Author Topic: [Google] “No on 19″ Says “Yes” to Scientology - Firedoglake (blog)  (Read 1196 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
“No on 19″ Says “Yes” to Scientology - Firedoglake (blog)
8 September 2010, 10:56 am

By: Jane Hamsher Wednesday September 8, 2010 7:20 am

The same day Los Angeles Sheriff Lee Baca became co-chair, with Dianne Feinstein, of the No on 19 campaign, he held a press conference to announce the arrest of a suspect in a triple murder case in West Hollywood.

Baca used the platform — and his role as sheriff — to further the goals of the political campaign by railing against medical marijuana dispensaries. He said that they had been “hijacked by underground drug-dealing criminals” and that “it is no surprise that people are going to get killed … drugs and violence go together.”

Los Angeles Police Chief Charles Beck has disputed Baca’s claim.  “Banks are more likely to get robbed than medical marijuana dispensaries,” he told the Daily News in January.

Beck’s department looked into the assertion made by Baca and others that dispensaries attract criminal activity to neighborhoods.  The LAPD subsequently issued a report saying that just wasn’t the case. “I have tried to verify that because that, of course, is the mantra,” said Beck. “It doesn’t really bear out.”

Baca also claimed that as many as 97 percent of dispensaries operate as criminal enterprises, and that many buy their marijuana from Mexican drug cartels.  According to Thomas Watkins of the Associated Press, “Baca presented no evidence to support his claim.”  The DEA also said that they could not substantiate Baca’s allegations.

In the absence of  proof, where is Baca’s overheated rhetoric coming from?

Baca, Scientology and Narconon

Baca is an enthusiastic advocate of  Scientology’s drug treatment programs, which he actively promotes. Baca has close ties to Scientology, and claims to have to trained deputies in his department using Scientology materials.  The Scientology website says that it “sponsors” the independent non-profits drug treatment programs Narconon and Criminon, which and are based on “The Fundamentals of Thought” by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

According to a Time Magazine cover story:

Hubbard’s purification treatments are the mainstay of Narconon, a Scientology-run chain of 33 alcohol and drug rehabilitation centers — some in prisons under the name “Criminon” — in 12 countries. Narconon [is a] classic vehicle for drawing addicts into the cult.

Revenues for Narconon and other drug treatment programs are generated in large part by court-ordered rehabilitation for drug users, which would be dramatically reduced if marijuana prohibition ended. Much like other elements of the prison industrial complex, Narconon  has campaigned aggressively against medical marijuana over the years.
http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2010/09/08/no-on-19-says-yes-to-scientology/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 13:30 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I read in the comments that Baca got elected because he ran unopposed.  Someone needs to run against him in the next election, even if they don't have law enforcement experience - at least they wouldn't be a mouthpiece for the cult.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
But I don't want to move to LA! Not to mention, they might expect me to do actual work!!! :D

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis