Author Topic: Ignorant and Disgraceful! Georgia Senate Resolutions  (Read 8998 times)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Ignorant and Disgraceful! Georgia Senate Resolutions
« on: February 11, 2010, 23:39 »
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2009_10/fulltext/sr998.htm

10 LC 94 2070
Senate Resolution 998
By: Senators James of the 35th, Tate of the 38th and Seay of the 34th

A RESOLUTION

Commending the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps; and for other purposes.

WHEREAS, the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps is a program of the Church of Scientology that provides community service, disaster relief, and emergency response; and

WHEREAS, created over 30 years ago by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps has expanded over the years to include 203,000 volunteer ministers worldwide who have served at 126 international disaster sites, including Ground Zero after September 11th, the Southeast Asia tsunami, and Hurricane Katrina; and

WHEREAS, Volunteer Ministers have trained and partnered with over 800 different aid groups, organizations, and agencies, including the Red Cross, FEMA, the National Guard, and local police and fire departments; and

WHEREAS, the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps are currently serving in Haiti and the Dominican Republic to assist in the recovery efforts after the nation was devastated on January 12, 2010, by an 7.0 magnitude earthquake; and

WHEREAS, Volunteer Ministers provide organizational support to medical teams, helping them to focus on attending to the injured, and provide skilled logistical support to aid the recovery; and

WHEREAS, since the earthquake, Volunteer Ministers has transported 30,400 pounds of medical supplies, food, and water and 286 doctors, nurses, and medics to the nation, providing assistance to over 28,000 people; and

WHEREAS, the Volunteer Ministers' selfless service to the nation of Haiti and the survivors of one of the most catastrophic natural disasters in the history of the Western World stands as a true example of compassionate humanitarianism and is worthy of recognition.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE that the members of this body commend the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps on its tradition and history of service to others and extend their utmost respect and thanks for the Volunteer Ministers' altruistic service to the people of Haiti.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Secretary of the Senate is authorized and directed to transmit an appropriate copy of this resolution to the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps.

These Senators James of the 35th, Tate of the 38th and Seay of the 34th will be informed of the other side of the organization they have commended and are helping to promote.  Have they had their heads in the sand?

Donzella J. James of Atlanta (D-35 )

Donzella.James@senate.ga.gov
Capitol Office:
313-B Coverdell Legislative Office Building
Atlanta, Ga 30334
Phone: (404) 463-1379
Fax: (404) 656-6579
District Office:
3800 Pittman Road
College Park, Ga 30349
(404) 914-1285(C)

Horacena Tate of Atlanta (D-38 )

horacena.tate@senate.ga.gov
Capitol Office:
110-C State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30334
Phone: (404) 463-8053
Fax: (404) 463-7783
District Office:
201 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd. NW
Atlanta, GA 30314
(404) 577-5609

Senator Valencia Seay (D-34)

valencia.seay@senate.ga.gov
Capitol Office:
420-B State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30334
Phone: (404) 656-5095
Fax: (404) 657-9728
District Office:
P.O. Box 960008
Riverdale, GA 30274
Phone: (770) 909-9912 (O)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:26 by ethercat »
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Ignorant and Disgraceful! Georgia Senate Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:25 »
Another:
http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/fulltext/sr1000.htm

10 LC 94 2068
Senate Resolution 1000
By: Senators James of the 35th, Seay of the 34th, Buckner of the 44th and Tate of the 38th

A RESOLUTION

Recognizing and commending the Citizens Commission on Human Rights on the occasion of its 41st anniversary; and for other purposes.

WHEREAS, the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) has dedicated 41 years to restoring human rights in the field of mental health; and

WHEREAS, the CCHR has secured numerous reforms around the world, works diligently to safeguard others from abuses in the mental health system, and ensures that legal protections are afforded to mental health care patients; and

WHEREAS, the CCHR focuses its efforts on preventing inappropriate labeling of children, bringing to light the dangers of the current trend of using drugs to modify child behavior issues, and ensuring that patients are afforded the right of informed consent; and

WHEREAS, the CCHR deserves commendation for its valuable contributions at the local, national, and international level on behalf of mental health, and its outstanding record of service to improving the mental health status of all Georgians; and

WHEREAS, it is fitting that this body recognize and celebrate the contributions of the CCHR, an organization that has demonstrated outstanding commitment to protecting individuals within the mental health system.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE that the members of this body commend the Citizens Commission on Human Rights on 41 years of improving the quality of life for those with mental health issues and their families and extend congratulations on the occasion of its 41st anniversary.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Secretary of the Senate is authorized and directed to transmit an appropriate copy of this resolution to the Citizens Commission on Human Rights.

Senator Gail Buckner (D-44)

Gail.Buckner@senate.ga.gov
Capitol Office:
313-A Coverdell Legislative Office Building
Atlanta, Ga 30334
Phone: (404) 463-5260
Fax: (404) 656-6579
District Office:
7324 Cardif Place
Jonesboro, Ga 30236
Phone: (770) 473-9039 (O)

Narconon Reviews

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:03 »
I am writing each one of these officals a letter. Will you?

Offline Aquaman

• Met Xenu
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:58 »
Somehow, I suspect someone not only not in their district, but not even in their state will get much traction with them... :P

Offline Alp

• Joker and Degrader
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 23:45 »
Any bit helps Aqua. If I was a government official, I would be impressed that someone from out-of-state wanted to contact me about something, as long as that contact wasn't an obvious form letter.

For what its worth, I ran these people through the completions database, and nothing turned up. That doesn't mean that they are not scilons: the database is now several years old and could use some updating.
Religion is free. Scientology is neither.

Offline wynot

• Supressive Person
  • wynot
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:33 »
All of these reps home-pages show them as members of various Christian churches. In Georgia, even in the relatively sophisticated Atlanta area, you don't get elected to much if you aren't... Besides, can you imagine a dinky little cult like Scientology having three members in the government?  :D

'til next time;
wynot
"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

Jacob Riis

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 19:07 »
Would any of these dox ( http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/5822585/folder/157445 ) or links to the recent press conferences (many links here: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/media-coverage-la-press-conference-61387/ ) help?

Aqua: depending on HOW you write them (email or snail mail), you don't have to underscore and boldface the fact that you are not a current full-time resident, esp. given that you are in ATL every month (and thus affected by stuff going on there), and sometimes every other week.
MOAR:http://thebluemelreader.blogspot.com/2010/02/internet-group-protests-scientology-in.html
http://livelikedirt.blogspot.com/2010/02/scientology-goes-to-court-again.html
http://anon-galaxy.blogspot.com/2010/02/ex-scientologists-speak-out-to-mark.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 20:00 by Lorelei »
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Your morning jolt: Senators praise Scientology volunteers - Atlanta Journal Constitution (blog)
17 February 2010, 9:59 am

This may come as a surprise to some, but your Republican-controlled state Senate – usually known for catering to the concerns of conservative Christians – last week issued a sincere commendation to the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps.

SR 998 passed the chamber on Feb. 8. The sponsors were three Democrats: Donzella James of College Park, Horacena Tate of Atlanta, and Valencia Seay of Riverdale.

There was no recorded vote. Below are a few paragraphs from the measure:

WHEREAS, created over 30 years ago by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps has expanded over the years to include 203,000 volunteer ministers worldwide who have served at 126 international disaster sites, including Ground Zero after September 11th, the Southeast Asia tsunami, and Hurricane Katrina; and…

WHEREAS, the Scientology Volunteer Ministers Corps are currently serving in Haiti and the Dominican Republic to assist in the recovery efforts after the nation was devastated on January 12, 2010, by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake; and

WHEREAS, Volunteer Ministers provide organizational support to medical teams, helping them to focus on attending to the injured, and provide skilled logistical support to aid the recovery; and….

Somewhere, Tom Cruise is flashing that toothy smile.

found at: http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-jim-galloway/2010/02/17/your-morning-jolt-senators-praise-scientology-volunteers/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 19:51 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline seataka

• On the path to knowledge
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:07 »
  Postcards... with Hubbard's quote "The Man on the cross, there was no christ"
  with link to the .wav
  and the one about Christians and Moslems.. should be sent to every member of the senate and house
  and this problem would go away

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:15 »
  Postcards... with Hubbard's quote "The Man on the cross, there was no christ"
  with link to the .wav
  and the one about Christians and Moslems.. should be sent to every member of the senate and house
  and this problem would go away

Thank you, seataka!  Fantastic idea.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 18:32 »
I'm not so sure that would make the problem go away; it seems more to me that it's pitting religion against religion, and not quite so much hitting the relevant points of the matter.

While the post cards will educate people about the cult, and it's a very good and simple way to do that.

I say the post cards are an excellent idea but there needs to be more/other information given to the State Senate to expose why they messed up.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57 »
I agree, Stu. It really isn't the "religion" aspect that we protest, so mailing out cards addressing their "religion" (or lack thereof) contradicts what we normally do: focus on the human rights abuses and fraud and the people who have been hurt by Scientology.

However, including a link on mailed postcards to a website that covers these Hubbard quotes and policies? I'd say that this would be fair. It is just showing the politicians what the Scientologists themselves claim to believe. That keeps it out of a sticky "religion" quagmire that, honestly, I am not prepared to step into, myself.

And, yes, I know that this is EXACTLY why the campaigned so hard to get labeled a "religion," when Hubbard himself said, very clearly, that it wasn't: not only for the millions they'd save in wages and taxes, but also so they could cry "religious oppression!" and threaten to sue on those grounds whenever LEGITIMATE CRITICISM was levied against Scientology.

As for the duped politicians, there's a difference between being open-minded and willing to examine both sides of an issue, and being so open-minded that your brains fall out and you rubber-stamp any request from anybody without doing one's homework first. They should be ashamed, and perhaps the media would not mind shaming them. (I mean, what if they were asked to lend a pat on the back to a group that espoused, say, Nazi antisemitic beliefs, but were clever enough not to advertise that sort of thing in their group name? Wouldn't they be mortified to realize that they praised some Aryan bigots for their so-called "good works" because they were too lazy to do their homework and find out what the group they were praising was really like and what it really did and what it really stood for?) As either elected OR appointed officials representing the people in this state, they really owe us to do their due diligence before giving out PR rewards and kudos to any ol' jerk who demands one. All the more egregious, because 5 seconds spent on Google would have informed these people that the CCHR  is actively targeting people in the mental health profession as "enemies." Wouldn't it be ironic if any of those politicians ever saw a therapist or took a psychiatric drug to help themselves? Wouldn't they love to know that the CCHR would not approve of that, and would rather they go hold some cans and listen to the advice of a dead con man without any medical training or psychology degrees?

It's a shame, really.

ETA:THIS APPEARS TO BE A GLOBAL STRATEGY BEING DEPLOYED (GETTING POLITICIANS TO CONDONE / SUPPORT SCIENTOLOGY FRONT GROUPS LIKE THE CCHR). KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/02/23/the-libs-and-the-scientologists-the-film-they%E2%80%99re-happy-for-you-to-see/

New South Wales Liberal Party members are hosting Scientology propaganda screenings in Parliament House, but insist it’s the same invitation they would extend to any “community group” wishing to hold functions at Macquarie Street.

Meanwhile, David Clarke, the hard-right heavy who survived a pre-selection challenge on Friday to retain his upper-house seat, is claiming he was unaware of the film’s link to the religious cult. But this is the second time he has promoted Scientology in parliament.

On Thursday afternoon, the (CCHR), a global Scientology-backed organisation, will screen its film Making A Killing — “the untold story of psychotropic drugging” — at the parliamentary theatrette. Clarke made the booking.

NOTE: "Liberal" has a different political connotation outside of the United States, FWIW.

Human rights activists discuss:

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/crikey-libs-scientologists-film-they-re-happy-you-see-61977/#post1171334

CCHR revealed as a "hate group":

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/APA/14276

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:45 by Lorelei »

The Human Wiki.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 20:04 »
I agree, Stu. It really isn't the "religion" aspect that we protest, so mailing out cards addressing their "religion" (or lack thereof) contradicts what we normally do...

Erm, I am not "we," I am "I". 

Exposing these quotes does not address scientology's "religion" or lack of religion; instead, it exposes their anti-religious nature.  Hubbard, at one time or another, had nothing but bad things to say about any other religions he was aware of, with the possible exception of Buddhism.  With regard to Buddhism, he claimed that he himself was a reincarnation of the Buddha.  Whether that is a bad thing depends on what a Buddhist would think about Hubbard.

As for the duped politicians, there's a difference between being open-minded and willing to examine both sides of an issue, and being so open-minded that your brains fall out and you rubber-stamp any request from anybody without doing one's homework first. They should be ashamed, and perhaps the media would not mind shaming them. (I mean, what if they were asked to lend a pat on the back to a group that espoused, say, Nazi antisemitic beliefs, but were clever enough not to advertise that sort of thing in their group name?

There's a bit of that in Scientology too, along with the other anti-religious sentiments.  Scientologists comparing themselves being protested and criticized to an atrocity like the Holocaust, which they do frequently, is antisemitic.  Hubbard spoke of the "Jewish Bankers," a stereotype if there ever was one, who funded his enemies.  http://www.solitarytrees.net/cowen/go/aidescon/ac02fram.htm  I won't elaborate on the Nazi-like qualities of scientology due to time constraints, but anyone else who wants to, please go ahead.

As either elected OR appointed officials representing the people in this state, they really owe us to do their due diligence before giving out PR rewards and kudos to any ol' jerk who demands one.

This is the reprehensible part - if these senators wish to believe that the volunteer ministers are only in Haiti to do charitable acts, or that CCHR is right about pharmaceuticals, that is their privilege, but when they deign to speak for the citizens, they better well make sure that their speaking does actually represent the people's opinion.  It certainly doesn't represent mine, as a citizen of Georgia.

It's a shame, really.

I couldn't agree more.
   Narconon Reviews

• High Value Target
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 20:21 »
I agree, Stu. It really isn't the "religion" aspect that we protest, so mailing out cards addressing their "religion" (or lack thereof) contradicts what we normally do: focus on the human rights abuses and fraud and the people who have been hurt by Scientology.

Lor. I as an individual do protest against scientology from a religious angle. One, I do not view it as a religion. Two, as a Christian and a Catholic, scientology is completely at odd,s with my beliefs,from both a religious and political angle. Scientology is IMO anti-american government and anti-christian, anti human rights and a fraudulent entity.

Offline Sarcasm Pirate

• Merchant of Chaos
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 22:27 »
Lor. I as an individual do protest against scientology from a religious angle. One, I do not view it as a religion. Two, as a Christian and a Catholic, scientology is completely at odd,s with my beliefs,from both a religious and political angle. Scientology is IMO anti-american government and anti-christian, anti human rights and a fraudulent entity.

Mmkay. This I do have a problem with and maybe I am simply misreading your thoughts. If I am please correct me. I can be overly sensitive when it comes to religion. :-P

I personally see this as the absolute worst reason to be here protesting, ST. Of course that is just my personal opinion but there are a lot of things about scientology that are absolutely terrible. A very quick google search reveals just how much damage this cult has managed to do in the short time it has been around.  There is nothing in my mind that can refute how dangerous this organization can be and I will even agree to a point that their beliefs are for lack of a better term ‘crazy’.

To pit one religion against another in my mind though is terribly misguided.  This organization is trying to claim that they have been discriminated against because of their religious views.  It does not matter if you or I or anyone else thinks their choice to follow scientology is wrong they have the right to do so in this country.  It is not ‘Freedom of Religion’ for those who practice Christian based religions and not those who believe in things like thetans and auditing.  If they truly want to audit their way to where ever then we have no right to tell them otherwise.  To try and compare Christianity and scientology with one being presented as more valid than the other you are giving them exactly the kind of fuel they want.  They want to appear to be victims who have been discriminated against.

The simple fact remains that nothing, absolutely NOTHING about the Sandy Springs rezoning was based on discrimination against the cult but you can bet that they are looking for every scrap of proof they can find that someone somewhere had a personal vendetta against them. 

• High Value Target
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 23:26 »

Mmkay. This I do have a problem with and maybe I am simply misreading your thoughts. If I am please correct me. I can be overly sensitive when it comes to religion. :-P

I personally see this as the absolute worst reason to be here protesting, ST. Of course that is just my personal opinion but there are a lot of things about scientology that are absolutely terrible. A very quick google search reveals just how much damage this cult has managed to do in the short time it has been around.  There is nothing in my mind that can refute how dangerous this organization can be and I will even agree to a point that their beliefs are for lack of a better term ‘crazy’.

To pit one religion against another in my mind though is terribly misguided.  This organization is trying to claim that they have been discriminated against because of their religious views.  It does not matter if you or I or anyone else thinks their choice to follow scientology is wrong they have the right to do so in this country.  It is not ‘Freedom of Religion’ for those who practice Christian based religions and not those who believe in things like thetans and auditing.  If they truly want to audit their way to where ever then we have no right to tell them otherwise.  To try and compare Christianity and scientology with one being presented as more valid than the other you are giving them exactly the kind of fuel they want.  They want to appear to be victims who have been discriminated against.

The simple fact remains that nothing, absolutely NOTHING about the Sandy Springs rezoning was based on discrimination against the cult but you can bet that they are looking for every scrap of proof they can find that someone somewhere had a personal vendetta against them.
  SP. I respect your opinion. It is your right. I protest against scientology in my own manner, just as you protest against scientology in the manner of your choosing.

I would be lying to myself, If I did not hold true to my beliefs. I do not protest in Sandy Springs because of some rezoning issue. From day one my activism has been  centered around morality, good verses evil if you will. I am in no way attempting to influence anyone in any way. I protest for what I believe is right. I am asserting my individuality and exercising my 1ST amendment right.

How scientology or anyone else interprets my stance is not a concern to me. As long as I abide by the Federal ,State and locals laws, I will continue to be protest. My personal beliefs on why I protest are mine and mine alone.

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 02:12 »
When I say "we" do not ordinarily protest (what Scientologists profess to be) their religious beliefs, i don't have any way of judging what you do individually, but I have not noticed any of the group protests being focused on beliefs, only practices. "We" have not taken them to task via signs or slogans or related protest materials for their BELIEFS, and, frankly, I never will.

If I have to clarify the use of "we" every time I use it here, lest someone think I am speaking for them in some way, I'll be glad to do that. I honestly thought it was pretty clear I was referring to what people who have attended some / many of the protests have APPARENTLY--based on first hand observation and the signage displayed--been focused on protesting.

But, OK, perhaps you misunderstood my use of "we", since it has been a sensitive word to use lately. A bad word, maybe. I would not want to falsely imply that we get along in the name of a common set of goals or anything, if that is not the case for YOU. I am only remarking on what I, personally, have observed. "We"--meaning the usual loosely assembled various parties who attend protests--have not--to my recollection or knowledge--taken Scienos to task over what they supposedly believe, religion-wise (or pretend-religion-wise). "We"--meaning the usual loosely assembled various parties who attend protests--have--or so it appeared to me--only focused on the horrible POLICIES of the cult, and how those policies hurt people; and on their illegal activities and fraud; and their various front groups (which engage in the exact same horrible behavior, and sometimes worse). If there was someone parading around shouting "your religious beliefs SUCK!" at Scientologists, I am afraid I missed that. I am aware that many of the protesters may feel that way, but they have had the common sense not to muddy the waters by getting off-target--again, as far as I have observed--by bringing vocal disapproval of the cultists' advertised "religious BELIEFS" to the protests.

If anyone wants to protest their beliefs, that is your bag, but I am not down with that. Obviously, I don't agree with their views of religion, but they can be as whack-a-doo as they want to be up to the point it veers into human rights abuses, illegal activities, harassment of critics and ex-Scientologists and fraud, and any front groups do the same thing. In other words, their right so sling Xenu and body thetans and LRH tech around ends where those beliefs might interfere with the health, well-being, financial security, mental or physical health, etc., of ANYONE else, even their "co-religionists."

Personally, and speaking for no one but me, as usual, I do not see any benefit in protesting with anyone who is using the human rights issues "we" (as in "me, and everyone I've protested with before who has not openly made the cult's religious beliefs a focus of any protest that I, personally, have witnessed when participating in protesting") as a only some sort of plank to forward any kind of "hey, Scienos, your (so-called) religion sucks" criticism, which can be justifiably seen as intolerant, and not just by butthurt cultists.

Personally, I DO care about Sandy Springs zoning issues, and the slippery slope that allowing one group to stomp all over them (just because they are threatening lawlsuits) would lead to. I'm familiar with that area, and the issues it has with traffic, parking, visual pollution and line-of-sight blockades due to excessively large or inappropriately located signage and I am not happy with the idea of cutting down old growth trees, etc., just to shoehorn a group into a building which they knew, when they purchased it, would be unsuitable for their needs. These are serious zoning problems as far as I am concerned, and I would be outraged if ANY group sought to bully all of Sandy Springs just to get their way when their neighbors DO NOT WANT the rules bent just for that group and don't want that for good reasons, none of which have much at all to do with WHO is occupying the building, or whatever they pretend to or profess to believe.

But, hey, that is sort of the beauty of not engaging in groupthink: we all protest for different reasons. I focus on the cult's DEEDS and POLICIES that suck, not the "religious" BELIEFS they may or may not profess to have, which, from all appearances, suck--but are not something I see as my personal business.

And, to be clear, saying "LOL XENU" is not being a hateful bigot, nor is it protesting someone's religion. Just because someone does not like hearing "LOL XENU" (or "LOL JESUS" or "LOL ALLAH" or "LOL FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER"), it doesn't make it hateful, or an attempt to deny anyone their right to believe whatever they want--as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else in any way.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:04 by Lorelei »

The Human Wiki.

• High Value Target
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 09:25 »
 Each of us came to the table with a different take on why we protest scientology. I respect each and every one of those opinions. I neither ask of or am forcing the hows and whys of why i protest this organization on anyone.

I will continue to voice my opposition against scientology. I learned about scientology from first hand experience,while working for Golden Era Productions (Gold Base) in Hemet California. I was educated on what scientology was by a local religious organization here in the state of Georgia. Had it not been for that religious organization and personal experience, I would never have had any knowledge that scientology was a cult. This goes back, many many years.

I came to the first protest in 2008 based on that past and my personal beliefs. On that note nothing has changed.

Now scientology has been approved to renovate and occupy its building @ 5395 Roswell Rd, within the city limits of Sandy Springs Georgia. They have been denied closure of the below ground parking area and other property modifications. That issue is now a matter within the court system.

Which ever way the courts rule, this fact still remains. Scientology has been granted approval to use the building. There is nothing I can do to change that. Yet I can protest against scientology @ 5395 Rowsell Rd, just as I did @ the Shallowford Rd location in Dunwoody over a 2 year period.

I will carry myself and act in the same lawful manner as I did on Shallowford rd in Dunwoody.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 22:39 »
When I say "we" do not ordinarily protest (what Scientologists profess to be) their religious beliefs, i don't have any way of judging what you do individually, but I have not noticed any of the group protests being focused on beliefs, only practices. "We" have not taken them to task via signs or slogans or related protest materials for their BELIEFS, and, frankly, I never will.

If I have to clarify the use of "we" every time I use it here, lest someone think I am speaking for them in some way, I'll be glad to do that. I honestly thought it was pretty clear I was referring to what people who have attended some / many of the protests have APPARENTLY--based on first hand observation and the signage displayed--been focused on protesting.

Please pardon the misunderstanding; I was trying to make it clear that if I were to send out these types of postcards, with Hubbard's anti-religious quotes on them, that I would be doing it as myself, and not suggesting that anyone else would (or should) be responsible, since it seemed to be a somewhat provocative idea.  I wasn't thinking about protesting, since that wasn't the topic of the thread (at least not when I jumped in), or I must have missed it if anyone suggested protesting the state senators responsible for the "resolutions."  Nor was I suggesting anything that was a protest of the "religion," but just suggesting that I thought it was a good idea to expose the anti-religious nature of scientology, for the reasons I explained in the above post.

That said, there are many who are enthusiastic about harnessing the power of the Catholics verbalizing their distaste for scientology and all it stands for, not necessarily for the "religion," but for the abuses.

And, to be clear, saying "LOL XENU" is not being a hateful bigot, nor is it protesting someone's religion. Just because someone does not like hearing "LOL XENU" (or "LOL JESUS" or "LOL ALLAH" or "LOL FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER"), it doesn't make it hateful, or an attempt to deny anyone their right to believe whatever they want--as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else in any way.

Like it or not, Xenu is a part of scientology's "religion," just as much as auditing or touch assists.  It just happens to be a secret part of the "religion" which one doesn't find out about until s/he has progressed far enough (paid enough money and taken enough courses) to be ready for it.  Saying "LOL XENU" is roughly equivalent to saying "LOL SATAN" to a Christian.  (I say "roughly" because Christianity makes no secret of Satan.)  No, not hateful, or bigoted, or other hyperbole which scientologists jump to all the time, but certainly not a very nice thing to say to a Christian.

However, there is an interesting paradox in protesting against the abuses of scientology while not wanting to protest against the "religion."  The very writings which are considered the "religion" are the same ones that trigger the abuses, and I say that you cannot protest the abuses without protesting the "religion" (such as it is, and I personally don't consider it a religion). 

So what is one to do?  Keep quiet?

Narconon Reviews

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 10:17 »
So what is one to do?  Keep quiet?

Of course keeping quiet is not an option, if opposing the cult is one's desire.

The biggest danger is trying to convince the government, on a political level, that Scientology is not a religion. Why? They don't CARE. The Government – on any level within the United States – has no ability to determine what is and is not a religion.

Ppitting Scientology's faith-based statement of "There was no Christ" against "Yuh huh there was!" is the same to the government as the people who protest because they think Barack Obama is Muslim, and they think he'll invoke Sharia law.  It becomes a matter of religious preference, and not a matter of people's actions and an organizations' policy.

LOL XENU! equated to LOL SATAN! is about right: It's Scientoilogists' right to believe in the existence of a galactic ruler gone bad, as it is for a Christian to believe in a power of darkness, as it is for Hindus and Wiccans and however many others to  believe in a slew of deities of various degrees of goodness and evil.

And the people who don't believe have the complete right not to, and to make fun of other people's religions.  If that weren't the case, then every time someone said "LOL SATAN!" then any devil worshiper or Christian in the area would have a right to avenge in a court of law.  It would simply become a huge legal battle about whose faith is the best one.

That's why the fight against Scientology is the abuses against their members and their critics, their danger to a nation's government, and their disregard for both law and general morality.

A huge caveat is acting like Scientology in our claims against Scientology. The cult will point out one critic, and make that a broad claim against all critics. The personal actions of Scientologists must not be the issue; rather the actions of Scientologists in terms of Scientology's corporate policy, giving it the light of mandated behavior, will catch attention much better.

Just using references to Xenu and Scientology's denial of historically and scientifically proven information will again look like a religious claim. Decades of calculations have proven that the universe is billions of years old, yet there are groups who believe everything is a few thousand years old, or even trying to say that dinosaurs and humans coexisted when this is undeniably false under legitimate scientific scrutiny. Those groups are still considered legitimate. They can believe whatever they like regarding science. It does not invalidate the organization. Rather, focus on the harm they do to people. Their belief that everything besides physical injury can be cured with dangerously high doses of vitamins and minerals, and harmful amounts of time in saunas, which have all been medically (ahem: scientifically) proven deleterious to people's health, will strike much more of the right chord to politicians' ears.

Stepping away from religious policy does not leave critics of Scientology empty handed. Quite to the contrary, it clears away the unimportant information, leaving a slew of abuses from all angles against both members and opponents. These are the things that will topple the cult as it is today. These are the things that will eliminate the corporation's tax exempt status. These are the things that will ban certain dangerous practices, result in massive health inspections, lead to a massive exposure of what Scientology has been allowed to be for so long.

Edit: To be a little more clear, I'm not saying that protesting because of what Scientology believes is necessarily bad.  There are "scriptures" which mandate some horrible activities.  But it's a very bad idea to take the religious stance when attempting to educate the Government about the cult.  Any time in the past a cult has been taken down, it has been over harmful practices, and not due to whether the group was a religion.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 17:17 by Stutroup »