Author Topic: [Yahoo] Book Review: The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion by Hugh B. Urban  (Read 774 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Book Review: The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion by Hugh B. Urban
5 October 2011, 11:34 am

Earlier this year, The New Yorker published a devastating article about Crash director Paul Haggis, and his disillusionment with the Church of Scientology.  Six months later, the Church responded with an elaborate parody, complete with videos, attempting to smear Haggis and writer Lawrence Wright for their alleged dishonesty.

This is not an organization known for taking criticism lightly.  If the Church of Scientology is famous for anything aside from Tom Cruise and John Travolta, it's for aggressively using the justice system against its many detractors. Founder L. Ron Hubbard explained his legal philosophy in 1955: “The purpose of the [lawsuit] is to harass and discourage rather than to win. The law can be used very easily to harass, and enough harassment on somebody who is simply on the thin edge anyway... will generally be sufficient to cause his professional decease. If possible, of course, ruin him utterly.”

The reclusive Hubbard died in 1986, his bloodstream full of the very pharmaceuticals denounced by his Church, but Scientology critics should still brace themselves for long, difficult, and expensive defamation actions brought by the organization. Time magazine and its parent company spent millions of dollars in legal fees defending its 1991 cover story “The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power.” Church lawyers have demanded that Google remove anti-Scientology web sites from its search results. Most notoriously, the venerable Cult Awareness Network was forced into bankruptcy after years of litigation against Scientology — and then its name was purchased by a Scientologist who started up a Hubbard-friendly “New Cult Awareness Network.”

more at http://blogcritics.org/books/article/book-review-the-church-of-scientology/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 20:35 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.