Author Topic: Legal Complaint: Teague vs Narconon Freedom Center Michigan & A Forever Recovery  (Read 14803 times)

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
Another thing on Per.  He is a douche.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 22:59 by BMF »
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
I have originals:)  She wasnt being ripped off at all.  She was being reported on for falsifying stats and not paying bills and made up the shit about Int forcing Scn on her.  They actually never did that.  She quit.  Her and Per were the only check signers and she held the check book.  There actually were no assests to split up.  They owed more than the places were worth and all the equipment was held as collateral by several different leasing companies for loans they took out.  Its fraud actually.  She got about $750,000 cash and lots more as OSA didnt want to have the Church involved in court.  I knew she had no case but they didnt want more bad PR as they wanted to keep NN alive in Mich.  NN Int went so far as to set up Narconon of Michigan to pay her so it wouldnt look like the money came from them.  They borrowed around 350k from Arrowhead and she took the rest in payments I believe.

Wow. Just saw this. Thanks. Learning every day!
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Is this case still ongoing? Could someone who understands legalese please decipher the recent events of Sept. 2012.  Docket link:

https://mcc.co.calhoun.mi.us/details.php?c=2012+0000001483&se=party#parties

Thanks  :)

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
The last thing listed was the defendents being told to pound sand to their request for summary disposition on Sep 19th.

So it looks like the case is still on track.
BigBeard

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
The top lines seem to show that count 6 of the plaintiff's complaint was dismissed, and that the defendants had petitioned for summary disposition, and were denied. It reads like this one might make it to trial!

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Thanks a bunch - good news!

8:O8P|()

Offline dad

• New Around Here
My daughter is in Albion center. I need advice and help.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target

I posted this in reply to your other message, but will copy it here.

Welcome, dad, I wish you were here under more pleasant circumstances.

I've activated PMs for you, so you can send Mary a PM with this link: http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=19

Mary may be sleeping now, so I'll do my best with advice for you.

If your daughter has any medical conditions that would be made worse by the sauna or the vitamins, you will want to get her out as soon as you can, if she has recently arrived. I believe the sauna part starts about a week after they arrive. 

If she doesn't have special medical conditions, you will still want to get her out, but it's not as much of an emergency as if she does.  The living conditions and circumstances are not good, but most people make it through the program with only bad memories (which is bad enough, and reason to get her out, but not a "gotta do it right this minute" situation).

If you are near there, or can travel to there, it would be good to alert the police that you are coming, and have them accompany you when you go.

It would be better not to alert Narconon that you are coming.  It is also best that you don't give too many identifying details on the public forum.

I am sure Mary will respond to you as soon as she can.  You can also PM me if you'd like (I will probably be sleeping soon, too, though):
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=3

Also make sure to call the Michigan Attorney General's office and report your experience to them.  I believe these are the phone numbers: 517-373-1140, or 877-765-8388
http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-17331-42077--,00.html

You will also probably want to report this to the Michigan licensing authority when she is safely out, so here is their information: http://www.michigan.gov/lara

Here is their page about filing a complaint:
http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_63294_63302-64503--,00.html

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:53 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
You've received excellent advice from ethercat. I'll just add that you should have a plan in place for transfer of your daughter to another program. Finances are frequently an issue in these circumstances. One option is to check with your county mental health department where information on low-cost or no-cost treatment options may be available.

I'm sure Mary will have more information for you.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Hello concerned parent. Thanks for reaching out I have sent you a private message (PM).

I think it's important not to do anything until you have your concerns addressed and then have a plan on what you will do or not do.

I would not contact any agencies until after your daughter is out, presuming you plan to take her out. My concern is that you not just take her out of there until you have a plan and a place to send her. This is often a difficult task because money is already invested in Narconon and finding an alternate place to send the loved one requires planning. You cannot rely on using the money Narconon you gave Narconon to be returned - certainly not right away if at all - depending upon the length of stay she has been there.

I look forward to your reply to my PM and hope to be able to help you in this matter.

Mary

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target

She is your daughter. Do what is best for her.

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
Freedom Center had NO BUSINESS taking this guys money or having him set foot in the faciltity.  Its in their policy NOT to take people in need of medical withdrawal.
ET went home.

Offline Escapee

• Met Xenu
So sad that there has been so many deaths at there facilities. Whaite I was a student in Michigan I saw a lot of people have seizures and end up in the hospital, even a person light themselves on fire after being taken off psych meds! There is no care here just the blind leading the blind!!! So sad

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
So sad that there has been so many deaths at there facilities. Whaite I was a student in Michigan I saw a lot of people have seizures and end up in the hospital, even a person light themselves on fire after being taken off psych meds! There is no care here just the blind leading the blind!!! So sad

Thanks for mentioning these things. The fire victim was Richard Teague. He is suing Narconon Freedom Center and A Forever Recovery for what happened during his stay at both facilities and the negligent fire. You can read about it here.
Legal Complaint: Teague vs Narconon Freedom Center Michigan & A Forever Recovery
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php?topic=11433.0

If you have information or were a witness to any of these matters you mentioned above, and if you have not already done so, please do contact the attorney representing Teague. Yo can also tell them about your experience there and they can see if you have a good case for suing NNFC as well.  Here is the contact information. Anything you say or write is confidential and protected.

Here is Jeffrey Ray's contact info from his Bar Association profile
http://www.michbar.org/memberdirectory/detail.cfm?PID=31098

Jeffrey P. Ray—P31098 (active and in good standing)

Jeffrey P. Ray PC
2500 Lake Lansing Rd Ste A
Lansing, MI  48912

Phone: (517) 372-5700
Fax: (517) 372-0702
e-Mail: jeff@otisraylaw.com
Sections:     Labor & Employment Law Section, Master Lawyers Section
Michigan Licensed: 05/28/1980

Offline Escapee

• Met Xenu

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
All of these stressful events that happen at the various Narconons must make it extremely difficult for someone trying to get off drugs.  The environment is not exactly conducive to staying clean, even at the best of times.  Sorry you had to be there, Escapee.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target

Truly sad. Also, the idea of a "cure" is encouraged. So, the afflicted think they can drink or use again without impunity. Too many young people and their families have been harmed by this quackery!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Some related posts from elsewhere on the forum were just merged into this thread.

:cleanuponaisle4:
   Narconon Reviews

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
An interesting update on the Teague case was just posted on Tony Ortega's site. 

http://tonyortega.org/2013/10/18/scientology-drug-rehab-troubling-new-evidence-in-the-disturbing-case-of-richard-teague/

Some interesting snippets of a Deposition from their Director of Nursing include:

Q. Did you ever relapse when you were employed at AFR?

A. No.

Q. Have you seen other employees relapse while they were employed at AFR?

A. Yes.

Q. Who?

A. Oh, my goodness.

Also, about staff telling clients to drink/use drugs before coming into treatment so they can profit off the insurance.

Q. Did you ever hear of someone at AFR, whether they were in Division 6 or otherwise, telling a new patient to actually ingest drugs or alcohol before they came to the facility so that there would be more … more confident of insurance coverage?

A. Can I clarify that? Did I hear the AFR staff say that?

Q. Did you hear of that practice taking place?

A. I heard of it. I heard of it by the client.

Q. More than one client?

A. Correct.