Author Topic: Disconnection doesn't exist? Jonny Jacobsen article  (Read 1503 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Disconnection doesn't exist? Jonny Jacobsen article
« on: November 10, 2009, 20:36 »
I know the dark side of Scientology...I almost lost my friend to it

by Jonny Jacobsen
Published on 8 Nov 2009

I knew Scientology was in trouble when the media moved on from the usual silly gossip about its celebrity members to much darker, disturbing issues at the heart of the movement.

After a Paris court last month convicted several Scientologists and two organisations associated with the movement in France of organised fraud, and amid other investigations in France looking at a suicide and an alleged abduction, Oscar-winning film-maker Paul Haggis, a long-time member, quit Scientology.

Haggis, who wrote and directed Crash, denounced the practice of "disconnection", which sees members forced to cut off contact with anyone – even their loved ones – if they are deemed an enemy of Scientology.

In Edinburgh in the early 1990s, I found out just what the practice of disconnection could do to ordinary people when a close friend became involved in Scientology. It was an experience which marked me so profoundly that I have been tracking the movement ever since.

Let’s call my friend Hannah. I first got to know her when she moved into the house I was staying at in Edinburgh. An American in her early 20s, she was here to see a little of Europe between finishing college and starting up the career ladder.

She loved Scotland and spent the winter here, so we spent a lot of time together until spring when she packed her rucksack and took off to travel around the rest of Europe.

It was in Switzerland, I later learned, that she met some "really friendly people" who invited her to stay with them. They also introduced her to Scientology.

Read the rest: http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/i-know-the-dark-side-of-scientology-i-almost-lost-my-friend-to-it-1.931049

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
Re: Disconnection doesn't exist? Jonny Jacobsen article
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:56 »
It never stops hurting when I read stories like this. Jonny, and his friend's family, are very lucky to have recovered 'Hannah'. Perhaps when the morally bankrupt cult becomes also the financially bankrupt cult, and ceases to exist as an organization, we may all get our friends/relatives/loved ones back.

'til then;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis