Author Topic: [Yahoo] Scientology, others let code fines mount in Clearwater (The Tampa Tribune)  (Read 1723 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Scientology, others let code fines mount in Clearwater (The Tampa Tribune)
10 September 2009, 12:10 pm

Code fines are growing by $250 a day for the Church of Scientology's unfinished Mecca Building in downtown Clearwater.

CLEARWATER - The city of Clearwater is so strapped for cash that leaders have eliminated 86 jobs, cut library hours, and raised the property tax rate.

Parks and recreation workers even stopped flying the American flag for a few days over 13 city landmarks to save a couple of bucks.

But one step the city staff has not taken to help make ends meet is forcing city code violators, including the Church of Scientology, to pay the $3.4 million in fines they owe.

The city counts 43 unpaid liens stemming from code violations by property owners, some of them on the books for years and some growing by hundreds of dollars a day.

Read more at http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/sep/11/scientology-others-let-code-fines-mount-clearwater/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 23:39 by ethercat »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Sandy Springs would do well to look into this.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
Is that a shooped picture, or have they really and truly glued a Greek revival fascia onto the bottom third of a Spanish colonial style building? GHOD is that ugly!!! Is this what they will do to that poor building in Sandy Springs?

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Raven

When I protested down there all the buildings looked pretty ugly.  They seems barely maintained and the area around them barley landscaped.  The only thing that made the sci buildings look better was the deserted downtown of clearwater. 

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I love the comments on that article.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Is that a shooped picture, or have they really and truly glued a Greek revival fascia onto the bottom third of a Spanish colonial style building? GHOD is that ugly!!! Is this what they will do to that poor building in Sandy Springs?

If I am not mistaken, that ugly building is the Super Power building which was just a hole in the ground when we were there in 1999.  Can someone who's been there more recently verify this?

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline 88 Champion Edition Turbo

• Met Xenu
  • Like the old 88, with hardly any difference!!!!
Scientology: Vandals of Architecture. With all this talk of debt, I'm wondering just exactly how much the recession hurt them.

Granted things are slowly settling back to a "yellow" status, but even Co$ has to rely on the same economy as everyone else.
Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.
-The Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
The recession has to have hurt them and if they are hoping to resell any of their real estate they have lost some money. Although, they mostly seem to be bent on acquiring rather than selling.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama