Author Topic: Is this part of why it's so hard to get anything changed in California?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ellen DeShazer a board member of Scientology?

http://www.prweb.com/releases/ChurchofScientology/WaytoHappiness/prweb10948770.htm
Service was also the theme of the presentation by Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ellen DeShazer. Judge DeShazer presides over a drug court that diverts individuals charged with nonviolent drug offenses and chronic substance abuse issues out of the local jail and state prison systems and into treatment. “Every day, you should be doing the hard work of changing your neighbor. Start with him and then move on and out,” she said.

Church of Scientology National Affairs Office Hosts Mandela Day Tribute
Mandela great-nephew video conferences from South Africa to speak to community leaders observing Mandela Day in Washington, D.C.

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail a friend

Prince Unathi Mtirara, great-nephew of Nelson Mandela, video conferences with attendees at the Mandela Day Celebration July 18 at the Church of Scientology National Affairs Office in Washington, D.C.
We’re asking for your service. And I am proud of what you have already done.

Washington, D.C. (PRWEB) July 20, 2013

Diplomats, leaders and community activists gathered at the Church of Scientology National Affairs Office July 18 in observance of United Nations Nelson Mandela International Day for Freedom Justice and Democracy. Service to others was the keynote of the day.

Attendees participated in a video conference with Prince Unathi Mtirara, great-nephew of Nelson Mandela, CEO of Opera South Africa and board member of Nelson Mandela Library. Emphasizing that service is Mandela’s hallmark, Prince Unathi encouraged those assembled to continue and to increase their work to help their communities, saying “We’re asking for your service. And I am proud of what you have already done.”   

Service was also the theme of the presentation by Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ellen DeShazer. Judge DeShazer presides over a drug court that diverts individuals charged with nonviolent drug offenses and chronic substance abuse issues out of the local jail and state prison systems and into treatment. “Every day, you should be doing the hard work of changing your neighbor. Start with him and then move on and out,” she said.

The event crowned a day of activities organized by The Way to Happiness Foundation Washington D.C. Chapter that included a community cleanup at Rose Park and Rock Creek Park, removing bottles, cans, trash and painting over graffiti.

The Way to Happiness, written by author and humanitarian L. Ron Hubbard, is a moral code based on common sense. More than 100 million copies of The Way to Happiness have been distributed in 205 countries and territories, providing a moral compass anyone can live by.

Judge DeShazer spoke of the benefit of this booklet in helping to change the lives of others for the better. “I always have copies of The Way to Happiness to give away,” she said. “It is a wonderful book that offers guidance, structure and tools to live by.”

Also featured at the evening’s tribute were humanitarian and community betterment groups including the International Child Art Foundation, Rebecca Project for Human Rights, National Action Network, and National Federation of the Blind.

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/e/ellen-deshazer.html
Ellen Deshazer   OVERCOMING UPS AND DOWNS IN LIFE COURSE   Celebrity 321   1999-10-01

Not sure where this is from, taken from the post at WWP:
"It is an honor to be asked for a second time to judge the 'Set a Good Example' contest. The children are both encouraging and refreshing. They are clearly benefiting from the principles set out in The Way to Happiness. All children in the world should have the opportunity to learn as these children have and are."

— Ellen DeShazer, Compton, California Superior Court Judge

http://www.ndcrc.org/sites/default/files/aftercare_0.pdf
American University Washington, DC
Justice Programs Office, School of Public Affairs

BUREAU OF JUSTICE ASSISTANCE (BJA) DRUG COURT CLEARINGHOUSE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FACT SHEET SERIES: The Nature and Provision of
Aftercare: Continuing Care Programs that Last Beyond Graduation
Subject: The Nature and Provision of Aftercare: Continuing Care Programs that Last Beyond
Graduation

Date: December 19, 2006

QUESTION
We received two inquiries relating to aftercare.
The first, submitted by Karen Crowley, Treatment Program Coordinator for the Vermont Department of Health, requests information regarding the nature of any continuing care programs that have been established for drug court graduates -- family drug court graduates in particular -- following their completion of the formal drug court program. Specifically, Karen has asked the following:

What are family treatment courts, as well as other adult drug courts in the country, doing with regard to continuing care? Our local team is aware that clients are struggling after graduation to maintain their treatment and recovery activities without the support of the drug court structure. One of the responses we're considering to address this problem is to create a continuing care phase.

- Specifically: Do any family treatment courts or other adult drug courts have this component?

- If so, is there information relating to "best practices" (perhaps still anecdotal rather than research based) regarding the appropriate length of the phase and particular important aspects that should be included?

- Does adding this component seem to improve long-term outcomes?

- Are teams incorporating this phase with other aftercare services--i.e., using graduates for mentors?

II. The second inquiry is from Connie Payne, state drug court manager for Kentucky:
Our state supervisors recently met to discuss Kentucky’s drug court system. We have a variety of thoughts regarding aftercare and whether it should be prior to graduation or following graduation. Historically, this decision has been left to the discretion of the local programs. However, more concerns are arising as to how to sanction program graduates who violate aftercare requirements. We would like to hear from other drug court programs as to whether graduation is conducted before or after completion of the aftercare component. If aftercare follows graduation, how and what sanctions are administered for violating aftercare requirements?

RESPONSES
CALIFORNIA
Judge Ellen Deshazer
Los Angeles County Superior Court
Compton, California
edeshazer@aol.com
We have an Aftercare program that begins in Phase III (the final phase) and last about 4 months. It is what we refer to as “lifetime” which means that a participant can always go back to the treatment program if he/she is having trouble coping with life after graduation. My treatment liaison for the drug court can provide the actual structure of the program. I am not sure if family members are included, but I think they are.

Thanks to the anons on WWP who dug this up, and to Smurf who posted about it at ESMB along with some additional info:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?28480-Office-of-Special-Affairs-created-National-Affairs-Office-GRAND-OPENING!&p=829420&viewfull=1#post829420

Edit: fixed last link so it works - if there's an ! the autolinker thinks the link stops there.  The solution is wrapping the [ url ]  [/ url ] tags around it (or highlighting it and clicking the globe).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 21:40 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Unfortunately, Scientology seems to have a knack at nurturing relationships like this. I won't speculate how they do it.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 21:16 by Mary_McConnell »
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Previous discussion of drug courts: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,11687.20.html

There are several other threads where we have discussed drug courts referring people to Narconon; I'll try to gather them into a list later, unless someone beats me to it.  (Please someone, beat me to it!)
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Good. this thread got some comments from astonished people after I posted it on Facebook.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.