Author Topic: Extricating oneself from a "Front Group" business which uses Hubbard's teachings  (Read 5626 times)

Offline wakingup0211

• New Around Here
I feel very comforted that I've found this forum.... thank you for existing here.

I'm currently highly concerned that a person I care about deeply has been working for a business, which is in the "helping profession" that subscribes fully to Hubbard's system of management. Almost a year and a half down the line now, this person has taken more & more courses, traveled to specific scientology "meccas" and has finally realized with full conviction (along with one other employee) that she wants no part of this kind of training or influence any longer.

Ofcourse what she and her co-worker "fear" is that there will be serious backlash and consequence to them wanting to leave their job and/or just propose they stay without subscribing to any more scientology. The finesse and prescribed manipulation of this system of management, as you all probably all know, is that the employers (who seem to be "brainwashed") will likely have a way to either try to convince these two people to stay with the program as-is, or, will threaten to make these two employees pay for all of the money spent on these expensive scientology-based "management" and "NRT" training courses that they have gone to already.

Unfortunately, these to people think they have signed contracts (when they were hired and very naive) saying that they will go ahead with taking these "management" and "NRT" courses and... without confirmation from their memories [they are going to look for copies of their contracts] that they'll have to repay the business if they were to leave.

I'm writing for support for these two vulnerable people. And for any advice on how to extricate oneself when you are already "in" and knowledgable. I keep seeing suits for this sort of thing: the employer's end up firing people which can be sketchy as it seems it is b/c of the employee not accepting a "Religion" in the workplace. Does that actually have clout or have Hubbard's people found a legal way around all of this by having separate trademarks, institutions, etc? I know for fact that the books that these people have had to do all of their courses in have "scientology" branded all over them.

I feel sick and a little nervous... any help very appreciated!!!!

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
I suggest they research the laws of the state they are in to see if they can be legally fired for not taking part in this "training".  Laws differ from state to state.   

These contracts are probably not worth the paper they are written on in the real world.  In Scientology they are called "Freeloader" debts and are just another mecanism for controlling their followers.  I doubt they would stand up in a court of law.
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Hi wakingup0211, and welcome to Reaching for the Tipping Point.

I feel very comforted that I've found this forum.... thank you for existing here.

Awww, thank you; that makes us feel good.   :)

I'm currently highly concerned that a person I care about deeply has been working for a business, which is in the "helping profession" that subscribes fully to Hubbard's system of management. Almost a year and a half down the line now, this person has taken more & more courses, traveled to specific scientology "meccas" and has finally realized with full conviction (along with one other employee) that she wants no part of this kind of training or influence any longer.

Well, that is good to hear, at least she and the other employee have recognized it and don't want, instead of wanting more and more and wanting to pull you into it too.   :)

Ofcourse what she and her co-worker "fear" is that there will be serious backlash and consequence to them wanting to leave their job and/or just propose they stay without subscribing to any more scientology. The finesse and prescribed manipulation of this system of management, as you all probably all know, is that the employers (who seem to be "brainwashed") will likely have a way to either try to convince these two people to stay with the program as-is, or, will threaten to make these two employees pay for all of the money spent on these expensive scientology-based "management" and "NRT" training courses that they have gone to already.

The fact of the matter is, depending on what state (if in the US) it is, the employers may be able to fire the employees for any reason (or no reason) that they choose (in a "right-to-work" state), and the employees can leave any time they want, but both would be subject to any pre-existing contracts which could result in a lawsuit if not upheld.  If they say they don't want to take the courses any more, the employer may invent another reason to let them go, and it might be difficult to prove otherwise.  To counteract this, your friends should begin making detailed notes on everything that happens in their workplace to support any potential claims they may need to make.  They should not let the employer know they are doing this, though.

If the employer realizes that firing them for not taking the courses is against the law, and decides to let them stay without taking the courses, they may be subject to never receiving raises or promotions, and other forms of "passive agressive" retaliation.  All of these things would be difficult to prove also.

Unfortunately, these to people think they have signed contracts (when they were hired and very naive) saying that they will go ahead with taking these "management" and "NRT" courses and... without confirmation from their memories [they are going to look for copies of their contracts] that they'll have to repay the business if they were to leave.

I am fairly certain that it is against federal law to require employees to take religious courses or attend religious events.  If that is the case, these types of contracts won't hold up, in my opinion (I, however, am not a lawyer).  They do need to find and read any contracts they signed.  Many employers, if they pay for (non-religious) classes or training, do require employees to repay if they leave the company before a designated time period - but there should be a time period stated, not something open-ended.  I don't believe any court would uphold a contract that required an employee to stay their entire life at a job in order to avoid repaying tuition.  (My company requires employees to stay for one year after the class is completed, or repay the tuition, but that refers to academic classes or technical training.)

I'm writing for support for these two vulnerable people. And for any advice on how to extricate oneself when you are already "in" and knowledgable. I keep seeing suits for this sort of thing: the employer's end up firing people which can be sketchy as it seems it is b/c of the employee not accepting a "Religion" in the workplace. Does that actually have clout or have Hubbard's people found a legal way around all of this by having separate trademarks, institutions, etc? I know for fact that the books that these people have had to do all of their courses in have "scientology" branded all over them.

You are a good friend to be concerned about them.

What does the term "NRT" courses mean, in this context? 

Is this in the United States?  If so, you might contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: http://www.eeoc.gov/ for their guidance about the laws that apply.  The laws might also depend on how many people are employed by this company (and I don't encourage you to give too many specific details here in public). 

In addition to Federal Laws, which the EEOC deals with, there are also many states that have enacted their own laws along similar lines.

One caution about the EEOC is that they're geared to helping people keep their jobs, not extracting them from the business, although they do sometimes sue on behalf of a dismissed employee.  Your friends might be better off finding new jobs (almost certainly, they will) if they can, and then dealing with any repayment clauses if they come up as a problem after they leave.  Ask the EEOC about this too.

This page even gives scientology as an example (search the page for scientology):
http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/religion.html

Then cites some applicable lawsuits in the footnotes:
http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/religion.html#_ftn95
EEOC v. AKZ Mgmt., Inc., Civil Action No. 07-8356 (S.D.N.Y. consent decree filed Sept. 26, 2007) (settlement of religious harassment and disparate treatment claims on behalf of employees who were pressured by management to practice or conform to Scientology).  See Johnson v. Spencer Press of Maine, Inc., 364 F.3d 368 (1st Cir. 2004) (jury properly found harassment was severe and pervasive where supervisor repeatedly insulted plaintiff and mocked his religious beliefs, and threatened him with violence); Sattar, 138 F.3d at 1167 (employee harassed with a barrage of e-mails with dire warnings of the divine punishments that awaited those who refuse to follow Islam); Preferred Mgmt. Corp., 216 F. Supp. 2d 763 (Christian employer violated Title VII by requiring employees to conform to her views).

There is also a case listed in this publication by the EEOC: http://apps.americanbar.org/labor/lel-annualcle/09/materials/data/papers/001-update.pdf

Page 4:
EEOC v. Orrington D.M.D. Ltd., No. 07 C 5317 (N.D. Ill. consent decree entered Jan. 13, 2009) ($462,000 settlement of suit on behalf of 18 charging parties against dentist alleging that he routinely sexually harassed female employees and forced them to participate in Church of Scientology practices, including requiring employees to start each shift with a prayer and requiring them to recite Scientology “formulas” and the Scientology “triangle of understanding,” in some instances on paydays before receiving their checks).

and the one I mentioned previously (page 5 of the PDF):
EEOC v. AKZ Mgmt., Inc., Civil Action No. 07-8356 (S.D.N.Y. consent decree filed Sept. 26, 2007) ($400,000 settlement of religious harassment and disparate treatment claims on behalf of employees who were pressured by management to practice or conform to Scientology).

Here's another case in Oregon:
http://employmentlaw.sussmanshank.com/2012/12/10/employer-may-not-coerce-employee-into-attending-a-scientology-seminar/

The Commissioner of the Oregon Labor and Industries Commissioner recently ordered a Central Oregon dentist to pay $347,654 to a former employee for religious discrimination.  The employee was forced to flee from her job when the dentist ordered her to attend a three-day scientology affiliated symposium or be fired.  The employer badgered the employee for days leading up to the symposium to convince the employee to attend with her co-workers, refused to consider the employee’s objections based on her Christian faith, and rejected the employee’s offer to attend an alternative non-religious training based activity.  The employee recovered lost wages, health benefits, damages for emotional distress and the moving expenses she incurred to move out of state (to Texas) to find work.

There is definitely support for it legally, so contact the EEOC and the State Labor Board for whichever state it's in.  If this is a different country, I feel sure there will be a government agency that deals with this type of issue. 

Does this help?  And let us know what happened when it's over, so we can better help anyone else in a similar situation.   :)
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
You might find these cases of interest.

Former CIO sues Diskeeper claims he was fired for not participating in Scientology training
http://anontube.com/diskeeper_3rd-amended-complaint.pdf
http://realitybasedcommunity.net/archive/2008/12/former_cio_sues.php

Here, Brett Haugen left the official church of Scientology and thenwent to an independent group ( a big non-no in Scientology) and he was fired from his job. He filed this lawsuit, which is still in court, approaching trial down in Pinellas Co FL.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/51571936/Brett-Allen-Haugen-v-David-Singer-Enterprises-Religious-Discrimination-Wrongful-Termination

Your friends have rights. Keep us posted.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline TruthRundown

• New Around Here

The finesse and prescribed manipulation of this system of management, as you all probably all know, is that the employers (who seem to be "brainwashed") will likely have a way to either try to convince these two people to stay with the program as-is, or, will threaten to make these two employees pay for all of the money spent on these expensive scientology-based "management" and "NRT" training courses that they have gone to already.

"NRT" as you describe it sounds a lot like Neurological Relief Technique/Technology, which is another one of David Singer Enterprises offshoots. It was started by a doctor of chiropractic named Paul Whitcomb, who called it the Fibromyalgia Relief Centers.

On July 31, 2009, the Board accepted the judge's report and revoked Whitcomb's license, effective August 31, and ordered him to pay $23,502.50 for the cost of its investigation. (http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/whitcomb.html)

Dr. David  Singer got wind of this, and started selling Dr. Whitcomb's "procedure" to chiropractors as the "end all" to chiropractic practice problems the average chiro experienced.

Just Google Paul Whitcomb to see why this "engagement" took place. Or see http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/whitcomb.html

The truth is, I don't know if Dr. Whitcomb's techinque is the real deal or not, but what I do know, is that is does NOT take Scientology to administer it.

Many of these unsuspecting Chiropractor's get lured in with "the greatest technique that will put Chiropractic on the map," and then slowly get indoctrinated in Scientology beliefs in a very covert fashion over time.

Have your friends search the Internet for "Paul Whitcomb" -- The old site ( I just looked and it's inoperable right now) was http://www.nrc.md/ -- this was 100% operated by David Singer Enterprises.

Another site that still seems to be up is http://www.stopfibro.net/  This site was mainly run by Jim Miller, who is second in commend at David Singer Enterprises.

It's believed that http://www.newhealthcenters.com/index.php is the new business they are operating under. (You will notice their is no contact info at all --unless you read the terms and conditions... which gives the same address as Jim Miller's home address:

New Health Centers, Inc.
Attn: Copyright Agent
1737 Robinhood Ln
Clearwater, FL 33764

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

I was hoping to hear back from you here.  If they still need assistance, you can have the two contact me in confidence via email
xscilentologist @ yahoo .com

I can tell you that there is always a way out of these things....
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

The finesse and prescribed manipulation of this system of management, as you all probably all know, is that the employers (who seem to be "brainwashed") will likely have a way to either try to convince these two people to stay with the program as-is, or, will threaten to make these two employees pay for all of the money spent on these expensive scientology-based "management" and "NRT" training courses that they have gone to already.

"NRT" as you describe it sounds a lot like Neurological Relief Technique/Technology, which is another one of David Singer Enterprises offshoots. It was started by a doctor of chiropractic named Paul Whitcomb, who called it the Fibromyalgia Relief Centers.

On July 31, 2009, the Board accepted the judge's report and revoked Whitcomb's license, effective August 31, and ordered him to pay $23,502.50 for the cost of its investigation. (http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/whitcomb.html)

Dr. David  Singer got wind of this, and started selling Dr. Whitcomb's "procedure" to chiropractors as the "end all" to chiropractic practice problems the average chiro experienced.

Just Google Paul Whitcomb to see why this "engagement" took place. Or see http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/whitcomb.html

The truth is, I don't know if Dr. Whitcomb's techinque is the real deal or not, but what I do know, is that is does NOT take Scientology to administer it.

Many of these unsuspecting Chiropractor's get lured in with "the greatest technique that will put Chiropractic on the map," and then slowly get indoctrinated in Scientology beliefs in a very covert fashion over time.

Have your friends search the Internet for "Paul Whitcomb" -- The old site ( I just looked and it's inoperable right now) was http://www.nrc.md/ -- this was 100% operated by David Singer Enterprises.

Another site that still seems to be up is http://www.stopfibro.net/  This site was mainly run by Jim Miller, who is second in commend at David Singer Enterprises.

It's believed that http://www.newhealthcenters.com/index.php is the new business they are operating under. (You will notice their is no contact info at all --unless you read the terms and conditions... which gives the same address as Jim Miller's home address:

New Health Centers, Inc.
Attn: Copyright Agent
1737 Robinhood Ln
Clearwater, FL 33764

Thanks for posting this information but the bolded link is not correct. Could you modify your post with the correct address?

BTW, Singer and Whitcomb are partners in NEUROLOGIC RELIEF CENTERS LLC
since 2009 ( formerly Fibromyalgia Relief Centers of America )
http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/SearchResultDetail/EntityName/flal-l09000026859-11ccfcc8-f006-4fab-ac2f-435a172492eb/Neurologic%20Relief%20Centers%20LLC/Page1

Offline TruthRundown

• New Around Here
http://www.nrc.md/ was the correct address. It is no inoperable and they have moved operations over to http://www.newhealthcenters.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/NewHealthCenters

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Welcome to the new members. You've received some good information already. I'm confident your friends can extricate themselves.

Best to all involved.0
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
http://www.nrc.md/ was the correct address. It is no inoperable and they have moved operations over to http://www.newhealthcenters.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/NewHealthCenters

BTW, welcome to Reaching For The Tipping Point!
 :w:e:l:c:o:m:e:
Did you also have experience with either or both of these WISE companies?