Author Topic: Narconon marketing scam and its victims (was Re: Complaints about Narconon Vista Bay continue to com  (Read 4883 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
If this story is true, and I have no reason to doubt that it is based on numerous similar stories, a few things are apparent.

Deceptive methods continue to be applied by Narconon in reeling in the fresh meat. Their aggressive web presence practically guarantees that vulnerable family members with little knowledge of drug treatment options will find this referral service on an internet search of treatment providers. 

In this case, a treatment provider had previously been selected and the referral service coordinator actually talked this family member out of her first choice. The service promotes itself as an "independent" referral source. Does Desiree Romero ever refer clients to any treatment centers other than Narconon?

Most concerning is the report of no medical or nursing staff to monitor "students" in withdrawal. After seeing many similar reports, I have to conclude that drug treatment is not being properly monitored by state agencies. 

Here is the latest on Narconon Vista Bay from a very unhappy family member:

Drug Rehab Facility Watsonville, CA is NOT a REAL rehab. If you are considering drug rehab for yourself or a loved one, DO NOT fall into their trap.

I was researching the right rehab for my husband and found myself lost with where to start/go. I found an organization on the internet: www.drugrehab.net. They state that they are an independent, not for profit helpline to help find the right rehab for you.

After spending hours on the phone with Desiree Romero (supposed to be a counselor) I was talked out of a place I already had in mind and talked into Vista Bay Narcanon.

It all "sounded" great. Long term rehab until "students" are ready (from 4- 12 month). Guaranteed "take back" if relapses occur. One time fee ($ 29,000) Medical staff on premises (doctors and nurses), intense One-on-One therapy.

They also recommended the "best" intervention service:
Intervention Services & Technologies
416 E. Commercial Ave
Lowell, Indiana 46356

I was thrilled, since I felt helpless and vurnerable. The intervention worked and Phil (interventionist) from IST took my husband to Vista Bay in wastonville, CA the same day.

Than the nightmare started. I called several times and spoke with melanie from Family Liaison at Vista Bay to see how my husband was doing. They assured me he is fine, still in detox ( $ 500 a day-extra) and monitored by doctor and nurses. After 5 days I was told he needs another 2 days ( $ 3500 all together) of detox.

I was not allowed to talk to him for 2 weeks. Fourtenately my husband found a phone and called me secretly, stating that this is a cult-scientology. They have books all over from Ron.L. Hubard and the place is run by ex-addicts, the "therapy" is brainwashing and he will not stay.

I than found all kind of scam reports on Narcanon and stoped payment on the check ASAP and got the money back. If he would not have alerted me so soon-we would never seen our money again. I went the next day to get him and get him into another REAL rehab.

That day I received a call from the "ethics director" ( what a joke..) telling me that my husband will be thrown out right now since he was planning to leave the next day.

Long story short-Vista Bay is NOT a rehab-there was NO doctor nor nurse, my husband went through detox without medical attention-that is criminal and life threatening. I was lied to.

In addition scientolgy was never mentioned, in spite my request:no religion.

The website: www.drugrehab.net as well as the intervention company "Intervention Services and Technology" (Indiana) are all scientolgy run. They work together to get you into their web. We were lucky and got out in time without loosing money /health/mind.

Be aware of those people. Narcanon needs to be stopped.

found at http://www.ripoffreport.com/adult-care-facilities/narcanon-vista-bay/narcanon-vista-bay-narconon-vi-f2783.htm
more on the rehab referral service: http://www.california-rehab-referral.com/
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
In this case, a treatment provider had previously been selected and the referral service coordinator actually talked this family member out of her first choice. The service promotes itself as an "independent" referral source. Does Desiree Romero ever refer clients to any treatment centers other than Narconon?

Doubtful.  There is more information about Desiree Romero in this document from the Locatelli case: http://www.scribd.com/doc/25243560/Locatelli-Affidavit-Venue-Motion-Opposition

Most concerning is the report of no medical or nursing staff to monitor "students" in withdrawal. After seeing many similar reports, I have to conclude that drug treatment is not being properly monitored by state agencies.

That is concerning, but of similar concern is that this marketing scam exists in the first place, and is able to capture people so easily.  There is plenty of information on the web about the dangers of narconon, but most is published by concerned individuals as an unpaid sideline to their primary employment, a hobby of sorts, while narconon has a stable of internet marketeers, SEO (search engine optimization) experts, and the financial backing to pay people to do their marketing full time.  There is even a commissioned referral scam running, which pays a commission when people put up a referral website and people are referred from it to narconon or one of its other named entities through a designated 800 number.

Here is the latest on Narconon Vista Bay from a very unhappy family member:

They also recommended the "best" intervention service:
Intervention Services & Technologies
416 E. Commercial Ave
Lowell, Indiana 46356

I was thrilled, since I felt helpless and vurnerable. The intervention worked and Phil (interventionist) from IST took my husband to Vista Bay in wastonville, CA the same day.

This apparently new "intervention service" is also of great concern, since, undoubtedly, people seeking help for their loved one will feel grateful to a person who gets them to agree to get help, and they may overlook other factors which should be examined before choosing a facility.

It is also of somewhat ironic concern because there is a striking similarity between drug and alcohol "intervention" and cult exit counseling, which scientology has gone to great lengths to demonize (and understandably so, since cult exit counseling is a threat to their ability to keep new members and get more money).

Than the nightmare started. I called several times and spoke with melanie from Family Liaison at Vista Bay to see how my husband was doing. They assured me he is fine, still in detox ( $ 500 a day-extra) and monitored by doctor and nurses. After 5 days I was told he needs another 2 days ( $ 3500 all together) of detox.

I was not allowed to talk to him for 2 weeks. Fourtenately my husband found a phone and called me secretly, stating that this is a cult-scientology. They have books all over from Ron.L. Hubard and the place is run by ex-addicts, the "therapy" is brainwashing and he will not stay.

I than found all kind of scam reports on Narcanon and stoped payment on the check ASAP and got the money back. If he would not have alerted me so soon-we would never seen our money again. I went the next day to get him and get him into another REAL rehab.

It is too bad that people don't find the real information prior to finding narconon referrals and marketing - or maybe many do, the ones we don't hear about.

What kind of strategy could we undertake to try to change this?  Any creative ideas out there?

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
The rehab referral scam continues, from the Rip-off Report:
If you are looking for advice on drug and alcohol treatment centers, BEWARE OF SEEMINGLY INNOCENT WEBSITES THAT ARE NARCONON/SCIENTOLOGY FRONTS! They try to make it appear like an independent advice website, but if they sense you have any way to pay for a private rehab they will try to lure you into one of their rehabs.  They are unbelievably clever at hiding this information on their sites, they have many sites under different names and web addresses, and they are all very slick.  Their counselors will be very personable, will say things that make a lot of sense, and will have all the time in the world to talk to you about your concerns for your loved one.  They will make you feel like they completely understand your situation since they were once an addict themselves, and you will think they really want to help you.  Then they will try to sell you an expensive "intervention" or a 90 day stay in a Narconon facility.  These services are total scams.  The counselor I talked to even LIED about his connection to Narconon and scientology -- I later googled his recommended site, Rainbow Canyon Retreat, and it was owned by Narconon.  Don't take my word, google search the name of whatever expensive facility they recommend and the word scientology or narconon to see the connection.

Entire complaint at http://www.ripoffreport.com/mental-health/narconon/narconon-www-usnodrugs-com-ww-5348e.htm

More on the rehab referral scam can be found here http://www.california-rehab-referral.com/
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Intelligence

• Hill 10 Situation
Drug Rehabilitation Counselor Q and A | Vista Bay

Q: What would you say the success rate is of people staying clean and sober after leaving the drug rehab program?
A: Those who actually implement and follow the aftercare program would have no problem staying clean and sober. The problem is that most of the people do not follow up with the aftercare upon graduating the program.
=========================================================

He admits that most people do not follow up with aftercare. Then they relapse.

What is the aftercare program. I recent Grad like myself phoning grads to see how they are doing. If not doing well or in danger of relapse, we get them to open their Narconon Books and follow Scientology Religious Doctrines!

The Books are their Tool Box, as we would say. We would help the through doing a Condition Formula, DOUBT, DANGER, EMERGENCY, etc.,..., RUBBISH!!!

This is the Aftercare.

An Ol' Irish Quote:
“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Apparently, there is no aftercare. No, the aftercare is scientology indoctrination.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 20:00 by mefree »
-Dalai Lama

Offline Intelligence

• Hill 10 Situation
I will fight to close down every Narconon that's open until I take my last Irish breath. Whatever it takes. Government meetings, complaints Press/Media, City Council Meetings, Health authorities, Police, and Public awareness.

It CAN and WILL be done !
An Ol' Irish Quote:
“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I will fight to close down every Narconon that's open until I take my last Irish breath. Whatever it takes. Government meetings, complaints Press/Media, City Council Meetings, Health authorities, Police, and Public awareness.

It CAN and WILL be done !

I'm convinced!
-Dalai Lama