Author Topic: You can’t detox your body. It’s a myth.  (Read 1273 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
You can’t detox your body. It’s a myth.
« on: July 29, 2015, 20:31 »
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

“Let’s be clear,” says Edzard Ernst, emeritus professor of complementary medicine at Exeter University, “there are two types of detox: one is respectable and the other isn’t.” The respectable one, he says, is the medical treatment of people with life-threatening drug addictions. “The other is the word being hijacked by entrepreneurs, quacks and charlatans to sell a bogus treatment that allegedly detoxifies your body of toxins you’re supposed to have accumulated.”

If toxins did build up in a way your body couldn’t excrete, he says, you’d likely be dead or in need of serious medical intervention. “The healthy body has kidneys, a liver, skin, even lungs that are detoxifying as we speak,” he says. “There is no known way – certainly not through detox treatments – to make something that works perfectly well in a healthy body work better.”

Lots more at the link above. 

Also:
British Medical Journal - Alternative detox, by E. Ernst

Scientology detox programmes: expensive and unproven

And more: Narconon Detox methods
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Re: You can’t detox your body. It’s a myth.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 22:52 »
Nice resource!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Re: You can’t detox your body. It’s a myth.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 13:10 »
Along the same lines...  I can't wait for everyone to see the upcoming video of the filmed presentation given by toxicologist, Dr. Angela Harris on the myths of Hubbard's detox 'hypotheses'  ;D

Jon Atack: Looking back on a week of Scientology enturbulation in Toronto
I showed the Bridge to the Bridge, which defies all of Narconon’s claims to separation from the cult, along with Lt Col Mark Jones’s declaration showing that he ran Narconon on behalf of the Guardian’s Office of the Church of Scientology (Hubbard even awarded him a free course). I also pointed out that the “founder” of Narconon, William Benitez, returned to prison for heroin possession after his supposed release from addiction.

This introduced David Miller, Jon Little, and Katherine Villanueva who are determinedly bringing the activities of Narconon to the courts, ably assisted by Mary McConnell. Ryan Hamilton sent his best wishes, but was too busy with depositions to attend.

The second session was given to a patient deconstruction of Hubbard’s patently unscientific claims for the Purification Rundown by toxicologist, Angela Harris, PhD. There simply is no evidence to support Hubbard’s claims and no attempt at scientific verification has been made in the almost 40 years since they were first presented. We do not know how many lives have been devastated by this pseudo-science, but I have it on good authority that two people died on the first Purification Rundown at Saint Hill. A chap I knew, who was a black belt in two martial arts and had a sharp wit was reduced to a wheelchair and incapable of forming a sentence when I saw him after the Rundown, when I was still a member.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/07/04/jon-atack-looking-back-on-a-week-of-scientolog-enturbulation-in-toronto/
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.