being the number assigned to the Group Exemption Letter given to NN Int to cover it, and all NN's subordinate to NN Int.

If, as NN Int's attorneys are claiming, NN GA's not subordinate to NN Int, then what are they doing using GEN 2595 on their Form 990's??? Either the attorney's are not completely informed, or there's some major Federal tax fraud going on. I wonder which it could be??
BigBeard

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Depends on who they are talking to at the moment.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Nice comment, ethercat!! And thank you for all your many efforts here at Reaching For The Tipping Point to help bring Patrick Desmond's negligent death at the hands of Narconon of Georgia to the forefront, thereby helping bring justice for the Desmond Family. These past few years have been a real adventure, working with you, SocialTransparency and mefree but none of it would have been possible without your hard work, dedication, persistence and this forum.

Onward to the next targets, lol!

((HUGGS))

Mary

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 23:17 by Mary_McConnell »

Offline mefree

• High Value Target

Nice comment, ethercat!! And thank you for all your many efforts here at Reaching For The Tipping Point to help bring Patrick Desmond's negligent death at the hands of Narconon of Georgia to the forefront, thereby helping bring justice for the Desmond Family. These past few years have been a real adventure, working with you, SocialTransparency and mefree but none of it would have been possible without your hard work, dedication, persistence and this forum.

((HUGGS))

Mary

Thanks for all that you do, Mary!

\*/
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Thanks for all that you do, Mary!

\*/

oOoToOo5

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
By the way I would like to thank everyone here for the work they do.  I don't post much but I check the forum often. I appreciate the work that goes into both the forum and fighting to make things right for those who turn to rehabs to improve their lives.
  :-thanks-:

Thank you, Watcher.  I may not always respond, and almost never as quickly as I would like, but I always like seeing it when you do post.

Robert F. Kennedy:

"Give me a place to stand," said Archimedes, "and I will move the world." These men moved the world, and so can we all. Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation. Thousands of Peace Corps volunteers are making a difference in isolated villages and city slums in dozens of countries. Thousands of unknown men and women in Europe resisted the occupation of the Nazis and many died, but all added to the ultimate strength and freedom of their countries. It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Thank you.

Thank you, Witnessman.  I always like seeing it when you post, too.

((HUGGS))

Mary

Thank you Mary, and thank you to everyone else I didn't specifically name. 

You all make the forum what it is.  Without you all, it would just be a blog with a ranting cat.   -^#^-!

Patrick Desmond lives on in our hearts and minds.

Narconon Reviews

Offline Libby

• New Around Here
Any word on Mary Rieser?  Is there a court date set for the fraud charges?

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target

Hi Libby, and welcome to the Tipping Point. 

:w:e:l:c:o:m:e:

I have not heard anything official about the fraud charges since the news reporting on it, and the Insurance Commissioner saying he had opened an investigation.  I'm hoping that's a good sign, and that he's doing a thorough investigation that will be air tight.  If he digs deep enough, I think he will find that it runs throughout the Narconons in a similar way.  There's a thread here about what we've found, and that's just what we've found on the internet. 

Narconon Insurance Billing: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12245.0.html

I have heard somewhere that Jeff Harris has some more cases coming against NN Ga and Mary Rieser.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Libby

• New Around Here
Thank you

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Good question, Libby! Welcome and thanks for asking.

Thanks ec, for answering it.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Hi, Libby! A belated welcome to Tipping Point.

:w:e:l:c:o:m:e:

-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

By the way, Mary is one of two Narconon execs who just had their Certified Chemical Dependency Counselor Certificates (CCDC) revoked.
http://tonyortega.org/2013/03/07/narconon-ceo-gary-smith-loses-counselor-certification/#more-4711

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
FWIW, the docket for the Western World Insurance case has been archived from PACER via RECAP on the Internet Archive website:

http://ia601209.us.archive.org/32/items/gov.uscourts.gand.184409/gov.uscourts.gand.184409.docket.html