Author Topic: NEW: David Singer Enterprises sued for Discrimination, wrongful termination  (Read 12828 times)

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
    • Formerly Fooled Finally Free of The Deceptive Cult Called Scientology
December 25, 2010, 14:54 
Brett Allen Haugen vs David Singer Enterprises, Inc 12/13/2010 Employment /  Civil rights "

Brett Haugen was long time Dir of Promotion and Marketing for Singer Enterprises, Inc but when he was seen in photos of an 'independent scientologists' gathering, he was harassed and then terminated from his job.

He is suing David Singer Enterprises, Inc for Discrimination of Religious Beliefs and wrongful termination of employment because he was discriminated against for his independent scientology belief's which are different than Singer Enterprises, Inc  organized Scientology beliefs.
You can read the case here http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/22/Employ.pdf
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Here is more about David Singer:

http://whyarewedead.net/watd/krasel/dec_ed_hattaway-260201.html
Declaration of Ed Hattaway
26 Feb 2001
I, Edmond Hattaway, declare as follows:

1. I am over the age of 18 years.

2. The statements herein are of my own personal knowledge and if called up as a witness, I can testify competently thereto.

3. It has taken me 7 years to sort through the chain of incredible lies and deceit that duped me out of a fortune and nearly ruined the lives of my family and me. I have decided to come out and state for the record the truth about our financial ruin, all mind you, at the hands of Scientology.

4. I was introduced to LRH technology through the single most lucrative dissemination line for the cult: WISE. This group, which touts itself as a business consulting organization, focuses its resources primarily on doctors. Particularly chiropractors and dentists

5. As a 3rd year chiropractic student, I was introduced to WISE by way of a chiropractic "opinion leader" who taught seminars to students on a particular treatment technique. This guy was held in such high esteem that virtually anything he said was taken to heart by the students. He personally told me that I should read Dianetics.

6. I did and then began to seek out other successful chiropractors who were using "the tech". I found several in my local area who were with a Clearwater-based WlSE organization known as David Singer Enterprises.

7. It should be stated that this group and Sterling Management (which caters primarily to dentists) were at that time, and most probably still are today, the largest FSM (Field Staff Member) organizations in all of scientology. FSM organizations disseminate Scientology to their public and receive a 10% commission for the services that their recruits pay for.

8. The trap I fell into personally, professionally and financially was not set by some wide-eyed cult follower with a message about zenu the intergalactic warlord. I stepped into the mess by following doctors who I saw as successful and as leaders in the field of chiropractic, dentistry and business management!

10. I was introduced to a local mission. Then to a larger org. I was indoctrinated into the concept that if I went "clear" I would be more successful, etc. I ventured on this journey. Borrowing money from my college funds and bank to pursue that self-improvement ideal that would ultimately make
me successful.

11. Looking back, I guess I was prime for this. After all, what is college but an investment in personal improvement that will hopefully lead to greater success in life? So, I fell for the idea that, since I had no real business training, I should listen to what these other successful people had to say. I
went into hock, in the coming three years as I was beginning my career, to go up the Bridge.

12. At the time, I was an associate doctor with another scientologist-chiropractor. He and I became the best of friends and he reinforced my commitment to go up the bridge.

13. By my third year in practice, I was already $20,000 in additional debt, with nothing to really show for it. I then purchased my own practice and began working out of the financial hole I had been digging for three years. I was nearly out of debt when I started getting reged for the OT levels. ...

Finding people's ruin?  Or creating it?

There is more here: Declaration of Ed Hattaway
and here: Declaration of Tera Hattaway
   Narconon Reviews
   Independent Reviews of the Narconon Drug Rehab Programs
   Answers to Frequently Asked But Seldom Answered Questions

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Hattaway & his wife sued CoS in Pinellas County and settled with them, which explains why he's no longer talking about what happened. Thank God his posts and declaration are still up on the net.

Are you the one who told me he's related some how to the Delgados and that family issues forced them to agree to a gag? I can't recall .

In any event, his info is was and continues to be invaluable.
I am a volunteer advocate for victims of the Narconon scam. I am a former scientologist. I post anonymously. Mary McConnell is my long time nom de plume. Feel free to contact me for assistance in righting the wrongs.

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
Are you the one who told me he's related some how to the Delgados and that family issues forced them to agree to a gag? I can't recall .

I think you were the one who told me.   :D
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
hahaha! I think you are right! My mind is still a bit blurry from the pain and medicine from surgery. When this happens, my daughter says " Mom, I think you need to rest. You're getting loopy again"  :D
And she's right.... Just 1 more month of recovery and I'll be walking a cane and the pain.
Sorry for the mixup :)

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
No problem, Mary.  I don't know how you remember all the things you do, you're like a human encyclopedia.

@->->-&:-*
   Narconon Reviews

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
haha! My kids would beg to differ... lol

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
I posted the complaint
http://www.scribd.com/doc/51571936

over at my scribd, just in case the one at courthouse news disappears.
It is currently not linked to the article:
"Employment
     CLEARWATER, Fla. - A marketing director claims David Singer Enterprises fired him after a Scientologist told his bosses he was a "suppressive person," because he had been at a party with former Scientologists. He sued only Singer Enterprises, in Pinellas County Court. "
http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/22/New_Complaints.htm

Offline ethercat

• Global Moderator
  • High Value Target
I posted the complaint
http://www.scribd.com/doc/51571936

over at my scribd, just in case the one at courthouse news disappears.

Always a good idea, and always appreciated.  Thank you.

Narconon Reviews

Offline AnonLover

• Actual Trouble Source
Whatever happened to this case? I see the plaintiffs have a new website:

http://truthrundown.net/why-we-left-scientology/

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Whatever happened to this case? I see the plaintiffs have a new website:

http://truthrundown.net/why-we-left-scientology/

Thanks for that link. I really admire Brett Haugen for suing Singer on this.

The case is still ongoing. They are taking depositions of witnesses, involved parties, preparing for a trial which will be announced at some point unless the settle before that.
https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=550589

Register of Actions
Case No. 10-017291-CI
BRETT ALLEN HAUGEN vs. DAVID SINGER ENTERPRISES INC   §
§
§
§
§
§
§

Case Type:   DISCRIMINATION - EMPLOYMENT OR OTHER
Date Filed:   12/13/2010
Judicial Officer:   BOYER, BRUCE
UNIFORM CASE NUMBER:   522010CA017291XXCICI

Party Information
   Attorneys

DEFENDANT   DAVID SINGER ENTERPRISES INC         

C A SULLIVAN
  Retained
311 SOUTH MISSOURI
CLEARWATER, FL 33756
727-461-1111(W)
  401 B YELVINGTON AVE
  CLEARWATER, FL 33755

PLAINTIFF    HAUGEN, BRETT ALLEN      

TIM DANDAR
  Retained
2240 BELLEAIR RD
STE 190
CLEARWATER, FL 33764

727-536-2100(W)

LUKE C LIROT
  Retained
2240 BELLEAIR ROAD
SUITE 190
CLEARWATER, FL 33764
727-536-2100(W)

Events & Orders of the Court

OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
02/20/2013           NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION
02/20/2013           NOTICE OF APPEARANCE

08/31/2012           NOTICE
Comment: NOTICE DESIGNATION OF EMAIL ADDRESS; VER: F; D
02/15/2012           NOTICE OF FILING
Comment: NOTICE OF FILING ANSWERS TO INTERROGATORIES; VER: F; D
01/30/2012           ORDER GRANTING
Comment: ORDER GRANTING CONTINUATION OF ACTION; VER: F; P
01/30/2012           ATTORNEY COVER LETTER
Comment: ATTORNEY COVER LETTER RCVD BY COURT 012512; VER: F; P
01/30/2012           ATTORNEY COVER LETTER
Comment: ATTORNEY COVER LETTER RCVD BY COURT 011812; VER: F; P
01/17/2012           NOTICE OF SERVICE OF INTERROGATORIES
Comment: NOTICE OF SERVICE OF INTERROGATORIES; VER: F; P
01/17/2012           RESPONSE
Comment: RESPONSE TO NOTICE OF INTENT TO DISMISS; VER: F; P
11/23/2011           NOTICE-LACK OF PROSECUTION MAILED TO PLTF/PLTF ATTY
Comment: NOTICE-LACK OF PROS MLD TO PLTF/PLTF ATTY; VER: N; K
11/23/2011           NOTICE-LACK OF PROS-DISM 000000-MLD AS TO:
Comment: DAVID SINGER ENTERPRISES INC (RMVD FROM MASTER ORDER); VER: N; K
11/23/2011           NOTICE-LACK OF PROS-DISM 000000-MLD AS TO:
Comment: NOTICE-LACK OF PROS-DISM 012312-MLD AS TO:; VER: N; K
01/05/2011           AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES
Comment: AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES; VER: F; D
01/05/2011           ANSWER OF
Comment: ANSWER OF: DAVID SINGER ENTERPRISES INC AND; VER: F; D
12/13/2010           Summons - Fee Paid $
Comment: SUMMONS FEE PAID $10.00; VER: N; P
12/13/2010           Circuit Civil Filing - Fee Paid $
Comment: CIRCUIT CIVIL FILING FEE PAID $400.00; VER: N; P
12/13/2010           SUMMONS ISSUED TO ATTORNEY:
Comment: SUMMONS ISSUED TO ATTORNEY; VER: N; K
12/13/2010           DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL
Comment: DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL; VER: N; P
12/13/2010           CIVIL COVER SHEET
Comment: CIVIL COVER SHEET; VER: F; P
12/13/2010           COMPLAINT
Comment: COMPLAINT; VER: F; P
12/13/2010           THIS CASE ASSIGNED BY CLERK TO SECTION
Comment: THIS CASE ASSIGNED BY CLERK TO SECTION 007 BY 0252 - RANDOM CI; VER: N; P
12/13/2010           CASE FILED

Offline TruthRundown

• New Around Here
Just found there latest Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/NewHealthCenters

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target
Just found there latest Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/NewHealthCenters

Shouldn't this be in the other thread you just posted in?

Offline TruthRundown

• New Around Here

Sorry...just got kicked off the site and trying to figure it out as I'm a newbie to forums...tried to find my previous post and didn't see it so I thought it didn't post.

Offline Mary_McConnell

• High Value Target

No problem! Thanks for getting it to the other thread!

Sorry...just got kicked off the site and trying to figure it out as I'm a newbie to forums...tried to find my previous post and didn't see it so I thought it didn't post.

No problem! Certainly a related link... his other company.

Here is a link to the other thread. Thanks for reporting the links there
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12244.msg30941.html#msg30941