Author Topic: NN Sunshine Summit Lodge (was Re: Have You Told All? Inside My Time With Narconon and Scientology)  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Confusedhsbnd

• On the path to knowledge
<snip>..."This is also how so many close friendships develop while being a student at Narconon, because it is usually the students who are relied on to get one another through the program.  They share common experiences and rely on each other for support.  That is where the bonds really start to strengthen.  It is also a big reason why a number of student graduates decide to stay on and train to become staff members (though most don't stay long) - to continue to be around people they've developed these relationships with, whether healthy or not.  It is often a form of codependency or transference." </snip>

As students, yes. In my experience, it also depends on the kind of group of people who are there doing the program with you. I never got too close to other students, I guess it was just timing really. But I witnessed other students developing close, fast, intense friendships.
As staff, on my end (Div 1, aka "ethics"), I was encouraged NOT to be their "friends"... ever. Period. On one level, I understood this; my job was to go around and basically enforce dumb rules, the proverbial parent or headmistress. I couldn't risk favoritism.
But, on the other level, there were people I met there, students, whom I really wanted to step up to and be their friend. I saw so many people struggling, I just wanted to sit with them, give 'em a hug. I did develop fondess for so many... But was not allowed to show it. My bosses & co workers were constantly around, I had to maintain a tough bitchy shell showing no care.
I regret that now. I really do. I look back and wish I just said "Fuck em", and spent time with those who needed it most, the ones who struggled like I had. If I weren't an "Ethics Officer" everything would of been different.
Sorry for the rant  :-[[/font]
My wife is now interning at NN sunshine Summit Lodge.  She has told me she wants a divorce and has been talking on the phone on a nightly basis to an "ethics officer". I did confront him over the phone and if he's the type of person he was over the phone I feel bad for the people he is in charge of.   She says she doesn't want anything with him and they are just friends. She knows about the Scientology aspect and she doesn't agree with all the things in the program. She is using the internship for sober time now but I don't have a clue what kind of person she is going to be when she comes home because I have very limited communications with her. She has a cell phone but only uses it for texting people out there and to call home to check on our daughter for a couple of minutes.  She has limited communication with other family members too.  I haven't handled all things correctly in this situation but I am going to counseling and ALANON and just don't understand how she could completely shut off like this. I guess what I want to know is if it's a common thing with NN for a person to act the way she's acting?

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
<snip>..."This is also how so many close friendships develop while being a student at Narconon, because it is usually the students who are relied on to get one another through the program.  They share common experiences and rely on each other for support.  That is where the bonds really start to strengthen.  It is also a big reason why a number of student graduates decide to stay on and train to become staff members (though most don't stay long) - to continue to be around people they've developed these relationships with, whether healthy or not.  It is often a form of codependency or transference." </snip>

As students, yes. In my experience, it also depends on the kind of group of people who are there doing the program with you. I never got too close to other students, I guess it was just timing really. But I witnessed other students developing close, fast, intense friendships.
As staff, on my end (Div 1, aka "ethics"), I was encouraged NOT to be their "friends"... ever. Period. On one level, I understood this; my job was to go around and basically enforce dumb rules, the proverbial parent or headmistress. I couldn't risk favoritism.
But, on the other level, there were people I met there, students, whom I really wanted to step up to and be their friend. I saw so many people struggling, I just wanted to sit with them, give 'em a hug. I did develop fondess for so many... But was not allowed to show it. My bosses & co workers were constantly around, I had to maintain a tough bitchy shell showing no care.
I regret that now. I really do. I look back and wish I just said "Fuck em", and spent time with those who needed it most, the ones who struggled like I had. If I weren't an "Ethics Officer" everything would of been different.
My wife is now interning at NN sunshine Summit Lodge.  She has told me she wants a divorce and has been talking on the phone on a nightly basis to an "ethics officer". I did confront him over the phone and if he's the type of person he was over the phone I feel bad for the people he is in charge of.   She says she doesn't want anything with him and they are just friends. She knows about the Scientology aspect and she doesn't agree with all the things in the program. She is using the internship for sober time now but I don't have a clue what kind of person she is going to be when she comes home because I have very limited communications with her. She has a cell phone but only uses it for texting people out there and to call home to check on our daughter for a couple of minutes.  She has limited communication with other family members too.  I haven't handled all things correctly in this situation but I am going to counseling and ALANON and just don't understand how she could completely shut off like this. I guess what I want to know is if it's a common thing with NN for a person to act the way she's acting?

Your post moved me sir. I will tell you up front that I am in no way an expert on the ins and outs on situations like the one you may be experiencing or how to address it. I can share my personal feelings as to what may be going on here. Please go to and read the following.

Co-dependency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codependency

Offline Blacksheep

Confused,
   Unfortunately your situation is not uncommon even in a legitimate rehabilitation center. Many times a spouse goes through rehab and comes out, while sober, a very different person than who they were when they went in. I've seen many marriages strained due to one spouse or the other struggling to deal with the other getting clean. Some spouses believe the only support they have are their fellow patients. Many times they are scared of getting close to their family members again for fear of disappointing them. Sometimes it's the husband or wife of the patient who has a hard time coping with the fact that they are no longer being relied upon to fix things for their loved one, they have been so used to having their lives revolve around the addict. ST is correct, check out some resources on co dependancy, and possibly the book Codependant No More. It's a miracle worker. That being said, this situation is also different than a normal rehab. There is not a reputable rehab in this country that would ever allow a patient to "go to sleep one night and wake up an employee the next". That is so dangerous to everyone involved. It is also extremely unethical for any employee to have contact with a patient that was not strictly treatment based. Especially after that person has left treatment. You would never be allowed to work in another rehab if caught doing this. You are endangering the patient more than anything else with this kind of behavior. I hope I didn't make anything worse, I just felt like you needed to know. By the way, you are doing the correct thing. Continue to go to ALANON and make sure you keep your daughter safe. Let her know how much you both still care for her.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 17:13 by Blacksheep »

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
I don't think we need to take too lightly, scientology's history of family disconnection, or Narconon's motivations for hiring her as an intern. Lucas and others may have more on that topic.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
I don't think we need to take too lightly, scientology's history of family disconnection, or Narconon's motivations for hiring her as an intern. Lucas and others may have more on that topic.

Confused,

An ethics officer talking nightly to a married woman is not being very ethical.  The thing to do is report the situation to his senior (boss) in writing.  This would be the director of inspections and reports.  If there isnt one of these then the report would go to the personnel and communications supervisor.  They should stop the behavior immediately. 

The next thing to do is report Narconon to the state.  There are state and federal laws which prohibit staff at drug rehabs from starting relationships with their clients for a period of 3-6 months.  This just depends on where you are.

It is very important, regardless of the outcome of your situation to do this as behavior like this typically repeats itself if left unchecked.

As far as your marriage goes, I cannot comment on it as I dont have all the specifics.  If you have the means to go to a licensed marriage counselor I suggest you do that so a professional assessment of the situation can be had, then you can work out what is the best course of action for you.  Its my experience that relationships that have 2 people with substance abuse are in for a long period of healing.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt.  If it doesnt then it is for a reason and this can be dealt with so that you feel good about it and so does she.  It doesnt have to necessarily be a bad thing is what Im getting at. 

Hope this helps, and please report Narconon to the proper authorities.
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Confusedhsbnd, welcome to the forum.  I think you have received some good advice from everyone who responded so far, especially BMF, since he is a former Narconon employee.  I'll add the information for the California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs.

Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs
1700 K Street, Third Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814–4037
Phone: (916) 332–2911
http://www.adp.ca.gov
Licensing and Certification: http://www.adp.ca.gov/feedback/feedback.shtml

Narconon teaches that there are people in the lives of substance abusers who cause problems that exacerbate their substance abuse.  They teach this in "Book 5, the Ups and Downs in Life Course".  Of course, this is not always true, but Narconon teaches it.  It's possible that this is what caused your wife to say she wants a divorce. 
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology

Confused,

An ethics officer talking nightly to a married woman is not being very ethical.  The thing to do is report the situation to his senior (boss) in writing.  This would be the director of inspections and reports.  If there isnt one of these then the report would go to the personnel and communications supervisor.  They should stop the behavior immediately. 

The next thing to do is report Narconon to the state.  There are state and federal laws which prohibit staff at drug rehabs from starting relationships with their clients for a period of 3-6 months.  This just depends on where you are.

It is very important, regardless of the outcome of your situation to do this as behavior like this typically repeats itself if left unchecked.

As far as your marriage goes, I cannot comment on it as I dont have all the specifics.  If you have the means to go to a licensed marriage counselor I suggest you do that so a professional assessment of the situation can be had, then you can work out what is the best course of action for you.  Its my experience that relationships that have 2 people with substance abuse are in for a long period of healing.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt.  If it doesnt then it is for a reason and this can be dealt with so that you feel good about it and so does she.  It doesnt have to necessarily be a bad thing is what Im getting at. 

BMF, good suggestions. However, there is nothing in Confusedhsbnd's comment that suggests that he, himself, has a substance abuse problem. He stated that he's going to Al-Anon, which are meeting for people with loved ones who are alcoholics or substance abusers. It's a support group for the loved ones.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Dear Confusedhsbnd,

Thank you so much for coming to our forum and asking for help on this.

What you are experiencing is the effects of Scientology's ethics policies and theories which are used in the Narconon program. Your wife studied them.

Many grads are encouraged to stay on and intern, as they have been programmed to believe the outside world is too dangerous and the only support they can get is at Narconon.
I am going to tell you the wost case scenario and say that most likely she came to the conclusion that you, and your marriage are an unresolvable obstacle to her recovery and that she needs to disconnect ( sever ties) from you, at least sever the tie to you via severing the marriage.

This could be for many reasons. The course materials go over the characteristics they believe are oppressive and anti-social and if you have one or more of them, she wil be inclined to begin seeing you as anti-social and oppressive to her.  Especially if you voiced any opposition to the Scientology information embedded in the program.  She may well, in fact, like what she's learning and just be pretending not to because she doesn't want any problems with you about it.  Have you expressed hostility or oppositin to Scientology while she's been there? If so, that is correctable in the short term. The idea, however, is to also look at what you think she may be believing about you  from reading the books, which I have bolded below.

What I suggest you do is take some time to read some of the information she read that lead her to this decision.

You can get all the Narconon Program Books -here.
http://offdainnertube.blogspot.com/2010/10/scientologys-narconon-in-legal-trouble.html

The ones you definately want to read are in bold below. Just go to the above link and find them on the page and read them online or save them as a pdf file. The communications books are also informative and may help you understand your conversations with her better. They all are picture books with worksheets for answers.

•Narconon Course 1, Therapeutic TR
Course
•Narconon Course 3, Learning Improvement Course
•Narconon Course 4a, Communication & Perception Course
•Narconon Course 4b, Communication & Perception Course
Narconon Course 5, Ups & Downs in Life Course
•Narconon Course 6, Personal Values and Integrity Course
•Narconon Course 7, Changing Conditions in Life Course

•Narconon Course 8, The Way to Happiness Course
http://offdainnertube.blogspot.com/2010/10/scientologys-narconon-in-legal-trouble.html
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,9728.0.html

The information she learned at Narconon has destroyed many families. Try to understand a bit of why she is thinking that way and come up with some ways to prove you are not what she thinks you are.

I hope this helps. Best wishes and don't hesitate to ask questions or ask for help. Please keep us updated.

Mary
ps: You can see each book by the following individual links on Google Documents, too::

Narconon: Book One
•Narconon Course 1, Therapeutic TR Course
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SYmEyZGVmZWEtOWMyZS00NDZiLWE1ZDktNjE3NTNjMjkzMDM4

•Narconon Course 3, Learning Improvement Course
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SZGUxY2QxYWYtZGQzNC00NzQxLWFlMDMtNmY1YTc1NDVmMDVh

•Narconon Course 4a, Communication & Perception Course
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SMGI1ZDEyODQtZGQzZi00ZjFjLWE1ZjMtMGFiNjk5NzYwOWZk

•Narconon Course 4b, Communication & Perception Course
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SNTcwODU4NTctNGUxZC00MmI5LTk0NWEtZGU2MGNmZTVmYWE5

•Narconon Course 5, Ups & Downs in Life Course
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SMzRhZDU5OWYtYThkMS00YmExLWI5OGQtYTczODdjMTgyYTIy

•Narconon Course 6, Personal Values and Integrity Course
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SMmFiMWE1MjUtYjllNC00M2RjLTliYzUtMjE4NDIxYzRhZmQ1

•Narconon Course 7, Changing Conditions in Life Course
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SMzYyNTlkMzMtOWY0YS00MGUwLTlkODMtZDI0MTMyYjhlMjcy

•Narconon Course 8, The Way to Happiness Course
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SYzU0MTBlNTYtNjFhZC00ODVkLWI2NzUtYzIzYjlkYjM3Njc5

Narconon: Book Two

Book 2 is the : The New Life Detoxification Program Delivery Manual
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/detoxbookpt2.htm

•Full PDF Download (Clear Body, Clear Mind)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SMGI1ZjgzNzEtZmU4NC00NGM0LWFiMDctMDk1NDVlNzEwM2E0

◦Part 1 25 pages
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SNWE4YTI5MDUtNjY5ZC00Zjk0LWIzYzktYTgyM2QxZjEzOTIx

◦Part 2 25 pages
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SZGZlMTEwYzktMzA0YS00ZmZlLWI4NmMtOGFjYzVlZGUyNDI2

◦Part 3 25 pages
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SOTcwMzI1ZTEtNzZjNi00OGY0LWEyY2QtOTdhNzMzODY5Y2U3

◦Part 4 32 pages
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6nxlq1drI2SNGU3NmEwMTQtZjM1ZC00MjJmLTlmMWItMWZkYTg3ZjA5MGQz

I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline BMF

• Potential Trouble Source
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.

Confused,

BMF, good suggestions. However, there is nothing in Confusedhsbnd's comment that suggests that he, himself, has a substance abuse problem. He stated that he's going to Al-Anon, which are meeting for people with loved ones who are alcoholics or substance abusers. It's a support group for the loved ones.

Been to Al-Anon myself, my bad for confusing his counseling with addiction counseling. 
"But now," says the Once-ler, "Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you,
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. Its not!"   - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

Offline Confusedhsbnd

I have considered writing his supervisor but I don't want to be perceived as trying to control her if she found out it was me. She states very clearly this is just a friendship. I want her to make her own decisions. She has stated she is coming home and will do marriage counseling. I don't want to jeopardize that. I realize what she has been taught out there but I am holding on to some hope that once home and gets into some REAL counseling she will start to realize that it's not our relationship that has caused her unhappiness but the drug abuse within it that has caused the turmoil. I have learned that the more I try to persuade her to think one way, the more she rebels to the opposite. She has made mention that she is growing tired of the constant drama out there so I am to the point I want to let her figure it out. It frustrates me till no end that we were duped into placing her there but if she's able to get counseling when home and maintains her sobriety then all is well irregardless of what happens to our relationship. For right now I am there for her by letting her go and letting her make decisions on her own accord because I have masked to many wrong decisions in her life. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if someone called them out but I don't feel it's in my best interest to be the one to do it.  I appreciate all the kind remarks you all have made.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
I have considered writing his supervisor but I don't want to be perceived as trying to control her if she found out it was me. She states very clearly this is just a friendship. I want her to make her own decisions. She has stated she is coming home and will do marriage counseling. I don't want to jeopardize that. I realize what she has been taught out there but I am holding on to some hope that once home and gets into some REAL counseling she will start to realize that it's not our relationship that has caused her unhappiness but the drug abuse within it that has caused the turmoil. I have learned that the more I try to persuade her to think one way, the more she rebels to the opposite. She has made mention that she is growing tired of the constant drama out there so I am to the point I want to let her figure it out. It frustrates me till no end that we were duped into placing her there but if she's able to get counseling when home and maintains her sobriety then all is well irregardless of what happens to our relationship. For right now I am there for her by letting her go and letting her make decisions on her own accord because I have masked to many wrong decisions in her life. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if someone called them out but I don't feel it's in my best interest to be the one to do it.  I appreciate all the kind remarks you all have made.

I think you have written wisely. Just make sure you have a list of possible marriage counselors ready for when she comes home, just in case she suggests Scientology marriage counseling  ;)

Best wishes,
Mary

Offline Confusedhsbnd

Hi everybody,
It's been almost two years since my wife left Narconon. I would like to thank all of you for the kind words and advice while she was there. You all helped me more than youll ever  know.  To give you an update we are still together she is clean (however she relapsed within a month of leaving narconon but we worked through that with counsellors, etc)  When she came back things were weird and communication was strained. It seemed the longer she was home and back in the workforce things progressively got better. We talked a lot about what had gone on during her time there and apologized to each other for some things we said and did. It took about 6 months before we were at a place where we felt things were good between us and we could move forward together and we now have a new baby boy and I've never seen her so happy.
I am still bitter about Making the decision to send her there. Narconon sure knows all the right things to say on those initial phone calls. I realize now it was all a sales pitch and there was no concern for her personal well being. They promised an individual approach and one on one counseling, but neither one of those promises were ever kept. It's a one size fits all approach and if you don't understand what they're "teaching" it's no big deal someone will make sure you move on at some point. The one thing that sticks out in my mind that she discussed is the living situation. They have limited Main campus living quarters and when those are full they move on to putting people in houses away from the main campus. The blue house being for the girls and then there is a male house somewhat close to that house. I'm sure they have more houses but those are the ones I remember. The houses have a staff member in charge but as most of you know the staff members aren't the most responsible people in the world.  Let's just say that  things and people get in those houses. Staff is all ex students and management is a mix, but all upper management seemed to be Scientolgists.
Sorry for the rambling nature of this post but I really just wanted to give you guys an update and tell you thanks. Im not on here everyday but I check it periodically hoping to see Narconon is out of business. If anyone reads this who is thinking about sending a family member to any narconon facility please look elsewhere.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
Hi everybody,
It's been almost two years since my wife left Narconon. I would like to thank all of you for the kind words and advice while she was there. You all helped me more than youll ever  know.  To give you an update we are still together she is clean (however she relapsed within a month of leaving narconon but we worked through that with counsellors, etc)  When she came back things were weird and communication was strained. It seemed the longer she was home and back in the workforce things progressively got better. We talked a lot about what had gone on during her time there and apologized to each other for some things we said and did. It took about 6 months before we were at a place where we felt things were good between us and we could move forward together and we now have a new baby boy and I've never seen her so happy.
I am still bitter about Making the decision to send her there. Narconon sure knows all the right things to say on those initial phone calls. I realize now it was all a sales pitch and there was no concern for her personal well being. They promised an individual approach and one on one counseling, but neither one of those promises were ever kept. It's a one size fits all approach and if you don't understand what they're "teaching" it's no big deal someone will make sure you move on at some point. The one thing that sticks out in my mind that she discussed is the living situation. They have limited Main campus living quarters and when those are full they move on to putting people in houses away from the main campus. The blue house being for the girls and then there is a male house somewhat close to that house. I'm sure they have more houses but those are the ones I remember. The houses have a staff member in charge but as most of you know the staff members aren't the most responsible people in the world.  Let's just say that  things and people get in those houses. Staff is all ex students and management is a mix, but all upper management seemed to be Scientolgists.
Sorry for the rambling nature of this post but I really just wanted to give you guys an update and tell you thanks. Im not on here everyday but I check it periodically hoping to see Narconon is out of business. If anyone reads this who is thinking about sending a family member to any narconon facility please look elsewhere.

Thanks for stopping by and giving us your good news, Confusedhsbnd.  Congratulations on that new baby boy and your family's recovery! I'm so glad you both weathered the Narconon storm.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Thank you for the update, Confusedhsbnd.  These are the kind of success stories we like!  And getting "thanks" like this makes the effort all worthwhile, so thank you for that, too.

Please don't be bitter about having made the decision.  You did the best you could at the time with what you knew.  One doesn't expect that a rehab would so actively lie just to get money.  You were deceived by people who are experts at deception, don't blame yourself for it.   :)

Some of the blame does belong on the licensing agency for letting them continue in business, in my opinion, but most of the blame is on Narconon itself for setting up and running such a scam.
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Hi Confusedhsbnd!! I don't know I missed seeing this!!! Thank you so much for getting back to us here with an update.  It is unfortunate you all had to go through this but you both survived it with your family is intact. That does not always happen. Your thread here has been read nearly 1, 500 times and I am certain your story has helped many people reading it. May all good things come to you and your wife as real recovery continues. We're here if you need us.

Mary