Author Topic: Yarramalong NN, in Yarramalong, north of Sydney, New South Wales  (Read 4397 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Another one down:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-30/drug-reject/5421756
Church of Scientology drug rehab centre rejected
A plan for a controversial Church of Scientology drug rehabilitation centre on the New South Wales Central Coast has been rejected.

Wyong Council has this week knocked back a proposal by an offshoot of the Church of Scientology, the Association for Better Living and Education, to run a rehabilitation facility in the Yarramalong Valley.

ABLE wanted to run the Narconon treatment program, which has been associated with deaths in the US and Europe.

Wyong Mayor, Doug Eaton says while the Church of Scientology's involvement did not influence Council's decision, its method of treatment was a factor.

"To be allowed in the area it'd have to be defined as a hospital and there wasn't enough material to demonstrate it could be so defined because my understanding of the rehab process it that it is more of a religious process than it is a medical process," he said.

Councillor Eaton says ABLE still has the right to appeal against the decision in the Land and Environment Court.

"The reason I am slightly concerned about it is that they have gone ahead and purchased the land," he said.

"Mind you if they do go to court, Council will obviously fight the case and try to prove our refusal was proper."

A bit more here: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?35744-Australia-Church-of-Scientology-drug-rehab-centre-rejected
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Scientologists' DA for Yarramalong Valley drug rehab centre rejected
Wyong Shire Council has rejected a Church of Scientology proposal for a controversial drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility in the Yarramalong Valley in the central coast hinterland.

A church offshoot, the Association for Better Living and Education, lodged a development application last year but did not bother to await Wyong's decision, outlaying $3.8 million on February 7 to buy the 30-hectare Yarramalong property owned by Albert Bertini, a financially troubled millionaire who left Sydney two years ago.

ABLE  planned to use the property to house 20 participants in a controversial substance abuse treatment program, Narconon, that has been associated with deaths in the US and Europe. Several governments have forced the closure of its centres.

More at the link above, including a photo of the place.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline TinyDancer

• New Around Here
Prelim: I wonder if posts 35 and 36 in this thread might best be put in a separate thread, as there appear to be two separate proposed Narconon facilities in separate states:

• The Warburton NN, outside Melbourne, Victoria
; and
  • The Yarramalong NN, in Yarramalong, north of Sydney, New South Wales

YARRAMALONG

After the Wyong Shire Council refused to grant planning approval for the use of the facility at Yarramalong as a NN in April 2014, ABLE appealed to the NSW Land and Environment Court (NSWLEC).

On 19 November 2014, the NSWLEC determined a preliminary question as to whether the proposed use of the facility was prohibited or was one that could be allowed by consent of the Council. This hung on whether the facility falls within the ambit of the expression "transitional group home".

The Court decided in favour of ABLE on that preliminary point.

Association for Better Living and Education Inc v Wyong Shire Council (2) [2014] NSWLEC 1239

You'll see by the "(2)" in the case name that this is the second decision in this jurisdiction. The first was the decision to allow these issues to be determined separately to the overall appeal.

Another one down:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-30/drug-reject/5421756
Church of Scientology drug rehab centre rejected
A plan for a controversial Church of Scientology drug rehabilitation centre on the New South Wales Central Coast has been rejected.

Wyong Council has this week knocked back a proposal by an offshoot of the Church of Scientology, the Association for Better Living and Education, to run a rehabilitation facility in the Yarramalong Valley.

ABLE wanted to run the Narconon treatment program, which has been associated with deaths in the US and Europe.

Wyong Mayor, Doug Eaton says while the Church of Scientology's involvement did not influence Council's decision, its method of treatment was a factor.

"To be allowed in the area it'd have to be defined as a hospital and there wasn't enough material to demonstrate it could be so defined because my understanding of the rehab process it that it is more of a religious process than it is a medical process," he said.

Councillor Eaton says ABLE still has the right to appeal against the decision in the Land and Environment Court.

"The reason I am slightly concerned about it is that they have gone ahead and purchased the land," he said.

"Mind you if they do go to court, Council will obviously fight the case and try to prove our refusal was proper."

A bit more here: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?35744-Australia-Church-of-Scientology-drug-rehab-centre-rejected

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Yarramalong NN, in Yarramalong, north of Sydney, New South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:24 »
Prelim: I wonder if posts 35 and 36 in this thread might best be put in a separate thread, as there appear to be two separate proposed Narconon facilities in separate states:

• The Warburton NN, outside Melbourne, Victoria
; and
  • The Yarramalong NN, in Yarramalong, north of Sydney, New South Wales

Thanks, Tiny Dancer.  I've done that now (this thread).  Thanks for helping this US-centric poster with her Australian geography.   ;)
   Narconon Reviews

Offline DeathHamster

• Actual Trouble Source
They just don't want to drop their Continental Ideal Model Super Narconon plans:

Scientology launches new legal challenge against rural NSW residents for rehab centre March 5, 2015, ninemsn

Few details, but that's probably the NSW Land and Environment Court‎, which is their last hope.

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Does Australia have laws against quackery? If so, the California report that got narCONon's "not supported by current science" BS booted from California schools might be useful for these folks.
BigBeard

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
They just don't want to drop their Continental Ideal Model Super Narconon plans:

Scientology launches new legal challenge against rural NSW residents for rehab centre March 5, 2015, ninemsn

Few details, but that's probably the NSW Land and Environment Court‎, which is their last hope.

They're not going to give up easy, but "people power can make a difference."

Good to see Paul Schofield interviewed. He brought out important points on the dangers and lack of scientific evidence, or effectiveness of the program.

But former scientologist Paul Schofield, who used to work on the Narconon program says there is no scientific basis to it.

"It doesn’t' work, pure as that," he told A Current Affair.

"It's not a drug rehab program as much as it is a scientology indoctrination program."

He says the program involves a strange and dangerous religious ritual, requiring students to spend up to five hours in a hot sauna, and taking high doses of vitamins.

The professor talking about the high-dose Niacin was also a nice touch. 
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline DeathHamster

• Actual Trouble Source
It's a shame that the Australian press don't make the connection that this is the same program:

Scientologists targeting alcoholic Aborigines with 'killer' therapy November 19, 2010, Paul Toohey, Daily Telegraph, The Advertiser

Offline DeathHamster

• Actual Trouble Source
Bwahahaha!

Narconon tried to use their bogus and already dead "3rd best rehab" ranking that they paid for. I pooned the article, but who knows if or when it'll show. Hopefully the Telegraph will realize that they were lied to and rise again, harder and stronger.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/central-coast/group-linked-to-church-of-scientology-plans-drug-rehab-centre-at-yarramalong/story-fngr8h0p-1227256790597

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Bwahahaha!

Narconon tried to use their bogus and already dead "3rd best rehab" ranking that they paid for. I pooned the article, but who knows if or when it'll show. Hopefully the Telegraph will realize that they were lied to and rise again, harder and stronger.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/central-coast/group-linked-to-church-of-scientology-plans-drug-rehab-centre-at-yarramalong/story-fngr8h0p-1227256790597

What a ridiculous claim!  O-\eh?

Later in the article, Conley, rather slyly, drops the Salvation Army name in the hopes of a subliminal comparison.

What would Jeff Carter think?
http://thatjeffcarterwashere.blogspot.com/2010/06/were-just-like-salvation-army.html

Ms Conley said the United States ranked Narconon its third best rehab program.

She said as the Yarramalong matter was before the court she could not comment further on the proposal. She also denied all residents were opposed to the operation.

“There is a big drug problem on the Central Coast,” she said.

“As in all development applications, there are always vocal dissenters who will oppose any change.

“When the Salvation Army facility in Dooralong opened there was huge opposition and that centre has been a success and the fears were not materialised.”

Scientology, you're such a hoot!!!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Ms Conley said the United States ranked Narconon its third best rehab program.

Someone in Oz should ask the US Embassy there to verify if the United States has ranked narCONon as anything other than a scam.
BigBeard

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 08:39 »
The appeal has been dismissed:
https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision/5654e237e4b003c5681fae9b

Judgment

This is an appeal against the refusal by Wyong Shire Council of DA/781/2013 for the use of existing buildings for a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility at 36 Rose Hill Lane, Yarramalong (the site).

The council maintains that the application should be refused because, in general terms, the application does not adequately address impacts relating to :
  • social impact,
  • sewage disposal,
  • bushfire,
  • existing buildings,
  • public transport,
  • impact on amenity,
  • flooding,
  • potable water,
  • traffic, and
  • zone objectives.

The development application attracted a number of submissions opposing the development and a number of local residents provided evidence at the hearing and supported the contentions raised by the council.  ...more...

Scooter gives some commentary here:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?35307-NARCONON-ABLE-plans-another-Australian-Drug-Centre&p=1074879&viewfull=1#post1074879

Quote from: Scooter
Quote from: tetloj
I suspect a second application can be made to council that addresses all of the issues pointed out in this judgment?

And why on earth do we have to rely on planning law and guidelines to overturn clinically unfounded drug rehabilitation practices.

Is there no legal regulation or guidelines for operation of drug rehab (asking no-one in particular - just putting it out there).

Am somewhat familiar with child care regs in WA, and they are very stringent. Seems to me that drug addicts are also vulnerable and in need of protection against unscrupulous operators.

Also notice it is ABLE documented on the appeal. Is this part of the new organisation of Narconon? Wondering if we would have previously expected the party to be Narconon International.

Some of the listed items could be appealed but some just can't - like the bush-fire plan. That's pretty un-appealable per the Senior Commissioner's findings. The traffic plan is another one - they would have to fess up the truth and that would open a whole can of worms that they've tried to cover up. They will have a LOT more traffic than they've told their consultants - and right there is why this application failed to be granted the appeal.

Cult has gotten so caught up in its own "acceptable truths" that it can't see that a legal mind (like the SC's) won't be swayed by anything other than provable facts. He even stated that my evidence held no weight as I may well be biased. That's about the only win I can see that the cult can take from this - my evidence wasn't acceptable.

But the SC fails to even mention Edwina's (former NN staff who apparently made a "favourable" report on NN) statement that the cult submitted, presumably for the same reason. She's biased. He takes apart Nigel Mannock's evidence quite forensically and points out all the holes in that bunch of BS. I think that was all drilled and billed beforehand and it really sounded like DM's words coming out of Nigel's mouth - it was as convoluted and confused as Shermanspeak at its nadir.

The SC deliberately steered away from the efficacy or lack thereof of the NarCONon program because he can only rule on planning issues. That was made plain to me by the Council's Legal Officer before the first day of hearings. I could only speak on planning issues as everything else was irrelevant to the Court. Sadly it's the legacy of the NeoCons getting into the State Govt. and making it hard for residents/local Councils/ environment groups/etc. to legally object to anything toxic that someone with the cash wants to pollute a property with.

From what I've read into it, the cult has Buckley's of getting an appeal up against this judgement. Not that that's going to stop DM from throwing money after pursuing one. I guess it'll depend on what the vertically challenged Drunken Maggot decides in His Scotch-induced stupor tonight, once He's thrown a tantrum and beaten up a few minions and sent some OSA ANZO and ABLE ANZO dupes to the RPF. He's stated publicly that this place will be opened and I'm guessing that he'll take this as a personal affront to His Most Stupendous OTness that His minions didn't achieve it and He'll have to do it all Hisself.

But just don't expect to see the cancerous LITTLE weasel front up to court here in Oz - He'll send in more cannon-fodder as usual.

And yes, it should have been NarCONon International but Nigel and Co. were at pains to say that ABLE Int. were taking over the whole project as the previous management (un-named but obviously NN Int and its juniors) had failed. Sort of like how OSA took over from the GO after Operation Snow White and that made everything all right.

I mean, that strategy worked out REALLY well for the cult, didn't it?  :-D^\^\
   Narconon Reviews

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 16:20 »
Short form of WSC decision: Take your 'acceptable truths' and stick them where the sun don't shine. Appeal denied.
BigBeard

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
-Dalai Lama