Author Topic: Sunshine Summit Lodge Narconon is Dirty and Unsafe  (Read 18120 times)

Offline Cigul

• Met Xenu
Re: Sunshine Summit Lodge Narconon is Dirty and Unsafe
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 05:21 »
BigBeard,

Scam, indeed! In "Clear Body/Clear Mind" (required reading for students prior to beginning sauna) Hubbard writes of personally observing a case where, in sauna, the niacin "turned on" a "full-blown" case of skin cancer, which, with continued administration of niacin and sauna, was subsequently "run out" and cured. "What turns it on, turns it off," after all.
Hubbard with his usual flair for grandiose delusion actually claimed to cure cancer with niacin and sauna. It almost makes sweating out drug residuals believable, by comparison. Almost only not, of course. But he did indeed have some far out ideas about what niacin could do and of course despite years of actual, replicable, peer reviewed scientific research, Narconon staff cannot argue or alter the tech as that would be tantamount to heresy. So not only do you have addicts with already compromised liver function risking further damage with outrageously and dangerously high doses of niacin given daily, but the GI side effects such as vomiting and diarrhea were daily experiences for every student in sauna. I was personally in sauna with another student who was an insulin-dependent diabetic and should have NEVER been taking such doses of niacin given its effects on blood sugar (although "Dr" Sossin must have approved it). And my personal favorite, and by favorite I mean terrifying, observation was of a fellow student who clearly had schizophrenia (as evidenced by delusional thinking, responding to internal stimuli, ie, looking at and speaking to others who were not present, loose associations resulting in nearly incoherent speech patterns, etc) who was in sauna for nearly two months taking ridiculous amounts of niacin daily because the Narconon staff (none of whom with any medical training of course) were following the tech, which indicated that her hallucinations were turned on by the niacin and thus must be run through and turned off by continuing administration of niacin and sauna. Given my profession (psychologist) and my expertise (I actually specialized in treatment of schizophrenia) I tried to indicate to staff that this student was NOT appropriate for the Narconon program and that it was medically impossible for her to sweat out schizophrenia in the sauna. Those appeals fell on deaf ears naturally because, as not just a wog but also a nazi-psych wog, I was the one mistaken in my belief that there was such an illness as schizophrenia. To this day I've no idea how they managed to not seriously injure and/or kill the students with diabetes and schizophrenia and really who knows about any long term organ damage that might have occurred. Not only a scam BigBeard, but truly a daily miracle that the Purif doesn't claim more lives.
The highest good is like water.
It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao.

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 07:00 »
Unfortunately, I'm beginning to believe it's going to take more deaths before the Feds get off the dime and set up national standards for detox/rehab facilities. Including having trained medical staff on site.

I've been writing Congress critters about this for some time, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. Maybe when the U.S. side of NarCONon gets dragged in to Canadian court it'll get someones attention on Capital Hill.

BigBeard

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 07:15 »
A miracle indeed Cigul. The illnesses and deaths we know about are probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Narconon is marketing their program to dual diagnosis clients. Ugh! BigBeard is right. The Feds need to get involved and take action.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 18:10 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 09:17 »
A miracle indeed Cigul. The illnesses and deaths we know about are probably just the tip of the iceberg.

BigBeard is right. The Feds need to get involved and take action.

May take hiring legal entities to "Force" the state/fed to do something. The laws are on the books. It may take a different style of love to get the man off his ass!

Offline Cooper

• New Around Here
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 14:13 »
I just looked at the website for Sunshine Summit Lodge I was their in Jan and Feb of 2010.  The website is a completely false view of what the place is like.  The whole time I was their the Hot tub never worked.  The place was littered with cigarette butts.  It shows all these beautiful people in the pictures happy and smiling.  The most far from the truth were the picture of people in Chef Coats looking like they are ready to cook you the five star meal in the picture.  Much different from the one guy who had to cook each meal almost every day (former student of course) who I would smoke a cigarette with in the morning.  He never smiled.  I remember the laundry room being flooded only a few washer and dryers would work.  They would run out of laundry detergent often.  Oh buy the way they don't tell you that you will be the one of the people washing the towels each night after sauna.  You wash you're own sheets and bedding which is in horrible condition when you get them.  The blanket was so thin I had never even seen anything like it.  After reading the report and remembering all the things their it pissed me enough to want to register and post here after looking at their new website.  They don't tell you that you will be responsible for all the cleaning while the staff just sits on their ass and smokes cigarettes.  Then you pick up or empty their butts into the trash later.  I couldn't believe they were able to operate with the facility in such need of repair.  I never seen anything fixed unless it was done by a current or former student, or someone on ethics.  They also had one student who they had worked it out where he could do his community service while he was there.  It worked out perfect since it was obvious to me they didn't want to spend any money on the place.  It didn't look like the type of place people pay 30,000 dollars to go to.

Former Narconon "student" just making sure people know the truth about Narconon.  I was scammed into it like many others. 

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 14:31 »
Cooper -

Welcome! From your first hand account, one thing is very clear. If these staff ever did give a damn, they sure don't anymore. Very sad for everyone involved, but especially for the patients, who desperately need someone to care. Obviously, the $30,000 isn't going toward people's treatment. Congrats to you for surviving the place.

Offline Cigul

• Met Xenu
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 15:01 »
I second Snippy's welcome and his congratulations on surviving sunshine summit lodge. I too was student (and unfortunately staff) there from March 2011-October 2011. We would probably have much to talk about!
The highest good is like water.
It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 16:34 »
I just looked at the website for Sunshine Summit Lodge I was their in Jan and Feb of 2010.  The website is a completely false view of what the place is like.  The whole time I was their the Hot tub never worked.  The place was littered with cigarette butts.  It shows all these beautiful people in the pictures happy and smiling.  The most far from the truth were the picture of people in Chef Coats looking like they are ready to cook you the five star meal in the picture.  Much different from the one guy who had to cook each meal almost every day (former student of course) who I would smoke a cigarette with in the morning.  He never smiled.  I remember the laundry room being flooded only a few washer and dryers would work.  They would run out of laundry detergent often.  Oh buy the way they don't tell you that you will be the one of the people washing the towels each night after sauna.  You wash you're own sheets and bedding which is in horrible condition when you get them.  The blanket was so thin I had never even seen anything like it.  After reading the report and remembering all the things their it pissed me enough to want to register and post here after looking at their new website.  They don't tell you that you will be responsible for all the cleaning while the staff just sits on their ass and smokes cigarettes.  Then you pick up or empty their butts into the trash later.  I couldn't believe they were able to operate with the facility in such need of repair.  I never seen anything fixed unless it was done by a current or former student, or someone on ethics.  They also had one student who they had worked it out where he could do his community service while he was there.  It worked out perfect since it was obvious to me they didn't want to spend any money on the place.  It didn't look like the type of place people pay 30,000 dollars to go to.

Former Narconon "student" just making sure people know the truth about Narconon.  I was scammed into it like many others.

As I stated in the Lucas Catton book thread, thank you so much for writing about your experience at Narconon. This will help many people.
Looking forward to future comments and insights fro you.

Thank you!!

Mary
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 21:36 »
Cooper, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

:w:e:l:c:o:m:e: to Tipping Point.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 09:57 »
Cooper, welcome to the Tipping Point. 

It would be great if you did the Narconon Survey - it's not done by Narconon, but by some independent researchers.  The link is http://reachingforthetippingpoint.net/narcononsurvey.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Cooper

• New Around Here
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 12:42 »
Thanks ethercat,

I did the survey about a week ago.  I stayed for a little while at Narconon Newport beach before going to Warner Springs.  It was in January of 2010 I was suppose to do just Non Med detox however ended up staying because they didn't have room at Warner.  So I did everything up until Sauna in Newport.  When they explained everything originally they never told me Newport was closing. So of course that place was a dump too.  I remember getting all packed once too leave and then they told us we had to stay longer.  They had me and my twin teach book 1 to people coming out of detox since they wouldn't let us move on with our program.  They said we had to wait and start sauna at Warner.  So instead of moving on with my treatment I started teaching the program and continued to clean the place.  I soon found out it was over crowed at Warner because of Newport closing and they didn't nearly have enough staff too handle the students. Plus they had to wait for beds too open.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47 »
Thanks ethercat,

I did the survey about a week ago.  I stayed for a little while at Narconon Newport beach before going to Warner Springs.  It was in January of 2010 I was suppose to do just Non Med detox however ended up staying because they didn't have room at Warner.  So I did everything up until Sauna in Newport.  When they explained everything originally they never told me Newport was closing. So of course that place was a dump too.  I remember getting all packed once too leave and then they told us we had to stay longer.  They had me and my twin teach book 1 to people coming out of detox since they wouldn't let us move on with our program.  They said we had to wait and start sauna at Warner.  So instead of moving on with my treatment I started teaching the program and continued to clean the place.  I soon found out it was over crowed at Warner because of Newport closing and they didn't nearly have enough staff too handle the students. Plus they had to wait for beds too open.

Wow! You were there at Newport at the end! It took much effort on the part of people to get that facility closed. I did my part, getting victim affidavits into the council hearings. I sent lots of reports and documents on how they'd gotten their facility illegally licensed. There was a whole group of prople out there trying for years to close them down and finally it happened. No license renewal. So sorry you had to endure the program and transition mess. Thanks for speaking up on this! 
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 09:38 »
Thanks ethercat,

Welcome to RFTTP cooper. Seriously happy in hearing what you have to say.