Author Topic: The Desmond Family v. Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International, et al  (Read 241172 times)

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Right, if anyone wants to explain the good stuff here, you certainly won't insult my intelligence. It's all Greek to me.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
The Deb Danos part could be interesting.  She was on a personal mission to attack Mary and NN GA in 2009 or 2010.  She wrote in reports to Narconon East US that Mary was taking staff away from the church and was a drain and a problem.  I don't know how many staff left the church to work at Narconon, but I was only aware of a couple.  One was Tracey Steppler, then she and her husband Merle and her ex-brother-in-law Fritz Alders ran a referral group for NN GA after that.

She also said Mary was "out-PR" because she claimed she could talk to animals.  Deb protested that she wished there wasn't a Narconon in GA (seconded), but that wouldn't fly because it's part of David Miscavige's plan of having an "Ideal Org" in a city, to have multiple church groups such as Narconon supporting it, since they're all connected.

I also thought of something else today.  When Narconon of Georgia shuts down and files for bankruptcy to not have to pay the damages awarded (8 figures, for sure), then the judge should be able to order the church to cover at least some or all of the difference, because NN GA is listed as at least a "Silver Humanitarian" for the Atlanta Ideal Org fundraising project and gave roughly $250,000, if not more.

Lots of stuff happening in the general arena, and with the trial less than three weeks away, I think stuff will start happening at an even more rapid pace.  Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 22:02 by CoolHand »

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
The Deb Danos part could be interesting.  She was on a personal mission to attack Mary and NN GA in 2009 or 2010.  She wrote in reports to Narconon East US that Mary was taking staff away from the church and was a drain and a problem.  I don't know how many staff left the church to work at Narconon, but I was only aware of a couple.  One was Tracey Steppler, then she and her husband Merle and her ex-brother-in-law Fritz Alders ran a referral group for NN GA after that.

She also said Mary was "out-PR" because she claimed she could talk to animals. Deb protested that she wished there wasn't a Narconon in GA (seconded), but that wouldn't fly because it's part of David Miscavige's plan of having an "Ideal Org" in a city, to have multiple church groups such as Narconon supporting it, since they're all connected.

I also thought of something else today.  When Narconon of Georgia shuts down and files for bankruptcy to not have to pay the damages awarded (8 figures, for sure), then the judge should be able to order the church to cover at least some or all of the difference, because NN GA is listed as at least a "Silver Humanitarian" for the Atlanta Ideal Org fundraising project and gave roughly $250,000, if not more.

Lots of stuff happening in the general arena, and with the trail less than three weeks away, I think stuff will start happening at an even more rapid pace.  Stay tuned!

;D
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Right, if anyone wants to explain the good stuff here, you certainly won't insult my intelligence. It's all Greek to me.

Yes, it is important to remember that we have people reading (not all necessarily registered members) who don't know the depth of what some of us know, so a bit of explanation along with new info wouldn't hurt, and would help not only the lurkers' understanding, but also that of some of our valuable participating members (like snippy).    L-O-:
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
 Y--O-||   ;D

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Docket Text Details

Case ID      10A28641
Description      RESPONSE
Docket Filing Date      17-JAN-2013
Associated Party      JEFFREY R HARRIS
Text      
     AADINO - PLTF'S RESPONSE TO NON-PARTY CHUCK CLARKE'S OBJECTION TO AND MOTION TO QUASH PENDING SUBPOENA AND BRIEF IN SUPPORT

More about Chuck Clarke's probationer, Randall Shively, another Narconon Success Story:
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12196.msg28827.html#msg28827

Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
http://www.scribd.com/doc/107223589/Narconon-Stamps-v-Narconon

Lookie here.  In this lawsuit from the 90s, Jeannie Trahant says in her Affidavit, page 21:
2.  I am the executive director if Narconon Los Angeles. Narconon Los Angeles is a dba of Narconon International, which itself is a licensee of Able International...

Too bad there's no such "mistake" in the declarations related to this case. 

If you can point to some of the "good stuff" you don't understand, I'll do my best to explain it. 

Guessing this may be part of it: Deb Danos is (or was) the DSA (the local OSA representative) and was the Executive Director of CoS of Georgia.  This means she's responsible for the "church", which we know is inextricably tied to Narconon of Georgia, which is inextricably and provably tied to Narconon International, which is documentedly tied to ABLE, which...  yada yada yada.   :D
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Witnessman

• Fly in the Ointment

This is good stuff: 

http://alley.ethercat.com/storage/10A28641/10A28641-2-2012-10-31-PlaintiffsMotionToCompelAgainstNonParty.pdf

The Desmonds filed a Motion to force Deb Danos, the head of the Scientology Church in Atlanta, to produce documents and testify regarding her and the Church's involvement with preventing Mary Rieser from fully controlling Maria Delgado's operation of the unlicensed and illegal housing operation, which is the violation that has now, finally caused DCH to start the process of putting Narconon of GA out of business. 

And on 1/23, the Court granted this Motion.

If you haven't actually read Mary Rieser's Things That Shouldn't Be document, you should.  It is attached to the Motion.  What it describes is the chaos and constant issue of lack of discipline at housing, the known heroin problem at housing, and Mary herself deciding things were so bad that she needed to prowl around housing late at night, calling the cops on one occasion about a drug dealer who was dropping off heroin, and feeling the students were in danger and it was a dangerous scene. The time period covered is the 3 months immediately prior to Patrick Desmond's death and the entire thrust of the document is Mary trying to blame the local Church for its meddling, not having enough information to understand the whole dynamics and ramifications of messing with and being all up in her business of managing housing.

Mr. Harris, attorney for the Desmonds, for some strange reason, apparently thinks all of this just might be helpful to his case.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
Thanks - I can pick through this. So many docs, this really helps. (I didn't get the Deb Danos connection before.)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Twitter  5:18 PM - 29 Jan 13

Pete Combs ‏@Reporterpete

Facing court battle over patient death, license revocation and insurance fraud investigation, Exec. Dir. Mary Reiser out at Narconon of Ga

According to Pete, "Barbara Marschalk, Narconon’s attorney in the Desmond case, confirms Mary Reiser has resigned as executive director of Narconon of Georgia."
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
This is good, but having Jeanne Trahant as her replacement doesnt seem to be any better for them. Seems she has a history of lying and underhanded dealings also.  Not a smart move NN int.
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
This is good, but having Jeanne Trahant as her replacement doesnt seem to be any better for them. Seems she has a history of lying and underhanded dealings also.  Not a smart move NN int.

I don't think she is going to be there for very long, nor the facility. Their license is going to be revoked and now they are under investigation for insurance fraud.

Offline BMF

I don't think she is going to be there for very long, nor the facility. Their license is going to be revoked and now they are under investigation for insurance fraud.

Thats good news also!  Bout damn time nn got hit for fraud.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Thats good news also!  Bout damn time nn got hit for fraud.

LOL! I know!!

Note to readers:

The media effort to investigate Narconon of Georgia and Narconon International is spearheaded by three reporters: Christian Boone of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Jodie Fleischer at WSB-TV and Pete Combs at WSB Radio. They’ve worked together in a unique collaborative venture to dig through mountains of data on Narconon and continue their investigation now, five months after it began.

Thursday, their stories will appear in the AJC (www.ajc.com), on WSB Channel 2 Action News (www.wsbtv.com) and on News-Talk WSB (www.wsbradio.com).
You can search the web for their stories. WSB Radio Reporter Pete Combs’ stories are aggregated here: www.wsbradio.com/s/narconon

Offline BMF

UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Love it, BMF.

Here's more good news:
Narconon is in BIG trouble
Posted: 4:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013
by WSB Radio Pete Combs
Narconon of Georgia and allegations of insurance fraud.
http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/special-reports/narconon-georgia-and-allegations-insurance-fraud/nT9nT/

update:

Scientology’s Atlanta Drug Rehab Crumbling: Executive Director Mary Rieser Out by Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker

We’ve commented in the past how remarkable it is that some of Atlanta’s local news outlets have banded together to keep a close watch on one of Scientology’s more intriguing messes going on there.

Pete Combs of WSB Radio, Jodie Fleischer of WSB-TV, and Christian Boone of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution have coordinated their coverage as a wrongful death and civil racketeering lawsuit has exposed shocking improprieties at Scientology’s drug rehab center in Atlanta, known as Narconon Georgia.

With a trial looming, the case has been going terribly for Scientology, and the state has announced its intention to revoke the facility’s license and shut the place down....
Read on for more
http://tonyortega.org/2013/01/30/scientologys-atlanta-drug-rehab-crumbling-executive-director-mary-rieser-out/

One of my fav quotes from it:
The dogged researchers over at the Reaching for the Tipping Point Forum, meanwhile, keep digging up remarkable documents in the case, and one they posted recently may help explain why Scientology needed Rieser to skeedaddle, and why things may not go very well for Narconon when the trial starts on February 11.

lol!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:36 by Mary_McConnell »

Offline BMF

This is great news.  How the hell did she justify charging over $150k (this is more than Passages Malibu) for one program AND charging the family $15k?  The attorney just committed career suicide by making that statement about how they follow all the rules.  Stoooooooopid.

Good job you dogged researchers.  Ruff Ruff.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
This is great news.  How the hell did she justify charging over $150k (this is more than Passages Malibu) for one program AND charging the family $15k?  The attorney just committed career suicide by making that statement about how they follow all the rules.  Stoooooooopid.

They billed out for physician visits that never occurred. At NN GA, they wuld transport patients to the doctor of they needed to go see one. The rehab fee only included initial checkup to be ok'd to do the program, and possible blood work re-checkup as needed. Most people went 2x to the physician, max. But these typical visits were supposed to be included in the $15,000 fee. Fees for other medical issues were to be billed to the patient's insurance or paid by the patient or family if no insurance existed. In this case, from what I saw, the insurance was billed for intensive outpatient therapy services per day for looks like 6 months,  and many days of partial hospitalization (at the beginning  early on in the billing and towards the last billing.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target

They billed out for physician visits that never occurred. At NN GA, they wuld transport patients to the doctor of they needed to go see one. The rehab fee only included initial checkup to be ok'd to do the program, and possible blood work re-checkup as needed. Most people went 2x to the physician, max. But these typical visits were supposed to be included in the $15,000 fee. Fees for other medical issues were to be billed to the patient's insurance or paid by the patient or family if no insurance existed. In this case, from what I saw, the insurance was billed for intensive outpatient therapy services per day for looks like 6 months,  and many days of partial hospitalization (at the beginning  early on in the billing and towards the last billing.

If they billed for services not rendered, that's enough for insurance fraud. I would love to know how many times they billed for Dr. Robbins after 2008. In a sworn deposition, Dr. Robbins testified that she had no affiliation with NNGA after 2008. Dr. Locarnini seems to have been taken by surprise, as well. 

It's going to be very interesting to see how this develops as the details come out.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline BMF

Wow.  Narconon Int was okay with it also as they get 10% of the corrected gross income for the center.  Bet they didnt do a Board of Investigation (per the policy) on the high money statistics.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,