Author Topic: Who is Dr. Donald Hoagland and is scientology going after him?  (Read 5751 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Does this post have anything to do with scientology?  I don't know...

I came across this site: http://donaldhoagland.wordpress.com/2009/08/01/warning-about-dr-donald-hoagland/

This is the only entry on the blog, aside from the "welcome to your new blog" page:

Warning about Dr. Donald Hoagland

This serves to WARN all parties about Dr. Donald Hoagland, psychologist and forensic expert.

This is a very litigious man.

He has sued over 25 people in Pasadena civil court down through the years, including his own attorneys.

Our advice is be very careful dealing with Dr. Donald Hoagland and only if you have to.

Donald Hoagland’s address is: 2810 Del mar Blvd. Suite 1
Pasadena, CA 91107
Explore posts in the same categories: Uncategorized

This entry was posted on August 1, 2009 at 12:10 am and is filed under Uncategorized. You can subscribe via RSS 2.0 feed to this post's comments.

The article is tagged with the following:
Tags: donald hoagland, dr. donald hoagland, phd, psychologist, psychologists, pasadena psychologists, forensics, shrinks, fuller seminary, medical malpractice, scientology, commission on human rights, child psychologist, lawyer, pasadena restaurants, pasadena court, attorneys, pasadena attorneys, earthquakes, major, cal tech, pasadena community college, obama, iraq war, health care, universal health care, focus on the family, james dobson, michael jackson, hoagland

Now this certainly sounds like scientology, in fact, the blog page itself reminds me of the drivel on http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org, a known scientology website built to slander lots of scientology critics.

I searched and found this: http://schwablearningforumarchive.greatschools.net/thread/207.html

The critical component of the independent eval was the record review (we also were blessed with the best in the state, Dr. Donald Hoagland in Pasadena). He pinpointed all the tests administered incorrectly by district staff over the years, and failure to address the lacking skills in the goals, objectives and the placements. His expert assessment and record review outlined the district's failure to provide FAPE. His record review cost as much as his testing, but we got it all back. We are glad we settled and our daughter is ultimately getting what she needs, but we are a little disappointed we didn't get the chance to see Dr. Hoagland testify.

I gather from reading this that Dr. Hoagland gives expert testimony in learning disabilities.

He is also listed on the International Dyslexia Association, as an advocate and a psychologist: http://www.dyslexia-ca.org/referrals/Referrals90272.html

I don't know if this is pertinent, but it also seems he gave a $250 donation to the Los Angeles City Ethics Commission.

I have not found any direct links tying him to scientology, in any way, so this post is all speculation.

So is scientology going after him?  I don't know but it looks like they might be.  I wonder if he knows about the wordpress page.

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Alp

• Joker and Degrader
Re: Who is Dr. Donald Hoagland and is scientology going after him?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:47 »
That seems odd on a couple of counts. Who is this guy? Why does he have a WordPress page with no entries on it (barring the 'threat' entry)?
Religion is free. Scientology is neither.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 13:47 »
From what I've gathered, he's a psychologist in Pasadena, who specializes in children with learning disabilities, such as dyslexia, ADD, and ADHD, and is somewhat respected for his efforts, via expert testimony, to get the school system there to facilitate these children, when parents have been told they need to seek private schooling for their children.  Apparently there is a law that says the public school system must accomodate them, but the schools don't always obey it. 

The blog isn't his; it was started by whoever it is that has a grudge against him.  The reason for the grudge isn't clear from the blog.  To me, it's very reminiscent of the way the cult tries to discredit their critics, with little actual fact; and the subject matter is something the cult has their hands in, so I was just wondering if this was related in some way.  I don't have enough info to say for sure, one way or the other.

Narconon Reviews

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 18:52 »
I believe it is an attempt to have his name appear high in Google search results, thus any new patients or clients or parents wanting info about him would probably be treated to a libelous screed.

It SOUNDS like Fair Game, but until we know more, that's all I'd be willing to say...besides this: if you enter "scientology" into a search engine, there will be VERY, VERY few positive hits that were not published by Scientology itself, or paid shills for Scientology. In fact, I have had no success in finding a provably independent positive comment about Scientology online that was not a trolling attempt to get activists all het up. :)

Since they seem to like tactics like this one (smearing a professional online pseudonymously on a non-fact-checked and reference-free blog), my assumption is that they really hate it that their name is mud globally to anyone with both possession of a computer and the basic skills needed to enter a search term into any of the major search engines, and then click links, and then read.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 20:48 »
Very strange and lacking of any details around the litigation. 
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 00:29 »
I imagine the litigation referred to is probably that against the various schools which don't comply with the law. 

I've found this, which may, or may not, shed some light on the subject:

Applied Scientology In Public Schools?
by Craig Branch

Prayer in school, explicit Bible references in textbooks, and even the Bible itself were once a staple in American education, but no longer. Christians often bemoan the fact that the promotion of Christianity is now banned from the public school arena, due to the current Supreme Court interpretation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

Yet more and more Christians are beginning to understand the negative consequences of trying to reopen the door for the promotion of religion in schools. With the exponential growth of pluralism in our culture, especially with New Age influence, allowing religion or spirituality in the classrooms could have significantly deleterious effects. An example of this is the recent controversy that surfaced in California, where schoolteachers who are Scientologists have been using Scientology's Applied Scholastics' materials in their classrooms.

Linda Smith, a Scientologist and special education teacher, applied to start a charter school, K-8th grade, in the Los Angeles district and planned to use Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard's materials as a basis...

more at http://www.watchman.org/sci/appliedscientology.htm
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 15:13 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews

Raven

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 16:06 »
As a dyslexic this is starting to wear on me.  Morton's book about cruise talked about cruise claims about being "cured" by scientology. There is not cure!!  It can be worked with and managed, but that is it.  I was diagnosed very late in the game so mine is far worse than it would be normally. 

Anyway tldr sci can not fix dyslexia.  Its not a disease it is what it is a workable

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 19:43 »
As a dyslexic this is starting to wear on me.  Morton's book about cruise talked about cruise claims about being "cured" by scientology. There is not cure!!  It can be worked with and managed, but that is it.  I was diagnosed very late in the game so mine is far worse than it would be normally. 

Anyway tldr sci can not fix dyslexia.  Its not a disease it is what it is a workable

Here is an old leak from a scientologist mailing list (which is now defunct due to leaks, I believe), archived here: http://www.religio.de/publik/arsreview/101196.html

"From: mobrien@earthlink.net (Michael O'Brien)

"The term dyslexia is defined in the Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing and Allied Health as 'impairment of ability to comprehend written language, due to a central lesion.' A lesion is defined by Funk & Wagnalls as 'Any abnormal or harmful change in the structure of an organ or tissue.'

"I've posted to TNX before on the pseudoscientific character of psychiatry and its terms, and the term 'dyslexia' is definitely one of these terms. 'Dyslexia' is claimed by the psychs to have a physical cause because they MUST make such a claim, or it's no longer within the field of psychiatry. If it has no physical cause, you don't need a medical doctor, which psychs are, to handle it. The only problem is that there is no proof that dyslexia has a physical cause. Only 'theories.' Psychs haven't got a clue.

"To understand the significance of the word 'dyslexia' in our modern world, it is important to understand the way the psychs work. They are essentially running a con game -- all that they are and all the income they make depends solely and entirely on how effective they are as con men.

"Part of their smoke and mirrors is the development of resounding Latin and Greek labels which create the apparency that a palpable pathological condition exists when there is actually nothing there at all except perhaps a confusion. They then conduct studies which pretend to develop epidemiological statistics of the incidence of this made-up disease, and voila, you have a REAL disease. But the stats are ALL FALSE. I know, I've researched enough of their studies to see how they do it.

"It would be best if Scientologists refused to use the word 'dyslexia' and whenever it comes up, nail it, hard. Since dyslexia is defined as arising from a physical cause, the person purporting to label a child with dyslexia has the burden to prove that the child is brain-damaged or otherwise physically damaged in some way. Failing that, the use of the term 'dyslexia' is inappropriate.

Please don't be too insulted; these scientologists, forgive them, they know not what they do.   :)

Narconon Reviews

Raven

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 13:45 »
no worried I know sci is messed up lol

I also love all the earthlink email accounts they have

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 21:13 »
Well, now this is interesting.  I found this quoted in a comment on a Travolta article on the CBS site.  This is from the CCHR site:
http://www.cchr.org/press_room/press_releases/Just_Sprinkle_A_Little_Kiddy-Cocaine_On_Your_Childs_Applesauce.html
CCHR is critical of Special Education under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act, which has become a gravy train for psychiatrists and psychologists diagnosing children with ADHD or "learning disorders" and hooking these kids on drugs. Of the approximate $50 billion spent annually on Special Education, an estimated $29 billion covers education for subjective "mental disorders," when the law was originally intended for children with physical handicaps such as autism, speech impediments, blindness or other physical disabilities.

Neither ADHD nor any "learning disability" has objective scientific criteria confirming their existence.

This still may all be a coincidence, but the "smear" page is still there. 
   Narconon Reviews