Author Topic: Monday: Narconon seeks to block release of records of staff - Tulsa World  (Read 10849 times)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
Yeah!!

News6Online
Narconon Records Could Prove Oklahoma Employee Misconduct
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 10:44 PM EDT Updated: Sep 21, 2012 8:34 AM EDT

McALESTER, Oklahoma -

An Oklahoma drug rehab facility is being forced to hand over records that could possibly disclose that some employees are trading drugs in exchange for sex with patients.

(see news video embedded into article)

The Oklahoma Supreme Court denied Narconon Arrowhead's request to keep those documents protected.

The documents will soon be released to the attorney representing the family of a young woman who overdosed after being released from the facility in 2008.

That attorney said the facility considers employee records confidential, because many are former patients, so releasing them would violate Narconon's physician-patient privilege.

The attorney will not be able to disclose the details within those documents with the public, at this time, but he said they may contain evidence of employee misconduct. [..] read on for more
http://www.newson6.com/story/19601161/narconon-to-release-records-that-might-prove-employee-misconduct

http://www.newson6.com/category/121535/video-page?clipId=7749879&autostart=true
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 20:25 by Mary_McConnell »
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
That attorney said the facility considers employee records confidential, because many are former patients, so releasing them would violate Narconon's physician-patient privilege.

That's a convenient excuse, but names can be redacted.  It's the substance of the records that matters, not the names.  And at some point, when they cross the line between "patients" and employees, it's no longer a valid excuse.  If Narconon wants to consider the clients "patients" then they need to be under the scrutiny that applies to all other medical settings.

It's also hypocritical, considering the "success stories" showing people's faces that are released on YouTube by the various Narconons.

I'm glad the judge in Oklahoma isn't falling for the BS.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
So...At least the Judge could figure out 'Employee' records are not 'Patient' records. But could narCONon's arguement be taken as an 'on the record' admission for use in other cases they are actually using "patients" to operate the facility??

BigBeard

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
They have separate files for staff and students.  If a student joins staff, a separate staff folder is made up and kept in Div 1.  I have seen them.  Nothing confidential about them.....
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline BigBeard

• Hill 10 Situation
They have separate files for staff and students.  If a student joins staff, a separate staff folder is made up and kept in Div 1.  I have seen them.  Nothing confidential about them.....

I don't doubt that for a second. What I'm wondering is if the arguement narCONon made, that the records shouldn't be released because the staff were formerly patients, can be used to show that narCONon is using untrained people to staff their facilities??
BigBeard

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I don't doubt that for a second. What I'm wondering is if the arguement narCONon made, that the records shouldn't be released because the staff were formerly patients, can be used to show that narCONon is using untrained people to staff their facilities??

Another foot-bullet for sure. So far, judges are not buying this reason for keeping records under seal, while Narconon reveals the regular practice of recruiting and employing former students.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Landmeier Judge Orders Narconon Attorney to Produce Records
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 09:11 »
Landmeier Case: Very important move on the judge's part. One of the Narconon attorneys is trying get those whose records were ordered by the supreme court to be released to the plaintiffs,  to fight them being produced. The judge found out and now orders the attorney to produce all his records. :)

The title of this is incorrect. It should say COURT ORDERS NARCONON ATTORNEY TO PRODUCE RECORDS. I emailed the reporter for corrrection.
Court orders Narconon Arrowhead patients to produce records in lawsuit - See more at
http://www.mcalesternews.com/breakingnews/x1353069400/Court-orders-Narconon-Arrowhead-patients-to-produce-records-in-lawsuit
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Sunshine

• Merchant of Chaos
Narconon always hides behind the federal laws regarding the rights of a recovering drug/alcohol when it comes time to divulge personal information (yet they violate all the time), but according to this article it that is not always correct.

The ADA provides that any employee or job applicant who is “currently engaging” in the illegal use of drugs is not a “qualified individual with a disability.”
http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/ada/ch4.htm

And Title 42
(a) Qualified individual with a disability
For purposes of this subchapter, a qualified individual with a disability shall not include any employee or applicant who is currently engaging in the illegal use of drugs, when the covered entity acts on the basis of such use.
(b) Rules of construction
Nothing in subsection (a) of this section shall be construed to exclude as a qualified individual with a disability an individual who—
(1) has successfully completed a supervised drug rehabilitation program and is no longer engaging in the illegal use of drugs, or has otherwise been rehabilitated successfully and is no longer engaging in such use;
(2) is participating in a supervised rehabilitation program and is no longer engaging in such use; or
(3) is erroneously regarded as engaging in such use, but is not engaging in such use;
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/12114

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Where is that document that showed the letter sent to the "respondents"?  I remember seeing it, but can't remember where it was.  We need it in here too.

Narconon always hides behind the federal laws regarding the rights of a recovering drug/alcohol when it comes time to divulge personal information (yet they violate all the time), but according to this article it that is not always correct.

The ADA provides that any employee or job applicant who is “currently engaging” in the illegal use of drugs is not a “qualified individual with a disability.”
http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/ada/ch4.htm

And Title 42
(a) Qualified individual with a disability
For purposes of this subchapter, a qualified individual with a disability shall not include any employee or applicant who is currently engaging in the illegal use of drugs, when the covered entity acts on the basis of such use.
(b) Rules of construction
Nothing in subsection (a) of this section shall be construed to exclude as a qualified individual with a disability an individual who—
(1) has successfully completed a supervised drug rehabilitation program and is no longer engaging in the illegal use of drugs, or has otherwise been rehabilitated successfully and is no longer engaging in such use;
(2) is participating in a supervised rehabilitation program and is no longer engaging in such use; or
(3) is erroneously regarded as engaging in such use, but is not engaging in such use;
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/12114

Good catch, Sunshine! 
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
 Here are the dox, courtesy of WWP :)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
^^^^^
Judge Bland;

This transmission is being sent to you regarding the Landmeier vs. Narconon of Oklahoma Civil Case.

The Defendants will be objecting to the Student, Trainee, or Employee records that have been selected for production in your Court on Dec. 3rd.

The Students, Trainees or Employees are not being notified that any Records being produced have a Protective Order applied to them.

The individuals that have been selected are basically being encouraged to object to their Records being produced in your Court.

The Board of Directors of Narconon of Oklahoma, Inc., have retained McAlester attorney Jeffrey H. Contreras to file these objections in your Court.

Mr. Contreras has represented a few Narconon Arrowhead Staff Members in the past. After reviewing his criminal record, it is my belief Mr. Contreras has either attended the NN AH program or is a graduate.

Also, Mr. Contreras stood in as representation for Erica Catton during her Divorce Proceedings with Lucas Catton, former Narconon Arrowhead President.

I am sending this to you in order to preempt a waste of the Court’s time. The Defendants are seeking to delay these proceedings in any way that they can, as they have for the past few years.

The recipient of the attached letters wishes to remain anonymous unless asked to come forward by the Court with the originals as received.

~ Anonymous

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Thank you, source and Mary.  I saved a copy to my infinite hard drive.
   Narconon Reviews

Offline source

• Merchant of Chaos
I think what will be interesting when this comes to light is what the handling is for Narconon staff members who used drugs or brought drugs onto the premises of a drug rehab and used drugs with other staff, trainees or students.

I would love to see the questions on the deposition.

"And you are a counselor there?  And you brought drugs into the center and used drugs with others there?  How did Narconon handle this situation?"

"Well, I had to sit in a chair with my eyes closed for 50 hours and then write up all the other bad things that I did and turn them in.  Afterwards I made some clay models of me using drugs, looked some words up in a dictionary and had to vacuum the center for a couple weeks."

"So, you had less sobriety than many of the people you were now helping to get off of drugs.  Did Narconon recommend any therapy or counseling for you?"

I could go on and on with this all day long. 

Offline 10oriocookies

• Hill 10 Situation
  • "Sandy!!!!??????"
In some centers you can go to the local church and do your handling concurrent with working. They have to pay you while doing "training".  Its the "greatest good".
ET went home.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
January 7, 2014

Attorney in Narconon Arrowhead lawsuit calls ruling a "Big Win"
By Jeanne LeFlore Staff Writer
McAlester News Capital

McALESTER —  A judge ruled Tuesday that hundreds of records of Narconon Arrowhead clients, trainees and employees related to incidents of drug or alcohol must be released  in connection with an ongoing lawsuit.

“Its a big win for the family and for the state of Oklahoma,” said attorney Donald Smollen.

Smollen represents the family of Heather Landmeier, a Narconon graduate who has been in a vegetative state since she overdosed on heroin and OxyContin. ...[..]

- See more at: http://www.mcalesternews.com/breakingnews/x1956152468/Attorney-in-Narconon-Arrowhead-lawsuit-call-ruling-a-Big-Win#sthash.OkGdWKo5.dpuf
- See more at: http://www.mcalesternews.com/breakingnews/x1956152468/Attorney-in-Narconon-Arrowhead-lawsuit-call-ruling-a-Big-Win

Yup! It's a BIG WIN!

Offline Suppressive Person

• Met Xenu
Very happy to see this. It is a big win not only for this particular case - but because it also sets precedent for future cases.  Yay!
When we remember that we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
-- Mark Twain

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
^^^^

Y--O-|| ||||||||\\\\\\\:D

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
NARCONON DENIED: Damaging Oklahoma report on Scientology rehab facility will be turned over - The Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/09/23/narconon-denied-damaging-oklahoma-report-on-scientology-rehab-facility-will-be-turned-over/#more-17038

Judge orders state to turn over investigative report on Narconon
TULSA WORLD: Detailed story on the OK court order to release state report about Narconon, as well as reporting on details on Narconon Arrowhead Detox facility, it's investigations and it's woes
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/judge-orders-state-to-turn-over-investigative-report-on-narconon/article_0a65c9c7-d041-5b15-9a02-e327f74f4bae.html

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Oklahoma Judge Rules Attorney Can See Narconon Investigation Report
Tess Maune, News On 6 Tulsa, OK
Posted: Sep 23, 2014 10:51 PM EST Updated: Sep 23, 2014 10:51 PM EST

Fair use excerpt 
McALESTER, Oklahoma - A select few will know what investigators found inside the walls of a controversial Oklahoma drug rehab facility where three patients died.

A judge ruled Friday attorneys suing Narconon Arrowhead should see the investigators' report, but the patients' families are still fighting for the report to be made public.

A father's grief has become his mission. Robert Murphy's daughter Stacy, is one of three patients who died in rehab at Narconon Arrowhead in less than a year's time.

“I see God's blessing even in our loss,” he said. “It doesn't take the pain away, but it definitely puts purpose to it.”

Stacy's death was ruled an overdose, but her father says employees at the Scientology-based facility knew his daughter was on the verge of an O.D., but let her die.

The two other deaths remain a mystery. The medical examiner could never figure how Gabriel Graves or Hilary Holten died.

“Knowing they're still open and operating and still doing the same things that they're doing to the public, it's something I can't accept. They have to be closed,” Murphy said.
... read on for more and see the newscast video

http://www.newson6.com/story/26610948/oklahoma-judge-rules-attorney-can-see-narconon-investigation-report