Author Topic: Los Angeles Public Schools Paid Nearly $500000 To Scientology-Tied Tutoring ... - Huffington Post  (Read 3311 times)

Offline News Thetan

• News Reporter
  • The Who
    • Reaching For The Tipping Point
Los Angeles Public Schools Paid Nearly $500000 To Scientology-Tied Tutoring ... - Huffington Post
10 July 2012, 12:24 pm
By Laura Hibbard

According to documents obtained by The Daily, Los Angeles public schools invested nearly half a million dollars in a tutoring program tied to Scientology.

Based on invoices obtained by The Daily through a public records request, the district paid $447,338 to Applied Scholastics International, an after school tutoring program, between November 2008 and February of this year.

Radar Online reports programs for after-school tutoring are required under the No Child Left Behind law for troubled schools with low-income students.

Despite being based on the theories of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, school officials have been adamant the program is separate from the church, according to Radar Online.

What's more, a report looking at the 2009-2010 school year showed students who received tutoring in the Applied Scholastics program earned lower standardized math and language test scores in comparison to students who did not participate.

more at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/los-angeles-schools-paid-half-million-scientology-tutoring_n_1662095.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 18:52 by mefree »
In the case of news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.  --Voltaire

I am a bot.  I cannot reply to your messages, PMs, or emails.  I collect the news and post it; that is my function for this lifetime.

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
Ahhh yes.  "Dr" Hanan Islam and the World Literacy Crusade.  They do NN programs in a warehouse.  Ive been in it.  She tried to go to Fl and got booted.
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Ahhh yes.  "Dr" Hanan Islam and the World Literacy Crusade.  They do NN programs in a warehouse.  Ive been in it.  She tried to go to Fl and got booted.

Dr. Hanan is also co-founder of the American Health and Education Clinics, a certified drug and alcohol treatment and alternative mental health facility.

She oversees many of the branches here at the World Literacy Crusade, including our international literacy program, our drug rehabilitation and mental health clinic, and she even recently founded a new organization dedicated to increasing the funding of deserving non-profits and churches nationwide.

http://www.worldliteracy.org/about/executive-bios-founder%E2%80%99s-message
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
Her consulting group was found to have been paid lots of $$$ on the Florida deal even when things werent going well for the school.

These groups she founded seem to be akin to the AFR or BDR rebranding scheme to funnel insurance or gov money to the church.  The American Health and Education Clinic im sure prescribes the NN program as treatment or the Applied scholastics for edcational needs.  Double dipper.

Dr. Hanan is also co-founder of the American Health and Education Clinics, a certified drug and alcohol treatment and alternative mental health facility.

She oversees many of the branches here at the World Literacy Crusade, including our international literacy program, our drug rehabilitation and mental health clinic, and she even recently founded a new organization dedicated to increasing the funding of deserving non-profits and churches nationwide.

http://www.worldliteracy.org/about/executive-bios-founder%E2%80%99s-message
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline Scottevans

• New Around Here
With this discussion I found that the Dr. Hanan is very talented.
I am an Engineer a banned spammer.

Offline CoolHand

• Actual Trouble Source
  • Truth Revealed
With this discussion I found that the Dr. Hanan is very talented.

Talented at swindling people out of their money and leaving economic wreckage in her wake?  I don't think the families at the Charter School in Florida would use "talented" as an adjective to describe her.

Offline HolyTP

• New Around Here
Not sure if this is the right place,  but new Superintendent Education in Florida is a Bush ally,  and he has favored charters, favored "alternative" testing, grading, vouchers, private, and hooked in with ALEC it looks like.  He got booted out of Indiana so naturally Rick Scott swooped him up to do damage here in Florida.  Jeez.

Just thought I'd give a heads up.  Will have to keep an eye out for this one and Applied Scholastics/ABLE front group activity.

Former Indiana superintendent is Florida's new education commissioner

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/former-indiana-superintendent-is-floridas-new-education-commissioner/1265783

http://boston.com/community/blogs/rock_the_schoolhouse/2012/11/dont_count_your_chickens_befor.html  (mentions of American Legislative Exchange Council)

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Apparently, everyone's not snowed.

Melissa Erickson, past president of the Hillsborough County PTA council, said she could not back the appointment of Bennett, whom she saw as dismissive of parent interests in promoting his agenda in Indiana.

"He was completely unresponsive to the requests and desires of parents to be more involved in Indiana," said Erickson, who runs the Alliance for Public Schools. "I don't expect he is going to drastically change the way he does business coming here."

She suggested the selection contrasts with Gov. Rick Scott's commitment to recent promises, such as reduced testing.

"This pick does not support the things he's saying he thinks Florida children deserve," Erickson said.

Florida Education Association president Andy Ford deplored Bennett's appointment.

"He is a champion of the testing mania, unchecked expansion of charter schools and voucher programs and has proven to advance the Jeb Bush education agenda that has drawn fire from teachers, parents and experts in the field," Ford wrote in a statement. "That's the same approach that has led to a flawed and chaotic system in Florida that has frustrated parents and teachers alike."
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Not sure if this is the right place,  but new Superintendent Education in Florida is a Bush ally,  and he has favored charters, favored "alternative" testing, grading, vouchers, private, and hooked in with ALEC it looks like.  He got booted out of Indiana so naturally Rick Scott swooped him up to do damage here in Florida.  Jeez.

Just thought I'd give a heads up.  Will have to keep an eye out for this one and Applied Scholastics/ABLE front group activity.

Former Indiana superintendent is Florida's new education commissioner

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/former-indiana-superintendent-is-floridas-new-education-commissioner/1265783

http://boston.com/community/blogs/rock_the_schoolhouse/2012/11/dont_count_your_chickens_befor.html  (mentions of American Legislative Exchange Council)

Thanks for the heads up, HolyTP. And  :w:e:l:c:o:m:e:  to Tipping Point! 
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline snippy

• Supressive Person
He might have a great vision, but he says this:
I want to create a culture where every member of the community sees teachers as creators of knowledge.

Does that mean he wants the community to think teachers just make shit up.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 16:46 by snippy »