Author Topic: The Desmond Family v. Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International, et al  (Read 241159 times)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
You guys don't expect Mary Rieser to suddenly start telling the truth, do you?

:-----|
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
I doubt she even knows what the truth is anymore.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I doubt she even knows what the truth is anymore.

I'm afraid you are right, snippy.  _/?%
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
My impression is that Scientology pulled their usual drama queen act for the Atlanta police, convincing them that Anonymous was a terrorist hate group that had threatened them, hence the over-the-top police presence in full riot gear. The scilons like Mary probably believe their own propaganda. Scientology made fools of the DeKalb Police department. The two arrests were for something lame.

I was present for that protest - on the inside of the church.  The police presence was absolutely instigated by OSA via Deb Danos in the DSA office.  They reported that terrorists were making death threats and coming to interfere with their right to "worship".  Such bullshit.

We all believed the propaganda back then, I regretfully report.  We were scared and led to believe we were under attack and that evil SP's were trying to destroy "our religion".  Again, such bullshit. 

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
My impression is that Scientology pulled their usual drama queen act for the Atlanta police, convincing them that Anonymous was a terrorist hate group that had threatened them, hence the over-the-top police presence in full riot gear. The scilons like Mary probably believe their own propaganda. Scientology made fools of the DeKalb Police department. The two arrests were for something lame.

I was present for that protest - on the inside of the church.  The police presence was absolutely instigated by OSA via Deb Danos in the DSA office.  They reported that terrorists were making death threats and coming to interfere with their right to "worship".  Such bullshit.

We all believed the propaganda back then, I regretfully report.  We were scared and led to believe we were under attack and that evil SP's were trying to destroy "our religion".  Again, such bullshit.

March 2008. Deb Danos is the individual in the center of this photo taken during a March 2008 protest in front and across the street from Scientology of Georgia,s former location.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person

And the DeKalb Police fell for it! It's scary to think about how easily they convince people inside and outside of the church that there is some "dangerous" situation. If the police don't understand their special mindset  (and as the church gets more desperate), I hate to say it, but tragedies are possible.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Were there protests at the NarCONon of Georgia facility in Feb/March of 08 as Ms.Rieser claims? Were those alleged N of G protests the impetus behind this " Board of Investigation" she refers to in this depo?

No.  The protests that early in 2008 were in front of the "church" in Feb./March 2008.  The first protest at Narconon (at least by anonymous) was this one, which I was emailed about and asked to post by the two people who were there:

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:47:57 -0400

We had a fun mini-raid. Two Anons arrived at the sidewalk in front of the
office complex that houses the local Narconon center. One of us had a sign
saying "Narconon kills" while another "Patrick Desmond died while in the
"care" of Narconon." After about 5-10 minutes from arriving at the center, a
large red van pulled up beside us. Two large men opened the middle door and
pulled out cameras. After we pulled out our own camera, the two men quickly
shut their door. A scraggly looking woman in the passenger's seat yelled at
us about having a permit. We said that we already called the cops and that
they told us we don't need a permit. A few more choice words were exchanged.
and the red van left.

A few minutes later we were confronted with a scrawny-looking man, with an
iPhone. He also asked us if we had a permit, getting the same answer the red
van did. The guy pulled out his phone to take pictures, and we pulled out
our camera, and held our signs over our faces. The man said something about
"You can't film students." We quipped back "Are you a student?" The guy
answered "no."

Soon after that the cops showed up. Two cruisers total came to the Narconon
lot. We had one officer come up to us to ask what we were protesting, and to
remind us to stay on the sidewalk. The cops seemed friendly and there was no
major incident.

We stayed out for a while longer, although it started to rain for about 20
minutes. He had LOTS of honks, and more than a few waves. Besides the
Narconon people themselves, there were no negative responses.

Here are 4 photos:

Here's the old enturbulation.org link, which may still be on WWP if you can figure out the link translation:
http://forums.enturbulation.org/121-raids/july-26-narconon-ga-picketed-23676/

Narconon of Georgia had an exhibit planned at the state capital building in March a few days after the "church" protest that happened on March 15 (?), 2008, which some people planned to attend, but after  the arrests happened at the "church" protest, everyone was distracted and, as far as I know, no one went to the capital exhibit.

So, they could have been referring to that, but that would not have been in front of the NN building, it would have been downtown.  Mary Rieser probably only knows what the "church intelligence", aka OSA, told her.

And the DeKalb Police fell for it! It's scary to think about how easily they convince people inside and outside of the church that there is some "dangerous" situation. If the police don't understand their special mindset  (and as the church gets more desperate), I hate to say it, but tragedies are possible.

Unfortunately, snippy, you are correct.  It took some effort on the part of myself and one other (who can speak up if they wish) to convince the head of the DeKalb SWAT team otherwise, too. 
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Circumstances in Mich were a bit different than this situation.  I dont believe they will try that as it will tie them to the new corp legally.

http://info.legalzoom.com/constitutes-successor-corporation-20923.html

Freedom Center didnt get hit with the lawsuits and such of Stone Henge as Per started to pay them back. 

What I believe they are doing is intentionally stalling, playing dumb, etc to try and outlast the Desmonds or the attorneys.  When they have tried everything and there are no more loopholes or tricks to play and their asses are against the wall, they will offer a settlement.  A confidential one.

Somewhere around here, and if not here, Mary McConnell has them on her blog, there are some images of tax liens incurred by Narconon of Georgia that shows Narconon International being the party responsible for them.  Would that not tie the two together, if one is paying tax liens for the other?
   Narconon Reviews

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Circumstances in Mich were a bit different than this situation.  I dont believe they will try that as it will tie them to the new corp legally.

http://info.legalzoom.com/constitutes-successor-corporation-20923.html

Freedom Center didnt get hit with the lawsuits and such of Stone Henge as Per started to pay them back. 

What I believe they are doing is intentionally stalling, playing dumb, etc to try and outlast the Desmonds or the attorneys.  When they have tried everything and there are no more loopholes or tricks to play and their asses are against the wall, they will offer a settlement.  A confidential one.

Somewhere around here, and if not here, Mary McConnell has them on her blog, there are some images of tax liens incurred by Narconon of Georgia that shows Narconon International being the party responsible for them.  Would that not tie the two together, if one is paying tax liens for the other?

What year was this? How much was owed? Did the lien specifically state NN Int was responsible for paying the lien, or does it just show them paying it?

If the later I can check NN Int's 990's for any unusual "grants" to NN GA for that amount. I wouldn't put it past them to try getting a tax write off for bailing NN GA out, which is something grants are not allowed to be used for if you write them off.

BigBeard

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
Could be considered a business loan which doesnt necessarily join the two at the hips.  I believe what makes NN Int responsible in the Desmond case is that they are supposed to be overseeing the integrity of the program and did not.  They let them pass themselves off as a residential center and did not do the routine inspections even after reports of "outnesses" surfaced.  This directly resulted in Patrick's Death.  The thing they are trying to do with all this legalese is make the judge, jury and attorneys lose sight of this.
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
If I can get the year and amount it still wouldn't hurt to check the 990's. If I ever get caught up so I can get back to digging, I've already seen some "iffy" things in the so called 'grants' the various NN's have been doing.

BigBeard

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
What year was this? How much was owed? Did the lien specifically state NN Int was responsible for paying the lien, or does it just show them paying it?

If the later I can check NN Int's 990's for any unusual "grants" to NN GA for that amount. I wouldn't put it past them to try getting a tax write off for bailing NN GA out, which is something grants are not allowed to be used for if you write them off.

Here are the documents; I'll let you determine whether or not NN Int was considered responsible, or just paid it (I don't know).  It says "Name of Taxpayer".

http://www.scribd.com/doc/58525384/Narconon-of-Georgia-International-IRS-Lien-941-09-30-2009
http://www.scribd.com/doc/58525405/Narconon-of-GA-International-IRS-Lien-tax-period-03-31-2010
http://www.scribd.com/doc/58525409/Narconon-GA-International-IRS-Lien-Tax-Period-06-30-2010
http://www.scribd.com/doc/58525404/Narconon-of-Georgia-International-IRS-Lien-Tax-Period-09-30-2010
http://www.scribd.com/doc/58525399/Narconon-of-Georgia-and-Narconon-International-IRS-Lien-tax-period-12-31-2010
   Narconon Reviews

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
Wow! Gold mine linking NN Int/NN Ga for sure. These are not showing NN GA and NN Int owing taxes. What that 'Name of Taxpayer' block is actually showing is NN GA, a part of the NN Int corporation, owing unpaid taxes

That taxpayer field, "NARCONON INTERNATIONAL a corporation NARCONON OF GEORGIA", goes back to what I've said before about how the IRS looks at NN Int. Regardless of how they may be set up at the state level, the IRS looks at ALL narCONons falling under GEN 2595 for NN Int, generated by the Group Exemption Letter from the 1993 agreement, as being part of NN Int with whatever name they are actually going by considered a DBA.

Essentially the IRS looks at NN's falling under NN Int as a franchise operation. The individual NN's under NN Int may be independently owned and operated, but they have to conform to NN Int's way of doing things or else!

These lien notices are hard proof of that.
BigBeard

Offline who me?

• Joker and Degrader
So from Mary's affidavit:
"I was upset when I wrote the memo. I calmed down, and I simply cannot
remember whether the memo and the box were sent. If the memo and box were sent,
they would have been sent by regular mail and not addressed to any specific person."

She was upset and calmed down and cannot remember what happened next.

Regardless, that memo shows how decisions regarding NN and housing were made based on the person's standing in the scientology org, not based on the needs of the students. If this does not indicate "control" by scientology, it sure is undue and detrimental influence that supersedes following the law.

So when you take the NNI DBA NNG from the tax liens, follow NNI through ABLE, you get OSA control of both "church" and NN.

Mary (through misstatements) is blaming anonymous protests of the "church" for NN needing to at least appear clean, and basically equating the 2 entities.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 14:39 by who me? »

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
The police became friendly towards and much less involved with the protests  after they got wind of what was really going on. I believe SocialTransparency ans etherct played a big role in educating them. \--O--/
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Volumes of exhibits!

Description      RESPONSE
Docket Filing Date      09-JAN-2013
Associated Party      JEFFREY R HARRIS
PLTFS RESPONSE TO DEF NARCONON INTERNATIONALS MOTION FOR JUDGMENT ON THE PLEADINGS OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT OR PARTIAL SUMMARY JUDGMENT

Description      RESPONSE
Docket Filing Date      09-JAN-2013
Associated Party      JEFFREY R HARRIS
PLTFS RESPONSE TO DEF NARCONON OF GEORGIA'S MOTION FOR JUDGMENT ON THE PLEADINGS OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE, MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT OR PARTIAL SUMMARY JUDGMENT

RULE 6.5     09-JAN-2013 - PLTFS RULE 6.5 STATEMENT OF MATERIAL FACTRS IN RESPONSE TO NARCONON OF GEORGIA, INC AND NARCONON INTERNATIONAL'S PENDING DISPOSITIVE MOTIONS FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT

EXHIBITS     09-JAN-2013     AADINO - VOL. 1 OF 4    
EXHIBITS     09-JAN-2013     AADINO - VOL  2 OF 4    
EXHIBITS     09-JAN-2013     AADINO - VOL. 3 OF 4    
EXHIBITS     09-JAN-2013     AADINO - VOL. 4 OF 4

PROPOSED ORDER     08-JAN-2013 - STIPULATION AND ( PROPOSED ) CONSENT ORDER
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Volumes of exhibits!

PROPOSED ORDER     08-JAN-2013 - STIPULATION AND ( PROPOSED ) CONSENT ORDER[/b]

Who filed it? The plaintiff?
Do we know what it's in reference to?

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Volumes of exhibits!

All filed by the plaintiffs. I'm not sure what it is in reference to.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Volumes of exhibits!

All filed by the plaintiffs. I'm not sure what it is in reference to.

Thank you, mefree!

I think it's in response to this :)
http://alley.ethercat.com/storage/10A28641/10A28641-2-2012-10-29-PlaintiffsMotionForSanctionsAgainstNNI.pdf

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
I thought I remembered reading that there was supposed to be a hearing tomorrow regarding a motion for sanctions against Narconon International.  If that's true, I'd love to hear the outcome of that.

Also, a little birdie told me that Narconon of Georgia had a booth at the Capitol on Monday with a display and literature touting their program to try and gain legislative support.  The eyewitness relayed that they looked like an island of loneliness s nobody wanted to go near them.

This is in contrast to a few years ago.  I attended their Capitol day in early 2008 right before I moved to Clearwater, and spoke to many people.  I even got asked to speak at a committee hearing by surprise.  NN GA tried to capitalize on this, and apparently created this false press release without my knowledge.  I never gave permission for those quotes and certainly don't recall saying those things to the committee (http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=43543&aut=18313).