Author Topic: The Desmond Family v. Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International, et al  (Read 241259 times)

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
 Let us NOT forget the NarCONon Scientology board of directors whom give aid and support to this fraudulent entity.  Let us NOT forget how these ill gotten gains by this entity were spent. A hard look into a certain piece of property within the city of Sandy Springs would be an excellent place to start!

Offline Witnessman

• Fly in the Ointment
So, what happens next? 

Narconon's plight goes from very bad to much, much worse. That is what.

Grab the Popcorn!  It should be one hell of a fun show to watch!

• High Value Target

Offline Witnessman

• Fly in the Ointment
So, what happens next? 

Justice

Yes, we all hope Justice will be done.

Bear in mind, however, that Justice in the world of wrongful death litigation is measured almost exclusively by the yardstick of compensatory damages actually recovered. 

The reason why trial lawyers and greiving families pursue these cases for years and at great costs - and thereby quite often hugely enhance public safety and substantially remediate very serious societal problems - is that there are economic incentives to do so.

At the end of day, if Scientology has not paid out millions of dollars, the Desmond family will not have received Justice and their resort to the judicial process will not have been successful.  And because Scientology and its front group Narconon are all about profit and wealth, they will have won.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person

Jeff Harris points out what lies ahead:

At the end of the day, they've still lost their son. But all they really wanted in this case was justice, and I think we're getting a lot closer to getting that," said Harris.

He said he will still introduce evidence to prove the level of damages he wants to the jury to award. He will also have to prove the claims made in a second complaint, which alleges racketeering, or a pattern of activity by Narconon of Georgia for financial gain.

Narconon of Georgia could still appeal the judge's ruling for sanctions before the trial in February, or after the verdict.

and then there is the DCH who now really need to cover their ...

Fleischer's investigation also exposed how state inspectors had failed to crack down on the program for more than a decade.

The Department of Community Health has since opened a new investigation to review all of the evidence from the court case, including this new finding by the judge.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/dekalb-judge-sanctions-narconon-georgia/nS2mB/

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person

I love that this sanction was posted on October --> 31 <-- which is 13 backwards.    ^^or__

Scilons have that thing for the number 13. Ever notice how many Narconons file taxes or business licenses on the 13th of the month. It's related to LRH's days with Aleister Crowley pal Jack Parsons, I think.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
March 13th was Hubbard's birthday, too.

Offline Watcher

• On the path to knowledge
 8:O8P|()
Gotta love this Judge!

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
March 13th was Hubbard's birthday, too.

Want  LIKE  buttons.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target

I love that this sanction was posted on October --> 31 <-- which is 13 backwards.   

I have to correct this, but it's even better - the order was issued on November 5; Guy Fawkes Day.   ;D

Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Sorry - yes, but then it's a double whammy in terms of the woo:

More booming of sanctions requests today from Jeff Harris and Rebecca Franklin.

From ojs.dekalbga.org:

31-OCT-2012  PLTFS MOTION FOR DISCOVERY SANCTIONS AGAINST NARCONON INTERNATIONAL 

31-OCT-2012  PLTFS MOTION TO COMPEL AGAISNT NON-PARTY
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 22:27 by snippy »

• High Value Target
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narconon

In a 2012 lawsuit concerning the death of Patrick Desmond at Narconon Georgia, expert witness Dr. Louis A. Casal was cross-examined by plaintiff’s attorney Jeff Harris:[56]
Harris: And the sauna program, what Narconon contends is that in -- it in fact detoxifies your body. True?

Casal: True.

Harris: But there's no scientific basis that you can point me to to support that contention, is there, sir?

Casal: You're correct.

Harris: So when Narconon states that the sauna program detoxifies its students, you're not aware, as a medical doctor, of any scientific basis for that contention?

Casal: I agree.

Harris: The vitamin regimen. You're familiar with the vitamin regimen?

Casal: Yes, sir.

Harris: What -- do you have an opinion about whether or not the vitamin regimen is effective at treating addiction?

Casal: I believe that it has very likely no bearing whatsoever on the treatment of addiction.

Patrick Desmond, Norcross, Georgia, US (2008)
Patrick W. "Ricko" Desmond, a former member of the US Marine Corps, died at Narconon Georgia on 11 June 2008, aged 28, from a heroin overdose.[92]
His family are alleging wrongful death and have filed a lawsuit against Narconon, claiming that Narconon's actions led to his death, and that Narconon falsely claimed to be a licensed inpatient programme.[92][93][94]
Atlanta's Channel 2 News said that:
The evidence includes documents with Narconon's letterhead with the word "outpatient" when reporting Patrick's death to state investigators, but letterhead on letters sent to Florida courts omitted the word "outpatient".
Desmond's family paid Narconon $30,000 for his treatment. "There's things that people do to themselves," Narconon Georgia director Mary Rieser commented to a reporter. "Of course it's sad".[92][95]
[edit]

Offline Witnessman

• Fly in the Ointment
From OJS.DekalbGa.Org re 10A28641:

LETTER  07-NOV-2012  FROM ATTY JEFFREY HARRIS TO JUDGE HYDRICK (FAX) 

ORDER FILED  06-NOV-2012  PLTF'S MOTION FOR A COMMISSION TO TAKE AN OUT OF STATE DEPOSITION - GRANTED

ORDER FILED  05-NOV-2012 PLTF'S MOTION FOR SANCTIONS - GRANTED, IT HEREBY IS ORDERED THAT DEFT NARCONON OF GEORGIA, INC.'S ANSWER TO PLTF'S FIRST COMPLAINT IN THIS CASE HEREBY IS STRICKEN

Great Stuff.  The best analogy I can come up for the efforts of Harris and team are it is like Sherman and the Union Army marching to the sea, leaving devastation, carnage and ruin of Narconon in their wake.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target

ORDER FILED  05-NOV-2012 PLTF'S MOTION FOR SANCTIONS - GRANTED, IT HEREBY IS ORDERED THAT DEFT NARCONON OF GEORGIA, INC.'S ANSWER TO PLTF'S FIRST COMPLAINT IN THIS CASE HEREBY IS STRICKEN.

Truly amazing!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Docket Text Details

Case ID      10A28641
Description      ORDER FILED
Docket Filing Date      13-NOV-2012
Associated Party      None
Text      
     DEFT'S REQUEST FOR A CERTIFICATE OF IMMEDIATE REVIEW - DENIED/TYD

http://www.gaappeals.us/rules2/rules.php?name=APPLICATION%20FOR%20INTERLOCUTORY%20APPEAL
IX. APPLICATION FOR INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL
Rule 30. Interlocutory Applications.

(a) An application for leave to appeal an interlocutory order will be granted only when it appears from the documents submitted that:

The issue to be decided appears to be dispositive of the case; or

The order appears erroneous and will probably cause a substantial error at trial or will adversely affect the rights of the appealing party until entry of final judgment in which case the appeal will be expedited; or

The establishment of precedent is desirable.

(b) Applications for interlocutory appeal shall contain a jurisdictional statement and have attached a stamped "filed" copy of the trial court's order to be appealed and a stamped "filed" copy of the certificate of immediate review. The trial court's order and certificate of immediate review must contain the signature of the trial court judge. Neither conformed signatures nor stamped signatures shall be permitted.

I guess that's that!

Edit: and "Rule amended November 1st, 2012."  LOL!  More at the link above.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 19:15 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Intelligence

• Hill 10 Situation
This ^^^ means Judge Tracey refused to grant NN et al. an evenue of Appeal???

If YES, this ^^^ just keeps widening my smiles :)
An Ol' Irish Quote:
“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'”

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
This ^^^ means Judge Tracey refused to grant NN et al. an evenue of Appeal???

If YES, this ^^^ just keeps widening my smiles :)

I believe so!
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
This is terrific news!!   :)  Thanks for posting it!!!
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
The way I understand it (that is, just barely, but perhaps someone else here understands it better than me) is that the judge won't let them interrupt the case in the middle to appeal, but they still have the right of appeal after the case is over.
   Narconon Reviews