Author Topic: The Desmond Family v. Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International, et al  (Read 241907 times)

Offline anonysamvines

• New Around Here
Going through ClarkCarr's depo and amongst the massive footbullets i came across this bombshell from Jeff

line 23 page 112  and again line 6 page 114 (trying to get an answer)

A recent DHR inspection claims NN GA is still representing themselves as a residential rehab

- and if i am reading it right -  possibly to another drug court

is anything known about this and i have missed it?

Offline who me?

• Joker and Degrader
Going through ClarkCarr's depo and amongst the massive footbullets i came across this bombshell from Jeff

A recent DHR inspection claims NN GA is still representing themselves as a residential rehab

NN also told Tennessee drug court that NN was in patient. This is in the depo from Randy Taylor, Brad Taylor's dad.
Or is this even another instance? (It all runs together at times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target

NN also told Tennessee drug court that NN was in patient. This is in the depo from Randy Taylor, Brad Taylor's dad.
Or is this even another instance? (It all runs together at times)

This was also mentioned in Mary Rieser's "Things That Shouldn't Be" also. She stated that Brad Taylor was "sentenced" to Narconon. I assume that means mandated by a court system.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I believe the statement in Clark Carr's depo (which, I am ashamed to say, I haven't finished reading yet) is in reference to the complaints discussed in this thread:
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,10057.0.html

prompted by some discussion in this thread:
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,9939.0.html

On this page, it says: "Two of the twenty eight sample clients were court ordered to go to a residential drug treatment program."

Interestingly, that citation of deficiencies was reversed by DCH right before the motions hearing that took place in July.   O-\eh?
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
I believe the statement in Clark Carr's depo (which, I am ashamed to say, I haven't finished reading yet) is in reference to the complaints discussed in this thread:
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,10057.0.html

prompted by some discussion in this thread:
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,9939.0.html

On this page, it says: "Two of the twenty eight sample clients were court ordered to go to a residential drug treatment program."

Interestingly, that citation of deficiencies was reversed by DCH right before the motions hearing that took place in July.   O-\eh?

Thank you for reposting this. I cannot stress to our readers and those doing investigaions,just how important this document is.

Offline who me?

• Joker and Degrader
I finally read through Clark Carr's depo and noticed he stated he was told not to bring any notes or documents regarding his testimony as NN Int rep. I wonder what the list of scientific references that support the NN program looks like.

I googled some sauna detox references and found that the xenu directory has nice rebuttal info for the PCB study from the NY rescue workers study. http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/corporate/990s-iads-analysis.html#time-interval
I am always amazed at all of the info, and docs at that site.

Offline who me?

• Joker and Degrader
I finally read through Clark Carr's depo and noticed he stated he was told not to bring any notes or documents regarding his testimony as NN Int rep. I wonder what the list of scientific references that support the NN program looks like.

I googled some sauna detox references and found that the xenu directory has nice rebuttal info for the PCB study from the NY rescue workers study. http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/corporate/990s-iads-analysis.html#time-interval
I am always amazed at all of the info, and docs at that site.

I also looked at the Schnare (M Sheilds is a co-author) article from Med. Hypoth. 1982 that I think Clark was trying to describe. It has no info on reduction of any toxins and uses IQ test score improvement as a outcome measure. These tests are not meant to be done repeatedly because the scores tend to increase due to familiarity with the test on repeat rather than due to any kind of real IQ increase.

OOPS! I meant to hit "modify" not "quote"........Oh well.

I would love to watch an expert witness work the "scientific" studies into the ground with the crappy study designs, etc.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Thank you for reposting this. I cannot stress to our readers and those doing investigaions,just how important this document is.

Here's a PDF of it: http://alley.ethercat.com/storage/2012-04-30-NNGA-Inspection.pdf

Like these, on Narconon International's site: http://www.narconon.org/about-narconon/research.html

I would love to watch an expert witness work the "scientific" studies into the ground with the crappy study designs, etc.

Me too!   ;D
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Clark Carr's depo ... I wonder what the list of scientific references that support the NN program looks like.

There is a "white paper" put out by FASE with some 200 references.
www.fasenet.org/images/vitamin_whitepaper.pdf

Here is an earlier version of the same paper, given as a talk, that has only 26 references.
http://detoxacademy.org/pdfs/Kerr_abstract.pdf

The first one is at the Scientology FASE site. I haven't picked through each one of the references, but their statements are misleading. Many of the "peer reviewed" articles discuss now generally accepted ideas like the studies of how Omega 3's at reasonable dosages help with depression. No one would argue that good nutrition isn't important to recovery and well being, but this doesn't "support" massive doses of niacin or speak to its safety. Other issues, obvious at a glance, with these references is many of the publications are to journals such as "Medical Hypothesis" - a place for the-way-out-there ideas.
 Marie Cecchini Sternquist  finally got one of their papers published there after 40 years.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17045758
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/marie-cecchini-sternquist/5/89/b81

There is a separate thread here on this topic regarding the scientific studies. It might be helpful to address each one of these references.  @u@ooo  I'm certain there is not one study on that list that is not invalidated by author conflict of interest, poor procedures, etc.  If there were, they would hold it up and say, "Look here!"

There is an excellent Norwegian study (thanks mefree), done by an extensive literature search, that reports back no valid studies were found which support anything effective from Hubbard's method. There is a link to it here in the other thread.

Here is another study, from Norway in 2008: http://www.scribd.com/doc/20922946/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Health-Narconon-Report-2008

nice rebuttal info for the PCB study from the NY rescue workers study. http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/corporate/990s-iads-analysis.html#time-interval

Yes. This one is important, too, IMO.  It's all Narconon. There is yet another battle to debunk their claims that Purification Rundown should be used at places like Chernobyl for radiation sickness. These claims are SO ridiculous it makes me cry, but desperate people the world over fall for this crap.

Also note people at WWP have done a good deal of work on this too.  see for example:
https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/fase-research-report-1995-human-detox-conference.104868/

It would be nice to put together an updated airtight debunking of these deceptive claims, eg to demonstrate that valid studies supporting Narconon's methods do not exist. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:38 by snippy »

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
IAofDS even makes the 'studies' claim in their Form 990's. This from their 2010 Form 990:

Since the early 1980s, findings from studies, evaluations and pilot projects involving the program have been published in professional publications and peer-reviewed journals, and presented at scientific meetings and conferences. This work has firmly established its safety and its value in reducing symptoms associated with chemical exposure.

Of course they don't mention how they got 'shot down in flames' in the peer review journal 'snippy' mentioned above!

BigBeard

Offline Witnessman

• Fly in the Ointment
More booming of sanctions requests today from Jeff Harris and Rebecca Franklin.

From ojs.dekalbga.org:

31-OCT-2012  PLTFS MOTION FOR DISCOVERY SANCTIONS AGAINST NARCONON INTERNATIONAL 

31-OCT-2012  PLTFS MOTION TO COMPEL AGAISNT NON-PARTY

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
More booming of sanctions requests today from Jeff Harris and Rebecca Franklin.

From ojs.dekalbga.org:

31-OCT-2012  PLTFS MOTION FOR DISCOVERY SANCTIONS AGAINST NARCONON INTERNATIONAL 

31-OCT-2012  PLTFS MOTION TO COMPEL AGAISNT NON-PARTY

Awesome!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
We have big news, folks!

DeKalb judge sanctions Narconon of Georgia - WSB TV
Victory for family of drug treatment patient

By Jodie Fleischer
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. —

The family of a man who died while under the care of a local drug treatment facility won a huge court victory this week.

DeKalb County State Court Judge Stacey Hydrick issued sanctions against Narconon of Georgia, finding the program's director lied under oath and hid evidence.

"There's really nothing else that a judge can do that's stronger than what the judge has done here," said attorney Jeff Harris.

Harris is representing the family of Patrick Desmond, who died in 2008 after trying heroin for the first time.

Desmond was enrolled in Narconon of Georgia for alcohol addiction, but got drunk with a housing monitor, and left with two program flunkees. Later, the Desmonds found out the Gwinnett facility is only licensed as an outpatient program.

"It breaks my heart. He wasn't cared for. I feel the whole place was just a total fake scam," Patrick's mother, Colleen Desmond, told Channel 2 investigative reporter Jodie Fleischer in September. "We were assured all along the line, this was an inpatient situation."

During our investigation, we even caught Narconon's parent organization, Narconon International, advertising the program as residential on its website. The Desmonds say the Georgia program director, Mary Rieser, lied to them.

In September, Rieser disputed that saying, "I will never knowingly accept somebody here if I know they've been ordered inpatient, because we're not."

But Judge Hydrick's ruling says in hearings, Rieser's "responses were patently false," that Narconon of Georgia "repeatedly and willfully obstructed the discovery process," and even "falsely denied the existence of clearly relevant, responsive documents and information."

"If you can't get those documents and can't get that evidence, you can't prove your case. The only way to make the punishment fit the crime is to basically deem the case as being admitted as true," said Harris.

The judge ordered Narconon of Georgia's response to the initial complaint stricken from what the jury will be able to consider. That means the facility's attorneys cannot deny that it misrepresented itself, that it operated an illegal residential facility, and that negligence led to Patrick Desmond's death.

Harris says the ruling for sanctions is so strong, lawyers often refer to it as the civil-case version of the 'death penalty.'

It doesn't bring Patrick back, but his parents say they don't want any other families misled.

"At the end of the day, they've still lost their son. But all they really wanted in this case was justice, and I think we're getting a lot closer to getting that," said Harris....

more, including video at http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/dekalb-judge-sanctions-narconon-georgia/nS2mB/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 22:36 by mefree »
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Judge imposes harsh sanctions on Norcross drug treatment facility - AJC

By Christian Boone
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In a rare move, a DeKalb County state judge has withdrawn a Norcross drug treatment facility’s response to allegations in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by a former patient’s parents.

Judge Stacey K. Hydrick said in a court order Nov. 5 that Narconon of Georgia “intentionally, willfully and repeatedly provided false and misleading responses to plaintiff’s discovery requests regarding issues relevant to the resolution of this case.”

Narconon “repeatedly failed to produce, and on multiple occasions falsely denied the existence of clearly relevant, responsive documents and information,” Hydrick wrote.

As a result, the allegations against Narconon will essentially go unanswered, which will be to the suing parents’ advantage.

“This judicial order is as sharply worded rebuke of a party as one is likely to see in American courts,” said University of Georgia law professor Ron Carlson, calling the sanctions “very uncommon.”

In their suit, the family of Patrick Desmond — who died of a drug overdose four years ago while a patient at Narconon of Georgia — alleges the rehabilitation facility duped them into believing it provided in-patient care even though it lacked the proper license.

Their suit, filed in May 2010, also accuses Narconon of Georgia of lying to Florida’s drug court, which had sentenced Desmond to six months in an in-patient residential facility.

Those accusations will go uncontested during the civil trial, scheduled to begin in mid-February, unless an appeal is granted, Carlson said.

more at http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/judge-imposes-harsh-sanctions-on-norcross-drug-tre/nS2fH/
-Dalai Lama

• High Value Target
We have big news, folks!

DeKalb judge sanctions Narconon of Georgia - WSB TV
Victory for family of drug treatment patient

By Jodie Fleischer
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. —

The family of a man who died while under the care of a local drug treatment facility won a huge court victory this week.

DeKalb County State Court Judge Stacey Hydrick issued sanctions against Narconon of Georgia, finding the program's director lied under oath and hid evidence.

"There's really nothing else that a judge can do that's stronger than what the judge has done here," said attorney Jeff Harris.

Harris is representing the family of Patrick Desmond, who died in 2008 after trying heroin for the first time.

Desmond was enrolled in Narconon of Georgia for alcohol addiction, but got drunk with a housing monitor, and left with two program flunkees. Later, the Desmonds found out the Gwinnett facility is only licensed as an outpatient program.

"It breaks my heart. He wasn't cared for. I feel the whole place was just a total fake scam," Patrick's mother, Colleen Desmond, told Channel 2 investigative reporter Jodie Fleischer in September. "We were assured all along the line, this was an inpatient situation."

During our investigation, we even caught Narconon's parent organization, Narconon International, advertising the program as residential on its website. The Desmonds say the Georgia program director, Mary Rieser, lied to them.

In September, Rieser disputed that saying, "I will never knowingly accept somebody here if I know they've been ordered inpatient, because we're not."

But Judge Hydrick's ruling says in hearings, Rieser's "responses were patently false," that Narconon of Georgia "repeatedly and willfully obstructed the discovery process," and even "falsely denied the existence of clearly relevant, responsive documents and information."

"If you can't get those documents and can't get that evidence, you can't prove your case. The only way to make the punishment fit the crime is to basically deem the case as being admitted as true," said Harris.

The judge ordered Narconon of Georgia's response to the initial complaint stricken from what the jury will be able to consider. That means the facility's attorneys cannot deny that it misrepresented itself, that it operated an illegal residential facility, and that negligence led to Patrick Desmond's death.

Harris says the ruling for sanctions is so strong, lawyers often refer to it as the civil-case version of the 'death penalty.'

It doesn't bring Patrick back, but his parents say they don't want any other families misled.

"At the end of the day, they've still lost their son. But all they really wanted in this case was justice, and I think we're getting a lot closer to getting that," said Harris....

more, including video at http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/dekalb-judge-sanctions-narconon-georgia/nS2mB/
[/quote]

YES!

• High Value Target
Judge imposes harsh sanctions on Norcross drug treatment facility - AJC

By Christian Boone
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In a rare move, a DeKalb County state judge has withdrawn a Norcross drug treatment facility’s response to allegations in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by a former patient’s parents.

Judge Stacey K. Hydrick said in a court order Nov. 5 that Narconon of Georgia “intentionally, willfully and repeatedly provided false and misleading responses to plaintiff’s discovery requests regarding issues relevant to the resolution of this case.”

Narconon “repeatedly failed to produce, and on multiple occasions falsely denied the existence of clearly relevant, responsive documents and information,” Hydrick wrote.

As a result, the allegations against Narconon will essentially go unanswered, which will be to the suing parents’ advantage.

“This judicial order is as sharply worded rebuke of a party as one is likely to see in American courts,” said University of Georgia law professor Ron Carlson, calling the sanctions “very uncommon.”

In their suit, the family of Patrick Desmond — who died of a drug overdose four years ago while a patient at Narconon of Georgia — alleges the rehabilitation facility duped them into believing it provided in-patient care even though it lacked the proper license.

Their suit, filed in May 2010, also accuses Narconon of Georgia of lying to Florida’s drug court, which had sentenced Desmond to six months in an in-patient residential facility.

Those accusations will go uncontested during the civil trial, scheduled to begin in mid-February, unless an appeal is granted, Carlson said.

more at http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/judge-imposes-harsh-sanctions-on-norcross-drug-tre/nS2fH/

Justice!

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
DeKalb judge strikes answer by Scientology-linked rehab - Daily Report
Sanction comes in suit over patient who died of heroin overdose

By Mark Niesse

A DeKalb County judge has struck the answer of a Church of Scientology-linked drug rehab program that's being sued for the heroin overdose death of a man while he was in treatment.

State Court Judge Stacey Hydrick on Monday issued the heavy sanction on Narconon of Georgia, saying the defendant "provided false, misleading written discovery responses and deposition testimony" in response to requests for evidence about claims that the rehab center ran an unsafe and unlicensed facility.

The punishment means that allegations contained in the complaint will be deemed to be true when the case goes to trial in February, said plaintiffs attorney Jeffrey Harris.

Harris said Narconon's discovery abuse was "so pervasive and so bad."

"I'm confident there remain documents out there that we still haven't gotten," said Harris, of Harris Penn Lowry Delcampo. "Some of them I know are missing because the documents we have talk about them. The documents we do have make it clear that there are other documents that have not been produced."

Hydrick's order noted that she didn't find fault with the conduct of Narconon of Georgia's lawyers, Stevan Miller and Barbara Marschalk of Drew Eckl & Farnham. Instead, the judge blamed their client.

more (3 pages) at Daily Report
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 22:51 by mefree »
-Dalai Lama

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Narconon punished, stripped of defense in civil case - WSB radio
by Pete Combs

....“There were documents that we asked for in discovery and they… said ‘We don’t have any such documents,’” said the Desmonds’ attorney, Jeff Harris. “We determined later that they do. There clearly were documents that were responsive to the written discovery requests, which you have to respond to under oath, that had never been produced before. We had to find out about them other ways.”

Judge Stacey Hydrick also concluded that Narconon Executive Director Mary Rieser lied in as many as ten depositions when she “repeatedly failed to produce, and on multiple occasions falsely denied the existence of clearly relevant, responsive documents and information.”

Finally, Hydrick concluded that, when she asked Rieser on the stand about the omissions and false declarations, Narconon’s leader was simply not credible in her responses. In other words, she failed to tell the truth.

For all of that, Narconon of Georgia and Mary Rieser will now suffer what civil attorneys commonly call the “death penalty.” They will not be able to respond to the allegations filed by Patrick Desmond’s family alleging Narconon lied to them and the Brevard County drug court, pretended to be an inpatient facility, falsified records, provided negligent care and ultimately caused Patrick Desmond’s deadly overdose.

“This judicial order is as sharply worded a rebuke of a party as one is likely to see in an American court,” said WSB legal expert Ron Carlson. While not unheard of, he called the sanctions very uncommon.

Narconon’s attorneys have a very limited ability to appeal the ruling. Attorneys Barbara Marschalk and Steve Miller said they will ask Judge Hydrick to permit them to pause the Desmond trial so that their appeal can be heard in a higher court. Carlson said that is highly unlikely.

“This is very damaging to the defense,” Carlson noted. “It means the plaintiffs’ case will be heard by the jury uncontested.”

more at http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/narconon-punished-stripped-defense-civil-case/nS2rW/
-Dalai Lama

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
I count six iterations of the sanctions story above.

And every one is intensely beautiful.

What will be more beautiful is when the 'Cease and Desist doing business' orders are served on NNGA and NNINT! And Mary Reiser is convicted in Federal court for the wire fraud she so clearly committed against the Florida drug court. And Scientology offers the Desmonds a billion dollars, and are turned down! Because this gives me hope, to see them lose so completely.

Who's at cause? I know who... ;)

'til later;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person

:-OP|      T_:O-T