Author Topic: Narconon: Purification induced heatstroke  (Read 18038 times)

Offline BT Dedex

• Met Xenu
Re: Purification induced heatstroke
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 10:18 »
There is probably more evidence of this sort to be found.  My opinion is that it goes right to the top. 

Narconon branches --> Narconon International --> ABLE (Association of Better Living) --> Church of Scientology International --> RTC (Religious Technology Center).

Images from Scientology magazines.  Notice in the first 2 images below, there are 3 separate Narconon icons shown surrounding the scientology org.  No other front group has 3 icons, the most is 2 icons.  Look carefully.

http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/corporate/990s-index.html

Offline VONSTEPHANSON III

• Met Xenu
N
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 12:49 »
removed
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 16:37 by VONSTEPHANSON III »

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 14:42 »
The California Code of Regulations Title 9 Division 4 Chapter 5 covers licensure of residential alcoholism or drug abuse recovery or treatment facilities.
 http://weblinks.westlaw.com/toc/default.aspx?Abbr=ca%2Dadc&Action=expandtree&AP=I948674A0D45211DEB97CF67CD0B99467&ItemKey=I948674A0D45211DEB97CF67CD0B99467&RP=%2Ftoc%2Fdefault%2Ewl&Service=TOC&RS=WEBL10.10&VR=2.0&SPa=CCR-1000&fragment#I948674A0D45211DEB97CF67CD0B99467

You mentioned bait and switch.

Admission agreements covered in Title 9 Division 4 Chapter 5 Subchapter 3 Article 3. Program Services Section 10566 Admission Agreements.

http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?cite=9CAADCS10566&db=1000937&findtype=L&fn=%5Ftop&pbc=4BF3FCBE&rlt=CLID%5FFQRLT54437758122510&rp=%2FSearch%2Fdefault%2Ewl&rs=WEBL10%2E10&service=Find&spa=CCR%2D1000&sr=TC&vr=2%2E0

9 CCR § 10566

Cal. Admin. Code tit. 9, § 10566

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 9. Rehabilitative and Developmental Services
Division 4. Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs
Chapter 5. Licensure of Residential Alcoholism or Drug Abuse Recovery or Treatment Facilities
Subchapter 3. Compliance Requirements
Article 3. Program Services
 § 10566. Admission Agreements.

(a) Fees assessed in consideration for resident recovery or treatment services shall be addressed in individual written agreements at time of admission.

(b) Admission agreements shall specify the following:
(1) Services to be provided.

(2) Payment provisions.

(A) Amount assessed.

(B) Payment schedule.

(C) Refund policy.

(3) Those action, circumstances or conditions which may result in resident eviction from the facility.

(4) The consequences when a resident relapses and consumes alcohol and/or nonhealth sustaining drugs.

(5) Conditions under which the agreement may be terminated.

(c) Such agreements shall be dated and signed by the resident and the licensee no later than seven (7) days following admission. When a facility admits an individual solely for detoxification services, as defined in section 10501(a) of this subchapter, the facility shall be exempt from this requirement.

You mentioned your son was left in the sauna, see section 10569  (3) below.

Title 9 Division 4 Chapter 5 Subchapter 3 Article 3 section 10569 Personal Rights.

http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?cite=9CAADCS10569&db=1000937&findtype=L&fn=%5Ftop&pbc=4BF3FCBE&rlt=CLID%5FFQRLT831215459122510&rp=%2FSearch%2Fdefault%2Ewl&rs=WEBL10%2E10&service=Find&spa=CCR%2D1000&sr=TC&vr=2%2E0

9 CCR § 10569

Cal. Admin. Code tit. 9, § 10569

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 9. Rehabilitative and Developmental Services
Division 4. Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs
Chapter 5. Licensure of Residential Alcoholism or Drug Abuse Recovery or Treatment Facilities
Subchapter 3. Compliance Requirements
Article 3. Program Services
 § 10569. Personal Rights.

(a) Each resident shall have personal rights which include, but are not limited to, the following:
(1) The right to confidentiality as provided for in Title 42, Subchapter A, Part 2 Sections 2.1 through 2.67-1, Code of Federal Regulations.

(2) To be accorded dignity in personal relationships with staff and other persons.

(3) To be accorded safe, healthful and comfortable accommodations to meet his or her needs.

(4) To be free from intellectual, emotional and/or physical abuse.

(5) To be informed by the licensee of the provisions of law regarding complaints including but not limited to the address and telephone number of the department.

(6) To be free to attend religious services or activities of his or her choice and to have visits from a spiritual advisor provided that these services or activities do not conflict with facility program requirements. Participation in religious services will be voluntary only.

(b) All residents shall be personally advised of, and given at admission, a copy of the rights specified in (a)(1) through (6) above.

NOTE: Authority cited: Section 11834.50, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 11834.01 and 11834.50, Health and Safety Code.

I suggested in a previous post that you file a complaint with the California Alcohol and Drug Program (ADP) complain section http://www.adp.ca.gov/feedback/feedback.shtml.
The following link is a document produced by a citizen in Leona Valley http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Leona_Valley/credibility/ and can be found on Stop-Narconon.org –
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/.

As you can see they used complaints that were a direct result of individuals like yourself who filed the initial complaint.

Narconon Warner Springs/Sunshine Summit Lodge was to handle the over flow from Narconon Newport Beach, Narconon Newport is now closed but there is a excellent site created by an individual who was instrumental in Newport Beach creating restrictions on rehab facilities in their town the site also documents Narconons presents in Newport.   http://publicvoice.us/

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 19:35 »
Images from Scientology magazines.  Notice in the first 2 images below, there are 3 separate Narconon icons shown surrounding the scientology org.  No other front group has 3 icons, the most is 2 icons.  Look carefully.

Thanks for posting the images, BT.  I knew there were some floating around somewhere, but didn't have the time this morning to find them.

What is the significance of there being 3 narconon icons, where the most the others have is 2?  Importance?  Income?  Best producer of money and/or recruits?

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 19:50 »
I must say I'm overwhelmed with all the support. Thank you Sunshine, I apologize if I was rude or came on strong. Thanks again. It allows me to move forward with efficiency. Most importantly it allows my son to concentrate on his recovery. Currently he is in an outpatient facility that is a "Preferred Provider" in network recommended by my health insurance. He will also be seeing a doctor today as a follow up to the heat stroke issue. I pray there is no long/late term damage. I will keep you posted.

That's part of what we're here for.   :)

I wish it would have been easier when I looked for a treatment center the first time. Oh well, can't change the past. I spent 4 or 5 days including and discounting options and various centers. One factor was my son had already entered every treatment center in the State of Washington and felt I needed to get him away from close proximity, so he couldn't just walk out with ease if things got tough and wasn't committed to getting well. Which by the way he is.

Glad to hear your son is committed to his recovery, and I'm sure all of us here wish him the best. 

I'm guessing that you found Narconon on the web?

I understand your reasoning for wanting to have him somewhere he couldn't easily leave.  Narconon likes that arrangement too, and actively tries to send people to branches that are distant from the person's home.  As Xenubarb mentioned earlier in the thread, she had heard from someone whose son was also at Warner Springs, and said that their home was in "my neck of the woods."  I am in Georgia!  That's a long way away.  Furthermore, there is a Narconon in Georgia he could have gone to. 

I was reluctant to send him back to a place that wasn't successful in the past. Another problem was my insurance co. will not confirm payment of any inpatient facility until after thirty days from intake even with in network/preferred providers. This is normal procedure, at least for my health insurance company. They notified me 53 days into treatment that coverage had been denied. Once they review the facility they make a decision to either accept or deny payment. Another problem was I was looking for long term care, more than 30 days, preferably 60-90 and options were was again limited. When NN told me 30 day programs don't work for Meth I was sold. I should have known better but I was desperate to get my son help and caught up in the moment.  Another, is by nature of the disease/disorder, since it is prone to relapse I felt I needed to move quickly to get him in to treatment and fell victim to the bait and switch, hard sell tactics NN uses to lure people in. I'm not making excuses, or maybe I am, but this is similar, I suspect to many cases out there just like mine. It's obvious NN is well read in the psychology of the needy and desperate and use this to their advantage.

There are lots of cases like yours, where the family is desperate to get their loved one into rehab, and Narconon seems to be able to smell the desperation.  I have heard of them telling people they had to wire the money right away, or the bed would be gone.  Not only does that play on the person's desperation, but it also creates the (false) impression that Narconon is such a popular and desirable drug rehab facility, that the person is lucky to have found an opening.

Thanks again, I'll stay in touch.

You're welcome, and please do!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 21:47 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews

Offline BT Dedex

• Met Xenu
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 20:37 »
What is the significance of there being 3 narconon icons, where the most the others have is 2?  Importance?  Income?  Best producer of money and/or recruits?

It's kind of strange for Narconon to have the most icons surrounding the Org in the official Scientology graphic.  Per Hubbard policy (Scientology Missions International), each Scientology Org is supposed push to get 10 Missions surrounding every org.  Look at the graphics.  The biggest push is apparently for Narconons. 

I suspect (just my opinion) that Narconons are a big cash cow for Scientology, which might explain the bigger emphasis on that particular front group. 

Missions (also called Franchises) only give roughly 10% cut weekly uplines to SMI (Scientology Missions International) which is a subsection of Int Management.  Way To Happiness Foundation is not a huge cash cow, as far as I know.  WISE (World Institute of Scientology Enterprises) is a big cash cow for Int Management, I don't know why it's not pushed more in the graphic.

Maybe David Love or Mary McConnell can fill us in on what percentage of Narconon's gross income is funneled weekly to Int Management.  10%? 15%? More?

Or maybe the Sea Org graphics artist was just dead tired that week after working 120 hours and wasn't thinking straight, and there is no hidden significance in the graphic.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 22:35 »
Hi ethercat,

Thanks for the info! The FTC stuff I did not know about but interestingly, it is relevant to my interests of today. I knew about th other things and I agree, it's run from the top.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

• Met Xenu
N
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 01:23 »
removed

Offline BT Dedex

• Met Xenu
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 04:45 »
I'm quite certain NN is huge in terms of profit. Simple math puts them at just under $1.5 Million every 60 days for one treatment center. That's 50 students @ $29,000.00 a crack. Now get this, I was promised a 90 day program for my son when I made my decision. Yes, I pulled him out early, but they were already talking about getting him out earlier than a full 90 days right around the forty day mark, due to the fact there was so many people wanting to get in. It's obvious a 60-70 day turnover generates more $$. The students that my son knew, all 50 of them, wanted the hell out, sooooo NN encourages them to get through the program faster. Maybe even to break records to be the fastest through the program ever! 33% more profit to move them in and out in 60 vs. 90. At $1,450,000.00 it's good profit for one center. Consider too, they pay students who choose to stay $50.00/week. Woh!! Wait a minute, don't these states have min. wage laws?? It's profit x2!

Whoa, that's some serious profits!

According to Narconon license agreement, each Narconon center gives 10% of its gross income to Narconon International (which is run by the Sea Org / Scientology International Management)

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Documents/nn_lic_agr.pdf

1. Consideration

a. As consideration for the grant herein made, and as a way to provide financial support for the
educational and charitable purposes of NARCONON INT, CENTER shall pay to NARCONON INT a
weekly fee equal to Ten Percent (10%) of its gross income
, including donations received to support its
services, after deduction of costs only of materials purchased from NARCONON INT or ABLE, investment
income, commissions received for referrals to other organizations, refunds and bounced checks (that have
previously been included in gross income).

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 09:12 »
One, if not the most profitable front groups and a method of recruitment for Scientology, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 19:46 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 11:54 »
VonstephansonIII,

You mention there were fifty clients at the facility, according to the fire permit issued by the San Diego County Fire Marshal, their Major Use Permit and their licenses issued by the State the maximum number of clients they can have at that facility is 30 at any one time. The maximum number of staff at any one time is 15 for a total of 45 clients and staff, how many staff on site?

Narconon Southern California Form 990 reported total revenue $14,514,764.00 for 2008.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 14:19 »
Hi Sunshine, on the occupancy:
Narconon Southern California Sunshine Summit Lodge has a resident capacity of 30 and total occupancy that includes staff is 45

If you go to this link and search for Sunshine Summit Lodge, you can see that info and their ID# with ADP. This gets updated monthly.
http://www.adp.cahwnet.gov/licensing/pdf/Status_Report.pdf

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 15:53 »
Hi Mary_McConnell,

I am aware of the site thanks, the number of residents/staff that ADP uses originate from ADP’s Form 850 that is submitted to ADP by the San Diego County Fire Marshal.

If you check Huntington Harbor House (Narconon) http://www.adp.cahwnet.gov/licensing/pdf/Status_Report.pdf  indicates a Resident capacity of 27 and Total Occupancy of 49, when in fact they can only have a resident capacity of 6 and a Total capacity of 10, ADP has been aware of this but has not changed the document.

It would be great if VONSTEPHANSON III (sorry I misspelled it in earlier post) would filed a complaint (he may have) with ADP about the overcrowding and the drug use.

• Met Xenu
N
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 21:43 »
removed

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 22:41 »
VONSTEPHANSON III,

Sorry if I seem pushy, I understand you have higher priorities, your son was extremely lucky, it is a minimum of 30-45 minutes to town.

When someone is in a life threaten condition in Sunshine Summit they usually life flight them out.

How is your son doing?

If I can be of any assistance please pm me.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 23:08 »
I'm preparing my complaint asap. It will also include the fact that my son was left unattended and forgot about in the sauna. This is what caused him to get sick. They compounded matters by not giving him first aid, a crucial treatment protocol for hyperthermia/hypoxia. HEAT stroke is an acute medical emergency.
I will also include the fact that there was no certified medical staff on sight. Then they asked him, as he was fighting to stay conscious, if he wanted to see a doctor? Heatstroke is the most severe form of the heat-related illnesses and is defined as a body temperature higher than 41.1°C (106°F) associated with neurologic dysfunction. Please note neurologic function. He was not capable of making a good decision, due to the symptoms he experienced while fighting to stay conscious. Anyone with first aid experience would have assessed his condition and acted appropriately. Unfortunately there are only those on staff who passed their wonderful course that lack those skills. It was some on the staff who stated "man we feared for your life, you looked real bad".

What happened to your son is criminal.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 23:38 »
I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your son, and so thankful that you were able to retrieve him before something even worse happened. As many can tell you, sometimes worse things DO happen, and they are all tied, IMVHO, to the lack of oversight and sound medical practice at NNs. Their basic theories on "detoxification" are grossly and dangerously flawed and unscientific, and your gut feeling that NNs are essentially cash cows for a cult is dead on.

Good for you, retaining a lawyer. If I were in your shoes, I would do exactly the same thing. Let us know if we can help with any NN information your lawyer might need; we will do our best to provide it.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 23:53 »
The biggest push is apparently for Narconons. 

I suspect (just my opinion) that Narconons are a big cash cow for Scientology, which might explain the bigger emphasis on that particular front group.

That's my opinion also.

Missions (also called Franchises) only give roughly 10% cut weekly uplines to SMI (Scientology Missions International) which is a subsection of Int Management.  Way To Happiness Foundation is not a huge cash cow, as far as I know.  WISE (World Institute of Scientology Enterprises) is a big cash cow for Int Management, I don't know why it's not pushed more in the graphic.

Does anyone know if the Narconons are subject to pay fees to WISE also?  I know they're not typically listed in the WISE directory as WISE businesses, but they probably use Hubbard Business Management "tech" to run the centers, so wouldn't they also have to pay?

Money for the books used in Narconon is probably paid either to Bridge Publications or Author Services, I would think.

Edit: Whoops!  Posted too fast before reading everything.  I see:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Documents/nn_lic_agr.pdf

after deduction of costs only of materials purchased from NARCONON INT or ABLE

So there's an extra layer in there, with some money coming out at each one.  I know Narconon International and ABLE don't produce the books, worksheets, etc. themselves, so I would imagine they are purchased from Bridge or Author Services.

(This is why I shouldn't post so fast...)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 23:59 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 00:08 »
I'm preparing my complaint asap. It will also include the fact that my son was left unattended and forgot about in the sauna. This is what caused him to get sick. They compounded matters by not giving him first aid, a crucial treatment protocol for hyperthermia/hypoxia. HEAT stroke is an acute medical emergency.
I will also include the fact that there was no certified medical staff on sight. Then they asked him, as he was fighting to stay conscious, if he wanted to see a doctor? Heatstroke is the most severe form of the heat-related illnesses and is defined as a body temperature higher than 41.1°C (106°F) associated with neurologic dysfunction. Please note neurologic function. He was not capable of making a good decision, due to the symptoms he experienced while fighting to stay conscious. Anyone with first aid experience would have assessed his condition and acted appropriately. Unfortunately there are only those on staff who passed their wonderful course that lack those skills. It was some on the staff who stated "man we feared for your life, you looked real bad".

I think anyone with common sense, regardless of first aid training, would realize that someone in this condition should have medical attention.  This reminds me of the situation with Lisa McPherson where Lisa was in very bad shape, both physically and psychologically, and yet, no one took the initiative to seek real medical care for her, instead blindly following Hubbard's "Introspection Rundown" and believing it was the best thing for her.  What happens to people's common sense when they become part of Scientology (and apparently Narconon too)?
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 00:09 »
Good for you, retaining a lawyer. If I were in your shoes, I would do exactly the same thing. Let us know if we can help with any NN information your lawyer might need; we will do our best to provide it.

Agreed.  We're pretty good diggers for information.   ||||9000||||
   Narconon Reviews