Author Topic: Psychiatry: An Industry of Death – international touring exhibit - Citizens Commission on Human Righ  (Read 4508 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Psychiatry: An Industry of Death – international touring exhibit - Citizens Commission on Human Rights of St. Louis
28 January 2012, 10:18 am

Psychiatry: An Industry of Death – international touring exhibit

Citizens Commission on Human Rights of St. Louis

WHO: Join the psychiatric watchdog group Citizens Commission on Human Rights of St. Louis (CCHR) to open a chillingly informative exhibit, “Psychiatry: An Industry of Death.” Free to the public, it warns about the more than 100000 deaths in psychiatric ...

http://  www.  cchrstl.org/event.shtml
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 14:15 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
CCHR is on tour again with their anti-psychiatry propaganda, hate exhibit.

Psychiatry: An Industry of Death International Touring Exhibit

STATE-OF-THE-ART TOURING EXHIBIT
EXPOSING PSYCHIATRY AS AN “INDUSTRY OF DEATH”

February 2012
Grand Opening: Saturday, 11 February 2012, 2:00 PM

The Griot Museum of Black History & Culture

2505 St. Louis Ave.

St. Louis, MO 63106

314-241-7057

www.TheGriotMuseum.com

Open:

7 February to 3 March, 2012 at The Griot Museum
St. Louis, MO
Tuesday through Saturday from 10am to 7pm

Griot Museum

Directions
From Interstate 70 East:
Take the St. Louis Ave exit (#248c), then St. Louis Ave. west to 25th Street

From Interstate 70 West:
Take the Madison Street exit (#249a) to St. Louis Avenue, then West to 25th Street

From Interstate 40 East, or 44 East or West:
Take the Jefferson exit (38c off I-64/40, exit #289 off I-44) North to St. Louis Ave. then one block East to 25th Street

By Bus: #41 Lee, #4 Natural Bridge, #30 Soulard

The 185-foot, state-of-the-art exhibit, which is being shown internationally in more than 30 countries, features 15 display panels that incorporate audio-visual presentations depicting human rights abuses by psychiatry and carries statements from health professionals, academics, legal and human rights experts, and victims of psychiatric brutalities. It traces the origins of psychiatry, the role psychiatrists have played in the oppression of blacks and minorities, the roots of their eugenics programs and the pivotal part they played in the Holocaust. It also reveals how psychiatric drugs are behind the spate of school shooting sprees and how millions of federal dollars allocated to screen American schoolchildren for “mental disorders” could increase both child deaths and acts of school violence. The Food and Drug Administration has warned that psychiatric drugs prescribed to children could cause aggression, hostility, psychosis, mania, homicide, suicide and death.

Portions of the exhibit will also appear at:

• 6-7 February 2012, Missouri State Capitol Rotunda, Jefferson City, MO

• 24-26 February 2012, St. Charles Convention Center (Working Women’s Survival Show), St. Charles, MO
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 14:18 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
and in other news...

Rethinking Psychiatry 2012 Winter Film Festival
Fridays, Jan. 20 – Feb. 24th, 2012
6:30 – 9:00 PM
Eliot Center, 1101 SW 13th, Portland, Oregonl

$5 – $15 donation requested (no one turned away for lack of funds)
Complementary refreshments

The Rethinking Psychiatry Winter Film Festival will feature a series of six films, each chosen and presented by six organizations advocating for and supporting mental wellness. Presenters will include Maitripa College, FolkTime, MindFreedom International, Portland Hearing Voices, Mental Health America of Oregon, and CCHR.   Complete festival details can be seen here: 2012 Winter Film Festival.

Rethinking Psychiatry is a coalition of individuals and organizations dedicated to creating a more hopeful, humane and effective mental health care model.
CCHR Oregon Presents

Diagnostic & Statistical Manual – Psychiatry’s Deadliest Scam
Discussion led by Ron Hatteberg, CCHR Oregon Executive Director
Friday, February 3, 2012, 6:30PM
Elliot Center – Buchan Reception Hall
1101 SW 13th, Portland, Oregon

Its influence pervades all aspects of modern society: our governments, our courts, our military, our media and our schools. Using it, psychiatrists can enforce psychiatric drugging, seize your children and even take away your most precious personal freedoms. Is there any proof behind the DSM’s 374 mental “disorders”? Or is it nothing more than an elaborate pseudoscientific sham, driving a $330 billion psychiatric industry?

http://  www.  cchroregon.org/
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
CCHR is on tour again with their anti-psychiatry propaganda, hate exhibit.

The Griot Museum of Black History & Culture

What on earth does CCHR and their hate exhibit have to do with Black History and Culture?   M-|V|-M

Other than their attempts to recruit in the black community, that is?
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
and in other news...

http://www.rethinkingpsychiatry.org/rethinking-psychiatry-2012-winter-film-festival/

Looking at the films to be shown, I get the distinct feeling that "one of these things is not like the others."

___P=

Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
and in other news...

http://www.rethinkingpsychiatry.org/rethinking-psychiatry-2012-winter-film-festival/

Looking at the films to be shown, I get the distinct feeling that "one of these things is not like the others."

___P=

The CCHR film sticks out like a sore thumb, doesn't it?
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Church of Scientology's "Psychiatry: An Industry of Death" Exhibit Returns to ... - Riverfront Times (blog)
3 February 2012, 2:23 pm

Psychiatry buffs rejoice and praise Xenu! The "state-of-the-art international touring exhibit" Psychiatry: An Industry of Death, sponsored by the Citizens Commission on Human Rights is returning to Missouri for the first time since its appearance at the Jamestown Mall three years ago! You can catch it this Monday and Tuesday (February 6 and 7) in the rotunda of the state capitol in Jefferson City (?!) before it moves to the Griot Museum of Black History and Culture in the St. Louis Place neighborhood in north city.

more at http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2012/02/church_of_scientologys_psychia.php
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2007/05/scientology_and_psychiatry_even_the_hitl.php

Scientology and psychiatry: Even the Hitler Zombie wouldn't touch this one

When I learned of this, I had been highly tempted trot out everybody's favorite undead Führer for a little fun with the Church of Scientology's latest antics. Indeed, when you find out what I'm about to discuss, you'll see why it was a candidate for the loving chomp of his rotting jaws. Heck, I even started to do the whole Hitler zombie schtick that regular readers all know and some even love (or at least tolerate--well, most of you, anyway). As I typed away, though, I was having more and more trouble. My conscience was feeling more and more troubled. After all, I've lovingly crafted maybe 15 or so of his adventures over the last couple of years, sending him away for a while when I think he's overused, then bringing him back when a truly egregious example of argumentum ad Nazi-ium pops up. Through it all, though, he's almost taken on a life (or unlife) of his own, and in recent months I've tried to use him very sparingly. Given that the target I was thinking of setting him loose on this time included prominent members of the Church of Scientology, I just couldn't do it.

Really, the Hitler Zombie deserves better fare than the brains (such as they are) of Scientologists. I just couldn't subject him to such a repast...

Oddly enough, I had never heard of Scientology's infamous anti-psychiatry museum before. I almost wish I had learned of it before I visited Los Angeles last month to attend the AACR Meeting. While I was in L.A., I was even in the area of the museum, because one of my favorite places of all to visit, a place that I check out any time I'm in the L.A. area, Amoeba Music, is a mere 0.3 miles away on Sunset Blvd. Had I known of this museum, I almost certainly would have paid it a visit in order to see just how low the Church of Scientology would go in its rabidly fanatical hatred of psychiatry and anything to do with it (particularly since the price of admission is free; I certainly wouldn't pay money, particularly money that would go to the Church of Scientology, just to indulge my morbid curiosity)...

Instead, I'll point out the utter ridiculousness of some of the claims made by the exhibits in the museum, such as the claim that psychiatrists follow a long-standing "master plan" for world domination and that Hitler and the Nazis were manifestations of that plan. Indeed, Scientologists blame the Holocaust on psychiatry. They also blame psychiatry for suicide bombers, school violence, ethnic cleansing in the Balkans, and the deaths of many celebrities, such as Kurt Cobain. In fact, looking at the exhibit, it's hard to find an evil in the last 150 years that Scientology doesn't blame on psychiatry. In Scientology, psychiatry itself is given the role that is usually reserved for Satan in Christianity: That of the Evil One, the implacable Foe of the just, the enemy that all believers must resist.

Of course, the entire museum, like Scientology's standard anti-psychiatry drivel, is an obvious fallacious attack on modern psychiatry that emphasizes the very worst excesses of the profession from many decades ago and tries to equate modern psychiatry with these horrors. ...

Plenty of funny where the ellipses (...) are.
Yeah, the article is old, from 2007, but CCHR's got nothing new, so it still applies.   (OUO)
   Narconon Reviews

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Just saw this. Friday funnies.  ;D
In Scientology, psychiatry itself is given the role that is usually reserved for Satan in Christianity: That of the Evil One, the implacable Foe of the just, the enemy that all believers must resist.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I wonder how many people go to the museum just to see how hokey and camp it is (without it meant to be that way), while the scientologists think they've reached more people with their message.  Deluded.  Just another example of being out-of-touch with society.

At least they're not making any money off admissions.  Wonder where the money comes from to run the museum, though?
   Narconon Reviews

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
At least they're not making any money off admissions.  Wonder where the money comes from to run the museum, though?

Probably IAS 'donations' rerouted via ABLE.

BigBeard

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
I can't help adding one of my favorite blog articles on this subject.  I get updates when people comment - several per year since and I'm glad I do. It really is a must read. Be prepared for lots of chuckles.

Fun At The Church Of Scientology’s "Psychiatry: An Industry Of Death" Museum!
by Brian on Dec 4, 2007 • 4:03 am
http://www.catsandbeer.com/science/fun-at-the-church-of-scientologys-psychiatry-an-industry-of-death-museum
Last month, my cousin Pete came out to Los Angeles on a trip for work, and since then all he ever talks about is his visit to the Church of Scientology’s "Psychiatry: An Industry of Death" museum. Seriously, he won’t shut up about the thing.

He just sent me his photo journal chronicling the event, promising that he’d cool it if I put it online. So, here it is. Enjoy?

http://www.catsandbeer.com/science/fun-at-the-church-of-scientologys-psychiatry-an-industry-of-death-museum
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
These guys are hilarious! Thanks mefree. Handy link to have.

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
What  is truly amazing is the (thankfully small) number of folk who did not get that Brian and Pete were making fun of Scientology, and the cult's imbecilic claims about the medical professionals who try to help people with mental health issues, and not the Psychiatrists and Psychologists themselves.

That sadness aside, truly an hilarious article! 3((: Thanks for posting the link!

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Glad you both liked it :)
Yes, the message is deep :)
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
http://www.breggin.com/

I wonder what the Church feel about guys like Dr. Peter Breggin.

He is a psychiatrist who does not advocate drugging and wants nothing to do with the Church.  His wife tried Scn for 2 years and despises them...
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
They probably steal his research.  I'm glad there is some scrutiny of the mental health profession by credible people. It should improve care and they do have a ways to go.

Maybe you all have seen this TED talk already, but it's an entertaining introduction to some of the ways research gets validated and also on what some of the real issues are.

Ben Goldacre: Battling bad science
http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_battling_bad_science.html

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
VICE.COM pays a visit to "Psychiatry: An Industry of Death" Exhibition

Over on WWP, there is a thread about a very good recent article:

Scientologists Really, Really Hate Psychiatrists
By Glen Coco  Jan 9, 2013

"Psychiatry: An Industry of Death" is a multi-million dollar museum and visitor center that the Citizens Commission on Human Rights set up in Los Angeles. CCHR is an organization cofounded by the Church of Scientology. The descision to keep their name out of CCHR's title makes it less likely people will say "lol, shut up, Scientology" when they visit the museum.

When you enter the building signs instruct you not to take photos, and they take your bag away, so this post is gonna be picture-less. My original plan was to go in with a hidden camera and take covert photos, but I was told by our legal people that this would lead to the Church of Scientology literally suing me to death. Soz. But, if you're interested, the museum looks like this inside.

Anyway, below are some things I learned about psychiatrists and psychologists at the museum that I totally didn't realize before. Prepare to have your EYES OPENED.

Read on for more. The comments are terrific
http://www.vice.com/read/scientologists-really-really-hate-psychiatrists

ref:
https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/vice-com-pays-a-visit-to-psychiatry-an-industry-of-death-exhibition.107996/