Author Topic: Thrills and Chills as Church Stages Reading of 1930′s Sci-Fi Drama - Pasadena Now  (Read 1271 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Thrills and Chills as Church Stages Reading of 1930′s Sci-Fi Drama - Pasadena Now
23 January 2012, 3:23 pm

Few realize that Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard was a prolific writer of imaginative science fiction short stories in his early career, churning out escapades of mystery and adventure for pulp magazines in the early 1930′s.

The Church of Scientology in Pasadena staged a public old-time radio-style reading of a Hubbard classic, “Battling Bolto” (“Before there was Captain Kirk, there was Bolto”….) on Jan. 14, featuring seasoned actors from the Church’s Golden Age Theater on Hollywood Blvd.

The crowd wasn’t old timers; even in this day of iPhoned teenagers and blue-toothed adults, there is something about the boundless possibilities and excitement of vintage science fiction that is alluring to all ages.

“Well I think the key word here is “imagination”,” said actor Bob Caso, who performed as, well, every character in the cast besides Battling Bolto. “The audience creates their own movie. They’re creating the pictures of the scenes in their minds and I think that harkens back to the radio days. I think it actually makes any young writer or actor out there more creative to think in those terms.”

more at http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/thrills-and-chills-as-church-stages-reading-of-1930s-sci-fi-drama
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 21:18 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I'm sure this reading was very stimulating.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama