Author Topic: Have You Told All? Inside My Time With Narconon and Scientology  (Read 32566 times)

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Re: Have You Told All? Inside My Time With Narconon and Scientology
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 23:40 »
the only way his son was allowed to do Scientology services was if he handled his dad to not practice psychiatry anymore, not advocate for psychiatric drugs, and to do something in support of Scientology activities

"Handling" him sounds more like "blackmailing" him, i.e. if his dad didn't do this, the son would disconnect from him. Must have been hell for the dad, a psychiatrist who couldn't un-brainwash his own son and then be coerced to compromise his integrity.  Another gem, Cool Hand.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 23:49 »
Past the 50,000 word mark, unedited, and still going strong.  Will look for something to post again soon.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 07:14 »
Past the 50,000 word mark, unedited, and still going strong.  Will look for something to post again soon.

Go, Luke!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 22:27 »
(On going through part of the program)

"Book 4B is about Objective processes.  These are actual Scientology auditing procedures.  The book even uses and defines the term auditor in the Scientological sense of "one who listens."  Students are taught how to create Session Report Forms and take notes just like in a church, as well as get an "exam" after each auditing session, which is simply someone looking at the person and noting his or her facial and body indicators since there are no e-meters.

"Students are twinned up again, where one is the student in session doing the objective processes and the other is the auditor, who asks the questions or give the commands and notes down the reactions and remarks from the student.  Rather than doing it back and forth like most, I had one guy run me through all of them.  I believe there were eleven, with number six having three parts.  Each objective process could last anywhere from a few minutes all the way to several days.

"They would include commands such as "Look around here and find something you could permit from going away," followed by "Did you keep it from going away?".  There were all kinds of them.  Objective number five includes walking around a table with the auditor saying "Touch that table.  Thank you.  Touch your [indicates body part]".  This would continue for hours and include sexual parts after a while (called aberrated body parts in the book).

"Overall it took me about two weeks to complete my Objectives, and then I had to run someone else on them, a guy named Todd.  What I didn't know at the time was that Todd was sexually abused by his step-father.  So later on into it I'm running him on Objective number five and start telling him "Touch that table. Thank you.  Touch your penis.  Thank you."  He winds up having a total breakdown, and the only thing I could do was listen at first.  Auditors aren't allowed to engage in conversation when the person is in session.  Plus, I wasn't a counselor or equipped to handle something like that.  I didn't care about the rules and tried to console him, to let him know it was okay to talk, that he was safe and that I wouldn't judge anything that happened.  After more than an hour, he did finally start to feel better and we took a break.  I turned in my session report form for that day and the course supervisor (not a trained counselor, just someone trained in overseeing students while they do their courses) said, "Whoa!" when he saw my notes, "Why don't you guys go take a walk and end off for the day." 

"That isn't an uncommon experience at Narconon.  Often people with substance abuse problems and addictions do have major traumatic events in their lives, and there really aren't people at Narconon equipped to help them through the breakdowns and deal with those situations.  All you have is another student and staff members who are only trained in Hubbard's works.  You can only hope to find someone with a level head who is a good listener.

"This is also how so many close friendships develop while being a student at Narconon, because it is usually the students who are relied on to get one another through the program.  They share common experiences and rely on each other for support.  That is where the bonds really start to strengthen.  It is also a big reason why a number of student graduates decide to stay on and train to become staff members (though most don't stay long) - to continue to be around people they've developed these relationships with, whether healthy or not.  It is often a form of codependency or transference."

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 09:05 »
Overall it took me about two weeks to complete my Objectives, and then I had to run someone else on them, a guy named Todd.  What I didn't know at the time was that Todd was sexually abused by his step-father.  So later on into it I'm running him on Objective number five and start telling him "Touch that table. Thank you.  Touch your penis.  Thank you."  He winds up having a total breakdown, and the only thing I could do was listen at first.  Auditors aren't allowed to engage in conversation when the person is in session.  Plus, I wasn't a counselor or equipped to handle something like that.  I didn't care about the rules and tried to console him, to let him know it was okay to talk, that he was safe and that I wouldn't judge anything that happened.  After more than an hour, he did finally start to feel better and we took a break.  I turned in my session report form for that day and the course supervisor (not a trained counselor, just someone trained in overseeing students while they do their courses) said, "Whoa!" when he saw my notes, "Why don't you guys go take a walk and end off for the day."

I'm glad you were there for him. At least, he knew you cared.

"That isn't an uncommon experience at Narconon.  Often people with substance abuse problems and addictions do have major traumatic events in their lives, and there really aren't people at Narconon equipped to help them through the breakdowns and deal with those situations.  All you have is another student and staff members who are only trained in Hubbard's works.  You can only hope to find someone with a level head who is a good listener.

So many people who went to Narconon have complained about this - about not being able to talk about their feelings and the lack of any tools to deal with how they are feeling. Individual, group and family counseling is a fundamental principle of substance abuse treatment.

"This is also how so many close friendships develop while being a student at Narconon, because it is usually the students who are relied on to get one another through the program.  They share common experiences and rely on each other for support.  That is where the bonds really start to strengthen.  It is also a big reason why a number of student graduates decide to stay on and train to become staff members (though most don't stay long) - to continue to be around people they've developed these relationships with, whether healthy or not.  It is often a form of codependency or transference."

This is a heart-breaker. These young people are clinging to each other, leave Narconon without any tools and relapse to the tune of $30,000 per person.

This is fantastic, Lucas. The individuals that have been there can paint the picture much better than anyone else.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 22:37 »
Thanks, mefree.

Someone tried to hack into my email today and I was forced to reset my password again.  I am coming closer to completing the book and have located some extremely damaging information to Narconon's credibility, and I have a running timeline of important events.  It is best to be understood as a whole, rather than posting bits and pieces though.

I will share this part, however, as stated by Gary Smith:

This in turn will produce Opinion Leader status for Narconon Arrowhead and the Narconon network.  The influence and power generated by these dissemination activities will then be channeled towards influencing the "rule makers" that regulate the world-wide drug rehabilitation industry to:

1. Reset the drug treatment standards and regulations that govern the operation and dissemination of rehabilitation and prevention services so they align with LRH's tech.

2. Create even more demand for result-driven solutions for the world's drug epidemic thus expanding the exportation of LRH drug rehabilitation technology even further into the fabric of society.

There is a lot more where this came from.  Their goal has never been to cooperate, it's always been to manipulate and control.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 22:42 »
Their goal has never been to cooperate, it's always been to manipulate and control.

Well, that's scientology in a nutshell.
-Dalai Lama

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 22:50 »
Thanks, mefree.

Someone tried to hack into my email today and I was forced to reset my password again.  I am coming closer to completing the book and have located some extremely damaging information to Narconon's credibility, and I have a running timeline of important events.  It is best to be understood as a whole, rather than posting bits and pieces though.

This in turn will produce Opinion Leader status for Narconon Arrowhead and the Narconon network.  The influence and power generated by these dissemination activities will then be channeled towards influencing the "rule makers" that regulate the world-wide drug rehabilitation industry to:

1. Reset the drug treatment standards and regulations that govern the operation and dissemination of rehabilitation and prevention services so they align with LRH's tech.

2. Create even more demand for result-driven solutions for the world's drug epidemic thus expanding the exportation of LRH drug rehabilitation technology even further into the fabric of society.

There is a lot more where this came from.  Their goal has never been to cooperate, it's always been to manipulate and control.

It doesnt surprise me that they tried to do this.  Watch your trash also.  Damn garbage pickers.  Cant wait to see the time line.  Keep up the good work.
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 00:34 »
 ooo}

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 16:19 »
Thanks, mefree.

You are really pushing their buttons, lol!! As always, do be careful, Luke.

PM ethercat and see if she knows any technical measures you can take to protect your email/website.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline OvertMotivator

• On the path to knowledge
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 16:53 »
<snip>..."This is also how so many close friendships develop while being a student at Narconon, because it is usually the students who are relied on to get one another through the program.  They share common experiences and rely on each other for support.  That is where the bonds really start to strengthen.  It is also a big reason why a number of student graduates decide to stay on and train to become staff members (though most don't stay long) - to continue to be around people they've developed these relationships with, whether healthy or not.  It is often a form of codependency or transference." </snip>

As students, yes. In my experience, it also depends on the kind of group of people who are there doing the program with you. I never got too close to other students, I guess it was just timing really. But I witnessed other students developing close, fast, intense friendships.
As staff, on my end (Div 1, aka "ethics"), I was encouraged NOT to be their "friends"... ever. Period. On one level, I understood this; my job was to go around and basically enforce dumb rules, the proverbial parent or headmistress. I couldn't risk favoritism.
But, on the other level, there were people I met there, students, whom I really wanted to step up to and be their friend. I saw so many people struggling, I just wanted to sit with them, give 'em a hug. I did develop fondess for so many... But was not allowed to show it. My bosses & co workers were constantly around, I had to maintain a tough bitchy shell showing no care.
I regret that now. I really do. I look back and wish I just said "Fuck em", and spent time with those who needed it most, the ones who struggled like I had. If I weren't an "Ethics Officer" everything would of been different.
Sorry for the rant  :-[[/font]

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 19:54 »
<snip>..."This is also how so many close friendships develop while being a student at Narconon, because it is usually the students who are relied on to get one another through the program.  They share common experiences and rely on each other for support.  That is where the bonds really start to strengthen.  It is also a big reason why a number of student graduates decide to stay on and train to become staff members (though most don't stay long) - to continue to be around people they've developed these relationships with, whether healthy or not.  It is often a form of codependency or transference." </snip>

As students, yes. In my experience, it also depends on the kind of group of people who are there doing the program with you. I never got too close to other students, I guess it was just timing really. But I witnessed other students developing close, fast, intense friendships.
As staff, on my end (Div 1, aka "ethics"), I was encouraged NOT to be their "friends"... ever. Period. On one level, I understood this; my job was to go around and basically enforce dumb rules, the proverbial parent or headmistress. I couldn't risk favoritism.
But, on the other level, there were people I met there, students, whom I really wanted to step up to and be their friend. I saw so many people struggling, I just wanted to sit with them, give 'em a hug. I did develop fondess for so many... But was not allowed to show it. My bosses & co workers were constantly around, I had to maintain a tough bitchy shell showing no care.
I regret that now. I really do. I look back and wish I just said "Fuck em", and spent time with those who needed it most, the ones who struggled like I had. If I weren't an "Ethics Officer" everything would of been different.
Sorry for the rant  :-[[/font]
Love your 'rant'! More, please!
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline OvertMotivator

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 20:06 »
Ah Mary, I have so many. A few come to mind right now, though... Sorry to hijack the thread here...
Although I had to keep my distance from students, not hang out with them, not show much affection nor care, I was the first one to be sent to quell a student's distress, especially if they were female.
One time, the I was in the Div1 office with the SDA, and we got word that a student was upset. I was instructed to go be with her, prevent her roomates from coming in.. in fact, prevent anyone non-staff from entering, period. The female intern there left gratefully as soon as I entered. I looked down, shook my head, and tried to talk to this young woman. She was beautiful, from a caring well-off family.  I tried to talk to her, but she clammed up. Her roomates kept coming in (understandably though), and I had to bark at them, sternly enforcing the whole "do not come in here" thing. The young girl started crying... and I felt helpless! Oh god, I felt so utterly clueless. I mean, I understood her pain, I did... But wasn't prepared for this. I was always sent to "calm down" the most troubled students, and never had training nor even a suggestion. My heart broke for them all, I truly wanted to help them, but I felt the weight of not only the expectations of the SDA & ED on my shoulders, but also their family. I knew their families had been told all lies. And here I am, to pick up the pieces... And not knowing what to do with them.
Anyway, I tried so hard to help, but she didn't want to talk to me. Finally, another staff member came in (She worked in WD) and was able to help... The girl opened up to her. But me, I was this "Ethics Robot". Someone that the students were to loathe.
There were so many other times I had to console girls like this. Sometimes it went OK, other times I desperately wished that things were different as they truly needed psychological help. But I knew... They were stuck there, as I had been, with no such help to be found.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 19:57 by ethercat »

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 21:31 »
Welcome! You're definitely not hijacking. More first-hand accounts are always a good thing. We would love to hear more of what you experienced and witnessed.

Offline OvertMotivator

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 22:46 »
Thanks, Cool. I'll get there eventually. Still alot of things that I guess my mind had filed away. I'm surprised at myself for even divulging all this. Us "Staff", at least the ones with an independently functioning brain, kinda go through alot as I am sure you are well aware of. Takes awhile to warm up :)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2013, 08:19 »
Ah Mary, I have so many. A few come to mind right now, though... Sorry to hijack the thread here...
Although I had to keep my distance from students, not hang out with them, not show much affection nor care, I was the first one to be sent to quell a student's distress, especially if they were female.
One time, the I was in the Div1 office with the SDA, and we got word that a student was upset. I was instructed to go be with her, prevent her roomates from coming in.. in fact, prevent anyone non-staff from entering, period. The female intern there left gratefully as soon as I entered. I looked down, shook my head, and tried to talk to this young woman. She was beautiful, from a caring well-off family.  I tried to talk to her, but she clammed up. Her roomates kept coming in (understandably though), and I had to bark at them, sternly enforcing the whole "do not come in here" thing. The young girl started crying... and I felt helpless! Oh god, I felt so utterly clueless. I mean, I understood her pain, I did... But wasn't prepared for this. I was always sent to "calm down" the most troubled students, and never had training nor even a suggestion. My heart broke for them all, I truly wanted to help them, but I felt the weight of not only the expectations of the SDA & ED on my shoulders, but also their family. I knew their families had been told all lies. And here I am, to pick up the pieces... And not knowing what to do with them.
Anyway, I tried so hard to help, but she didn't want to talk to me. Finally, another staff member came in (She worked in WD) and was able to help... The girl opened up to her. But me, I was this "Ethics Robot". Someone that the students were to loathe.
There were so many other times I had to console girls like this. Sometimes it went OK, other times I desperately wished that things were different as they truly needed psychological help. But I knew... They were stuck there, as I had been, with no such help to be found.

Wow! Thank you.... it amazes me that Narconon is allowed to operate at all. The lack of appropriate training...your comment sums it up, in a nutshell.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 20:00 by ethercat »

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10 »

I here you loud and clean OvertMotivator. YOU as a human being wanted to help others in their time of need,yet within whatever modality if in fact narconon has anything resembling a modality you came up short. Not that this was of you're doing,but nowhere were you given the tools to either personally cope with or give guidance to others.

I tend to steer away from the internal "Hats" and lingo used within the narconon staff structure as for me at least they are meaningless and confusing to the general public. Story after story bolsters that line of thought for me. Working within a failed business model no matter how much YOU want that business to succeed does not make it so in regard to narconon.

As you yourself may have similar experiences with say another individual going through addiction issues,I think that person to person support on an emotional level is very important. BUT that in no way makes you an authority on how to address very serious emotional,mental and or physical issues seen with people dealing with addictions. That is just my opinion. That is why we have real medical doctors. Psychiatrists,Psychologist , etc. These professionals are very important Imo in aided the individual in overcoming his or her addiction issues.

The physical withdrawal from drugs and alcohol is just one point in a regime catering towards  recovery. There in lies the fatal flaw within the Narconon modality. It is the INDIVIDUAL who from the day they say to themselves I, AM HELPLESS and I need help in my journey to stop the cycle of substance abuse. That thought alone is a massive step.

The individual has come to the intelligent conclusion they no longer WANT the life they have lived up until that point in time. That will to chance is the biggest step in their recovery imo. THEN and only then can professional,s within the field aid and support them on that journey to break the mental chains that got them to that point in their lives.

Now that this individual is READY to make a change from my perspective,that person and or their family has some serious choices to make. All involved want to help and be helped. They may be ashamed by the social stigma attached to addiction therefore do not ask a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL for guidance. They may use the internet. Once there they are overwhelmed by the choices. They are not savvy about what is a good or bad program. They DEPEND on their fellow man to assist them. As we know, on the internet is a plethora of adds stating "We can help" or our program has such and such success rate.

As we have come to find out, those claims are misleading. We never suspect that those referring our loved one to say a narconon are monetarily compensated in a fashion that out paces the rest of the industry. As we know the internet is riff with these referral sites. Many and I mean many are sit up by ex clients and or agents from Narconon.

Within that marketing strategy most google listing favor narconon in rankings.

Now we have a patient who is ready to heal and a family who is ready to pay for that healing. Seems we Americans have a mentality that a quick fix and online promises are the cure for the loved one. Pay the money and the problem will be addressed. Narconon and its agents understand this. The clients family is promised things that may be unobtainable.

Once the money and contracts have been signed and the licensing entities like narconon Int and ABLE have been contractually satisfied only then IT IS YOU whom attempts to 'Make good" on those promises.

Thing is YOU were never given the tools and materials to live up to those promises of rehabilitation. In some fashion an odd co-dependent scenario arises. Yourself the former student who is now staff and the new student both have some things in common. Thing is Imo this is where unbeknownst to YOU the cycle repeats itself. You find yourself in need of employment. You as a compassionate human being find yourself in a "Catch 22" situation. You want to help on a moral level,yet due to the narconon modality are not allowed to.

It is and NEVER will be your fault. Why? Well, for me at least this is an easy question to answer. Narconon is based on the writings of L. Ron Hubbard. That fact alone should bring comfort to you during those times of maybe shame and doubt arise within you. Never beat yourself up about it. The fault lies squarely at the feet of those whom subscribe to the writings of Mr. Hubbard.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 23:38 »
Lucas Catton shares his personal experiences with Scientology and Narconon in his just released book called
Have You Told All?: Inside My Time with Narconon and Scientology

Lucas Catton was a Scientologist for 12 years and contributed to many Scientology-related activities. He was introduced to the organization primarily through its rehabilitation program Narconon, and worked with them for over ten years in various capacities, including as President of their flagship facility in Oklahoma called Narconon Arrowhead. He sits in a unique position of having arguably more knowledge than anyone else who has publicly addressed the inner workings of the Narconon network and its connection to Scientology in the 21st century. He decided to speak out publicly following a series of deaths tied to Narconon in hopes to shed more light on its operations as well as to stop the harmful practices of the church of Scientology.

http://www.amazon.com/Have-You-Told-All-Scientology/dp/0615768725/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360785864&sr=8-1&keywords=Have+you+told+all+by+Lucas+Catton

http://www.haveyoutoldall.com

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2013, 00:25 »
Lucas Catton shares his personal experiences with Scientology and Narconon in his just released book called
Have You Told All?: Inside My Time with Narconon and Scientology

Lucas Catton was a Scientologist for 12 years and contributed to many Scientology-related activities. He was introduced to the organization primarily through its rehabilitation program Narconon, and worked with them for over ten years in various capacities, including as President of their flagship facility in Oklahoma called Narconon Arrowhead. He sits in a unique position of having arguably more knowledge than anyone else who has publicly addressed the inner workings of the Narconon network and its connection to Scientology in the 21st century. He decided to speak out publicly following a series of deaths tied to Narconon in hopes to shed more light on its operations as well as to stop the harmful practices of the church of Scientology.

http://www.amazon.com/Have-You-Told-All-Scientology/dp/0615768725/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360785864&sr=8-1&keywords=Have+you+told+all+by+Lucas+Catton

http://www.haveyoutoldall.com

Fantabulous!
-Dalai Lama

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2013, 01:39 »
Thank you!  I have bared my soul in this book - so be gentle!  Seriously though, I'd appreciate any and all honest feedback from those who read it, and if someone wants to order a signed copy for any reason, they can do it through www.haveyoutoldall.com.

I'm currently working on some media interest and hope to have some big news fairly soon!  In the meantime, thank you for all your support and what you do here.