Author Topic: Another Ideal Org denied zoning  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
Another Ideal Org denied zoning
« on: July 14, 2010, 13:47 »
http://www.cityofinglewood.org/agendastaffreports/06-15-10/ph-3.pdf
111 pages, so here's a very brief summary:

City Council denied Cos a special use permit (SP-1089) for use of a church at 315 South Market Street in Inglewood, California.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Re: Another Ideal Org denied zoning
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 18:20 »
There are a lot of similarities to Sandy Springs, even down to the threat of RLUIPA.  The lawyer (Sheri Bonstelle of Jeffer, Mangels, Butler, and Marmaro) almost sounds like she's using Woodson Galloway's playbook, except that Galloway cited 4 holidays during the year, and this lawyer cites 6. 

There also seems to have been much less community involvement in the public meetings than there was in Sandy Springs.

When does the RLUIPA lawsuit have to be filed by, I wonder?  In Sandy Springs, it was within 30 days.  The decision to deny was final on June 15, 2010 - the 30 days is up, today. 
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Stutroup

• Supressive Person
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 20:02 »
Thanks for moving this to the better area :)

Some more similarities: The parking and traffic were called into question because of their claims of a large member base.  As soon as this happened, they insisted their large number of members would smehow not affect parking or traffic issues.

Huh ...... how ... "strange" :P

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 21:16 »
The citizens of Sandy Springs are an impressive group in their level of community involvement. I hope they will continue to inform other neighbors.

There were a few locals at the last protest who admitted they were unaware of who was moving into the Idle Org. I found this somewhat surprising in light of the press and community attention the rezoning matter garnered.

Thanks for your analysis of the Inglewood situation, EC. Very interesting.
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 21:35 »
Thanks for moving this to the better area :)

You're welcome.  :)

Some more similarities: The parking and traffic were called into question because of their claims of a large member base.  As soon as this happened, they insisted their large number of members would smehow not affect parking or traffic issues.

Huh ...... how ... "strange" :P

<--:D-->  I just love it when the lies get rewarded. 

Some pictures of the area.

Before:

The planned:

It is designed to provide the African-American and Hispanic communities of Los Angeles with 210 new auditors every few months.  "Look into Scientology and use it to help your own people to take their place amongst the most brilliant people on Earth."  Such was the LRH message to Black America and...

Uh, oh, there they go again targeting people for their ethnicity.  Inglewood was mentioned in the Clear African American Convention at Flag also - "Briefing On Inglewood," right after the "Briefing on Harlem."

Apparently, Criminon does "a lot of pilot programs out of Inglewood" to try to get government funding.

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scientology-discussion/la-criminon-has-construction-company-labor-union-60767/#post1145403
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Lorelei

• Hill 10 Situation
  • I can haz ferret.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 13:40 »
Has anyone forwarded this info to the Sandy Springs folks? They might find it pertinent to their interests.
"Once the foundation of a revolution has been laid down, it is almost always
in the next generation that the revolution is accomplished." -- Jean d'Alembert

The Human Wiki.
"I spend hours surfing the web for information, so you don't have to!"

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 23:53 »
Has anyone forwarded this info to the Sandy Springs folks? They might find it pertinent to their interests.

I believe I read that someone was doing that on another forum.

In other news.......

Scientology building project in St. Paul looks stalled - Minnesota Public Radio
16 July 2010, 3:23 pm

There's not much activity visible these days at the downtown St. Paul building owned by the Church of Scientology.

Just a few months ago, the place was buzzing as construction crews got busy converting the former Science Museum of Minnesota into the church's new regional offices.

The church bought the building at 505 N. Wabasha St. in 2007. The structure had previously been home to the Minnesota Business Academy, a charter high school that went belly up after running into financial problems.

In April, crews put up construction fences and started filling big metal bins with construction waste. A construction permit indicated the church planned to spend $2.5 million on remodeling. The permit listed an estimated completion date of May 12.

In the past few weeks, activity visible from the street has been minimal. The construction fences, waste bins and material chute are still in place. Several parking meters on Wabasha are hooded.

The church's construction permit remains active, but there are indications the project has stalled. For one thing, the contractor has not asked for an inspection on the construction project, according to records reviewed by Angie Wiese, the public information officer for the city's Department of Safety and Inspections. The most recent inspection was for elevator work in April, she said.

The permit will be good unless work halts for six months. Then the church would need to apply for an extension.

The church's permit for blocking the sidewalk and parking meters on a downtown street could get pulled if work is halted for a significant period.

"The permit is still good right now," said Shannon Tyree, a spokeswoman for St. Paul Public Works. "But it does sound like the contractor may just be closing this out."

more at http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/statewide/archive/2010/07/scientology-building-project-in-st-paul-looks-stalled.shtml

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:03 by mefree »
The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.
-Dalai Lama

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 11:04 »
A little bit more:
Tyree suggested I call the contractor, JE Dunn Construction, for more detail. No one with the company returned my call. Ditto for the Minneapolis office of the Church of Scientology.

I can't imagine that if things were alright between JE Dunn Construction and the local scientology branch that the "church" wouldn't take the opportunity to crow about the building being about to open.

And an update from the blog:
UPDATE 3:05 p.m. Friday: Nothing like questions from a news blogger to generate some activity. Sometime very recently the construction fence on Wabasha came down and the parking meter hoods were removed. It's unclear whether this means the project is done and awaiting inspection, or whether the Church of Scientology has put off its move from Minneapolis.

If the contractor has issues with the "church," possibly with the Dateline Payment policy, and is closing out, as the spokeswoman for St. Paul Public Works suggests, it would make sense that the contractor would take their fences and parking meter hoods off the property.

All just my speculation, of course. 
   Narconon Reviews

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 21:48 »
New information has surfaced in this rezoning application.  The original application was denied.  It has been appealed, and the Planning and Building Department is recommending to the Mayor and City Council that the appeal be denied. 

http://www.cityofinglewood.org/agendastaffreports/11-09-10/ph-1.pdf

The similarities of this to the Sandy Springs rezoning application, which has become a RLUIPA case now, are downright eerie.

There is some more discussion on WWP: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scientology-discussion/cos-denied-planning-permission-inglewood-69341
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 23:42 »
Great news!

BTH, did u read this article ? I just posted a quote from it in the Sandy Springs Opposition thread:

Square Feet
In Pasadena, a Model for Scientology’s Growth PlanBy FRED A. BERNSTEIN
Published: November 9, 2010

[..] But the Pasadena project is just one part of a much larger undertaking for the church: the creation of about 50 new centers in 16 countries.

The global real estate firm CB Richard Ellis is managing the project on behalf of the church. Dana Barbera, a senior director of CB Richard Ellis, said the challenge facing his firm was that the church was seeking to install nearly identical facilities in buildings as distinctive as a resort near Johannesburg, a bank headquarters in Brussels and a hotel in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

His project management team, working with the architecture firm Gensler, which is based in San Francisco, is inserting chapels, private counseling rooms and saunas for purification into each of the newly acquired buildings.

“We have larger clients, but I can’t think of another rollout of this complexity,” said Mr. Barbera, who is based in Los Angeles.

Instructions for the buildings, called “ideal orgs,” are derived from the writings of L. Ron Hubbard, the church’s founder, who died in 1986. According to a Scientology spokesman, Tommy Davis, Mr. Hubbard was “extremely specific” about how the buildings should be laid out. “There’s no interpretation involved,” he said, though he credited David Miscavige, the church’s leader, with driving the project.

Mr. Davis, a second-generation Scientologist, said the buildings, which must be at least 40,000 square feet, cost from $4 million to $20 million each, bringing the price of the current expansion to $500 million. In each case, he said, local parishioners raise money to buy and renovate the buildings.

Bob Wright, the church’s international construction supervisor, said the organization typically looked for buildings “with a presence” in places with significant pedestrian traffic. Those criteria often lead it to historic buildings. Choosing historic buildings gives the church, which was established in 1954, “legitimacy as an established, historical religion and not just some new invention,” said Hugh B. Urban, a professor at Ohio State University who has completed a new book on Scientology.[..]
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/business/10scientology.html?_r=1&src=busln
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline SocialTransparency

• High Value Target
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:52 »

I believe I read that someone was doing that on another forum.

^^^ Has this been forwarded to the SS city attorney? And does anyone have information if this situation has also become a matter within the courts similar to what happened in SS?

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 19:58 »
Well, the denial was overturned. See this thread

http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,6104.0.html
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline mefree

• High Value Target
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 20:03 »
Thanks for linking that, Mary.
-Dalai Lama