Author Topic: Narconon success rate study from 1979, other studies  (Read 4968 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Narconon success rate study from 1979, other studies
« on: December 17, 2010, 15:40 »
Apparently, there is an existing Narconon success rate study, conducted by the "Berlin Senate's Division of Education, Youth, and Sport" in 1979.

The following is from the "continued on 4b" part of this article called, simply, Narconon, from the St. Petersburg Times, on December 28, 1981:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=RPoNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RXsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6687%2C4378405

The West Berlin claim

Narconon's booklet claims that its rehabilitation center in West Berlin "has been funded for years by the Berlin Senate and is considered a valuable asset to the community."

Not anymore, says Dr. Wolfgang Heckmann, a psychologist attached to the Berlin Senate's Division of Education, Youth, and Sport.

He said funds were cut off in 1979 after a Senate investigation found that only about 10 percent of Narconon clients were successfully purged of their drug addiction, not the 80 percent Narconon claimed.

The investigation was prompted by a Stuttgart-based consumer protection agency that discovered Narconon's close tie to Scientology and reported it to the German press and government.

Ingo Heinemann, a Stuttgart attorney and general secretary of the consumer agency, said one of Narconon's graduates, who went on to become a Narconon staffer, died in  public lavatory of a drug overdoes.  Heinemann said the Berlin government paid Narconon $600,000 for its services.

Heckmann said Narconon still operates in Berlin, "but it is no longer accepted as a treatment program."

The article also states:

In addition to the information contained in the promotional booklet, The Times' investigation has turned up other facts that counter Narconon's claims of effectiveness and widespread acceptance.

For example:

* In Los Angeles, the California Department of Health study recommended that the state stop giving money to a Narconon halfway house.

The 1974 report said Narconon's detoxification measures lacked proper medical supervision, were "potentially lethal" and that many practices in use were religious in nature rather than rehabilitative.

The report labeled an 86 percent cure rate claimed by Narconon as "simply not true."  It also said that Narconon staffers refused to make all of its records available.

Smith denied that Narconon's use of megavitamins, with medical supervision, is hazardous.  "Any nutritionist can tell you it doesn't matter how many vitamins you take as long as they are balanced," he said.

"We don't just bring someone in here and start pumping vitamins.  They get physicals and we see what they are lacking and we supply the vitamins.  It's a hell of a lot safer than methadone."

After the report, Smith said, Narconon decided not to seek further state funds because of the "paper work" involved.

* In Delaware, a Narconon prison program paid for by the state and federal governments was terminated in 1976 after an evaluation questioned the program's effectiveness, according to James Kane, management analyst with the Delaware Criminal Justice Planning Commission.

The study found that inmates who had completed at least one Narconon course had higher arrest rates following release than inmates who had not completed any Narconon courses.

* In Minnesota, a state-financed Narconon program at the St. Cloud Correctional Facility was halted abruptly in September after an investigation, prison superintendent Bill McRee said.  McRee said the program was suspended without notice and terminated two weeks later, but he would not comment on the reason.

The Twin Cities Reader, a Minneapolis weekly newspaper, reported that the action followed a raid on Narconon offices during which prison officials discovered Church of Scientology literature that was apparently being used in Narconon courses.

* In Michigan, funds for a Narconon prison program were cut off in April 1980 after a number of scathing reports by prison psychologist John Hand.

"As a clinical psychologist, I found that the techniques they were using were more than suspect and were not really doing the job in terms of treating people," Hand told The Times.

Hand called the program "a scam, a high-priced con game," and said it is a money-making and recruitment front for the Church of Scientology.

After front-page reports of Hand's findings appeared in the Detroit News, the state's Department of Corrections cut off funds for the program.  "Although the program was not considered helpful, it was not concluded as harmful," a department press release said at the time.

Narconon's Smith termed Hand's assessment of the program "bull."  He said Hand had "a vested interest" in scuttling the Narconon program so he could establish his own drug abuse program.

"He had his own program," Smith said.  "Narconon got his program."

The findings of the Berlin study are available here in English: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/sources/reports/westberlin_en.htm
German here: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/sources/reports/dokumentation-narconon-gutachten.pdf

Narconon Exposed says:
Findings of the accompanying state inspection of the activities of Narconon, e.V.

This report was written for the city of (then West) Berlin in xxxxxx by Dr. Wolfgang Heckmann, a psychiatrist who served as Drugs Delegate of the State of Berlin (i.e. the city's senior adviser on drug issues). At issue was whether Narconon should be supported financially by the Berlin government. Heckmann recommended against this, citing a range of problems with Narconon's methods and its poor success rate, which he calculated from its own figures as being little more than 10% of clients. Another striking finding made by Heckmann was the degree to which Narconon used Scientology practices, including the use of the Scientology electrometer or E-meter. (Compare this with the 1974 report commissioned by the California Department of Health; many of the issues raised are identical.)

Apparently, although the article doesn't mention it specifically, there was a study done in Michigan as well, which John Hand participated in.

Narconon Exposed
has this:
Report of Follow-Up Study on Narconon and RAP cases 7 April 1980

After a newspaper expose of Narconon in Michigan's Ionia State Prison, the Department of Corrections produced this study report which concluded that "graduates of the Narconon program do not do as well as our [prison] population in general". The Ionia programme was subsequently terminated.

Here are the findings of this study: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/sources/reports/ionia.htm

The Delaware study that found "that inmates who had completed at least one Narconon course had higher arrest rates following release than inmates who had not completed any Narconon courses" would be very nice to have also. 

||||9000||||

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Narconon success rate study from 1979, other studies
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 16:11 »
The Twin Cities Reader article mentioned above can be read in text format here:
http://www.icsahome.com/logon/elibdocview_new.asp?Subject=The+Narconon+Sting
or in the format of the original article (in PDF) here:
http://www.anti-scientologie.ch/second-chance/thecompiler-newspaper_1981-12-21.pdf
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 23:59 »
Nice find.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:14 »
Thanks.  Here is a post on OCMB in 2001 that deals with the success rate also (bolding is mine):
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=323

I post this anonymously because of actual threats I have received from former bosses and die-hard Scientologists at the Narconon facility I used to work at. Narconon is a scam run by the Co$ to raise money and manipulate and take advantage of desperate, easily-victimized drug addicts by subjecting them to basic Scientology teachings and getting them to join the Co$. Narconon claims to have a 80% success rate. In the 7 months I was involved with one of 2 Narconon facilities in California, over 80 people attended and graduated from the program. I personally know that 71 of them relapsed. Many who relapse return to Narconon, where they are put on a degrading and punishing "ethics cycle" where they are forced to perform manual labor in order to "make up damage" to the Narconon facility and rejoin the group. Relapsed addicts who return are not only put to work, but subject to even more intense efforts to get them to join the Co$ and be brainwashed by the Narconon "counselors". The facility, only licensed for a little over 32 patients by the State of California, had almost 50 because of all the relapsed graduates who returned. The facility was overcrowded and in violation of fire and health codes. Pressed for time, the kitchen staff would defrost meat in the bathtubs while the bathroom was still in use by students. Whole rooms had nothing in them but beds from wall to wall, cramming students in. There was minimal staff supervision because staff members were totally outnumbered. On-site drug use was rampant and students were constantly getting high in the facility or in the surrounding neighborhood after escaping unnoticed. The safety and well being of students was endangered when non-commercially licensed and uninsured staff members would drive students around in uninsured facility automobiles for program-sponsored events. To deal with the lack of space at the actual facility, students were placed in temporarily rented apartments that were far from staff supervision (2 of these apartments being several miles away from the actual facility). State authorities were unaware of these ad-hoc facilities and no license had been granted for them.

Many Narconon graduates at facilities world-wide go on to work at the facility. This is often because the upper-level Scientologist counselors who run the facilities convince them they can't afford to go out in to the world or they will inevitably return to drug use. Their only chance at sobriety is to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day with minimal contact with family, vacation time, free time or personal time at Narconon. Narconon, the "couselors" say, saved their life, so the patient must "repay their debt" by working for Narconon. They are paid $50 a week to start, and raises come only after they pass through various courses given at the local Co$ organization. "Counselors" have no formal training when it comes to first aid, drug abuse treatment, medicine, counseling. The only so-called formal training they have comes from the Co$ and the fact that all employees at the Narconon facility were themselves recent graduates.
Addicts and their families pay over $22,000 to go to Narconon after being convinced through deception and lies that the program will save their life or that of their addicted love one. A significant portion of this $22,000 goes to the Co$ as payment for classes staff members are required to take. Furthermore, thousands of dollars out of that $22,000 goes to purchasing books from the Association for Better Living and Education (ABLE), itself an arm of Scientology and the "publisher and copyright owner" of the books Narconon uses (books that are all LRH's teachings).

Narconon "students" (the name used to refer to patients) are subject to an unproven, quack medical practice of the purification-rundown, where they sit in a sweltering sauna for hours on end, taking harmful doses of vitamins, minerals and niacin (a very harmful substance in the amount Narconon makes its "students" consume).

Never in my time at this Narconon facility was there every a licensed medical professional on staff, apart from a registered nurse who had gone through the program herself after becoming addicted to prescription medications she stole from work before coming to Narconon. This nurse, the facility's only licensed medical professional, relapsed 3 times during the course of my employment at the facility. She was far from the only staff member to relapse. Both students and staff members were constantly getting kicked out or fired because of drug use, inappropriate sexual conduct between staff members and students, or being deemed "suppressive" by hardcore Co$ staff members after, say, a staff member missing a day of work, showing up late, or refusing to embrace forced Co$ teachings.

While at Narconon my job involved public relations for the facility and recruitment of new "students". I was told by my bosses to lie to any and all people who called the facility seeking help for themselves or loved ones.

We would lie about insurance coverage (We would tell people we knew for a fact that their insurance carrier would cover our program when in fact, such carrier had never, EVER agreed to cover the Narconon program because that health insurance company had doctors smart enough to recognize Narconon as the scam it is). So, innocent people would pay tens of thousands of dollars, sure that their insurance providor would reimburse them at a later date. That reimbursement would never come but by then Narconon and Co$ already had their money. We would lie about our success rate, basing the statistics of a 70%-80% success rate on decades old studies done by obscure European research firms. In actuality, there was no record of the firms conducting such studies of ever having existed. But, go to the website of any Narconon facility worldwide and they will taut this 70%-80% success rate. I would extoll our success rate to callers while at the same time knowing that well over 90% of students I had seen graduate from the program had relapsed.
We would constantly hear of graduates relapsing when their families would call mere days after the students graduation, devastated that they had already returned to drug use. I personally can recall the names of 6 students who graduated and became staff members... lasting less than a week as staff before relapsing. Almost all students who attempted to return home after graduation relapsed as well.

These unfortunate people are not statistics to me. I can recite the names of each and every one of these Narconon victims who I saw come in to the program desperate for help, only to be taken advantage of, abused, and manipulated.

Narconon tauts this high success rate but the staff knows it is not true. In typical C0$ fashion, however, they deny the facts and make themselves believe in the lies that best serve their agenda... recruitment and fundraising for the Co$ by taking advantage of drug addicts and their families.

Even the Narconon facilities are constantly sending students-turned-staff back and forth to one another for because of relapses. Narconon Southern California had to send their "Ethics Director" to the Northern Califoria facility after he relapsed. Narconon Chillocco's Senior Case Supervisor (the upper-level Scientologist who determines what Scientology courses individual students will take, in what order, and how) relapsed and came to the So. Calif. facility to redo her program. Narconon Nor. Calif's Intake Director (the lead person responsible for bringing in new "students") relapsed and apparently had a sexual relationship with a juvenile "student" (Narconon Nor. Calif. is the only Narconon facility licensed to treat juveniles as well as adults), and was sent to Narconon So. Calif. to redo his program. These staff members, supposedly among the most advanced, most accomplished, most experienced, most highly trained graduates and staff members of Narconon still could not stay sober! And because of their staunch dedication to the Co$, they were sent to another facility after their relapse (where they would avoid embarrassment and so that the students at the facility they used to work for would be unaware of what had occurred) where they would quickly go through their re-attempt at the program and get hired at a different Narconon facility.

Narconon is truly a criminal enterprise. It sickens me to know that I was responsible for bringing in decent people who sought out my guidance for help at the most desperate times of their lives to an evil organization like Narconon - an organization who's sole purpose was to defraud, manipulate, then brainwash these drug addicts and their families to the extent that the addict would get suckered in to accepting the Co$ and LRH's insane teachings. Lives and families are torn apart at Narconon.
When I left Narconon in an argument with my bosses because of my gradually becoming more and more aware of what a criminal conspiracy Narconon was and is, I was threatened by these Scientologist bosses of mine. For weeks after I left they tracked me down and left threatening messages on my answering machine. Despite such threats and the evil we all know Scientology can inflict upon those who it deems its enemies (especially people like myself who were on the inside of their tactics and teachings), I had to post this message here and share my experiences at and knowledge of Narconon in the hopes that it will keep atleast 1 person from going to this facility were they previously considering it.

There is also this post from Phil Scott to ARS:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/3be242aece80efc5?dmode=source&output=gplain
Gary Smith, former ED Narconon US was not helped enough not to relapse
to heroin after completing OT3. Neither was Virgil Workman, the
Narconon reg. throughout most of the 80's, who OD'd after more than a
decade on Narconon staff..

Gary's wife, Debbie, left him and went off to eat burritoes and smoke
pot  in Cerritos with a Narconon student. The nicest people do.

Neither was Kim Hopkins, who was sent off to get more money for the
program, but drowned in a swimming pool. Free service equal free fall,
you know.

Frank Giampetro died of a suicide overdose. Hopeless about getting off
drugs, and hopeless about being gay.

Neither was Nick D'Ottavio whose parents sent him to Los Angeles from
New York and who did heroin the whole time he was here. 

Neither was Rick Hays, one of the few peopleto actually attest to
completing the Narconon program, yet relapsed to heroin thereafter. Of
course, he completed his staff contract first.

Casey Green, also former Narconon staff, finished OT3 and shot a Santa
Barbara County Sheriff who was breaking down the door to his house as
part of a cocaine sales investigation.

Ben Gibson gave up Scientology for homosexual affairs with little
boys. Progress perhaps, but not exactly help.  Doesn't do drugs
though.

Jim Clemmens wasn't helped, although he slept with the Executive
Director, while the Senior C/S broken in the windows of his car with a
baseball bat. Went back to drugs, went back to jail.  That was Jeanne
Jurich, budding starlet and lead in "The Jeanne Jurich" Story. Ask her
about how she put hot spatulas on her nipples.

Mike Brock wasn't helped with his alcohol problem. He was hit in the
head with a baseball bat by the Dir of Inspections & Reports, Steve
Elkins. Narconon settled the case some time in 1984-1985.

Steve Elkins wasn't helped either. But he set the all-time record for
Purif redos after relapses. He was finally recruited for staff to save
his parents money. He was "fired" after hitting Brock in the head with
the baseball bat.

The minors who were illegal residential students weren't helped
either. Mike Brock was buying liquor for them.

Here's a link to the whole thread: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/browse_thread/thread/8da66ab50e11c14a?tvc=2&q=%22narconon%22+group%3Aalt.religion.scientology

Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer as corroboration for Phil's post. 
   Narconon Reviews

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:08 »
Heartbreaking and very similar to what David Love has reported from his experience at Narconon Trois-Rivieres.

The moment an addict reaches out for help is a crucial one and possibly life-changing. It it is an extremely vulnerable time for the addict and family. In many cases, the odds are not in favor of a successful recovery for a variety of reasons. 

Unfortunately, Narconon is part of an organization whose definition of ethics is all about their survival - a survival in which anything goes to maintain it, including dishonesty and deception. The relapse rates are well-known within the organization, but they must carry on for their survival while people continue to get hurt, while others in a position of authority are lied to and do nothing.

Will the Canadian complaints and investigations make a difference? I hope so.

Scientology glossary and earlier discussion about ethics in scientology
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,36.0.html

Ask the Scientologist: What Judges and Prosecutors Need to Know
http://askthescientologist.blogspot.com/2009/06/what-judges-and-prosecutors-need-to.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 14:33 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:12 »
This appears to be a complaint letter written by the same individual in the post above.  I will just quote the parts that relate to the success rates (and claims of success rates) but there is plenty more of interest in the letter, with some great advice from poster Don Carlo at the end of the thread.

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4363
Even more disturbing than Narconon Southern California's legal violations to the addict and alcoholic are their patterns of lies, deception and ethical misconduct. Narconon claims to have as evidenced on their website and literature an 80% success rate in rehabilitating addicts and getting them sober. This success rate is unfounded and untrue. It is based on 2 studies that were apparently conducted in Sweden and Spain around two decades ago.

According to Narconon:
A. An independent 1981 Swedish study of 13 Narconon graduates showed that 76% of those that completed the Narconon Program were still drug free two years later.
B. An independent Spanish study of 50 Narconon graduates was conducted in Mar/Apr 1987 by "Tecnicos Asociados de Investigacion y Marketing" (TAIM) for the Ministry of Health and Social Services and showed that 70% of the graduates were drug-free two years later. It was headed by Dr. Esquerdo (105); TAIM, PDAL, 28007, Madrid, Spain. TAIM's telephone number is, according to John Duff of Narconon International, +34 1 273-7400.
According to John Duff, Narconon commissioned the first two studies, so it seems to be slightly dishonest to claim that they are the product of "independent" research. It should also be noted that TAIM, the research organization mentioned in the second study, is not at the address given, and not listed in any current Spanish phone directories or commercial directories. The phone number given by John Duff seems also to be out of use, so TAIM has either ceased trading or moved from the Madrid area.

The name of the organization responsible for the Swedish study is not known. Another curious thing about the Swedish statistics is that with 13 subjects there is no way you can get "76%" (76.9% would be the correct figure).

The existence of the latter study has not been yet corroborated independently, but it seems odd that a program primarily intended to eliminate drug use should instead be evaluated on its education and disciplinary benefits.

Nothing is said about the source, duration or methodology used for any of the studies.

A "Swedish" and "Spanish" study is also quoted in the section on Narconon in the book "What is Scientology", giving amazingly accurate statistics for the programs effectiveness (84.6% and 78.37% and respectively). It is not clear whether this reference is to the same or to different studies. Scientology spokesman Andrew Milne (formerly at milne@crl.com) claims that these are the one-year statistics. Strangely, Narconon does not appear to have supplied Prof. Folke Sjoqvist with a copy of the supposed Swedish study when in November 1997 he wrote a report on Narconon for the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare.

In the 8 months I spent at Narconon Southern California, I witnessed about 60 clients enter the program. The vast majority of these clients relapsed either while enrolled at Narconon or soon after graduation. In fact, several of the staff members relapsed while working at Narconon and Narconon Southern California admitted for treatment numerous staff members from the Narconon facilities in Northern California and Oklahoma who had relapsed while working at those facilities.

Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:30 »
Heartbreaking and very similar to what David Love has reported from his experience at Narconon Trois-Rivieres.

Yes, it is sad, especially that there are so many sources that tell similar stories.  To me, much like in the ex-member stories, that speaks to the truth of the individual stories, and shows a pattern of negligent and sometimes criminal behavior that permeates the Narconon organization. 

Narconon Reviews

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 10:54 »
Good digging, Ethercat! This is damning stuff.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 18:00 »
Good digging, Ethercat! This is damning stuff.

Thanks, Mary.  Coming from you, that means a lot.  You're a pretty good digger yourself.   ^*-->|

I've found some more on the success rate.

http://ulf.ing-steen.se/~ulf/sammanstallning/filing.pdf
It may be prudent to mention that Sjöqvist noted in his report that a representative from Narconon (Håkan Larsson) had tried to gain illegal access to his office at work , through his secretary in an effort to find out what the National Board of Health and Wellfare had given him with his assignment.

There are only one official Swedish evaluation on results from the Narcononprogram , the “Gerdmanreport”, May 1981(app 21)

Despite the fact that the method used in this evaluation has serious flaws due to the fact that the investigator was not allowed to personally interview the clientgroup or to do any investigations of his own, ( done by Narconon staff) results were discouraging to the group in question. Only 14 of the 16 individuals completed the program ,13 of these were contacted a year after completion. 7 had relapsed in drugabuse , 2 did not know if they relapsed or not, 4 said they had no relaps. This leads to the following conclusion:

77% did not complete the treatment.

50% of those who completed the program , relapsed within a year to drugabuse (14% could not give an answer on relaps)

6,6% of completers stated that they did not relapse on the followup

( 6,6% is in gross in accordance to spontaneous withdrawel from drugaddiction – eg without any treatment or professional support )

In official Narconondocuments and scientology documents (Ron the Humanitairian http://drugrehab.lronhubbard.org/page50.htm) it is stated that 84,6% of the clients from Narconon are drugfree one year after completion of treatment. This information is thus grossly and deliberate false.

Fraud and falsification of documents and information , has occurred on a number of occasions in information materials from Narconon (app 26).
Ulf Brettstam
Assistant Chiefpsychiatrist
Psychiatric clinic at
The Hoegland Hospital
Eskjoe

I believe this is a scanned copy of the study mentioned above: http://ulf.ing-steen.se/~ulf/sammanstallning/Gerdmanrapporten.doc
(Yes, it's a .doc file, but the pages consist of images of typed pages.)

Also from Ulf Brettstam: http://ulf.ing-steen.se/~ulf/sammanstallning/NARCONON%20FAQ.doc (yes, this is actually a .doc file)
FAQ: What sort of studies exist to substantiate the effectiveness of the Narconon program.

Narconon says in its literature that there have been two studies done of the effectiveness of their program [NAR1989]:

A. An independent 1981 Swedish study of 13 Narconon graduates, that showed that 76% of those that completed the Narconon Program were still drug free two years later.

B. An independent Spanish study 50 Narconon graduates was conducted in Mar/Apr 1987 by "Tecnicos Asociados de Investigacion y Marketing" (TAIM) for the Ministry of Health and Social Services and showed that 70% of the graduates were drug-free two years later.

Very little is known about these studies.  _No_ study about the effectiveness of Narconon can be located using the computerized bibliographic search mechanisms avialiable to me through a major university library.  Narconon International claims to have copies of the TAIM study "on file" (they say nothing about the "Swedish" study), but has not responded to requests for publication data.
    Anyway, nowhere in the material supplied me by Narconon International is it claimed that these studies are "published", "peer-reviewed" or "scientific".

According to John Duff of Narconon International, both studies was commisioned by Narconon, so Narconon seems to be dishonest about the nature of these studies by claiming in their literature that they are "independent". The claim that the TAIM study was "for" the "Ministry of Health and Social Services" also seem to be deceptive.

John Duff of Narconon International ha informed me that the Spanish study was headed by Dr. Esquerdo (105); TAIM, PDAL, 28007, Madrid, Spain, and that TAIM can be reached on the following Madrid phone number: +34 1 273-7400. An organization with the name "TAIM", "Tecnicos Asociados de Investigacion y Marketing", or anything similar is not at the address given, and is not listed in any current Spanish phone directories or commercial directories.
    The phone number given by John Duff seems also to be out of use, so TAIM has either ceased trading or changed its name and location.

The name of the organization responsible for the Swedish study is not known.  Another curious thing about the Swedish statistics is that with 13 subjects there is no way you can get "76%".

[76.9% would be correct. TH]

Nothing is said about the source, duration or methodology used for either studies.

A "Swedish" and "Spanish" study is also quoted in the section on Narconon in the book "What is Scientology", giving amazingly accurate statistics for the programs effectiveness (84.6% and    78.37% and respectively).  It is not clear whether this reference is to the same or to different studies.

[These are claimed to be the 1-year stats by milne@crl.com. TH]

On the subject of studies the Oklahoma State Board of Mental Health concluded that:
    "No scientifically well-controlled independent, long-term outcome studies were found that  directly and clearly establish the effectiveness of the Narconon program for the treatment of      chemical dependency and the more credible evidence establishes Narconon's program is not effective." [OSB1992]

Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 18:22 »
And this: http://ulf.ing-steen.se/~ulf/sammanstallning/app26.pdf

Community of Huddinge
OFFICE OF WELLFARE PM 040.285-65
Olle Pettersson 1988-10-20
Board of Wellfare

Sendlist:
Minister of wellfare
National Board of Health and Wellfare
Lst Stockholm
Nils Bejerot
Karolinska Institutet

About informationmaterial from Narconon
This office intends to instruct the board of wellfare a report on supervision from the Narconon  facility at Vårby Farm in december. During this process this office discovered som material that we want to disclose prior to the supervision report.

Falsification regarding statement from Nils Bejerot

During the month of May a number of documents from Narconons facility on Fålasjö was recieved. Receptians was named ”Politicians , drugrehabilitaters, Socialworkers” ( app 1)

On document was designed like a statement and was signed by Nils Bejerot March 21 1988. The letterhead was stating Karolinska Institute , faculty of social medicine. It was later discovered that the content of this document in detail and as a whole , could be found in a letter written by Nils Bejerot 8 years earlier July 28 1980 (app 2) Tne only differense between the two documents were that some parts from the earlier document were left out in the latter. The office of wellfare asked Nils Bejerot in a letter 1988-09-27 if he was the author of the document dated March 21 1988.

Through his co-worker Anna-Stina Eklund, he stated 1988-10-10 , that he had not visited  Narconon Huddinge March 21 1988 and had not wrote or signed the document from the same date. Through Anna-Stina Eklund he also stated that he had no intention of reporting the matter to the police.

Statements regarding a Spanish investigation

From the Narconon material februari 1988 , adressed to ”The Minister of Wellfare, politicians, drugrehabilitators,socialworkers” a ”professional investigation….made in Spain” and a draft material from TAIM is included (app 3)

In Narconon news (unnumbered issue before nr 2 1988) it states on the fronpage ”Official investigation of Narconon in Spain – 78% rehabilitated” and inside the paper it is stated that the investigation was conducted by initiative of the spanish government (app 4)

This office wrote the spanish authorities for information in this matter (app 5)

The delegation of the national plan against drugs from the Spanish government has through its member , Pilar Alvarez answered the office (app 6)

The office made a quick translation of this material (app 7)

The Spanish delegation states that neither the government nor any other public authority has in any way supported Narconon. No investigation has been ordered , commented or requested by the government or any other public authority. Nor has either authority expressed any confidence of the results from his investigation, due to the fact that selection and interwievs has been conducted by Narconon itself and results are deemed totally unreliable.

Inga-Britt Ebers

Olle Pettersson
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Intelligence

• Hill 10 Situation
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 21:59 »
Well, I missed this until now, unless they just added it again?

At my meeting with the Quebec Ministry of Health and Social Services in Trois-Rivieres,
we discussed treatment facilities promoting their inflated success rates to lure people in.

As of July 2001, no facility in Quebec will be permitted to promote their success rate in
any form whatsoever.

A short time before this meeting, Narconon Trois-Rivieres removed their 70% success rate from their
web page,..., I thought. Following some intel from Trois-Rivieres, I again went to their web site and
saw the success rate was removed. NOT!!!

When you go the first opening page, it's gone:
http://www.narconon.ca/

Click on the Rehabilitation Button and there it is: (70%)
http://www.narconon.ca/drug_rehab_program.htm#program

And many of the other web pages:
http://www.narconon.ca/narconon_program_steps_course.htm

They are so cunning and baffling; just like an addiction. Mmmm,..., I guess Scientology is
somewhat of an addiction, eh'?

Whoops,..., am I NOT supposed to post links to these guys here? If not, just remove
for me please.

An Ol' Irish Quote:
“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 08:14 »
Whoops,..., am I NOT supposed to post links to these guys here? If not, just remove
for me please.

You can post links to them here. In fact, we are glad to have them! It never hurts to be able to point out exactly how the cult lies, and continues to lie even after being caught, and ordered to stop.

Unlike Scientologists, we have no problem with being able to confront! /o:

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 17:54 »
for me please.

wynot is right; you're fine posting links to scientology sites here, so long as they're used as examples and not as spam.   ;) 

I agree that Scientology is like an addiction to its followers, just as battling scientology is like an addiction to some of its detractors.  There are certainly plenty of examples of the difficulty in giving up the practice, as evidenced by the Freezone/Indy/non-church followers. 

Without the success rate lies, they have nothing to tout besides being a non-12-step program.  Being based on Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard's "technology" certainly won't attract many customers. That kinda tends to run people away.   :D
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 02:44 »
Well, I missed this until now, unless they just added it again?

At my meeting with the Quebec Ministry of Health and Social Services in Trois-Rivieres,
we discussed treatment facilities promoting their inflated success rates to lure people in.

As of July 2001, no facility in Quebec will be permitted to promote their success rate in
any form whatsoever.

A short time before this meeting, Narconon Trois-Rivieres removed their 70% success rate from their
web page,..., I thought. Following some intel from Trois-Rivieres, I again went to their web site and
saw the success rate was removed. NOT!!!

When you go the first opening page, it's gone:
http://www.narconon.ca/

Click on the Rehabilitation Button and there it is: (70%)
http://www.narconon.ca/drug_rehab_program.htm#program

And many of the other web pages:
http://www.narconon.ca/narconon_program_steps_course.htm

They are so cunning and baffling; just like an addiction. Mmmm,..., I guess Scientology is
somewhat of an addiction, eh'?

for me please.

When you click ' 70% Success Rate ' posted on the side of the page, you are taken here
http://www.narconon.ca/rehab_summary_evaluations.htm

ps: David, you have an email from me that may be of help.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.