Author Topic: [Google] A bad day for Scientology? - New Statesman (blog)  (Read 692 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
A bad day for Scientology? - New Statesman (blog)
29 September 2010, 10:56 am

In the heady days before the internet, an entity such as the Church of Scientology had no real difficulty in protecting its intellectual property and in seeking to uphold its reputation.

Any alleged misuse or supposed wrongful disclosure of its sacred and confidential texts could be met with a cease and desist letter to an offending publisher. Any adverse statement could perhaps be confronted with a libel threat. Any unauthorised contacts by Church members with external critics could be appropriately dealt with. The Church of Scientology were beneficiaries of the command-and-control model of media relations in a Golden Age for newly-invented religions.

Regardless of the merits of Scientology, such a model can no longer be sustained. Their sacred and confidential texts are freely available on Wikileaks. Critics of Scientology commonly exchange views and information on Twitter and elsewhere. The Church of Scientology simply does not appear as imposing as it once did.

It is in this context that we should consider the events of yesterday, an seemingly bad day for the Church of Scientology in the United Kingdom.

more at http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2010/09/scientology-church-internet
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 17:37 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.