Author Topic: After deaths at Narconon Arrowhead, Senator proposes legislation - 0 Minutes Ago - Mcalester News Ca  (Read 1473 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
After deaths at Narconon Arrowhead, Senator proposes legislation - 0 Minutes Ago - Mcalester News Capital
18 January 2013, 6:34 pm
 By Jeanne LeFlore Staff Writer

McALESTER — After several deaths at Narconon Arrowhead, a senator has proposed legislation to regulate private drug and alcohol facilities.

In August Sen. Tom Ivester (D-OK 26th District) told the News- Capital he would work with officials at Oklahoma’s Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services to author legislation aimed at “regulating questionable practices” at Narconon Arrowhead.

This month Sen. Ivester introduced Senate Bill 295 which broadens the scope of what the Board of Mental Health can do.

Narconon Arrowhead is a non-profit drug and alcohol rehabilitation center in Canadian  affiliated with the Church of Scientology.

The organization was under a multi-agency investigation since the July 19 death of Stacy Dawn Murphy, 20, of Owasso, by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, the Pittsburg County Sheriff's Office and the Department of Mental Health.

more at http://mcalesternews.com/breakingnews/x503826506/After-deaths-at-Narconon-Arrowhead-Senator-proposes-legislation
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 23:05 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
I could be wrong here, but I read a copy of the Bill that was sent to me and I didn't see anything in it that really clamped down.  Narconon new already that they were supposed to have some state oversight since the laws changed back when I was working there, per several legal opinions.  They worked out a deal with the state to only certify the withdrawal phase and leave the rest alone due to CARF accreditation.  If they didn't have to be certified, why even go for the withdrawal/non-medical detox portion?  If they did, why stop at only the first week in a three-month program?  It doesn't add up.

There would have been better ways to draft the legislation, IMHO, though I certainly give credit to Ivester for making an effort.  Hopefully it will come out of committee with new language that is more specific to the situation at hand, otherwise the Narconon lawyers can worm their way out of it as it's currently written. 

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:41 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I have a concern about the bill, but will withhold my comment so as not to give Narconon lawyers any help.   :D

Oklahoma legislators should study up on the many ways scientology and narconon have squirmed around laws in the past.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions