Author Topic: DCH investigation of Narconon of Georgia and its own internal investigation.  (Read 55561 times)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
I just listened to what WSB Radio's Pete Combs said on the 4pm news... a copy and article will be out soon but from what I heard just reported, a deal was made with Gwinnett Co District Attorney that NNGA close in exchange for not prosecuting them on insurance fraud.. NNGA can reapply in a year for it's license. The DA is still investigating.. Not clear what is up with all this. Let's see what Pete has to say.

Meantime.. questions and comments etc should be directed to Gwinnett Co GA District Attorney Danny Porter
Danny.Porter@gwinnettcounty.com
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Scientology Drug Rehab Shut Down in Georgia, Ordered to Turn Over Records in Oklahoma

By Tony Ortega

Narconon_raidScientology’s drug rehab center in the Atlanta area, Narconon Georgia, has cut a deal with county and state officials, and in return for shutting down an operation that was already on life support, the facility escapes prosecution on credit card fraud and insurance fraud that was said to be in the millions of dollars.

But Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter tells us that doesn’t mean he’s given up on prosecuting individuals.

“Our investigation is ongoing. If we find individuals were engaged in criminal conduct, we will prosecute them,” he told us today by telephone.

In the spring, records turned up by the Atlanta media showed what appeared to be a clear case of intentional insurance fraud of nearly $3 million — and that was before local and state law enforcement officials raided the facility in April, seizing thousands of pages of evidence and a rental truck full of computer equipment.

There’s also big Narconon news coming out of Oklahoma today: Jeanne LeFlore of the McAlester News-Capital is reporting that Pittsburg County Associate District Judge James Bland has ordered Scientology’s flagship drug rehab facility, Narconon Arrowhead, to turn over evidence of employee use of illegal drugs and alcohol for the years 2004 to 2010 in the lawsuit brought by the family of a Narconon patient who is in a vegetative state after a 2008 drug overdose, Heather Landmeier.

But first, we have more detail from Georgia, thanks to our colleague Pete Combs at WSB Radio. Pete sent over a statement put out today by Narconon Georgia’s attorney, Brian McEvoy…

Narconon Georgia and Gwinett County DA reach agreement

Narconon Georgia is pleased to have reached a Non-Prosecution Agreement with Gwinnett County District Attorney and the Georgia Insurance Commissioner.

The agreement notes that Narconon Georgia conducted a thorough internal investigation regarding alleged, inadvertent over-billing, that Narconon Georgia promptly and thoroughly reported its findings to the State, and that Narconon Georgia cooperated in the State’s investigation of this matter. The State has agreed not to prosecute for any alleged offense or violation under any statute or administrative regulation of the State of Georgia, and Narconon Georgia has agreed to comply with all of its obligations contained in the Agreement.

As a public service, Narconon Georgia will continue and extend its effective community outreach programs in Georgia for at least six months. These same Narconon programs have reached tens of thousands of students and adults in 50 nations worldwide. The Narconon drug education program has been shown to be an effective deterrent to adolescent drug abuse.

Founded in 1966 by an Arizona State Prison inmate, Narconon has continued to expand serving addicts and their families in __ centers in 50 countries.

For more information contact Narconon International at: or visit the website: www.narconon.org

-Brian F. McEvoy

Counsel for Narconon Georgia

When we talked to District Attorney Danny Porter, we told him we didn’t realize he could have charged the business of Narconon Georgia itself.

Gwinnett County D.A. Danny Porter

Gwinnett County D.A. Danny Porter
“Under Georgia law, you can charge a corporation,” he told us. “I have agreed not to prosecute Narconon Georgia as a corporation. I have not agreed not to prosecute individuals.

“In a sense, it puts them out of business, but it doesn’t really change the way we’re proceeding with our investigation,” he says.

Luke Catton said he was still surprised to hear about the deal in Georgia. Catton at one time was president of Scientology’s flagship drug rehab center in eastern Oklahoma, Narconon Arrowhead. He lives in the Atlanta area and has been following developments closely at both the Oklahoma and Georgia facilities, which have each experienced patient deaths and are facing civil lawsuits over accusations of fraud.

Catton tells us that Narconon Georgia had been running on fumes since the raid. “They haven’t had any students there in months. It’s just been a skeleton crew going through files and folders,” he said.

“In their statement, they’re still trying to make it sound like there’s no wrongdoing. I think they’ll try to reopen under a new license, which they can do in a year,” he says. “I don’t think this makes them go away forever. I think this is PR.”

http://tonyortega.org/2013/09/25/narconon-smacked-scientology-drug-rehab-shut-down-in-georgia-has-court-loss-in-oklahoma/
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
Surely I am not the only one thinking this feels slimy? They make a deal to not prosecute the corporation but say the investigation is still open that may (or may not) lead to prosecuting the individuals.

Psssfft. Whatever happened to making a deal with the individuals to turn state's evidence on the corporation that told them to do it?

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Surely I am not the only one thinking this feels slimy? They make a deal to not prosecute the corporation but say the investigation is still open that may (or may not) lead to prosecuting the individuals.

Psssfft. Whatever happened to making a deal with the individuals to turn state's evidence on the corporation that told them to do it?

They can re-apply in a year for a license and Danny Porter and crew have actually required them to do community service for 6 months which basically boils down to being allowed to promote their junk-science approach to drug prevention. Am I missing something????
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
Am I missing something????

Maybe. Is there perhaps another side to this related to civil cases for insurance fraud not being impacted? Which maybe means the families can still go after the corporation, and the insurance companies can fight to be left out, even though the prosecutor took a chicken shit deal to leave them off the hook on criminal charges.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
The insurance companies should still be able to go after them, but I'm wondering how this decision may impact. 
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Narconon of Georgia Non-Prosecution Agreement
This is a ridiculous agreement between the Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter and Narconon of Georgia.     
http://narcononreviews.net/narconon/465/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 18:16 by Mary_McConnell »

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
Un-fking-believable.

Are the county DA's elected or appointed in GA?

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Un-fking-believable.

Are the county DA's elected or appointed in GA?

Elected!
District Attorney:
Danny Porter
Danny.Porter@gwinnettcounty.com

Danny's career with the Gwinnett County District Attorney's office began in September 1981, immediately upon graduation from the University of Georgia School of Law. He served as a Trial Assistant for three years and was then promoted to Senior Assistant District Attorney. Subsequently, he was assigned as head of the Trial Division of the D.A. office supervising trial attorneys. Danny also assumed the additional duties of the Drug Prosecutor and began the organization of a special drug prosecution unit. Danny was elected District Attorney of Gwinnett County in November 1992.

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gwinnett/Departments/DistrictAttorney

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Incumbent DA for many, many years. Usually runs uncontested.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Narconon of Georgia surrenders license, avoids prosecution - AJC
By Christian Boone
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A controversial Norcross drug treatment facility with ties to the Church of Scientology will avoid any potential criminal charges after surrendering its license to the state.

But the investigation into allegations of insurance fraud by those running the facility isn’t over, Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said.

“Narconon as a corporate entity has been relieved of criminal liability but no individual is,” Porter said Wednesday. “Certainly we’ve discovered discrepancies between what was billed and what was provided. The key now is to identify those individuals who were submitting the claims.”

more at http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/narconon-of-georgia-surrenders-license-avoids-pros/nZ7Sw/

Comments are open
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Narconon of Georgia’s license was already revoked and they were desperately trying to save it ( despite the solid evidence against them on all their violations ) by appealing it with the state OAH. They had an upcoming Administrative hearing scheduled for the 30th, which this all cancelled. There was a very good chance they would have lost the appeal and be forced to close anyway. Why was the Gwinnett County DA making deals for the state licensing regulatory agency that result in less than what they would have gotten at the administrative Hearing? They now get to reapply for a license after 1 year. They now get to spread all their dangerous program propaganda about drugs in the community for 6 months.

There will be more on this tomorrow, including an interview with Mr. Porter. Til then…

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Narconon of Georgia’s license was already revoked and they were desperately trying to save it ( despite the solid evidence against them on all their violations ) by appealing it with the state OAH. They had an upcoming Administrative hearing scheduled for the 30th, which this all cancelled. There was a very good chance they would have lost the appeal and be forced to close anyway. Why was the Gwinnett County DA making deals for the state licensing regulatory agency that result in less than what they would have gotten at the administrative Hearing? They now get to reapply for a license after 1 year. They now get to spread all their dangerous program propaganda about drugs in the community for 6 months.

There will be more on this tomorrow, including an interview with Mr. Porter. Til then…]Narconon of Georgia’s license was already revoked and they were desperately trying to save it ( despite the solid evidence against them on all their violations ) by appealing it with the state OAH. They had an upcoming Administrative hearing scheduled for the 30th, which this all cancelled. There was a very good chance they would have lost the appeal and be forced to close anyway. Why was the Gwinnett County DA making deals for the state licensing regulatory agency that result in less than what they would have gotten at the administrative Hearing? They now get to reapply for a license after 1 year. They now get to spread all their dangerous program propaganda about drugs in the community for 6 months.

There will be more on this tomorrow, including an interview with Mr. Porter. Til then…

Purple Rain on ESMB replies

Yes, I was wondering about that. It seems to me more sucky to prosecute the individuals when they were pressured to do it as part of the organisational modus operandi while the corporation itself - of whom to some degree the staff are also victims - gets off scot free. What the hell is with that? 

My comment:

Exactly!

It could have gone something like this but Narconon of Georgia is broke...

JPMorgan in talks to settle government cases for $11 billion, source says  Washington Post

JPMorgan Chase is in talks to pay state and federal authorities $11 billion to resolve investigations into its sale of shoddy mortgage securities during the financial crisis, a person familiar with the talks said Wednesday.

If the bank were to agree to such a settlement, it would represent a tremendous win for the government after years of public criticism over its struggle to hold Wall Street accountable for its crisis-era misdeeds....]JPMorgan Chase is in talks to pay state and federal authorities $11 billion to resolve investigations into its sale of shoddy mortgage securities during the financial crisis, a person familiar with the talks said Wednesday.

If the bank were to agree to such a settlement, it would represent a tremendous win for the government after years of public criticism over its struggle to hold Wall Street accountable for its crisis-era misdeeds....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/jpmorgan-in-talks-to-settle-government-case-for-11-billion/2013/09/25/55750f7e-1efe-11e3-94a2-6c66b668ea55_story.html

3 states are currently investigating different Narconon and related facilities for insurance and credit card fraud. My hope is that soon there will be a federal RICO case because of the pattern of organized crime used by each on the insurance and credit card fraud scams. Perhaps the federal government will step in and sue the big kahuna's Narconon Int, ABLE Int and RTC. That's where the corporate accountability will come into play.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?33273-Scientology-Drug-Rehab-Shut-Down-in-Georgia-Ordered-to-Turn-Over-Records-in-Oklahoma&p=851731#post851731

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Ruh-roh!

Shut-Down Scientology Drug Rehab Claiming It’s Full, Says Mother of Insurance Fraud Victim - The Underground Bunker
By Tony Ortega

Pete Combs of WSB Radio comes through again. Yesterday, we were both reporting that Scientology’s drug rehab program in the Atlanta area, Narconon Georgia, has worked out a deal with county and state officials which allows the facility to surrender its state license and in return is spared criminal prosecution for credit card or insurance fraud. One person Pete talked to was Mary Morton, whose complaints about the center sparked the criminal investigation to begin with.

Morton told Pete (and we have the audio, below) that when she called Narconon Georgia this week, she was told by executive director Jeannie Trahant that the facility was not taking new patients — not because it was closed, but because it was too full. Combs says he took those statements to Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter who admitted that it sounded like Narconon was violating the spirit of the agreement, and if he found they continued to spread those kinds of lies, it could jeopardize the agreement itself.

more at http://tonyortega.org/2013/09/26/shut-down-scientology-drug-rehab-claiming-its-full-says-mother-of-insurance-fraud-victim/
-Dalai Lama

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
From the latest Ortega report
When Combs asked Porter about what Mary Morton says she was told by Trahant about Narconon Georgia being full, the district attorney said, “It tells me that they may be in violation of at least the spirit of the agreement.”

He acknowledged that there may be some transition period to deal with as the facility closes down. But Trahant should not be misleading the public. “That’s something I would have to discuss with their attorneys,” he told the radio reporter. “I wanted to put them out of business as fast as I could.”

Well gee Mr. DA, it seems like you may have rushed to get that lame 3page non-prosecution agreement signed.

Why is there no specific conditions for immediate closure defined?

Why is there no mention of a transition period?

And since nothing stopped them from pimping their outpatient-only facility in other states as an inpatient program, what will stop them from continuing to pimp their program outside of GA?

And which governing body will be responsible for ensuring they really do shut down?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
There has been some discussion that NNGA can re-apply for their license after a year >:(, but I have a strong feeling they won't. NN is under attack on so many fronts now - Admiral Sciuridae  JO:=< seems to be proceeding masterfully with the final dissolution of organized Scientology ;), hopefully at least some of the NN Credit Card fraudsters in Georgia and other states will by then be  ||||o|||| serving sentences! Add these things to the enormous amount of bad publicity generated by their crimes ||||9000||||, and I think I can be forgiven if my hope levels have recently experienced a positive spike! \oO--Oo/

At the very least this will be one year when Narconon of Georgia will not be disseminating the teachings, nor recruiting new souls for Scientology. That's pretty cool! :){}{}{}

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
....... something wicked this way comes. >:D

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
At the very least this will be one year when Narconon of Georgia will not be disseminating the teachings, nor recruiting new souls for Scientology.

wynot, according to the agreement they are required to disseminate their scientology drug education to adults in Fulton County for 6 months.  They will probably be promoting the other Narconons, as they tried to do with Mary Morton, and will probably make a 10% commission if the person goes.  I just hope any people they try to promote to will have heard all the news stories, and say "do not want."

To make it worse, they will probably spin it as " {deleted as to avoid giving them ideas}."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 18:19 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target

Hey, ST, I was wondering when/if you'd show up for this discussion.  I hope you know something no one else is talking about.   ;)

Good to see ya again.    :OV--*
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Miss you much...