Author Topic: Man trying to sell Clearwater property using Church of Scientology as ... - Tampabay.com  (Read 1611 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Man trying to sell Clearwater property using Church of Scientology as ... - Tampabay.com
1 June 2011, 8:05 pm

CLEARWATER — The owner of a downtown auto garage claims to have an unusual bargaining chip in his attempts to sell his property: the Church of Scientology.

Charlie Gruver offered his old gas station, Gruver's Chevron Service, to the city for $1.5 million. He said its location, on the way to Clearwater Beach, was a good fit for the city's downtown redevelopment plans.

Officials opted against buying the property, balking at the asking price. That's when Gruver told them he would instead sell the land to church representatives, who he said had recently shown interest.

In few cities would such a gambit make sense. But the church's purchase last week, of two downtown acres for $6.7 million, led a frustrated Mayor Frank Hibbard to question why the land wasn't being kept on the tax rolls. The church is exempt from paying taxes on its religious facilities.

Gruver, 53, said that conflict meant he had an upper hand with the city. "Hell, they're buying everything else out there," he said.

more at http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/man-trying-to-sell-clearwater-property-using-church-of-scientology-as/1173106
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:01 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
Man trying to sell Clearwater property using Church of Scientology as ... - Tampabay.com
1 June 2011, 8:05 pm

CLEARWATER — The owner of a downtown auto garage claims to have an unusual bargaining chip in his attempts to sell his property: the Church of Scientology.

Charlie Gruver offered his old gas station, Gruver's Chevron Service, to the city for $1.5 million. He said its location, on the way to Clearwater Beach, was a good fit for the city's downtown redevelopment plans.

Officials opted against buying the property, balking at the asking price. That's when Gruver told them he would instead sell the land to church representatives, who he said had recently shown interest.

In few cities would such a gambit make sense. But the church's purchase last week, of two downtown acres for $6.7 million, led a frustrated Mayor Frank Hibbard to question why the land wasn't being kept on the tax rolls. The church is exempt from paying taxes on its religious facilities.

Gruver, 53, said that conflict meant he had an upper hand with the city. "Hell, they're buying everything else out there," he said.

more at http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/man-trying-to-sell-clearwater-property-using-church-of-scientology-as/1173106

Its mentality like this that aids in a cults expansion. Dollars signs take precedent over intellect and social responsibility.