Author Topic: [Yahoo] Riverside County protest boundary ordinance remains intact (The Press-Enterprise)  (Read 1006 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Riverside County protest boundary ordinance remains intact (The Press-Enterprise)
15 September 2009, 10:34 pm

Supervisors left untouched Tuesday an ordinance that places restrictions on protests that target residences in unincorporated Riverside County.

The board approved the ordinance in March after months of debate and revisited it Tuesday to examine its impact. Former Supervisor Roy Wilson, who died last month, had requested the review.

The board accepted a report Tuesday from the Sheriff's Department, saying deputies had no instances where they needed to utilize the ordinance. In situations where the ordinance might apply, deputies found the existing penal code more appropriate, the report said.

The new rules forbid protesters from coming within 30 feet of the property line of a residence they are targeting.

Supervisor Jeff Stone and the Church of Scientology, which owns a 700-acre compound near Hemet, had pushed for the ordinance. In January, Stone sought to fast-track the ordinance, saying it was urgently needed to prevent someone from being harmed.

Small groups of protesters have picketed many times outside the church's Golden Era Productions campus, which includes staff dormitories, film studios, offices and recreational amenities.

Protesters say church officials have abused staffers who live on the compound, charges church representatives say are untrue.

more at Riverside County protest boundary ordinance remains intact (The Press-Enterprise)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 22:04 by ethercat »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Critics ask for appeal of Riverside County picketing ordinance (The Temecula Valley News)
15 September 2009, 11:56 pm
Special to the Valley News
Issue 38, Volume 9.

RIVERSIDE - A Riverside County ordinance that prohibits picketing closer than 30 feet from a residence has never been enforced since a divided Board of Supervisors approved it, prompting critics today to call for its repeal.

"There are no picketing incidents now or in the past that show the necessity of this ordinance in the county of Riverside,'' said Julie Waltz, a county resident who has been a vocal critic of the measure since it was enacted in March.

"This ordinance was written on speculation and hearsay ...,'' she told the board. "It is an infringement of our constitutional rights.''

more at http://www.myvalleynews.com/story/40672/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 22:08 by ethercat »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.